Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Verdict?
Guilty
Not Guilty
Corn
[Show Results]

Chauvin verdict is in...

(04-20-2021, 06:37 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Pelosi....good Lord...term limits please.

Term limits and age limits. Get rid of Pelosi and McConnell. The United States would be a much better place.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-20-2021, 07:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-20-2021, 06:37 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Pelosi....good Lord...term limits please.

Term limits and age limits. Get rid of Pelosi and McConnell. The United States would be a much better place.

There are at least 20 more people to add to that list. Short list includes Feinstein, Waters, and Joe Biden

(04-20-2021, 06:56 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: We don't need term limits. I've thought of a better idea. We need a vote of confidence before someone can run again.

I'll begin the negotiations.  We'll start with one of those freezers
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2021, 07:57 PM by mikesez.)

(04-20-2021, 06:56 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: We don't need term limits. I've thought of a better idea. We need a vote of confidence before someone can run again.

I thought of that first!
In seriousness though, her district is so extremely liberal and so extremely wealthy that she's totally safe, even if her voters have to do a two-step process like you suggest.
That we have a region of the country like San Francisco that sends people to Congress who are so far out of step with what most people want is one problem. I don't think there's like a voting or election reform type of solution to that problem.
That she ends up in charge of all of the Democrats in the entire house of representatives, is a totally separate problem. That's a problem I think you could fix with election reform, so that the other Democrats who end up getting elected feel less beholden to her. I think approval voting, or ranked choice voting, would give you some new blood. A better process would force them to answer more questions than just "are you a democrat?" A better process would give voters an opportunity to not just decide that they want to be represented by a Democrat or a republican, but to express an opinion about what kind of person they would like to see in leadership in congress. And I think the same is true of Republican leadership in both Houses. Only like 13 out of 270+ Republicans ever turned on Trump, and none of them were committee chairs. That's insane.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2021, 08:10 PM by Lucky2Last.)

Post it the link, and I'll give you credit. Until then, I will believe it was my idea.  Cool

If we had a vote of confidence for any sitting politician in their own district, I think they'd stop pandering so much to corporations once they realized they could be voted out if people felt they weren't looking out for them. If we wanted to cut costs, you could make it a function of a normal election, thus putting a limit of two terms for every politician unless the people extend it. So, Pelosi is up for re-election after her first term. She might win her district, but with a vote of no-confidence. She can complete her second term, but she can't run again. Or she could win again with a vote of confidence and continue for another term. I don't think you make this an option for the President, but you could do this for the House and Senate. Also, I'd like to see us go back to the original way we elected Senators.

(04-20-2021, 08:10 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Post it the link, and I'll give you credit. Until then, I will believe it was my idea.  Cool

If we had a vote of confidence for any sitting politician in their own district, I think they'd stop pandering so much to corporations once they realized they could be voted out if people felt they weren't looking out for them. If we wanted to cut costs, you could make it a function of a normal election, thus putting a limit of two terms for every politician unless the people extend it. So, Pelosi is up for re-election after her first term. She might win her district, but with a vote of no-confidence. She can complete her second term, but she can't run again. Or she could win again with a vote of confidence and continue for another term. I don't think you make this an option for the President, but you could do this for the House and Senate. Also, I'd like to see us go back to the original way we elected Senators.

OK so you still vote for them because you don't have a real option, but vote no contest. I'm not sure it would work. If you limit it to primaries by party voting only it would be better but probably wouldn't have much impact. In the general vote it would probably end up like the regular vote.

They really need to just do term limits and freeze all individual stocks. Either you sell all your individual stocks or they are frozen until you leave office. You can buy mutual funds if you want. No real estate purchases, business deals, etc. Every member of your family is audited every year and must justify all income and must document any potential conflict of interest with business dealings.

Then end book deals and speaking fees, a ton of money is laundered through book signings. If you remove the incentive to get rich, most of these people will leave on their own.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Well, it's kind of the same as term limits, but with the possibility of extension if the people feel their representative is doing a good job. No reason to punish good politicians. We just need a way to hold them accountable. I like the idea of putting a freeze on individual stocks while in office. Not sure about the book signing restriction, though I agree it's a way to launder money.

We could take this idea and do the same with journalists, too. Make all news non-profits and give the public the opportunity to oust bad journalists.

(04-20-2021, 09:59 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Well, it's kind of the same as term limits, but with the possibility of extension if the people feel their representative is doing a good job. No reason to punish good politicians. We just need a way to hold them accountable. I like the idea of putting a freeze on individual stocks while in office. Not sure about the book signing restriction, though I agree it's a way to launder money.

We could take this idea and do the same with journalists, too. Make all news non-profits and give the public the opportunity to oust bad journalists.

Yeah keeping good ones would be great but it would create the same problem you just got rid of. All of the old members are there because of their money and power. Most of them are viewed favorable in their own districts.

Journalists would be great to make them non-profit but that wouldn't do enough. You would probably have parties funding them or running like NPR. It really wouldn't change anything other than the owners not getting rich. Maybe tag them all as opinions and force them to remove news from titles, shows, pages, etc. Not sure how to fix that other forcing only facts to be printed and no anonymous source stuff. Then heavy fines and closing if you print untruthful info.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

There are already penalties for false or misleading news stories.
The person they lied about is free to speak up about it. Similar to how the South Florida Democrat politician spoke up about the 60 minutes story that was intended to smear Publix and DeSantis. I don't think anyone still believed the 60 minutes story after that.

(04-21-2021, 08:20 AM)mikesez Wrote: There are already penalties for false or misleading news stories.
The person they lied about is free to speak up about it.  Similar to how the South Florida Democrat politician spoke up about the 60 minutes story that was intended to smear Publix and DeSantis.  I don't think anyone still believed the 60 minutes story after that.

Refuting stories is becoming more difficult because the left is taking active measures to silence dissent. Lester Holt declared “fairness is overrated”.

There is a clearly discernible effort to label opposing views as dangerous for ‘legitimate’ grounds to ban them.

Mike's an optimist that wants to believe the authority really just has the people's best interest at heart. He takes all the evidence that counters that narrative with a grain of salt. He shouldn't. It's overwhelming at this point.

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2021, 08:58 AM by mikesez.)

Back on topic, it doesn't matter how you arrange the ballot and voting procedure in San Fran, Nancy Pelosi wins that district if she runs.

(04-21-2021, 08:57 AM)mikesez Wrote: Back on topic, it doesn't matter how you arrange the ballot and voting procedure in San Fran, Nancy Pelosi wins that district if she runs.

Only the grim reaper can save them.

(04-20-2021, 06:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Why is the  president speaking on this?

Because our last President failed to adequately address racial issues.

(04-21-2021, 10:13 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-20-2021, 06:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Why is the  president speaking on this?

Because our last President failed to adequately address made up racial issues.

ftfy
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2021, 10:18 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(04-20-2021, 07:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Term limits and age limits. Get rid of Pelosi and McConnell. The United States would be a much better place.

What's the age limit ? Just need to make certain we have 40 more years of AOC and MJG to get this country on the right path ....... sarcasm

Joe Biden will give money to China before he gives money to HBCU's..

LOL. Is that what Biden is doing? He is more divisive than Obama, and that takes effort.

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2021, 10:46 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

If you really believe this garbage all hope is lost.

You're a moron.

Seriously... the office of the President transcends the petty BS of "racial" issues. That's something that will never change. Ever. African tribes thought they were superior to other African tribes and made them into slaves. Romans thought they were superior to the German barbarians... made them into slaves. There will always be racial issues... there will always be people that hate others based on skin color. But our nation is not an African tribe.. it's not the Roman empire.. institutional racism is gone. Are some individuals in those institutions racist, yes, and that will NEVER be corrected - unless you eradicate the entirety of the human race. But blatant institutional racism no longer exists.

(04-21-2021, 10:43 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 10:13 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Because our last President failed to adequately address racial issues.

If you really believe this garbage all hope is lost.

You're a moron.

Consider the source..