Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Judge Orders Los Angeles to House Every Homeless Person on Skid Row by Oct. 18

Judge Orders Los Angeles to House Every Homeless Person on Skid Row by Oct. 18

In an injunction that labeled California’s homeless crisis an illustration of racism at work, a federal judge has ordered that all of the homeless people living along Skid Row in Los Angeles be offered housing within six months.

https://conservativepost.com/judge-order...YecTezkc4Y
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not sure how they're going to do this. Where are these folks going to live? And how do you deal with the ones who refuse? Those with mental illness who have no concept of what it is to live in a dwelling? There is a homeless fellow in my county who is like this. I don't know how he got to where he is mentally but he has post traumatic stress from something and he cannot understand the thought process of living life as the average person does with a job, a place to live, family, etc.

Sadly my county does not want to acknowledge the homeless problem we have which means they don't want to acknowledge the mental illness that contributes to a lot of it, so folks like him are screwed. Nor do they talk about the ridiculous cost of living that causes so many to be homeless here. I'd say at least a quarter to a third of our homeless is due to lack of affordable housing whether its rentals or home buying. These folks/families are employed but for one reason or another found themselves homeless and couldn't afford to move into another dwelling. We are a golf mecca which draws wealthy people here to live/retire and play. They are the 1% who own a lot of property, schmooze with those who do and influence a lot of policies here.

(04-24-2021, 01:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm not sure how they're going to do this. Where are these folks going to live? And how do you deal with the ones who refuse? Those with mental illness who have no concept of what it is to live in a dwelling? There is a homeless fellow in my county who is like this. I don't know how he got to where he is mentally but he has post traumatic stress from something and he cannot understand the thought process of living life as the average person does with a job, a place to live, family, etc.

Sadly my county does not want to acknowledge the homeless problem we have which means they don't want to acknowledge the mental illness that contributes to a lot of it, so folks like him are screwed. Nor do they talk about the ridiculous cost of living that causes so many to be homeless here. I'd say at least a quarter to a third of our homeless is due to lack of affordable housing whether its rentals or home buying. These folks/families are employed but for one reason or another found themselves homeless and couldn't afford to move into another dwelling. We are a golf mecca which draws wealthy people here to live/retire and play. They are the 1% who own a lot of property, schmooze with those who do and influence a lot of policies here.

It's only offered, not forced so all could refuse.

No one can deal with the mental issues because there is no where to put them. You can legally commit them and even if you could there are no state facilities available. They don't stay on meds or have access to them so it's just a cycle where at best you can baker act them for a few days and get them meds.

I agree that anyone with a job, given some minimum requirements, should get top priority for assistance. People sitting at home for a long time should have assistance lessened over time down to a minimum.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

It's interesting if you dig into this case. The request for the injunction was brought by "L.A. Alliance for Human Rights, a coalition of downtown businesses and residents." They've been suing the city to get these people off the streets. I think they're probably sick of those homeless people camping out on the sidewalks, defecating in the streets, and in general destroying the businesses and quality of life in the area.

https://www.whittierdailynews.com/2021/0...njunction/

Ideally, it would be great to house all the homeless, but practically, it's impossible. If it was such an easy fix, it would have been done by now. Where will they be housed? Who's in charge of the move? Where will the money come from? These are all issues standing in the way that have to be dealt with.

There are vacant homes in the LA area. In theory, and if money was no object, you could get each homeless person into one. The problem is you can only do that kind of trick once. Once word gets out that they're giving away homes in LA, you'll have a whole new batch of homeless people show up looking for their turn.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginal...f=1&nofb=1]

(04-24-2021, 07:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: There are vacant homes in the LA area.  In theory, and if money was no object, you could get each homeless person into one.  The problem is you can only do that kind of trick once.  Once word gets out that they're giving away homes in LA, you'll have a whole new batch of homeless people show up looking for their turn.

You may be able to get them into the vacant homes, but people/banks still own the property and they're gonna need to get paid. On top of that, the homeless are still gonna need utilities and where's that money coming from?

(04-25-2021, 01:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-24-2021, 07:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: There are vacant homes in the LA area.  In theory, and if money was no object, you could get each homeless person into one.  The problem is you can only do that kind of trick once.  Once word gets out that they're giving away homes in LA, you'll have a whole new batch of homeless people show up looking for their turn.

You may be able to get them into the vacant homes, but people/banks still own the property and they're gonna need to get paid. On top of that, the homeless are still gonna need utilities and where's that money coming from?

I said "if money was no object"...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-25-2021, 09:30 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 01:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You may be able to get them into the vacant homes, but people/banks still own the property and they're gonna need to get paid. On top of that, the homeless are still gonna need utilities and where's that money coming from?

I said "if money was no object"...

Agreed. I wasn't really posing the question to you, more less it was aimed at the judge. I just don't understand how he can order such a thing without laying out some kind of logistics.

This will be a repeat of what happened here when they came up with the harebrained idea of putting the homeless in hotels - they started showing up in droves.

LOL.  How is that even theoretically possible?  What is a "vacant" home and who owns them?  

BTW  "Housing" homeless people doesn't actually mean giving them a house.  

PS  If money was no object, they would already be housed.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

So, a coalition of businesses and residents in LA, who are desperate to get the homeless off their streets, brought this lawsuit.

I'm not taking a side when I ask this, but it has to be asked. What would you (yes, you) do about all those homeless people who are ruining businesses and the quality of life of those residents in the areas where they are camped out?

There are too many reasons why this is a problem in the first place for it to be any one person, group, or task force to tackle. That's the bare bones fact.

(04-25-2021, 01:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, a coalition of businesses and residents in LA, who are desperate to get the homeless off their streets, brought this lawsuit.  

I'm not taking a side when I ask this, but it has to be asked.  What would you (yes, you) do about all those homeless people who are ruining businesses and the quality of life of those residents in the areas where they are camped out?

If it was me around my residence...  well duh...  round them up and bus them to San Francisco for "free" housing.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The average home price in Compton (former gang area) is now $495,000. They'd have to place them in low income housing that requires absolutely no maintenance and no utility payments, etc.  That said, it would almost have to be isolated because existing residents would protest otherwise.

(04-25-2021, 01:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, a coalition of businesses and residents in LA, who are desperate to get the homeless off their streets, brought this lawsuit.  

I'm not taking a side when I ask this, but it has to be asked.  What would you (yes, you) do about all those homeless people who are ruining businesses and the quality of life of those residents in the areas where they are camped out?

You have to acknowledge that liberal/progressive policies created this problem in the first place. The solution to this, at this point, would have to be draconian unless you are willing to throw tons of money at the problem, which creates an entirely different set of problems.

(04-25-2021, 09:06 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:

You have to acknowledge that liberal/progressive policies created this problem in the first place. The solution to this, at this point, would have to be draconian unless you are willing to throw tons of money at the problem, which creates an entirely different set of problems.

So you would leave them there.

Did I say that? I said you either have to be authoritarian, or throw lots of money at the problem. You can't just institute a reasonable solution at this point, because democratic policies caused the problem to grow out of control. It's estimated that there are close to 161,000 homeless in CA, up 7% since Covid. Illegal immigration contributes to the problem, but Cali doesn't record that, so we don't really know how much it's contributing. I'd suspect you'd see this group represented the highest in homeless families, but that's a small portion of the homeless problem in CA. There are 22,000 people (8k adults and 14k children) that are homeless, and they are the most likely to use the shelters provided by the state. So, when we are talking about Cali's visible homeless problem, it's mostly single people living on the street. MOST of those people are in-state, not out-of-state like some people like to claim (I believe it was 92% of homeless are CA natives). It's estimated that 2/3 of all homeless in LA have substance abuse issues. And for the social justice morons on this board, 30% of the homeless in CA are black, which represents the highest homeless rate per capita for blacks in this country. That's a MASSIVE problem. You're not just building buildings to solve this.

Every single one of these issues was created by bad democratic policies on illegal immigration, criminality, drug acceptance, rent control, building regulations, high taxes, deemphasis on the nuclear family, etc. Well, guess what? Just like most of their policies, what looks good in the name of helping people ends up doing more harm than good. Almost every single one of those issues needs to be addressed in some form or another, but liberal and progressive dupes won't stop voting for these charlatans.

So, to solve this problem, CA firstly needs stronger policing (which prosecutes drug crimes and removes the homeless from areas they shouldn't be), they need make drug treatment mandatory for those with substance abuse issues and re-open mental institutions, they need stronger border control, and they need to make efficient housing the goal instead of idealistic housing, which means deregulating building standards (especially environmental regulations), and allowing business to compete to make low-income housing. That's a start.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 08:24 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-26-2021, 08:07 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Did I say that? I said you either have to be authoritarian, or throw lots of money at the problem. You can't just institute a reasonable solution at this point, because democratic policies caused the problem to grow out of control. It's estimated that there are close to 161,000 homeless in CA, up 7% since Covid. Illegal immigration contributes to the problem, but Cali doesn't record that, so we don't really know how much it's contributing. I'd suspect you'd see this group represented the highest in homeless families, but that's a small portion of the homeless problem in CA. There are 22,000 people (8k adults and 14k children) that are homeless, and they are the most likely to use the shelters provided by the state. So, when we are talking about Cali's visible homeless problem, it's mostly single people living on the street. MOST of those people are in-state, not out-of-state like some people like to claim (I believe it was 92% of homeless are CA natives). It's estimated that 2/3 of all homeless in LA have substance abuse issues. And for the social justice morons on this board, 30% of the homeless in CA are black, which represents the highest homeless rate per capita for blacks in this country. That's a MASSIVE problem. You're not just building buildings to solve this.

Every single one of these issues was created by bad democratic policies on illegal immigration, criminality, drug acceptance, rent control, building regulations, high taxes, deemphasis on the nuclear family, etc. Well, guess what? Just like most of their policies, what looks good in the name of helping people ends up doing more harm than good. Almost every single one of those issues needs to be addressed in some form or another, but liberal and progressive dupes won't stop voting for these charlatans.

So, to solve this problem, CA firstly needs stronger policing (which prosecutes drug crimes and removes the homeless from areas they shouldn't be), they need make drug treatment mandatory for those with substance abuse issues and re-open mental institutions, they need stronger border control, and they need to make efficient housing the goal instead of idealistic housing, which means deregulating building standards (especially environmental regulations), and allowing business to compete to make low-income housing. That's a start.

I agree with a lot of that, but when you say, "...removes the homeless from areas they shouldn't be...," where would you put them?  

In other words, the homeless which are clogging certain areas of LA, ruining local businesses and ruining the quality of life of the local residents, which brought about this lawsuit, what would do you about that situation?

You think I'm a liberal because I ask questions, but not every question is a trap and not every question is designed to initiate an argument.  Sometimes, I am just curious about people's views on things.