Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Virginia moving to eliminate all accelerated math courses

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-acce...ses-equity

Joe Bidens America, but deserved its own thread.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Don't you know math is racist........ </sarcasm>
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

This country is in its Idiocracy phase quickly heading towards the Purge phase.

"Let me be totally clear, we are talking about taking Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 – those three courses that we've known and loved ... and removing them from our high school mathematics program, replacing them with essential concepts for grade eight, nine, and 10."

So in other words, these kids are too stupid to be taught advanced mathematics. But yeah, lets keep indoctrinating these kids to fit the teachers political beliefs. That'll solve all of these educational problems..

[BLEEP] idiots..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

He's saying that there would be "opportunity for differentiated instruction" within the curriculum. But if every 9th grader is in a course called "9th grade math", how can there be any record of if the student got a more or less challenging version of that course? This is a very bad idea and should not be considered.
If there are poor schools where few students qualify for advanced math, the solution is to bus those students to a school that has the resources to teach advanced math, for at least part of the day.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 11:03 AM by SeldomRite.)

(04-23-2021, 10:58 AM)mikesez Wrote: He's saying that there would be "opportunity for differentiated instruction" within the curriculum.  But if every 9th grader is in a course called "9th grade math", how can there be any record of if the student got a more or less challenging version of that course?  This is a very bad idea and should not be considered.
If there are poor schools where few students qualify for advanced math, the solution is to bus those students to a school that has the resources to teach advanced math, for at least part of the day.

I don't know how it's done now, but decades ago in the dark ages when I was starting at UF, students that wanted to start college taking something beyond remedial material took a placement test.

The amount of hair on fire hysteria I see on this section of the board about every little thing any democrat might do is ridiculous.

(04-23-2021, 11:03 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 10:58 AM)mikesez Wrote: He's saying that there would be "opportunity for differentiated instruction" within the curriculum.  But if every 9th grader is in a course called "9th grade math", how can there be any record of if the student got a more or less challenging version of that course?  This is a very bad idea and should not be considered.

I don't know how it's done now, but decades ago in the dark ages when I was starting at UF, students that wanted to start college taking something beyond remedial material took a placement test.

The amount of hair on fire hysteria I see on this section of the board about every little thing any democrat might do is ridiculous.

Not might do, they ARE doing. And it just shows how stupid and ignorant ALL DEMOCRATS ARE... It shows that Democrats are fostering and encouraging ignorance. That way the populace is easy to control. They are creating generations of poverty stricken SLAVES, and there you are, cheering it on.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

That's because it's the democrats who want to destroy this country..

Shoot em all to the moon..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

2+2=white supremacy

(04-23-2021, 11:07 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 11:03 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I don't know how it's done now, but decades ago in the dark ages when I was starting at UF, students that wanted to start college taking something beyond remedial material took a placement test.

Not might do, they ARE doing. And it just shows how stupid and ignorant ALL DEMOCRATS ARE... It shows that Democrats are fostering and encouraging ignorance. That way the populace is easy to control. They are creating generations of poverty stricken SLAVES, and there you are, cheering it on.

This level of us vs them hysteria is what I'm talking about. When someone acts like that I imagine them being the same guy who years ago would have been standing on the corner of a busy intersection with their pants on their head yelling about conspiracies.

How does this change (if it even happens?) make anyone easier to control? In my experience most people seem to have no ability to understand math past basic arithmetic, anyway.

(04-23-2021, 11:16 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 11:07 AM)Ronster Wrote: Not might do, they ARE doing. And it just shows how stupid and ignorant ALL DEMOCRATS ARE... It shows that Democrats are fostering and encouraging ignorance. That way the populace is easy to control. They are creating generations of poverty stricken SLAVES, and there you are, cheering it on.

This level of us vs them hysteria is what I'm talking about. When someone acts like that I imagine them being the same guy who years ago would have been standing on the corner of a busy intersection with their pants on their head yelling about conspiracies.

How does this change (if it even happens?) make anyone easier to control? In my experience most people seem to have no ability to understand math past basic arithmetic, anyway.

You are a cheerleader for the left, anything you say is biased. You seem to want an ignorant populace. We are only as strong as our weakest link. We need to PUSH people to be uncomfortable. It should be hard, do you think our enemies of the world are encouraging their populaces to be stupid? lol... You are showing your racism, by the soft bigotry of low expectations. I've always said it, DEMOCRATS are the real racist and they prove it everyday. And yes, its time to yell fire...
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-23-2021, 11:21 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 11:16 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: This level of us vs them hysteria is what I'm talking about. When someone acts like that I imagine them being the same guy who years ago would have been standing on the corner of a busy intersection with their pants on their head yelling about conspiracies.

You are a cheerleader for the left, anything you say is biased. You seem to want an ignorant populace. We are only as strong as our weakest link. We need to PUSH people to be uncomfortable. It should be hard, do you think our enemies of the world are encouraging their populaces to be stupid? lol... You are showing your racism, by the soft bigotry of low expectations. I've always said it, DEMOCRATS are the real racist and they prove it everyday. And yes, its time to yell fire...

What does any of this have to do with race, and could you explain how this change let's expectations for anyone?

(04-23-2021, 11:23 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 11:21 AM)Ronster Wrote: You are a cheerleader for the left, anything you say is biased. You seem to want an ignorant populace. We are only as strong as our weakest link. We need to PUSH people to be uncomfortable. It should be hard, do you think our enemies of the world are encouraging their populaces to be stupid? lol... You are showing your racism, by the soft bigotry of low expectations. I've always said it, DEMOCRATS are the real racist and they prove it everyday. And yes, its time to yell fire...

What does any of this have to do with race, and could you explain how this change let's expectations for anyone?

Really? If you don't know, then why are you even replying to this thread? EVERYONE that is paying attention knows that they are doing this; so black kids that won't study don't feel bad. Some communities are even going so far as to say that a correct math answer is RACIST. Which means by their logic, 2+2 doesn't necessarily mean it equals 4.

Keep coming this way, Mike. You're beginning to see what the destruction of the "cultural hegemony" in America actually looks like.

(04-23-2021, 11:27 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 11:23 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: What does any of this have to do with race, and could you explain how this change let's expectations for anyone?

Really? If you don't know, then why are you even replying to this thread? EVERYONE that is paying attention knows that they are doing this; so black kids that won't study don't feel bad. Some communities are even going so far as to say that a correct math answer is RACIST. Which means by their logic, 2+2 doesn't necessarily mean it equals 4.

I don't pay attention to what people are losing it over on a regular basis. If your beliefs have logical underpinnings and are sincerely held then I figured you could explain it to me.

To be followed with TLDR.

[Image: vmnj3.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 12:41 PM by p_rushing.)

You can't do that any more. I passed calculus a/b ap (2 or whatever it was called) and still had to take an intro math for business class. The instructor told me I didn't need the class but there wasn't anything he could do. Same thing from the dean's office.

This just ensures colleges can create more required classes to catch the kids up that can't do math.

That was a while ago, so I'm sure it is worse now.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

I was advised to take the most advanced math available in high school. That was AP Calculus AB. I did OK in that course. But that class teaches you how to pass the AP test. That's it.
Some of the best advice I ever got was to re-take it in college. If I had learned calculus to the extent that you need to to understand an engineering textbook, it'd be an easy A. If not, well, I should be glad for a second opportunity to learn it thoroughly. Turns out I needed to take it again.
Math is the language of logic. It's basically a foreign language for all humans.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2021, 07:48 AM by The Real Marty.)

Why do we have to twist these stories to make a point?   The headline says, "Virginia moving to eliminate all accelerated math courses."  That is lying by omission.  Virginia is moving to eliminate all accelerated math courses before the 11th grade.  

We can argue all we want about the merits of it, but we should at least be factually accurate.