Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
"Edge" vs "OLB"

Please tell me, because I have been wondering about this, in a 3-4 defense, what is the difference between an "edge player" and an OLB?  Or is there any difference?  It seems to me that in a 3-4, the OLBs need to be able to cover in space as well as rush the passer.  It also seems to me that any LB who has the physical tools to cover in space would also be able to rush the passer.  Easily.  

When people say the Jags need edge pass rushers, I think it would be more accurate to say we need OLBs.  Any OLB can rush the passer. 

Agree or disagree?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 06:25 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-23-2021, 06:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Please tell me, because I have been wondering about this, in a 3-4 defense, what is the difference between an "edge player" and an OLB?  Or is there any difference?  It seems to me that in a 3-4, the OLBs need to be able to cover in space as well as rush the passer.  It also seems to me that any LB who has the physical tools to cover in space would also be able to rush the passer.  Easily.  

When people say the Jags need edge pass rushers, I think it would be more accurate to say we need OLBs.  Any OLB can rush the passer. 

Agree or disagree?

Allen and Chaisson are both edge guys who can play a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.  Edge guy is ine who can play both instead of just labeling him one or the other

(04-23-2021, 06:25 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Please tell me, because I have been wondering about this, in a 3-4 defense, what is the difference between an "edge player" and an OLB?  Or is there any difference?  It seems to me that in a 3-4, the OLBs need to be able to cover in space as well as rush the passer.  It also seems to me that any LB who has the physical tools to cover in space would also be able to rush the passer.  Easily.  

Agree or disagree?

Allen and Chaisson are both edge guys who can play a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.  Edge guy is ine who can play both instead of just labeling him one or the other

So you're saying all these "edge" guys in the draft can cover?

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 06:58 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-23-2021, 06:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:25 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Allen and Chaisson are both edge guys who can play a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.  Edge guy is ine who can play both instead of just labeling him one or the other

So you're saying all these "edge" guys in the draft can cover?

The edge guys in the draft should be able to play both positions.  They should be able to cover some if they plan on dropping them into coverage.  They are usually a tweener and a little lighter than a 4-3 DE guy who just plays with his hand in the dirt.

(04-23-2021, 06:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So you're saying all these "edge" guys in the draft can cover?

The edge guys in the draft should be able to play both positions.  They should be able to cover some if they plan on dropping them into coverage.  They are usually a tweener and a little lighter than a 4-3 DE guy who just plays with his hand in the dirt.

So an "edge" player is really a 3-4 OLB?

(04-23-2021, 07:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The edge guys in the draft should be able to play both positions.  They should be able to cover some if they plan on dropping them into coverage.  They are usually a tweener and a little lighter than a 4-3 DE guy who just plays with his hand in the dirt.

So an "edge" player is really a 3-4 OLB?

In today's game pretty much

EDGE is just a better catchall term for 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB since both of their primary responsibilities are getting to the QB and in most cases they have interchangeable skill sets.

(04-23-2021, 07:45 AM)Upper Wrote: EDGE is just a better catchall term for 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB since both of their primary responsibilities are getting to the QB and in most cases they have interchangeable skill sets.

I don't agree that a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB have interchangeable skill sets.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 08:08 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-23-2021, 07:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 07:45 AM)Upper Wrote: EDGE is just a better catchall term for 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB since both of their primary responsibilities are getting to the QB and in most cases they have interchangeable skill sets.

Only the ones that can play both are edge guys.  Calais Campbell isnt a edge guy, Kwity Paye isn't an edge guy, he is a 4-3 end imo

I like Paye and would still like if we get him but I wouldn't stand him up and rush from the edge just like I wouldn't do that with CC. I want their hand in the dirt in a 4-3 D or even moving inside on passing downs

(04-23-2021, 06:25 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Agree or disagree?

Chaisson is certainly not an "edge guy." He is strictly a 3-4 OLB. He proved that last season by flopping as a 4-3 DE. The entire reason we changed schemes this season is because we weren't getting any pass rush, due to our DE's playing out of position. Both were 3-4 OLB's in college. The problem is that Caldwell thought they were interchangeable and he was wrong.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 08:59 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-23-2021, 08:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:25 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Allen and Chaisson are both edge guys who can play a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.  Edge guy is ine who can play both instead of just labeling him one or the other

Chaisson is certainly not an "edge guy." He is strictly a 3-4 OLB. He proved that last season by flopping as a 4-3 DE. The entire reason we changed schemes this season is because we weren't getting any pass rush, due to our DE's playing out of position. Both were 3-4 OLB's in college. The problem is that Caldwell thought they were interchangeable and he was wrong.

Chaisson was raw coming in with no off season or preseason.  The last quarter of the season he was rates out as one of the better pass rushers and getting pressures.  Was clear as day is was getting better and better towards the end of the season.  Even if we stay in a 4-3 there is no reason not to believe he would continue to get better, his arrow was pointing up at the end of last season.  Chaisson is your typical edge guy along with Allen, Allen made the Pro Bowl his rookie year and had 10 sacks lol in a 4-3 and was rookie defensive player of the year runner up lol. I feel a 3-4 will be best for both but they can play both positions

Based on this discussion, it seems like we should dispense with the term "edge," which is too vague, and distinguish between a 4-3 DE, a 3-4 DE, a 4-3 OLB, and a 3-4 OLB. And what the Jaguars would draft is not an "edge." It would be a 3-4 OLB.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 09:13 AM by Dimson.)

They are called edge because they play on the edge of the defensive front. DE is the "edge" in a 4 man front and an OLB is the "edge" in a 3 man front.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-23-2021, 09:12 AM)Dimson Wrote: They are called edge because they play on the edge of the defensive front. DE is the "edge" in a 4 man front and an OLB is the "edge" in a 3 man front.

Which means they are lumping two distinct positions together under one vague term.

Isn't that why some people talk about 0-technique, 1-technique etc? It tells you where they line up.

(04-23-2021, 07:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

You're simply just getting too caught up in the labels, which don't really matter at the end of the day. And yes, they're absolutely interchangeable.

I mean perfect example off the top of my head and there's plenty of other cases as well...

Jason Pierre-Paul played DE with the Giants in their 4-3. He's listed as a OLB in the Bucs' 3-4. He's basically doing the same exact thing as he did with the Giants as he's doing with the Bucs, he just has a different position listed on paper.