Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chiefs trade for Orlando Brown

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 03:21 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

A

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...72103?s=19

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-23-2021, 03:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...72103?s=19

Good deal for both teams, IMO.

I kinda wish the Jaguars had pulled off this deal.

At minimum, Baltimore is a threat to package both #1s to move up.

If they stand pat, they have a good chance to replace Orlando Brown and add a WR like Bateman.

KC gets their LT and an extra 2nd round pick this year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

The Chiefs got Brown for a lot less than the rumored Jags deals. I have reservations about how good Brown will be outside of the Ravens extremely friendly OT system, but at that price he's worth the gamble.

Personally I’m glad we didn’t do this. You’re giving up draft capital plus having to work out a huge deal for him. There just isn’t enough sample size of games played at LT to justify it. Yes he could be good, but he also could entirely be a product of that system.

I’m sure if we were interested they would have asked Joe Cullen his opinion, as his line would have gone against him in practice

(04-23-2021, 04:30 PM)Upper Wrote: The Chiefs got Brown for a lot less than the rumored Jags deals. I have reservations about how good Brown will be outside of the Ravens extremely friendly OT system, but at that price he's worth the gamble.
And Brown is going to arguably the best coaching staff in the league.

I would of traded pick 25 and maybe a 4th rounder for Brown. He is a solid starter. He was LT money.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(04-23-2021, 05:02 PM)Ordar Wrote: Personally I’m glad we didn’t do this. You’re giving up draft capital plus having to work out a huge deal for him. There just isn’t enough sample size of games played at LT to justify it. Yes he could be good, but he also could entirely be a product of that system.

I’m sure if we were interested they would have asked Joe Cullen his opinion, as his line would have gone against him in practice

(emphasis added)

That's the thing.

The Chiefs didn't sign him to a new deal.  They will let him play out his current deal.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-his-deal/

So depending on what kind of year he has, he could still hit the market next year anyway.

So is what they gave up a good deal for potential a 1 year rental if he’s either bad or you can’t agree a long term deal. I think the risk is high. Maybe worth it for a perennial contender like the chiefs. Not sure how they’re going to afford him long term with all the cap room already taken up by the offence, which is escalating in the next few years

Not sure if it makes it more or less likely we trade down from 5 with Baltimore.

On the one hand, they will have more draft capital with extra 1st, 3rd and 4th round picks this year.

On the other, because they have all of that draft capital:

1. They could decide to package the picks to move up further than 25 or

2. They could stay where they are, assuming the board fell in a way they like.

I am glad someone else traded for him. I just wasn't sold on the guy as a LT in another system and we have an incompetent O-Line coach anyway. We'd would've had to give up multiple picks and paid him a ton of money. If Cam Robinson is the LT for 2021, so be it, but we at least have to replace Jawaan Taylor. He is the worst starting OT in the NFL.

(04-23-2021, 09:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I am glad someone else traded for him. I just wasn't sold on the guy as a LT in another system and we have an incompetent O-Line coach anyway. We'd would've had to give up multiple picks and paid him a ton of money. If Cam Robinson is the LT for 2021, so be it, but we at least have to replace Jawaan Taylor. He is the worst starting OT in the NFL.

I am somewhat surprised to read this from you.

No, your dislike of Taylor is not new.  Neither is your dislike for Warhop.

But your statement of Cam Robinson seems complete resignation.

(04-23-2021, 10:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 09:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I am glad someone else traded for him. I just wasn't sold on the guy as a LT in another system and we have an incompetent O-Line coach anyway. We'd would've had to give up multiple picks and paid him a ton of money. If Cam Robinson is the LT for 2021, so be it, but we at least have to replace Jawaan Taylor. He is the worst starting OT in the NFL.

I am somewhat surprised to read this from you.

Basically it comes down to several factors. I still hate Cam Robinson. I hate Jawaan Taylor even worse though. I would love to get rid of both, but that just isn't happening. I also don't think where we are picking, we will have a good chance to find what I consider a good option at LT. We're not in a position to get get Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw and even if someone like Liam Eichenberg fell to us, I don't think this front office is smart enough to select him. Instead, I think we're gonna select someone in the 3rd or 4th round area that I'm not gonna like at all and who will not work out at LT, so IMO, our best chance to improve the OT position is to replace Taylor. He is our weakest link and RT's are much more easy to find than LT's. I truly believe we may even draft a OG type like Alex Leatherwood or Jackson Carman and try them at LT, where the will fail miserably. One way or another, at least one new starting OT must be drafted and given what I have been hearing and how I see the board falling, I just think RT is the best we're gonna do and that is being optimistic. I just think Warhop has Meyer completely snowed into thinking we have good OT's despite all the information saying otherwise. Therefore, I believe OT will not be much of a priority and we'll end up with some scrub. I honestly think if Meyer had fired Warhop like many of us had prayed for, a competent O-Line coach would've shown him how much of a true need OT is.

(04-23-2021, 11:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 10:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I am somewhat surprised to read this from you.

Basically it comes down to several factors. I still hate Cam Robinson. I hate Jawaan Taylor even worse though. I would love to get rid of both, but that just isn't happening. I also don't think where we are picking, we will have a good chance to find what I consider a good option at LT. We're not in a position to get get Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw and even if someone like Liam Eichenberg fell to us, I don't think this front office is smart enough to select him. Instead, I think we're gonna select someone in the 3rd or 4th round area that I'm not gonna like at all and who will not work out at LT, so IMO, our best chance to improve the OT position is to replace Taylor. He is our weakest link and RT's are much more easy to find than LT's. I truly believe we may even draft a OG type like Alex Leatherwood or Jackson Carman and try them at LT, where the will fail miserably. One way or another, at least one new starting OT must be drafted and given what I have been hearing and how I see the board falling, I just think RT is the best we're gonna do and that is being optimistic. I just think Warhop has Meyer completely snowed into thinking we have good OT's despite all the information saying otherwise. Therefore, I believe OT will not be much of a priority and we'll end up with some scrub. I honestly think if Meyer had fired Warhop like many of us had prayed for, a competent O-Line coach would've shown him how much of a true need OT is.

There have been some troubling statements coming from the FO this offseason.  Granted, this may be me the hopeful fan talking here, but I've not given up hope we'll see possible upgrades along the OL.

First, in "The Hunt" video, they at least stated they would like to bring in competition along the OL.  If nothing else, we should have improved depth.  But Baalke's history shows he was willing to bring in OL early while in SF.  Furthermore, if they are true to their word they will let the board dictate who they take, we don't know how their board is situated.  Finally, the offseason is all about smoke.  While franchising Cam Robinson would be a very expensive smoke screen, it's entirely possible they have deliberately overstated their enthusiasm for the OL.

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on them improving the OL.

Pete Prisco had an interesting point in the aftermath of yesterday's trade.

Prisco observed that the Chiefs will have an entirely new offensive line from last year.

My take:
Now assuming this is true, this will be the ultimate test of the whole continuity argument for offensive lines. Though at least two of the OL moves were due to injury, the fact is losing five starting offensive linemen in one offseason has to be close to unprecedented for a Super Bowl team. If the Chiefs end up protecting Mahomes this season and they are once again solid Super Bowl contenders, then there may be something of a shift away from continuity in favor of talent, when needed. If, however, it blows up in their faces and Mahomes gets roughed up, you can bet teams will try to avoid such bloodlettting on te OL as best they can.

This makes more sense for KC with established QB and coaching. Glad we didn't make the trade.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Ozzie Newsome is gone. Ravens will start deteriorating.

(04-25-2021, 12:38 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Ozzie Newsome is gone.  Ravens will start deteriorating.

It'll be interesting to see how soon they start addressing edge rusher.

Usually, good scouting 3-4 teams can find those guys in the mid rounds.  After the Brown trade, the Ravens have a lot of mid round picks.

But the value in the bottom of the first round are in edge rushers and seemingly tackles.

Meanwhile, the Steelers are in the most precarious position they have been in a long long time.  Even with their solid front office, they could fall off for a while.

(04-26-2021, 07:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 12:38 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Ozzie Newsome is gone.  Ravens will start deteriorating.

It'll be interesting to see how soon they start addressing edge rusher.

Usually, good scouting 3-4 teams can find those guys in the mid rounds.  After the Brown trade, the Ravens have a lot of mid round picks.

But the value in the bottom of the first round are in edge rushers and seemingly tackles.

Meanwhile, the Steelers are in the most precarious position they have been in a long long time.  Even with their solid front office, they could fall off for a while.

/pops a bag of popcorn

I'm ready for this show!!

(04-27-2021, 08:33 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 07:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: It'll be interesting to see how soon they start addressing edge rusher.

/pops a bag of popcorn

I'm ready for this show!!

Me too.  It's been a long time coming.

Isn't some of the Steeler success based on being able to reap the benefits of drafting all the tweeners? Now that all these teams are running more hybrids and constant nickle and dime sets the competition for tweeners are hitting their bread and butter.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.