Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tim Tebow- Jags new TE (merged)

800yds, 7 TD season. Should be awesome.
Here we go again

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-10-2021, 09:21 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 06:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again. What's the big deal? It's not like he's automatically gonna be the starter on opening day. We don't even know if he'll make the final roster. This is basically bringing in a street free agent to see if he can make the final roster as a contributor to one of our weakest positions. If he does, great. If he doesn't, who cares? It's not like we wasted a draft pick on the guy. We basically signed him for nothing. This whole thing is a complete non-issue, as far as I'm concerned. Judging from Meyer's past and the way Lawrence never really used the TE position in college, even if Tebow does make the roster, we'll likely never see him on the field. I don't expect TE to make a very big impact as a receiver in this offense. This seems more like a publicity stunt to bump ticket sales and I just don't see any harm in it. I've never seen such a mediocre player be so divisive to a fanbase. I don't get it at all.

There is the argument about optics. The only reason Tebow got this chance was because his name is Tebow and he knows the coach, basically the good old boy network.

There are probably a 1000 NFL players who haven't gotten another shot since Tebow last played in the NFL  and would completely welcome the chance to try out to be a TE whether or not that was their original position.

Now there is nothing to fault Tebow in this. 

The question is that for a rookie HC who has never coached professional athletes who has already gotten public backlash for Strength coach with recent bad publicity (even if overstated) and some panning for his draft after T-Law, this is your next big move?

It tips the scales about the FO as people who is not completely aware of all the moving parts, or someonewith the arrogance to think they just know better than everyone else. Sure it may work, but I've already seen two of my favorite teams partly fall apart because of FO arrogance that essentially made them difficult to get agents, FA and other teams to work with them or hold them in any kind of light.

Didn't I argue this exact point about Luke Farrell last week? Yeah, I think I did. I warned you all. The only difference is that we wasted a draft pick on Farrell and Tebow cost us nothing. 

You're surprised by this? Given what Meyer has said and done so far, this latest move seems like something that should've been expected. 

Again, it's typical. Look how long we held on to a bad Head Coaches and GM with Gus Bradley, Doug Marrone and Dave Caldwell. It all starts at the top with ownership. They let those guys pull this team down way too long and the decision to bring back Tom Coughlin was an unmitigated disaster. That was also signed off on by Khan. Then instead of going after one of the highly respected GM candidates out there, they stay in house and hire Baalke, because he will be a "yes man" for Meyer. Again, a decision by Khan. There is a very clear pattern here and if you've been paying attention, it's typical of things that have been occurring already. 

My issue is why is the Tebow move the one that seems to be setting everyone off, when this is basically the most harmless move that has been made by this team in a while? Again, this is basically just a tryout. It's doubtful Tebow even makes the final roster and he may not make it past the first round of cuts. We didn't waste a draft pick on him so, who cares? The best players will be the ones on the final roster. Tebow will have to prove it, if he wants to make the team. I don't care one way or another. I just want the best talent on the field.

Ravens' Safety thoughts lol and he's speaking facts. You know there's plenty of other players around the league, as well as on our own team that hold the same thoughts.

https://twitter.com/OfficialShon_4/statu...9162108931

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 11:19 PM by Dewboy01.)

(05-10-2021, 05:57 PM)burt1jason Wrote: I remember when everyone joked (including me) when he tried baseball. He not only made it up to AAA but actually got a shot at the Mets training camp. That is incredibly hard to do.  I wouldn’t be quick to count him out. He has kept himself in great shape. 34 is still young for some people, especially if they take care of their bodies with good training and nutrition. I ran my fastest mile at 34 years old (sub 5:00).  I am giving him a 50-50 shot to make the 53. If it’s real close between him and someone else.....I think Meyer would choose him because of what his presence in the locker room would be.

Lol yeah he made it to triple A (based on his name alone) where he hit a whopping .163. his overall avg in the minors was .220 and he struck out once every 3 at bats.... For those that aren't baseball fans, those numbers are incredibly bad. Oh - and the invitation to training camp was because of his name and for ticket sales - anyone who knows baseball and saw him play knows how outmatched he was.

As for his presence in the locker room, no one is going to look to a 3rd or 4th string TE for leadership when he hasn't played in a game for 9 years, and has never played TE, never blocked a blitzing lb, never ran a route and never caught a pass....

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 11:22 PM by p_rushing.)

(05-10-2021, 10:46 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 07:03 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yikes...

https://twitter.com/picksixpod/status/13...2624652294

OMG --- we just fired 4 scouts.  Perhaps they showed Urban this clip and were immediately fired on the spot.
Come on, no TE catches that and almost all WRs don't get their hands on that without falling down. The ball was behind him on a sideline route. He had no chance unless the ball is thrown outside to the sideline.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

(05-10-2021, 11:15 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Ravens' Safety thoughts lol and he's speaking facts. You know there's plenty of other players around the league, as well as on our own team that hold the same thoughts.

https://twitter.com/OfficialShon_4/statu...9162108931
It's true but the world works like that. If you know someone, you get a leg up.

I don't see NFL stars saying I didn't play up to my contract so another player should get my money.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Let's not get carried away one way or the other.  If he's good enough to help the team and is retained, great.  If not, he won't be on the team, which is also fine.

(05-10-2021, 11:23 PM)RWBinJax Wrote: Let's not get carried away one way or the other.  If he's good enough to help the team and is retained, great.  If not, he won't be on the team, which is also fine.

Or the worst case scenario happens and Urban decides to give his boy a free ride on the team.

There's zero chance he'd ever make this roster legitimately. At 34 he'd be one of the oldest, if not the oldest TE in the league, all while trying to learn a new position for the first time.

It's just a massive head scratcher all the way around.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021, 12:03 AM by rpr52121.)

(05-10-2021, 11:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 09:21 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: There is the argument about optics. The only reason Tebow got this chance was because his name is Tebow and he knows the coach, basically the good old boy network.

There are probably a 1000 NFL players who haven't gotten another shot since Tebow last played in the NFL  and would completely welcome the chance to try out to be a TE whether or not that was their original position.

Now there is nothing to fault Tebow in this. 

The question is that for a rookie HC who has never coached professional athletes who has already gotten public backlash for Strength coach with recent bad publicity (even if overstated) and some panning for his draft after T-Law, this is your next big move?

It tips the scales about the FO as people who is not completely aware of all the moving parts, or someonewith the arrogance to think they just know better than everyone else. Sure it may work, but I've already seen two of my favorite teams partly fall apart because of FO arrogance that essentially made them difficult to get agents, FA and other teams to work with them or hold them in any kind of light.

Didn't I argue this exact point about Luke Farrell last week? Yeah, I think I did. I warned you all. The only difference is that we wasted a draft pick on Farrell and Tebow cost us nothing. 

You're surprised by this? Given what Meyer has said and done so far, this latest move seems like something that should've been expected. 

Again, it's typical. Look how long we held on to a bad Head Coaches and GM with Gus Bradley, Doug Marrone and Dave Caldwell. It all starts at the top with ownership. They let those guys pull this team down way too long and the decision to bring back Tom Coughlin was an unmitigated disaster. That was also signed off on by Khan. Then instead of going after one of the highly respected GM candidates out there, they stay in house and hire Baalke, because he will be a "yes man" for Meyer. Again, a decision by Khan. There is a very clear pattern here and if you've been paying attention, it's typical of things that have been occurring already. 

My issue is why is the Tebow move the one that seems to be setting everyone off, when this is basically the most harmless move that has been made by this team in a while? Again, this is basically just a tryout. It's doubtful Tebow even makes the final roster and he may not make it past the first round of cuts. We didn't waste a draft pick on him so, who cares? The best players will be the ones on the final roster. Tebow will have to prove it, if he wants to make the team. I don't care one way or another. I just want the best talent on the field.

I think comparing this to drafting Farrell is a stretch. They are both in the same ball park, but one is probably flyout to left with a slim chance of making the gap for a double, and one is strike out on an 53 mph Eephus pitch that Zach Grienke told you he was going to throw to you.

I think many of us have agreed on Khan's troublesome hiring and firing pattern as well as bemoaned the Baalke selection. 

The Tebow thing setting everyone off is because, the absolutely most obvious blunder down this slippery slope. You can say how it doesn't cost anything regarding money or draft capital, but it is so out there that it just puts even the once-in-awhile Jaguar fans on edge with omens that T-Law is going to bust with this franchise.

Now it has just gotten ridiculous.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/progressi...oUD1ahe_Yw
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021, 01:03 AM by NewJagsCity.)

(05-10-2021, 04:15 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Imagine trading away a 24 year old TE who had potential (Josh Oliver) for peanuts, only so you could sign a 34 year old has been who has never played the position before and hasn't played football in nearly 10 years.

God we better hope Trevor is the real deal.

(05-10-2021, 04:43 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 04:23 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: If Tebow can stay on the field and even mildly contribute to the position, he will be infinitely more valuable than Josh Oliver. That guy was a walking MASH unit.

Hes literally been in the NFL for 2 seasons... We have no clue if it was just bad luck or if he'll be injury prone.

Also the injury he suffered in week 11 that put him on IR was all because of trash [BLEEP] Foles. He threw a terrible ball that Oliver had to go to the ground to catch, which left him wide open to take a shot and some dude blasted him right in his back/spine.

Meanwhile what's the best bet for Tebow? 3rd or 4th string TE? That guy will never see the field. And there's no point in even bringing up leadership blah blah. Players don't follow bad players. Good players are leaders in the locker room and he isn't any good.

Oliver's most recent injury was a non contact broken foot in training camp. That has injury prone written all over it.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-11-2021, 12:43 AM)Dimson Wrote: Now it has just gotten ridiculous.

Shouldn't be surprised, anybody with half a brain could see this being a stupid decision and distraction going forward with bringing in Tebow. Now we get to listen to people talk in circles about this dumb Tebow crap for months, when in reality we should be talking about Lawrence and our rookie class/team.

It's just typical Jags though. One step forward, 14 steps backwards.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021, 01:16 AM by Eric1.)

(05-11-2021, 01:03 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 04:15 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Imagine trading away a 24 year old TE who had potential (Josh Oliver) for peanuts, only so you could sign a 34 year old has been who has never played the position before and hasn't played football in nearly 10 years.

God we better hope Trevor is the real deal.

(05-10-2021, 04:43 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Hes literally been in the NFL for 2 seasons... We have no clue if it was just bad luck or if he'll be injury prone.

Also the injury he suffered in week 11 that put him on IR was all because of trash [BLEEP] Foles. He threw a terrible ball that Oliver had to go to the ground to catch, which left him wide open to take a shot and some dude blasted him right in his back/spine.

Meanwhile what's the best bet for Tebow? 3rd or 4th string TE? That guy will never see the field. And there's no point in even bringing up leadership blah blah. Players don't follow bad players. Good players are leaders in the locker room and he isn't any good.

Oliver's most recent injury was a non contact broken foot in training camp. That has injury prone written all over it.

Yea him and countless amounts of other NFL players that suffer non contact injuries during training every single year. That doesn't mean much of anything.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021, 01:24 AM by rpr52121.)

Sigh. Tebow is signing for a chance to just be on the roster for only $4 million.

Those are terms Kaepernick would never agree to. There were multiple reports that teams reached out to Kaepernick over the past few years but were told no because the money was not enough or he wasn't going to be an equal chance to be a starter. And that is beside his try out, reschedule double take.

(05-11-2021, 01:22 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:

Sigh. Tebow is signing for a chance to just be on the roster for only $4 million.

Those are terms Kaepernick would never agree to. There were multiple reports that teams reached out to Kaepernick over the past few years but were told no because the money was not enough or he wasn't going to be an equal chance to be a starter. And that is beside his try out, reschedule double take.
If Kaepernick really wanted to play QB in the league, he would be on a team. He doesn't want to really play unless it is under his terms. He makes more money not playing, than he ever would actually playing.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-11-2021, 12:02 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 11:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Didn't I argue this exact point about Luke Farrell last week? Yeah, I think I did. I warned you all. The only difference is that we wasted a draft pick on Farrell and Tebow cost us nothing. 

I think comparing this to drafting Farrell is a stretch. They are both in the same ball park, but one is probably flyout to left with a slim chance of making the gap for a double, and one is strike out on an 53 mph Eephus pitch that Zach Grienke told you he was going to throw to you.

I think many of us have agreed on Khan's troublesome hiring and firing pattern as well as bemoaned the Baalke selection. 

The Tebow thing setting everyone off is because, the absolutely most obvious blunder down this slippery slope. You can say how it doesn't cost anything regarding money or draft capital, but it is so out there that it just puts even the once-in-awhile Jaguar fans on edge with omens that T-Law is going to bust with this franchise.

As someone who has watched Farrell play every game at OSU, I don't. I think Tebow has just as much chance of making the team as Farrell does. The difference is that Tebow didn't cost anything. I honestly don't get all the fuss? As it stands now, there is a 99.9% chance O'Shaughnessey is gonna be our #1 TE. I'm fine with that. Before his injury, I was impressed with him. Manhertz was brought in specifically for his blocking ability, so he will have an important role as well. We may very well bring in another TE, once teams start to trim down their rosters. Remember, we are #1 in waiver wire priority and we still have a ton of cap money if a good TE is released. I believe this is very likely to happen. So, even if Tebow makes the team (which is still highly unlikely), he's probably no higher than 3rd string. Is a 3rd string TE that we signed off the street, worth getting upset about? If we signed some 34 year old street free agent that no one ever heard of, this signing would be a non-issue, but since it's Tebow, the sky is falling. 

I really don't think this is the most obvious blunder. To me, an obvious blunder is something that will either set the franchise back or cost us a lot. This does neither. I'm not worried at all. If Lawrence busts, it will in no way, shape or form be because Tim Tebow got signed to try out for the team. How could a potential bench player have a bearing on the fate of a potential franchise QB? That is a stretch.

(05-11-2021, 01:14 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 01:03 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Oliver's most recent injury was a non contact broken foot in training camp. That has injury prone written all over it.

Yea him and countless amounts of other NFL players that suffer non contact injuries during training every single year. That doesn't mean much of anything.

I'd be very wary of a guy who hasn't really even seen the field with real NFL contact with a foot fracture needing surgery. Plus at TE he still has to put is hand in the dirt and block which really strains the feet for leverage. Impossible to know it it was a stress fracture/marching injury or some other fracture due his gait/build biomechanics.

If had shown anything before his injuries, I could understand holding on to him. I know a 7th rounder is not much, but he flamed out in camp, he would have been cut for nothing.

(05-11-2021, 01:51 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 01:22 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Sigh. Tebow is signing for a chance to just be on the roster for only $4 million.

If Kaepernick really wanted to play QB in the league, he would be on a team. He doesn't want to really play unless it is under his terms. He makes more money not playing, than he ever would actually playing.

Exactly. He would rather sit back and collect a pay check being some kind of martyr. Teams have offered him deals, but he gives them a price tag so ridiculous that no team in their right mind would sign him and he knows it.

Caldwell: "Not even if he is released"
Tim Tebow: Signs with jags as soon as Dave Caldwell is fired.

LOL.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021, 02:16 AM by rpr52121.)

(05-11-2021, 02:06 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 12:02 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: I think comparing this to drafting Farrell is a stretch. They are both in the same ball park, but one is probably flyout to left with a slim chance of making the gap for a double, and one is strike out on an 53 mph Eephus pitch that Zach Grienke told you he was going to throw to you.

As someone who has watched Farrell play every game at OSU, I don't. I think Tebow has just as much chance of making the team as Farrell does. The difference is that Tebow didn't cost anything. I honestly don't get all the fuss? As it stands now, there is a 99.9% chance O'Shaughnessey is gonna be our #1 TE. I'm fine with that. Before his injury, I was impressed with him. Manhertz was brought in specifically for his blocking ability, so he will have an important role as well. We may very well bring in another TE, once teams start to trim down their rosters. Remember, we are #1 in waiver wire priority and we still have a ton of cap money if a good TE is released. I believe this is very likely to happen. So, even if Tebow makes the team (which is still highly unlikely), he's probably no higher than 3rd string. Is a 3rd string TE that we signed off the street, worth getting upset about? If we signed some 34 year old street free agent that no one ever heard of, this signing would be a non-issue, but since it's Tebow, the sky is falling. 

I really don't think this is the most obvious blunder. To me, an obvious blunder is something that will either set the franchise back or cost us a lot. This does neither. I'm not worried at all. If Lawrence busts, it will in no way, shape or form be because Tim Tebow got signed to try out for the team. How could a potential bench player have a bearing on the fate of a potential franchise QB? That is a stretch.

I completely agree that from a pure X's and O's standpoint this is not a blunder at all. I'll take your word on Farrell, as I haven't seen him play outside of highlights.

From every other angle of running a team with lot of press/publicity and managing a locker room with a lot of personalities. this is a blunder. But as we have both pointed out this is par for the course for UM and Khan.

This makes it even better!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!