Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tim Tebow- Jags new TE (merged)

(05-28-2021, 12:33 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: My ultimate question about Tebow is his route running.. That's my only hangup with him. Can he effectively run a TE route?

I think it's going to be below average at best -- rounded, lack of explosive release into a cut, etc.

He'd be on the field to be an H Back -- for the formations he would be useful in, he needs to only be a threat to catch a wide-open release route. When Tebow's in the backfield, the defense will put a spy right on him. So the question is will there be play-action that makes it seem like a straight-ahead run, and instead they screen it out to the flat.

It will be a "keep 'em honest" type of route. The other times he's running routes (because the play is not designed to get the ball to him), he'll run a mushy one and the ball will only come his way on a blown coverage.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-28-2021, 10:35 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 10:31 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No.. he got a chance because he lives in the same Country Club as Urban Meyer and they are buddies.
Urban wasn't even there when he first tried out, it was just the scouts and he WOW'd them

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to scroll back 47 pages, but wasn't the story originally that he was there when the workout started, but he didn't stay for the whole thing?

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2021, 12:58 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-28-2021, 12:51 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 10:23 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's how much he hates to lose.  You will be the one crying if he makes that team.  If he wasn't talented buddies with the coach he wouldn't be getting a chance out of the 90.  He impressed the scouts enough to get a chance so let's see if he is good enough to make the 53, it remains to be seen

FTFY

Are you seriously alleging that our scouts were the only ones in the league that were tracking him and/or saw the value in bringing him in?

Had we hired Nick Saban instead of Urbz, do you honestly think that the scouts would have made a convincing argument to even give him a workout?

This is "In Gene We Trust" blind loyalty all over again.

Why do folks have to cry if he makes the team? Can they just be apathetic? When was the last time anyone fretted over a backup TE making the team?
No, I think Meyer is why he got the tryout but he was deserving is why he made the 90.  Meyer doesn't give a [BLEEP] about the talking heads is why he is gave him a tryout.

(05-28-2021, 12:53 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 10:35 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Urban wasn't even there when he first tried out, it was just the scouts and he WOW'd them

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to scroll back 47 pages, but wasn't the story originally that he was there when the workout started, but he didn't stay for the whole thing?

He wasn't at the first workout with the team

The staff worked him out first

"I wasn't even there. And they came back to me and said, 'Wow, this guy's in incredible shape.'"

Meyer says his staff actually worked out Tebow multiple times in recent weeks ... and afterward, each time, they could not stop complimenting the ex-quarterback.

"They come in and they said, 'Wow. You know, this guy's ball skills,'" Meyer said. "'He's a great athlete. He looks like he's 18 years old, not whatever he is, 33.'"

If he can competently back up TE (a tall order), it's pretty valuable to have him as punt protector. I watched closely that Jets season. Two things were true:

1. Most teams left their starters in for punt returns in short yardage situations. So they had to prep during the week for punts.
2. Tebow batted 1000 on fake punts (direct snaps). I can't remember the number, but I think he was 8-for-8 that season on picking up the first down in fourth down situations.

You would have heard it from the rafters if he wasn't getting those first downs.

The question is, how high a price do you have to pay (roster wise) to get out of him the things he is great at. He's always had the moves of a bodybuilder when running routes, etc. (not a compliment).

(05-28-2021, 12:41 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 12:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol if you think Gabbert could of brought that 1-4  Denver team to a playoff spot and win in the playoffs
You realize that during those wins, the Denver defense held the other team to 15 or less in 5 of the 7 wins? Or that Tebow only passed for more than 200 yards once? Tebow had 69 passing yards in a win against the Chiefs.... and 104 in a win against the Jets.

You are so delusional when it comes to Tebow that having a genuine conversation about him is impossible.

I saw every game in that streak and to say that Tebow was 'responsible' for them making the playoffs is a HUUUUUUUUGE stretch.  There were so many weird plays in that whole string, it was crazy.  Onside kicks recovered, fumbles, interceptions...it was nuts.  but I'm sure Timmy had something to do with all of those.  Fun fact - he also had 14 fumbles in 11 games.

He loves to focus on the 15 yard pass that Thomas turned into a touchdown against the Steelers.  His 'performance' against the Patriots the following week was almost comically bad.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2021, 01:02 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-28-2021, 12:57 PM)Race Bannon Wrote: If he can competently back up TE (a tall order), it's pretty valuable to have him as punt protector.  I watched closely that Jets season.  Two things were true:

1.  Most teams left their starters in for punt returns in short yardage situations.  So they had to prep during the week for punts.
2.  Tebow batted 1000 on fake punts (direct snaps).  I can't remember the number, but I think he was 8-for-8 that season on picking up the first down in fourth down situations.

You would have heard it from the rafters if he wasn't getting those first downs.

The question is, how high a price do you have to pay (roster wise) to get out of him the things he is great at.  He's always had the moves of a bodybuilder when running routes, etc. (not a compliment).
That's another thing, is Meyer is a ST guy and Tebow completed a few nice fake punts with the Jets

(05-28-2021, 12:58 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 12:41 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: You realize that during those wins, the Denver defense held the other team to 15 or less in 5 of the 7 wins? Or that Tebow only passed for more than 200 yards once? Tebow had 69 passing yards in a win against the Chiefs.... and 104 in a win against the Jets.

You are so delusional when it comes to Tebow that having a genuine conversation about him is impossible.

I saw every game in that streak and to say that Tebow was 'responsible' for them making the playoffs is a HUUUUUUUUGE stretch.  There were so many weird plays in that whole string, it was crazy.  Onside kicks recovered, fumbles, interceptions...it was nuts.  but I'm sure Timmy had something to do with all of those.  Fun fact - he also had 14 fumbles in 11 games.

He loves to focus on the 15 yard pass that Thomas turned into a touchdown against the Steelers.  His 'performance' against the Patriots the following week was almost comically bad.
He was very bad in the Pats game, im not saying in anyway Tebow was a great QB, but he would of been miles better for us than Gabbert.  We already had the leading rusher in the NFL and our run game would of been that much better

(05-28-2021, 12:52 PM)Race Bannon Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 12:33 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: My ultimate question about Tebow is his route running.. That's my only hangup with him. Can he effectively run a TE route?

I think it's going to be below average at best -- rounded, lack of explosive release into a cut, etc.  

He'd be on the field to be an H Back -- for the formations he would be useful in, he needs to only be a threat to catch a wide-open release route.  When Tebow's in the backfield, the defense will put a spy right on him.  So the question is will there be play-action that makes it seem like a straight-ahead run, and instead they screen it out to the flat.  

It will be a "keep 'em honest" type of route.  The other times he's running routes (because the play is not designed to get the ball to him), he'll run a mushy one and the ball will only come his way on a blown coverage.

This is my thinking as well.. Tebow is a specimen, even at 33 years old, but what good is that going to do if he can't run a crisp and clean route? I mean, we all know he's not going to see CB 1 or 2 coverage, but the average DB would be able to cover him like a tarp if his routes aren't clean. If not, his only keys to success will have to be relyed on by mismatches, which in this case, there could be mismatches all over the field with these other players that we have with ETN, JRob and LS.. Could be mismatch hell..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-28-2021, 01:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 12:57 PM)Race Bannon Wrote: If he can competently back up TE (a tall order), it's pretty valuable to have him as punt protector.  I watched closely that Jets season.  Two things were true:

1.  Most teams left their starters in for punt returns in short yardage situations.  So they had to prep during the week for punts.
2.  Tebow batted 1000 on fake punts (direct snaps).  I can't remember the number, but I think he was 8-for-8 that season on picking up the first down in fourth down situations.

The question is, how high a price do you have to pay (roster wise) to get out of him the things he is great at.  He's always had the moves of a bodybuilder when running routes, etc. (not a compliment).
That's another thing, is Meyer is a ST guy and Tebow completed a few nice fake punts with the Jets

(05-28-2021, 12:58 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I saw every game in that streak and to say that Tebow was 'responsible' for them making the playoffs is a HUUUUUUUUGE stretch.  There were so many weird plays in that whole string, it was crazy.  Onside kicks recovered, fumbles, interceptions...it was nuts.  but I'm sure Timmy had something to do with all of those.  Fun fact - he also had 14 fumbles in 11 games.

He was very bad in the Pats game, im not saying in anyway Tebow was a great QB, but he would of been miles better for us than Gabbert.  We already had the leading rusher in the NFL and our run game would of been that much better

Didn't you just say he played well when it mattered the most?

(05-28-2021, 01:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 01:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's another thing, is Meyer is a ST guy and Tebow completed a few nice fake punts with the Jets

Didn't you just say he played well when it mattered the most?
Yes, you said you watched every game.  You.dont think so?  I want to say his QB rating that year in the 4th quarter was even at the top of the league

(05-28-2021, 01:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 01:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Didn't you just say he played well when it mattered the most?
Yes, you said you watched every game.  You.dont think so?  I want to say his QB rating that year in the 4th quarter was even at the top of the league

So the playoff game against the Patriots didn't matter then.  Gotcha.

(05-28-2021, 01:07 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 01:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes, you said you watched every game.  You.dont think so?  I want to say his QB rating that year in the 4th quarter was even at the top of the league

So the playoff game against the Patriots didn't matter then.  Gotcha.

That was his first year starting.  If they would of kept Tebow and let him learn behind Manning he would likely still be Denvers QB today.

(05-28-2021, 01:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 01:07 PM)RicoTx Wrote: So the playoff game against the Patriots didn't matter then.  Gotcha.

That was his first year starting.  If they would of kept Tebow and let him learn behind Manning he would likely still be Denvers QB today.

Laughing

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2021, 01:12 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-28-2021, 01:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 12:52 PM)Race Bannon Wrote: I think it's going to be below average at best -- rounded, lack of explosive release into a cut, etc.  

He'd be on the field to be an H Back -- for the formations he would be useful in, he needs to only be a threat to catch a wide-open release route.  When Tebow's in the backfield, the defense will put a spy right on him.  So the question is will there be play-action that makes it seem like a straight-ahead run, and instead they screen it out to the flat.  

It will be a "keep 'em honest" type of route.  The other times he's running routes (because the play is not designed to get the ball to him), he'll run a mushy one and the ball will only come his way on a blown coverage.

This is my thinking as well.. Tebow is a specimen, even at 33 years old, but what good is that going to do if he can't run a crisp and clean route? I mean, we all know he's not going to see CB 1 or 2 coverage, but the average DB would be able to cover him like a tarp if his routes aren't clean. If not, his only keys to success will have to be relyed on by mismatches, which in this case, there could be mismatches all over the field with these other players that we have with ETN, JRob and LS.. Could be mismatch hell..

If Tebow makes the team and scores a TD from Lawrence, how loud do you think the stadium will get?

(05-28-2021, 01:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 01:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That was his first year starting.  If they would of kept Tebow and let him learn behind Manning he would likely still be Denvers QB today.

Laughing

If he scores a TD for us you gonna boo him?

(05-28-2021, 01:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 01:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: This is my thinking as well.. Tebow is a specimen, even at 33 years old, but what good is that going to do if he can't run a crisp and clean route? I mean, we all know he's not going to see CB 1 or 2 coverage, but the average DB would be able to cover him like a tarp if his routes aren't clean. If not, his only keys to success will have to be relyed on by mismatches, which in this case, there could be mismatches all over the field with these other players that we have with ETN, JRob and LS.. Could be mismatch hell..

If Tebow makes the team and scores a TD from Lawrence, how loud do you think the stadium will get?

(05-28-2021, 01:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Laughing

I've already explained that to you.  Is your memory that short?

I wouldn't be surprised if some fans do because of fanatics like you though, because I know damn well just what it's going to be like in that stadium when people are coming just to see Timmy.  I still remember what it was like for the opener in 2010.

I never boo somebody on my team unless they do something awful enough to do it.  Let's use Henne getting replaced by Bortles mid-game.  Yes, Henne deserved to be booed.

de·lu·sion

/dəˈlo͞oZHən/

noun
an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.

Some homers just can't accept the reality of Tebow's NFL career thus far.  And trying to convince them of reality is like trying to rationalize with someone who has doused themself in gasoline and is about to strike a match. 

I'll cheer for the guy if he turns out to be good for the team, but I'm gonna just go ahead in stay rooted in reality about his past NFL performance and projected ability to perform in the league at 33/34 yrs old. 

Looking competent in a couple of OTA sessions is nice.  Good start for him, but, let's pump the brakes a minute.

(05-28-2021, 01:21 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 01:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Tebow makes the team and scores a TD from Lawrence, how loud do you think the stadium will get?

I've already explained that to you.  Is your memory that short?

I wouldn't be surprised if some fans do because of fanatics like you though, because I know damn well just what it's going to be like in that stadium when people are coming just to see Timmy.  I still remember what it was like for the opener in 2010.

I never boo somebody on my team unless they do something awful enough to do it.  Let's use Henne getting replaced by Bortles mid-game.  Yes, Henne deserved to be booed.

Wasn't that when Tyson Alualu stopped the Mighty Timmy Tebow short on a 4th down attempt?

(05-28-2021, 01:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 01:21 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I've already explained that to you.  Is your memory that short?

Wasn't that when Tyson Alualu stopped the Mighty Timmy Tebow short on a 4th down attempt?

I was more referring to the Tebow-ites swooning every time he entered the game and whining when he wasn't in the game.  I envision something very similar this year when he's gifted a roster position.

But yes, that game.

(05-28-2021, 01:31 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 01:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Wasn't that when Tyson Alualu stopped the Mighty Timmy Tebow short on a 4th down attempt?

I was more referring to the Tebow-ites swooning every time he entered the game and whining when he wasn't in the game.  I envision something very similar this year when he's gifted a roster position.

But yes, that game.

I just like bringing that up.. the Tebow worshippers hate that Tyson got the better of the Mighty One.

(05-28-2021, 12:58 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 12:41 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: You realize that during those wins, the Denver defense held the other team to 15 or less in 5 of the 7 wins? Or that Tebow only passed for more than 200 yards once? Tebow had 69 passing yards in a win against the Chiefs.... and 104 in a win against the Jets.

Tebow had bad ribs in the Patriots game.
That doomed any hope of running the ball.

(05-28-2021, 12:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A question for the Tebow haters.  If he makes the team will he have any designed plays and will he take a snap week 1?

Why does someone who questions the merit of bringing him in or someone who values recency have to be labeled a hater?

I don't hate the dude, so I don't feel the question was directed my way.