Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jets are now a concern

Naturally, because we were vying with them for the right to draft Trevor Lawrence, had to listen to the national media whine that TL won't be playing in New York, and then hear all kinds of arguments why Wilson is better, the inclination for me is to compare our rebuild to the Jets.

While going into the draft, I was confident TL would be in better footing with the Jaguars than Wilson in terms of surrounding talent, now I'm not so sure.

One of the reasons the Jets failed with Sam Darnold, and part of the basis of my belief that Wilson was in a worse situation, is thatthe Jets' OL was horrific.

However, yesterday saw the Jets make a bold move to trade up and acquire USC G Alijah Vera Tucker, without giving up their second round pick, which follows our 33.

Should the Jaguars bypass Jenkins at 33, the Jets would be in a position to draft him.  That would give them a line of Beckton, AVT, Feeney, ??? and Jenkins.

Even if their RG is a complete liability, they would appear to have substantially improved their OL with two picks.  Added to their new QB and the addition of Davis, suddenly the Jets become more formidable on offense.

Considering they will be on our 2021 schedule, it raises the sense of concern for me.

I want whatever is in the best interests of the Jaguars.  But I also want to beat those green and white [BLEEP], their condescending sympathizers in the media, and their obnoxious fans.

We can't let them out draft us or out protect our rookie passer.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They are definitely doing things the right way, this time around. Get your QB and give him some protection. If they get another O-Lineman and a competent RB, they will be well on their way.

(04-30-2021, 04:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: They are definitely doing things the right way, this time around. Get your QB and give him some protection. If they get another O-Lineman and a competent RB, they will be well on their way.

I'll say this...if we come out of this draft with any less than Mayfield or Brown in the 3rd round for OL, I will be disappointed.

I'm not worried one bit with them.

Wilson isn't billed as what some people think he is.

(04-30-2021, 06:41 PM)enigma Wrote: I'm not worried one bit with them.

Wilson may not be as good as advertised. 

But if they find a RT, and until we get a sufficient defense, they will be a threat this year.

So a college head coach isn’t the best NFL team builder? Shocking

(04-30-2021, 08:47 PM)rufftime Wrote: So a college head coach isn’t the best NFL team builder?  Shocking

I wasn't necessarily using this as an indictment of UM.

It focuses primarily on my concern for the OL and comparing/contrasting how both teams have handled it to the point of the post.

As it turns out, the Jets never did get that extra T.  They took Moore, the slot WR.  A good pickup for them.

Have you seen their division? They’re still going to be the worst team

(05-01-2021, 07:31 AM)Ordar Wrote: Have you seen their division? They’re still going to be the worst team

Oh absolutely.  No argument there.

That isn't my immediate concern.

Going into the draft, I was looking at them as a possible win for us.

Now, I think that's less likely, though I am relieved they did not get a RT.  Now AVT could play RT for them, but if I were them, I'd keep him inside next to Becton.

Zach has a distraction. His mom is nice looking, but a little craycray. 

Jets' Zach Wilson offered to pay mom to delete Instagram: 'I don’t need your money' | Fox News

(04-30-2021, 06:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

But if they find a RT, and until we get a sufficient defense, they will be a threat this year.

They found their RT.

(04-30-2021, 06:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Wilson is going to be better than advertised.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 09:35 PM by Bullseye.)

It seems Jets rookie first round pick Zack Wilson is officially a holdout. His agent represents the younger Bosa brother and Roquan Smith of the Bears...both of whom managed to be lengthy rookie holdouts.

While it is still quite early, I know Jets fans are not thrilled with this. I guess all those endorsement deals weren't enough.

Yet another reason I am glad we drafted Trevor Lawrence.

To be fair, Trevor probably would be holding out if we didn't cave on the offsets.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 01:52 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-27-2021, 11:01 PM)Upper Wrote: To be fair, Trevor probably would be holding out if we didn't cave on the offsets.

Fine by me.  

The value of getting him in on time far outweighed whatever value you save by sticking steadfast to offset language.

Whether it's the on field benefit of having h in on time learning the offense and gaining reps and coaching, or the intangible benefit of signaling to the fan base of a perpetually losing team we won't botch this once in a generation QB prospect on language, it was worth more to get him in on time.

As hopeful as this fan base has been since the Jets beat the Rams, what would be the feeling if TL were not here because of offset language?  If the holdout lingered through the camp and preseason, it would have him behind and whatever benefit gained by getting him the playbook in February would be lost.  It would piss in the corn flakes of Jaguars fans everywhere.

Some stands you make, some you don't.  You only worry about that language some four years down the road if TL is a complete bust.  But if he is, you have much bigger problems than having to pay a guy no longer on the team. If the Jets want to potentially sabotage Wilson's development over what may happen four years from now if he is a bust, they are making a stupid gamble at the most important position in football.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 02:37 AM by Bullseye. Edited 2 times in total.)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...w-offsets/

Also, if this is true about the signing bonus, that is another stupid stand by the Jets. Why would a team like the Jets push back paying the signing bonus until next year? Burrow got his signing bonus within 15 days of signing. So did TL. The Jets are in a much larger market than either the Bengals or Jaguars and have more fans than either.

Also, it's entirely possible TLs choice of agent played a factor. Some agents don't know the difference between being a tough negotiator and being an [BLEEP]. Furthermore, agents are supposed to act at the behest of the principal...in this case the player. If the player instructs the agent to ensure I am in camp on time and the agent ignores the instructions to get the player the absolute most favorable deal, he may not be acting within the scope of the player's instructions. Or in many cases, the player will rely on the agent's expertise, which is understandable. But that agent may only be considering the money, as opposed to the player's development.

Whether it's the players in question, the agents they chose, or the stance the teams are taking, I am still glad we got Trevor Lawrence over Wilson.

(07-28-2021, 01:47 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 11:01 PM)Upper Wrote: To be fair, Trevor probably would be holding out if we didn't cave on the offsets.

Fine by me.  

The value of getting him in on time far outweighed whatever value you save by sticking steadfast to offset language.

I agree, I just don't think it's fair to frame it as a Tlaw vs Wilson thing. It's an organization thing. If we took Wilson and the Jets got Tlaw the tables would likely be turned.

Per PFT Wilson and Jets agreed to terms

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2021, 07:42 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(07-14-2021, 01:39 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 06:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Wilson may not be as good as advertised. 

Wilson is going to be better than advertised.

Apparently, his first practice did not go well.  

https://nypost.com/2021/07/30/zach-wilso...-the-jets/

And...

https://sports.yahoo.com/zach-wilson-str...01376.html

"He got 14 reps in full-team drills and completed just 5-of-10 passes. He threw one interception to safety [b]Marcus Maye[/b], nearly threw another, and was nowhere near any receivers on at least two other passes. Even the 7-on-7 drills, which can be easy at times for the offense, were a surprising struggle. He completed just 1-of-7 passes in those, and most of the misses weren’t even close."