Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Day 3 at the draft

(05-02-2021, 10:07 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I was very surprised we did not select at least one OG in this draft. Next season I expect that we're gonna have to draft several offensive linemen, as we have a lot of expiring contracts at the position. Cam Robinson, Andrew Norwell, A.J. Cann, Tyler Shatley and Will Richardson will all be UFA's at the end of 2021. Brandon Linder is entering the final years of his back-ended deal and will likely either be cut, traded or have his deal re-structured at the end of the season, since he has an $8.5 million cap hit this year and a $10 million cap hit in 2022 with no dead money. We have to deal with all of this as well as the fact that Jawaan Taylor was statistically the worst starting OT in the NFL in 2020 allowing more pressures than any other OT, so a decision will have to be made about him as well.

I sincerely hope Little is able to be a good pro, because we're going to need him. I have a feeling our offensive line is going to look very different in 2022 than it does in 2021. That is a lot of expiring contracts all at once and very little depth. It just seems odd that we didn't deal with this problem in free agency or much in the draft.

I was thinking about that as well for most of the offseason.  In fairness, the team had something of a conundrum in balancing the need for depth and transitioning to 2022 and getting immediate impact this year.  That said, I think the team would have done well to pick Trey Smith in the 5th or 6th round.

Assuming Little could be expected to start by 2022, Little plus Smith could cement the left side of the line.  Shatley could have been retained and been at least a stop gap starter at C.  We'd at least have experience on TL's blindside, and all we'd have to do is build the right side.

As I think about it, I think at least one of those guys will be retained.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-02-2021, 10:45 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 10:07 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I was very surprised we did not select at least one OG in this draft. Next season I expect that we're gonna have to draft several offensive linemen, as we have a lot of expiring contracts at the position. Cam Robinson, Andrew Norwell, A.J. Cann, Tyler Shatley and Will Richardson will all be UFA's at the end of 2021. Brandon Linder is entering the final years of his back-ended deal and will likely either be cut, traded or have his deal re-structured at the end of the season, since he has an $8.5 million cap hit this year and a $10 million cap hit in 2022 with no dead money. We have to deal with all of this as well as the fact that Jawaan Taylor was statistically the worst starting OT in the NFL in 2020 allowing more pressures than any other OT, so a decision will have to be made about him as well.

I sincerely hope Little is able to be a good pro, because we're going to need him. I have a feeling our offensive line is going to look very different in 2022 than it does in 2021. That is a lot of expiring contracts all at once and very little depth. It just seems odd that we didn't deal with this problem in free agency or much in the draft.

I was thinking about that as well for most of the offseason.  In fairness, the team had something of a conundrum in balancing the need for depth and transitioning to 2022 and getting immediate impact this year.  That said, I think the team would have done well to pick Trey Smith in the 5th or 6th round.

Assuming Little could be expected to start by 2022, Little plus Smith could cement the left side of the line.  Shatley could have been retained and been at least a stop gap starter at C.  We'd at least have experience on TL's blindside, and all we'd have to do is build the right side.

As I think about it, I think at least one of those guys will be retained.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the best ones, Linder and Norwell are the one's who will be asking for the most money. l believe Shatley will re-sign again next year and I can see Cann coming back as well. I just believe Norwell is probably on the way out. As far as Linder, given his injury history and high salary, it might all come down to his willingness to re-structure his deal. Hopefully, Bartch can step up as well. As far as the Tackles, I would love to see Little supplant Taylor at RT. He is the weakest link. I can live with Robinson for another year, if it means replacing Taylor.  I believe Richardson is probably gone this season. If Little is even decent, Richardson will probably be cut.

(05-01-2021, 11:04 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 10:34 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Of course. but the reason they are coveted is that there are less have been like less than 10 reliable ones in the 20 years or so.

So who did you think was a "only ten in the last 20 years" level TE that was available to us? Pitts fits that category but we never had a chance on him. I don't think there were any epic TE prospects in the draft. 

I wish we'd gone for a TE earlier in the draft, even though this year's available choices weren't that great. We should have given TE a higher priority, but I don't think there were any choices that rose to the level you're describing.

If Josh Allen didn't surprisingly drop to pick # 7 in the 2019 Draft, T.J. Hockenson was probably under serious consideration to be the Jaguars pick.

(05-02-2021, 01:54 PM)D6 Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 11:04 PM)Sibelius Wrote: So who did you think was a "only ten in the last 20 years" level TE that was available to us? Pitts fits that category but we never had a chance on him. I don't think there were any epic TE prospects in the draft. 

I wish we'd gone for a TE earlier in the draft, even though this year's available choices weren't that great. We should have given TE a higher priority, but I don't think there were any choices that rose to the level you're describing.

If Josh Allen didn't surprisingly drop to pick # 7 in the 2019 Draft, T.J. Hockenson was probably under serious consideration to be the Jaguars pick.

Hey D6, how do you think Detroit did?

I really liked the Lions draft.  You guys are already much more of a power team than I ever remember you being.  Just about all of your picks have a legit shot at making some sort of impact for you.

As for Hockenson, you are correct.  He was the likely pick had Allen not fallen into our laps at 7.

What a pick by Philly getting Gainwell in the 5th. That’s how you running back the draft.

(05-02-2021, 01:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 01:54 PM)D6 Wrote: If Josh Allen didn't surprisingly drop to pick # 7 in the 2019 Draft, T.J. Hockenson was probably under serious consideration to be the Jaguars pick.

Hey D6, how do you think Detroit did?

I really liked the Lions draft.  You guys are already much more of a power team than I ever remember you being.  Just about all of your picks have a legit shot at making some sort of impact for you.

As for Hockenson, you are correct.  He was the likely pick had Allen not fallen into our laps at 7.

Bullseye, overall I thought it was a good draft by the Lions. Dan Campbell's input in the Lions draft decisions was evident.

My two primary disappointments based on available option are the Lions not drafting NC WR Dyami Brown, though I think NC State DT Alim McNeill was a good value pick in the early part of Round 3 ( # 72 ).  And the Lions passing up on LSU LB Jabril Cox ( even with consecutive picks ( # 112 and # 113 in the early part of .Round 4 ). Purdue LB Derrick Barnes was the LB choice at # 113 instead ( trade with the Browns for the pick). Though Barnes has plenty of versatility on Defense and has makings of a high quality Special Teams player,  the upside LB potential of Cox was very appealing.

(05-02-2021, 02:34 PM)D6 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 01:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Hey D6, how do you think Detroit did?

Bullseye, overall I thought it was a good draft by the Lions. Dan Campbell's input in the Lions draft decisions was evident.

My two primary disappointments based on available option are the Lions not drafting NC WR Dyami Brown, though I think NC State DT Alim McNeill was a good value pick in the early part of Round 3 ( # 72 ).  And the Lions passing up on LSU LB Jabril Cox ( even with consecutive picks ( # 112 and # 113 in the early part of .Round 4 ). Purdue LB Derrick Barnes was the LB choice at # 113 instead ( trade with the Browns for the pick). Though Barnes has plenty of versatility on Defense and has makings of a high quality Special Teams player,  the upside LB potential of Cox was very appealing.

A reasonable take.  All your points make perfect sense.  But I like the idea of the Lions being a power running team.  Run the ball and stop the run.

If they are healthy, the Lions will be a tough out.

(05-02-2021, 02:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 02:34 PM)D6 Wrote: Bullseye, overall I thought it was a good draft by the Lions. Dan Campbell's input in the Lions draft decisions was evident.

A reasonable take.  All your points make perfect sense.  But I like the idea of the Lions being a power running team.  Run the ball and stop the run.

Thanks!

Though I think the 2021 season will be more of a building block for the Lions, the direction that new GM Brad Holmes and HC Dan Campbell have the Lions going in is very encouraging.  

While I was hoping Dyami Brown would be one of the Lions Day 2 picks, the discipline that Holmes and Co. demonstrated by taking two straight DTs on Day 2 is something that I greatly respect.  I now have a high degree of confidence that Holmes won't be reaching for players, to prioritize filling short term needs.

(05-02-2021, 02:58 PM)D6 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 02:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: A reasonable take.  All your points make perfect sense.  But I like the idea of the Lions being a power running team.  Run the ball and stop the run.

Thanks!

Though I think the 2021 season will be more of a building block for the Lions, the direction that new GM Brad Holmes and HC Dan Campbell have the Lions going in is very encouraging.  

While I was hoping Dyami Brown would be one of the Lions Day 2 picks, the discipline that Holmes and Co. demonstrated by taking two straight DTs on Day 2 is something that I greatly respect.  I now have a high degree of confidence that Holmes won't be reaching for players, to prioritize filling short term needs.
It shows a clear plan to building the Lions.

For the Lions' sake, I hope management has the patience to let it materialize. 

The Lions are not far from making noise in that division, especially if Rodgers is out of the picture.

I can easily see the Jaguars passing the Texans.  Since the Colts inexplicably passed on Darrisaw when he fell to them, it makes the chances of Wentz salvaging his career lower, which makes it more possible the Jaguars can pass them in the near future.

(05-02-2021, 03:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 02:58 PM)D6 Wrote: Thanks!

It shows a clear plan to building the Lions.

For the Lions' sake, I hope management has the patience to let it materialize. 

The Lions are not far from making noise in that division, especially if Rodgers is out of the picture.

I can easily see the Jaguars passing the Texans.  Since the Colts inexplicably passed on Darrisaw when he fell to them, it makes the chances of Wentz salvaging his career lower, which makes it more possible the Jaguars can pass them in the near future.

One reason why I am optimistic the Lions highest levels of the organization will be patient is the addition of Chris Spielman as a full time special advisor. Chris Spielman was getting heavily criticized on Twitter ( among other places )  during the 2019 season when he stressed patience should be the course of action with the former GM Bob Quinn and HC Matt Patricia. Lions owner Sheila Ford Hamp and Team President Rod Wood have tremendous respect for Spielman's opinions. IMHO, Spielman was the reason why I believe the search process for a new GM and HC was handled well.

The uncertainty the Packers have with Aaron Rodgers could indeed open opportunities in the NFC North.  Even though I'm not sold on Kirk Cousins at QB,  the Vikings have a strong overall roster, with a high quality HC. The apparent break that the Jaguars and the Colts other two AFC South opponents got by Indianapolis passing on Christian Darrisaw, turned into a huge opportunity for the Vikings two picks later.  

While I projected Kwity Paye to be the Colts pick at # 21 in my Mock Draft,  I didn't envision Darrisaw being available at 21. The drop of Rashawn Slater to the LA Chargers pick at # 13 and the Jets willingness to compensate the Vikings to trade up from pick # 23 to pick # 14 to move up for USC G Alijah Vera -Tucker, unexpectedly ( at least on this end ) opened the door for the Colts to fill their LT need.  The Colts have a good to very good overall roster.  But they have huge question marks in what most consider the two most important positions on Offense.  

With everything that transpired through this point in time this season, I think the Jaguars are closer to where the Colts are than from the bottom where the Texans have landed.  

If as expected Trevor Lawrence becomes the most differential player in the AFC South by sometime in his 2nd NFL season, the Jaguars should realistically become a serious contender for the AFC South Title no later than the 2023 season.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2021, 04:11 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(05-02-2021, 02:34 PM)D6 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 01:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Hey D6, how do you think Detroit did?

I totally agree with everything you said. Dyami Brown and Jabril Cox were both very high on my wish list as well, but for you guys to land Penei Sewell was amazing. The Bengals will be kicking themselves in a couple of years.

It's also a plus for the Lions that Aaron Rodgers may not be in Green Bay much longer. That division will be wide open if that happens. Bookend Tackles of Decker and Sewell makes me jealous.

(05-02-2021, 04:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 02:34 PM)D6 Wrote: Bullseye, overall I thought it was a good draft by the Lions. Dan Campbell's input in the Lions draft decisions was evident.

I totally agree with everything you said. Dyami Brown and Jabril Cox were both very high on my wish list as well, but for you guys to land Penei Sewell was amazing. The Bengals will be kicking themselves in a couple of years.

It's also a plus for the Lions that Aaron Rodgers may not be in Green Bay much longer. That division will be wide open if that happens.

I'm still struck by the fact the Lions can be a power running team with Sewell and Taylor Decker at T.

For all the years the great Barry Sanders was there, I don't think any of his OLs could be construed as power OLs.  Lomas Brown was a good LT, but he was more a pass protector than anything.  These guys now-with Ragnow inside-could be dominant.  The perimeter guys can be added later, though Amon Ra Brown will help some.  But Detroit has a good chance of controlling the trenches on both sides of the ball.

(05-02-2021, 04:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

It's also a plus for the Lions that Aaron Rodgers may not be in Green Bay much longer. That division will be wide open if that happens. Bookend Tackles of Decker and Sewell makes me jealous.

One thing in particular that's apparent is the Lions new regime strongly believes what your user name reflects. 

The Penei Sewell selection with pick # 7, even with the strong foundation of LT Taylor Decker, LG Jonah Jackson,  and Pro Bowl Center Frank Ragnow already in place, indicates that the Offensive Line is a very high priority for Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell.  The Defensive Line is as well, with the re-signing of DE Romeo Okwara and drafting DTs in consecutive Day 2 Rounds.

(05-02-2021, 04:19 PM)D6 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 04:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I totally agree with everything you said. Dyami Brown and Jabril Cox were both very high on my wish list as well, but for you guys to land Penei Sewell was amazing. The Bengals will be kicking themselves in a couple of years.

One thing in particular that's apparent is the Lions new regime strongly believes what your user name reflects. 

The Penei Sewell selection with pick # 7, even with the strong foundation of LT Taylor Decker, LG Jonah Jackson,  and Pro Bowl Center Frank Ragnow already in place, indicates that the Offensive Line is a very high priority for Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell.  The Defensive Line is as well, with the re-signing of DE Romeo Okwara and drafting DTs in consecutive Day 2 Rounds.

I really like how the Lions are building their team.