Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Day 3 at the draft

(05-01-2021, 10:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 10:23 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Also both of our strarting guards contracts are up at the end of the year

This, and there is still the nagging sense that Cann could/should be upgraded.  Everything seems to point to Smith here.

Of course, this likely means they will go elsewhere.  It's too much like the right thing to have Jaguars fans universally happy about more than one pick in any draft.   Laughing

Agreed lol.  Im really high on Deonte Brown as well, he was pretty much dominant his whole college career and has lost some weight and likely in some of his best shape.  Id love that pick too

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2940...fter-day-2

I like these players in no set order:

Brevin Jordan TE
Kenny Yeboah TE
Tre Smith G
Deonte Brown G
Dayiyon Nixon DL
Jay Tufele DL
Marvin Wilson DL
Jaylen Twyman DL
Rashad Weaver DE
Dylan Moses LB
Jabril Cox LB
Caden Sterns S
Stone Forsythe T
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 10:33 AM by JeepJag.)

(05-01-2021, 10:21 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 10:13 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's time to take a chance on Smith.  If the blood clots don't come back he could be the steal of the draft.  I'm willing to take that chance at this point

Listening to Baalke, a reporter specifically asked him about the ACL guys he drafts.  Baalke kept saying it's a risk-reward dynamic.

Unless the blood clot thing is far more serious than we know, I can't see how Smith wouldn't be one of those risk-reward gambles Baalke is willing to take.  Granted I'm no doctor, but if the blood clot condition were THAT serious, I don't think UT would have let him play this year, nor do I think the Senior Bowl would have brought him in.

I hope he's the pick for us when the draft starts today.

I replied in the wrong place, but:

When he had the blood clot, they would’ve done a hematological workup to determine if he has a genetic clotting disorder. If he did, then he’s on blood thinners for life and out of football permanently. If they determined it was provoked and caused by something identifiable, then he’s on oral anti coagulation for 3-6 months and then he can come off of them. If they’re letting him play again, then my educated guess is that he didn’t have a reason to be on lifetime anticoagulation, then his issue is resolved.

Another good batch of available picks:

69. Marlon Tuipulotu, DT, USC (6-foot-2, 307 pounds)
72. Brevin Jordan, TE, Miami (Fla.) (6-foot-3, 247 pounds)
77. Jabril Cox, LB, LSU (6-foot-3, 232 pounds)
78. Jay Tufele, DT, USC (6-foot-2, 305 pounds)
81. Daviyon Nixon, DT, Iowa (6-foot-3, 313 pounds)
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 10:55 AM by Bullseye.)

(05-01-2021, 10:31 AM)JeepJag Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 10:21 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Listening to Baalke, a reporter specifically asked him about the ACL guys he drafts.  Baalke kept saying it's a risk-reward dynamic.

Unless the blood clot thing is far more serious than we know, I can't see how Smith wouldn't be one of those risk-reward gambles Baalke is willing to take.  Granted I'm no doctor, but if the blood clot condition were THAT serious, I don't think UT would have let him play this year, nor do I think the Senior Bowl would have brought him in.

I hope he's the pick for us when the draft starts today.

I replied in the wrong place, but:

When he had the blood clot, they would’ve done a hematological workup to determine if he has a genetic clotting disorder. If he did, then he’s on blood thinners for life and out of football permanently. If they determined it was provoked and caused by something identifiable, then he’s on oral anti coagulation for 3-6 months and then he can come off of them. If they’re letting him play again, then my educated guess is that he didn’t have a reason to be on lifetime anticoagulation, then his issue is resolved.

Thanks for the insight!

That makes perfect sense, but then it raises questions.

"If they're letting him play again..." who is "they?"  I've heard nothing saying his career is over.  Usually when something like that happens, it hits the news and the guy retires.  Tennessee allowed him to play, as did the Senior Bowl.  Would they have let him play had they not done the lab work?  Why wouldn't they have done the genetic disorder blood work immediately after determining the clotting issue?  How long would it have taken for those results to have returned?  Are there other unidentifiable causes for blood clotting NOT attributable to a genetic disorder that could preclude him from playing again?  Do the anti coagulation medicines have side effects that would hinder his ability to play?

(05-01-2021, 10:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 10:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This, and there is still the nagging sense that Cann could/should be upgraded.  Everything seems to point to Smith here.

Of course, this likely means they will go elsewhere.  It's too much like the right thing to have Jaguars fans universally happy about more than one pick in any draft.   Laughing

Agreed lol.  Im really high on Deonte Brown as well, he was pretty much dominant his whole college career and has lost some weight and likely in some of his best shape.  Id love that pick too

His appearance in the Senor Bowl dampened my enthusiasm towards Brown, but at this stage of the draft, he would be worth a look.  I would add him to the list of guys I'd consider.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Jaelon Darden and Kenny Yeboah, please and thank you.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-01-2021, 10:52 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 10:31 AM)JeepJag Wrote: I replied in the wrong place, but:

Thanks for the insight!

"If they're letting him play again..." who is "they?"  I've heard nothing saying his career is over.  Usually when something like that happens, it hits the news and the guy retires.  Tennessee allowed him to play, as did the Senior Bowl.  Would they have let him play had they not done the lab work?  Why wouldn't they have done the genetic disorder blood work immediately after determining the clotting issue?  How long would it have taken for those results to have returned?  Are there other unidentifiable causes for blood clotting NOT attributable to a genetic disorder that could preclude him from playing again?  Do the anti coagulation medicines have side effects that would hinder his ability to play?

(05-01-2021, 10:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agreed lol.  Im really high on Deonte Brown as well, he was pretty much dominant his whole college career and has lost some weight and likely in some of his best shape.  Id love that pick too

His appearance in the Senor Bowl dampened my enthusiasm towards Brown, but at this stage of the draft, he would be worth a look.  I would add him to the list of guys I'd consider.
Yeah, I think he let his weight get a little out of control.  If he weighed the same at his pro day I'd be more concerned.  He lost lile 20 lbs though in between which shows me he took the criticism seriously.  I also have faith in our new coaching staff to keep him in shape

(05-01-2021, 11:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 10:52 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Thanks for the insight!

Yeah, I think he let his weight get a little out of control.  If he weighed the same at his pro day I'd be more concerned.  He lost lile 20 lbs though in between which shows me he took the criticism seriously.  I also have faith in our new coaching staff to keep him in shape

That's what scares me about Brown. How disciplined can he be when he lets his weight fluctuate like that? He showed up at the Senior Bowl, (arguably the biggest opportunity of his life) and he looked like a fat, slob. He was slow, out of shape and was constantly getting whipped all week. If we draft him, can we trust him to stay in shape? If he didn't take take the Senior bowl seriously when he knew scouts and coaches from all 32 teams would be there, how do we know he would take the NFL seriously once he gets paid? That is a major red flag to me.

(05-01-2021, 09:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 07:30 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Best remaining from Daniel Jeremiah's top prospect list....

LB Jabril Cox
RB Michael Carter
C Drew Dalman
Edge Elerson Smith
RB Kenneth Gainwell
CB Zech McPhearson
Edge Cameron Sample
TE Brevin Jordan
WR Tylan Wallace
OT James Hudson

In addition to the top 10 list above, there are some good mid-tier DTs available if they are looking to fill in Tyson's departure: Daviyon Nixon, Marlon Tuipulotu, Tyler Shelvin, Tommy Togiai, and Jay Tufele.  If some backups at the OLB/rush positions are needed, some decent guys are there: Smith and Sample from above list, Jonathon Cooper, Quincy Roche, Patrick Johnson, Jordan Smith, and Ogundeji.  

With the picks they have made, I have no idea who they will take.  For pure need, I would like to take Brevin Jordan...he'll be a serviceable pro TE.

The only way I would pick for need in the 4th round is if there is no better available player.   It's the 4th round, talent is getting sparse, successful picks are getting rare.  If you pick for need here, you're making the chance of getting a successful player very slim.
As the draft moves into rounds 4 and higher, the player grades tend to flatten out (or, more have the same or similar grades), which lends toward using need comes into play without giving up a BAP philosophy.

(05-01-2021, 11:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 10:52 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Thanks for the insight!

You have faith in Warhop? How? What has he done to instill this faith?

Smith and Brown are both throwback power guards. I don't think that's what Urban wants. I'd be surprised if we draft either one.

Is that Dilla guy saying anything about who our next pick might be?

(05-01-2021, 11:12 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 11:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yeah, I think he let his weight get a little out of control.  If he weighed the same at his pro day I'd be more concerned.  He lost lile 20 lbs though in between which shows me he took the criticism seriously.  I also have faith in our new coaching staff to keep him in shape

That's what scares me about Brown. How disciplined can he be when he lets his weight fluctuate like that? He showed up at the Senior Bowl, (arguably the biggest opportunity of his life) and he looked like a fat, slob. He was slow, out of shape and was constantly getting whipped all week. If we draft him, can we trust him to stay in shape? If he didn't take take the Senior bowl seriously when he knew scouts and coaches from all 32 teams would be there, how do we know he would take the NFL seriously once he gets paid? That is a major red flag to me.

I share many of these concerns.

There have been plenty of good pros that would struggle with their weight.  I recall Nate Newton constantly facing the battle of the bulge, but he had a very good career.

But my thing is there wasn't much time between the National Championship game and the Senior bowl which means either: 

1.  He let himself go DURING the season, including the playoff run, which put his performance, the offense's performance, and the team's performance at risk, or;

2.  He let himself go AFTER the season, which means he put on a lot of weight between the end of the season and the Senior Bowl-maybe 2-3 weeks; or

3.  He was never in shape, which means either his coaches did not push him to get/stay in shape, or he was not responsive to coaching.  Does he know how to work enough to be a good pro?

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 11:34 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(05-01-2021, 11:27 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 11:12 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's what scares me about Brown. How disciplined can he be when he lets his weight fluctuate like that? He showed up at the Senior Bowl, (arguably the biggest opportunity of his life) and he looked like a fat, slob. He was slow, out of shape and was constantly getting whipped all week. If we draft him, can we trust him to stay in shape? If he didn't take take the Senior bowl seriously when he knew scouts and coaches from all 32 teams would be there, how do we know he would take the NFL seriously once he gets paid? That is a major red flag to me.

I share many of these concerns.

There have been plenty of good pros that would struggle with their weight.  I recall Nate Newton constantly facing the battle of the bulge, but he had a very good career.

But my thing is there wasn't much time between the National Championship game and the Senior bowl which means either: 

1.  He let himself go DURING the season, including the playoff run, which put his performance, the offense's performance, and the team's performance at risk, or;

2.  He let himself go AFTER the season, which means he put on a lot of weight between the end of the season and the Senior Bowl-maybe 2-3 weeks; or

3.  He was never in shape, which means either his coaches did not push him to get/stay in shape, or he was not responsive to coaching.  Does he know how to work enough to be a good pro?

This is what I am suspecting. He didn't look that fat and slow in the NCG. That is concerning he could gain so much weight in such a short time.

LB Jabril Cox - Yes.
RB Michael Carter
C Drew Dalman - Yes.
Edge Elerson Smith
RB Kenneth Gainwell
CB Zech McPhearson
Edge Cameron Sample
TE Brevin Jordan - Yes.
WR Tylan Wallace
OT James Hudson

Guys... what is everyone's confidence level with Urban and Trent's drafting thus far? I mean, I love the first two picks, and I am a big supporter of Urban. But... I'm just not very confident at this point that Urban is following through with a mastermind plan. If you ask me, the second and third round picks appear to be a little amateur. I'm not trying to prematurely judge, it just seems a little desperate and simple. I hope I'm wrong, and Urban proves to be the genius we all want him to be.

What does everyone on this board think?

(05-01-2021, 11:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 11:27 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I share many of these concerns.

This is what I am suspecting. He didn't look that fat and slow in the NCG. That is concerning he could gain so much weight in such a short time.
Exactly.

But considering how poorly this DT class is being perceived by NFL teams, I'm now wondering whether Brown's performance was inflated, especially in light of this weight discussion.

WR, DL/Edge, LB are the Jags next 3 picks.

(05-01-2021, 11:38 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Guys... what is everyone's confidence level with Urban and Trent's drafting thus far? I mean, I love the first two picks, and I am a big supporter of Urban. But... I'm just not very confident at this point that Urban is following through with a mastermind plan. If you ask me, the second and third round picks appear to be a little amateur. I'm not trying to prematurely judge, it just seems a little desperate and simple. I hope I'm wrong, and Urban proves to be the genius we all want him to be.

Not very high. The only thing I give him high marks for was the no-brainer pick of Trevor Lawrence.

(05-01-2021, 11:38 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Guys... what is everyone's confidence level with Urban and Trent's drafting thus far? I mean, I love the first two picks, and I am a big supporter of Urban. But... I'm just not very confident at this point that Urban is following through with a mastermind plan. If you ask me, the second and third round picks appear to be a little amateur. I'm not trying to prematurely judge, it just seems a little desperate and simple. I hope I'm wrong, and Urban proves to be the genius we all want him to be.

Difficult to say for me.

In theory, those who think the team should not regard need at all in determining draft strategy should be thrilled with at least 25 and 33, but I'm not getting that sense.

I am neither stoked by the picks, nor am I bummed out by the picks. 

I am greatly concerned about the Little pick though.  Aside from TL, his is the most important pick in this draft.