Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade the draft
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

Rookie NFL Coach picks like a rookie NFL coach

Well, time will only tell, but I have made my opinion. Urban is lost. Will excellent QB play overshadow this...we hope so.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah, Urban is the guy in charge here and he's screwed rhe pooch. Maybe every one if these picks end up being all stars at their positions and he's just ahead of everyone else, but I very much doubt it.

Don't forget that our best player last year wasn't even drafted!

(05-01-2021, 03:13 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:11 PM)Ronster Wrote: Thank God for Trevor Lawrence, or this draft would be a joke. So many needs and the rookie NFL Coach picks a RB in the first round that he could have gotten in the third round. I hope he coaches games better than he drafts. Draft Grade C-

What’s your overall grade?

Many in the media have loved our draft. I don't get all the hate.

Fans get interested in the draft, they get stuck on certain players, and when those players don't get selected, they have a meltdown, and they don't have the self-awareness to see themselves.  Other fans just enjoy being negative.  It happens every year.

The draft is a gamble. Any of you experts could be wrong including coach meyer. I suggest you shut the trap on your face and wait and see.

I don't get the hate. None of these players were drafted outside the range they were expected.

Etienne was listed as the #1 RB and expected to go late 1st/early 2nd round. Steelers took Najee Harris one pick before, and the fact that Etienne is familiar with Trevor Lawrence probably played a factor in it.

Campbell was expected to be a late 1st/early 2nd rounder too.

Little was expected to go in the 2nd round.

It's not like the Jags drafted a punter in the 3rd round, or did they take someone expected to go undefeated in the 1st round.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 05:10 PM by Ding Dong.)

Sign Tim Tebow!

he's a born wiener.

Welcome to the NFL Coach
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(05-01-2021, 04:55 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 03:13 PM)Dimson Wrote: Many in the media have loved our draft. I don't get all the hate.

Fans get interested in the draft, they get stuck on certain players, and when those players don't get selected, they have a meltdown, and they don't have the self-awareness to see themselves.  Other fans just enjoy being negative.  It happens every year.

Yep. For a lot of Jag fans, fandom is synonymous with being negative. Having a more conventional draft didn't help Caldwell build a successful team. I think UM's goal was to build up team speed and athleticism and he accomplished that. Let's see how it plays out before heading to the Modis building.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

IMO this draft was a "Solid B" because the coaches and front office know what the teams needs are and know what they have more than we do. They did the evaluations, and I trust them. My grades are based on the player and not where he was drafted at.

Trevor Lawrence A++
Travis Etienne A-
Tyson Campbell B
Walker Little B
Andre Cisco B
Jay Tufele B+

Jordan Smith C+

Luke Farrell C

Jalen Camp C-

Steal for me out of these picks was Jay Tufele.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 05:50 PM by TheDuke007.)

(05-01-2021, 05:04 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: I don't get the hate.  None of these players were drafted outside the range they were expected.  

Etienne was listed as the #1 RB and expected to go late 1st/early 2nd round.  Steelers took Najee Harris one pick before, and the fact that Etienne is familiar with Trevor Lawrence probably played a factor in it.  

It's not like the Jags drafted a punter in the 3rd round, or did they take someone expected to go undefeated in the 1st round.

The Jaguars drafted 8 players not counting Trevor Lawrence.  I know rankings are going to vary, but if you go by CBS Sports player rankings, there are items to criticize:

Travis Etienne - He was taken 25th but was ranked 37th.  He also plays the same position as the Jaguars best offensive player from last year. 

Tyson Campbell -  He was taken 33rd but ranked 39th.  He was also taken at a position that was one our least needed.  Our biggest free agent signing during the off-season was at cornerback and and we also have a player that was drafted in the top 10 last year on the roster.  We even re-signed a couple of starters from last year to provide depth.  There were also multiple players at need positions still on the board including ones ranked 17th, 23rd and 25th.

Walker Little - He was taken 45th but ranked 85th.

Andre Cisco - He's one of two where the player was taken later than his ranking.  He was taken 65th but ranked 56th.  However, there was a player at a need position ranked 29th still on the board.

Jay Tufele - The only other player who was taken later than his ranking.  He was ranked 90th and taken 106th.  However, there was a player at the same position ranked 45th still on the board.

Jordan Smith - Not a big reach, but was ranked worse than his draft position and we traded up to take him.

Luke Farrell - He was taken 145th but ranked 361st.

Jalen Camp - He was taken 209th but ranked 313th.

(05-01-2021, 05:46 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 05:04 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: I don't get the hate.  None of these players were drafted outside the range they were expected.  

Etienne was listed as the #1 RB and expected to go late 1st/early 2nd round.  Steelers took Najee Harris one pick before, and the fact that Etienne is familiar with Trevor Lawrence probably played a factor in it.  

The Jaguars drafted 8 players not counting Trevor Lawrence.  I know rankings are going to vary, but if you go by CBS Sports player rankings, there are items to criticize:

Travis Etienne - He was taken 25th but was ranked 37th.  He also plays the same position as the Jaguars best offensive player from last year. 

Tyson Campbell -  He was taken 33rd but ranked 39th.  He was also taken at a position that was one our least needed.  Our biggest free agent signing during the off-season was at cornerback and and we also have a player that was drafted in the top 10 last year on the roster.  We even re-signed a couple of starters from last year to provide depth.  There were also multiple players at need positions still on the board including ones ranked 17th, 23rd and 25th.

Andre Cisco - He's one of two where the player was taken later than his ranking.  He was taken 65th but ranked 56th.  However, there was a player at a need position ranked 29th still on the board.

Jay Tufele - The only other player who was taken later than his ranking.  He was ranked 90th and taken 106th.  However, there was a player at the same position ranked 45th still on the board.

Jordan Smith - Not a big reach, but was ranked worse than his draft position and we traded up to take him.

There were several other draft websites that ranked the players differently, but even these aren't that far off and are a good indicator that the Jags picked for value rather than positional need.  I'm personally glad that need drafting is a thing of the past.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 06:20 PM by Sibelius.)

(05-01-2021, 05:46 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

Well said.

(05-01-2021, 05:01 PM)Jag88 Wrote: The draft is a gamble. Any of you experts could be wrong including coach meyer. I suggest you shut the trap on your face and wait and see.

How do you type with those pom poms in your hands?

This is a message board, where people express their opinions, hero. This is why we're here. I suggest you shut the trap on your face instead of telling other people not to post opinions in a forum designed for them to post their opinions.

(05-01-2021, 06:09 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: There were several other draft websites that ranked the players differently, but even these aren't that far off and are a good indicator that the Jags picked for value rather than positional need.  I'm personally glad that need drafting is a thing of the past.

But in virtually every case, we picked BELOW the suggested ranking instead of above it. How is that picking for value? If they'd picked for value at the start of the draft in the areas that needed the most attention, that would have made a lot more sense.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

I'd give the draft overall a B-.

Trevor Lawrence saves the draft. Without him, I think it's a C- draft at best. But he moves the draft grade up a grade letter. As he should. He's something special. We'll see how some of these players work ou tin the long run. Some of them are pretty big risks. Here's hoping they all work out. Who knows? Maybe we'll have a competent coaching staff, and these players will actually develop and we'll see how much a competent coaching staff can help.

(05-01-2021, 03:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: A terrible draft outside the guy that almost everyone of us would've taken.

Almost every pick had better talent at positions of greater need available.

A shame to think how Gene Smith-like this draft was.

Yeah, I have to agree. I'd give this class a C- but that wasn't available so I chose D on the poll.

(05-01-2021, 06:15 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 05:46 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: The Jaguars drafted 8 players not counting Trevor Lawrence.  I know rankings are going to vary, but if you go by CBS Sports player rankings, there are items to criticize:

Well said.

(05-01-2021, 05:01 PM)Jag88 Wrote: The draft is a gamble. Any of you experts could be wrong including coach meyer. I suggest you shut the trap on your face and wait and see.

This is a message board, where people express their opinions, hero. This is why we're here. I suggest you shut the trap on your face instead of telling other people not to post opinions in a forum designed for them to post their opinions.

(05-01-2021, 06:09 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: There were several other draft websites that ranked the players differently, but even these aren't that far off and are a good indicator that the Jags picked for value rather than positional need.  I'm personally glad that need drafting is a thing of the past.

But in virtually every case, we picked BELOW the suggested ranking instead of above it. How is that picking for value? If they'd picked for value at the start of the draft in the areas that needed the most attention, that would have made a lot more sense.

By that logic, there is no reason to have scouts or a GM, just go by the CBS rankings of prospects.  The Packers picked up CB Eric Stokes who was projected as a 2nd rounder by most draft websites.  Does that mean they screwed the pooch too?  Campbell was the higher-rated prospect.  The Steelers picked Najee Harris who was the #2 RB.  Do the Steelers have incompetent scouts?    OG Trey Smith was highly rated, but why wasn't he drafted early?  

Now, I'm not going to say that I wouldn't have liked to see some other players drafted, but none of the fans have the in-depth knowledge of medical history, interviews, etc. so we don't know why certain players were picked where they were.  

I'm not going to say that I was ecstatic with all the picks, but at least give the new regime a chance to put their mark on the roster.

(05-01-2021, 05:41 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: IMO this draft was a "Solid B" because the coaches and front office know what the teams needs are and know what they have more than we do. They did the evaluations, and I trust them. My grades are based on the player and not where he was drafted at.

Trevor Lawrence A++
Travis Etienne A-
Tyson Campbell B
Walker Little B
Andre Cisco B
Jay Tufele B+

Jordan Smith C+

Luke Farrell C

Jalen Camp C-

Steal for me out of these picks was Jay Tufele.

I like those grades.. Down to Earth..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-01-2021, 03:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: A terrible draft outside the guy that almost everyone of us would've taken.

Almost every pick had better talent at positions of greater need available.

A shame to think how Gene Smith-like this draft was.

Wasn't very Gene Smith at all.  Most of the players were picked around where they should have gone, with a couple of exceptions.  (Luke Farrell)  We only traded up once, and only gave up a 5th and a 7th (and got a 6th in return).  Gene Smith would've traded next year's 2nd to pick in the 3rd this year.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 08:32 PM by nejagsfan.)

(05-01-2021, 02:32 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:11 PM)Ronster Wrote: Thank God for Trevor Lawrence, or this draft would be a joke. So many needs and the rookie NFL Coach picks a RB in the first round that he could have gotten in the third round. I hope he coaches games better than he drafts. Draft Grade C-

Trevor Lawrence A+
ETN B
Campbell C
Little B-
Cisco B+
Ronster F-
Tebow A+

you're grading is low compared to the what professional analyst say... I think I'll go with the professionals say...

(05-01-2021, 03:13 PM)Dimson Wrote:

Many in the media have loved our draft. I don't get all the hate.

it's because they'll never be happy.... most of these guys if our team doesn't pick exactly who they wanted they're going to complain... as somehow they're smarter than the professionals

(05-01-2021, 06:44 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 06:15 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Well said.

By that logic, there is no reason to have scouts or a GM, just go by the CBS rankings of prospects.  The Packers picked up CB Eric Stokes who was projected as a 2nd rounder by most draft websites.  Does that mean they screwed the pooch too?  Campbell was the higher-rated prospect.  The Steelers picked Najee Harris who was the #2 RB.  Do the Steelers have incompetent scouts?    OG Trey Smith was highly rated, but why wasn't he drafted early?  

Now, I'm not going to say that I wouldn't have liked to see some other players drafted, but none of the fans have the in-depth knowledge of medical history, interviews, etc. so we don't know why certain players were picked where they were.  

I'm not going to say that I was ecstatic with all the picks, but at least give the new regime a chance to put their mark on the roster.

Nope - and I'm not opposed to reaching past conventional wisdom for a particular player who you feel is better, especially for a particular need. But in this case they reached on virtually every pick, choosing players who no one felt was a BAP, who weren't even the BAP in their position in some cases, and who didn't fill our greatest needs. 

This draft WAS giving the regime a chance, and I really feel like they didn't perform well at all. I see it as a lot of lost opportunities.