Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Round 5 TE Luke Farrell

(05-02-2021, 09:25 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 11:29 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Johnson can’t block. Luke is regarded as the best blocking TE in the draft.

Farrell was a wasted pick. We already signed one of the better blocking TE's in the NFL when we signed Manhertz. We needed a pass catching TE. I live in Ohio and just like I've seen every pass ever thrown by Justin Fields at Ohio State, I've also seen every play Farrell has ever made for the Buckeyes. They were few and far between. He's just a blocker. He's slow, lumbering, doesn't get any separation and has so-so hands. I just don't understand this pick at all. It's almost like it was getting to the end of the draft and Meyer realized he had not drafted a TE, so he just picked a guy he knew. 

A lot of people on the board desperately wanted a pass catching TE, but if you look at the careers of both Meyer and Lawrence, neither utilized the position that much. I think the same will happen in this new offense. I think the emphasis will be on the receivers and RB's catching the ball. In fact, I can see the Jaguars ending the season towards the bottom of the league when it comes to using their TE's as receivers. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just how some offenses are designed. My only issue was why did we waste a draft pick on this guy when he is basically the exact same player Manhertz is?
I don't believe this pick was a waste. Fifth round picks are rarely every-down players. There are certainly exceptions such as Telvin Smith, however at this point of the draft you look for guys who can contribute in some way to the team. Farrell is reportedly a very good special-teams player in addition to a superior run-blocking tight end. He will see a lot of action on 3rd and short in double tight-end sets as well as special teams. 

This was a very weak tight end class after Pitts and Freirmuth. I wanted Freirmuth more than anyone, but once he was gone the options at getting a very good all-around tight end were limited. I know Meyer hasn't used tight-ends as receivers much or did Clemson with Lawrence, but I'd be shocked if they don't sign a receiving tight end prior to the start of the season. Hurst is the best option for this and I expect Meyer/Baalke to go after him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-02-2021, 10:36 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 09:25 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Farrell was a wasted pick. We already signed one of the better blocking TE's in the NFL when we signed Manhertz. We needed a pass catching TE. I live in Ohio and just like I've seen every pass ever thrown by Justin Fields at Ohio State, I've also seen every play Farrell has ever made for the Buckeyes. They were few and far between. He's just a blocker. He's slow, lumbering, doesn't get any separation and has so-so hands. I just don't understand this pick at all. It's almost like it was getting to the end of the draft and Meyer realized he had not drafted a TE, so he just picked a guy he knew. 

A lot of people on the board desperately wanted a pass catching TE, but if you look at the careers of both Meyer and Lawrence, neither utilized the position that much. I think the same will happen in this new offense. I think the emphasis will be on the receivers and RB's catching the ball. In fact, I can see the Jaguars ending the season towards the bottom of the league when it comes to using their TE's as receivers. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just how some offenses are designed. My only issue was why did we waste a draft pick on this guy when he is basically the exact same player Manhertz is?
I don't believe this pick was a waste. Fifth round picks are rarely every-down players. There are certainly exceptions such as Telvin Smith, however at this point of the draft you look for guys who can contribute in some way to the team. Farrell is reportedly a very good special-teams player in addition to a superior run-blocking tight end. He will see a lot of action on 3rd and short in double tight-end sets as well as special teams. 

This was a very weak tight end class after Pitts and Freirmuth. I wanted Freirmuth more than anyone, but once he was gone the options at getting a very good all-around tight end were limited. I know Meyer hasn't used tight-ends as receivers much or did Clemson with Lawrence, but I'd be shocked if they don't sign a receiving tight end prior to the start of the season. Hurst is the best option for this and I expect Meyer/Baalke to go after him.

I can honestly say, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go into the season and play with our current TE's. I don't see us dealing for one at all. The only way I see a major change is if there is a surprise cut somewhere and we go after them.

(05-02-2021, 10:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 10:36 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I don't believe this pick was a waste. Fifth round picks are rarely every-down players. There are certainly exceptions such as Telvin Smith, however at this point of the draft you look for guys who can contribute in some way to the team. Farrell is reportedly a very good special-teams player in addition to a superior run-blocking tight end. He will see a lot of action on 3rd and short in double tight-end sets as well as special teams. 

I can honestly say, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go into the season and play with our current TE's. I don't see us dealing for one at all. The only way I see a major change is if there is a surprise cut somewhere and we go after them.

I hope you are wrong. This team would be much better with a tight end who could stretch the middle of the field.

(05-02-2021, 11:15 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 10:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I can honestly say, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go into the season and play with our current TE's. I don't see us dealing for one at all. The only way I see a major change is if there is a surprise cut somewhere and we go after them.

I hope you are wrong. This team would be much better with a tight end who could stretch the middle of the field.

We have that guy. His name is Tyler Davis.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

It would not shock me to see the team put a bandaid on the spot for a year and re-sign Tyler Eifert, who is a free agent.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021, 09:36 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I thought we could have got him as a UFA.  I'm not certain anybody is clamoring over his 5 receptions for 37 yards last season

(05-01-2021, 11:44 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 08:08 PM)chris hill Wrote: Dont make sense why not just put Collin Johnson at TE put Luke Farrell at WR.. Both are 6-6 but Johnsons 227 to Lukes puny 210 frame lol.. Johnson just needs to add 20 pounds thats all..

Farrell weighs 251 pounds not 210.

LOL ...... the 210 pound 30 year old is Luke Ferrell the pitcher in the MLB.

(05-02-2021, 04:15 AM)Jag88 Wrote: With all the weapons on offense, this guy could sneak in and catch some first downs when everyone else is getting attention. We shall see

Kind of like saying if opponents double team the rest of our defensive line, then Taven Bryan may be able to make a few tackles and even get a sack here and there.

If Farrell can open up some holes being a blocking TE, the pick would be well worth it, IMO..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.c...53280/Amp/
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-03-2021, 09:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I thought we could have got him as a UFA.  I'm not certain anybody is clamoring over his 5 receptions for 37 yards last season

This...and how did Yeboah not end up darfted?!?!?!

After this year, I am completely resolved to the fact that I am completely out of synch with NFL scouting.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021, 10:23 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-03-2021, 09:42 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: If Farrell can open up some holes being a blocking TE, the pick would be well worth it, IMO..

Oh God ... this explains it ....

Statement from Urban
"Well, he's from my hometown — he's from right outside my hometown, so his peoples are my people, so I know those are all wonderful people in that area, Perry, Ohio," Meyer said. "So I love Luke. I love his family. He is a plus-two mentality, all the way. He is a worker, a grinder and to see him where he is at, from where he came — he's brilliant ... he's tough."

The last time I heard something this idiotic was when the Dolphins shocked the world by selected Ted Ginn Jr with  the #9 pick.  The GM stated that he was good friends with the Ginn family so they knew exactly what they were getting with Ted.

One of the things I’ve thought about in the drafting of Farrell is they may be planning on using 2 TEs a good bit to make up for deficiencies at both tackles. I don’t see how you have a dynamic offense out of a 2 TE set. But maybe they think they can.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(05-02-2021, 10:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I can honestly say, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go into the season and play with our current TE's. I don't see us dealing for one at all. The only way I see a major change is if there is a surprise cut somewhere and we go after them.

I agree, look at Spotrac there are more than a few teams that don't have enough cap space to sign their draft classes.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(05-03-2021, 10:22 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 09:42 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: If Farrell can open up some holes being a blocking TE, the pick would be well worth it, IMO..

Statement from Urban
"Well, he's from my hometown — he's from right outside my hometown, so his peoples are my people, so I know those are all wonderful people in that area, Perry, Ohio," Meyer said. "So I love Luke. I love his family. He is a plus-two mentality, all the way. He is a worker, a grinder and to see him where he is at, from where he came — he's brilliant ... he's tough."

The last time I heard something this idiotic was when the Dolphins shocked the world by selected Ted Ginn Jr with  the #9 pick.  The GM stated that he was good friends with the Ginn family so they knew exactly what they were getting with Ted.

Only difference is, the Phins took Ginn at number 9 and payed him 5 years/13 million dollars. (CJ Henderson got 4 years at 20.9 mil guaranteed). The first pick of the 5th round last year, Khalid Kareem got 2.9 million. Who's to say the guy doesn't come in and bump Manhertz off the roster as primary blocking TE?

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(05-03-2021, 10:22 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Statement from Urban

This verifies every fear I had about hiring Urban Meyer in the first place. This may be the most boneheaded statement of any head coach in our team's history! Fans were already questioning the pick and his complete lack of production as a pass catcher in college. Meyer basically admits TE was a need, so he drafted Farrell because he knew him and he was a good person who showed toughness? What does that have to do with his ability to play football? I know a lot of good, tough people who have no business being on a football field. Why would Meyer admit this? It makes him look like an incompetent fool! Especially in the 5th round where much, much, much better players were on the board. If he would have said this about Farrell after taking him in round 7, I would have said, "oh well, that's typical," but there were still two full rounds left in the draft when Farrell was picked and a lot of value still on the board! Unbelievable!

Where is all the outrage from the people on the board who strictly want BAP? This was obviously a needs pick and Meyer just admitted it.

(05-03-2021, 12:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 10:22 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Oh God ... this explains it ....

Statement from Urban

This verifies every fear I had about hiring Urban Meyer in the first place. This may be the most boneheaded statement of any head coach in our team's history! Fans were already questioning the pick and his complete lack of production as a pass catcher in college. Meyer basically admits TE was a need, so he drafted Farrell because he knew him and he was a good person who showed toughness? What does that have to do with his ability to play football? I know a lot of good, tough people who have no business being on a football field. Why would Meyer admit this? It makes him look like an incompetent fool! Especially in the 5th round where much, much, much better players were on the board. If he would have said this about Farrell after taking him in round 7, I would have said, "oh well, that's typical," but there were still two full rounds left in the draft when Farrell was picked and a lot of value still on the board! Unbelievable!

Where is all the outrage from the people on the board who strictly want BAP? This was obviously a needs pick and Meyer just admitted it.

Meyer is very transparent. He has nothing to hide. Even the local beat guys have said how refreshingly open and transparent he is.

(05-03-2021, 01:55 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 12:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This verifies every fear I had about hiring Urban Meyer in the first place. This may be the most boneheaded statement of any head coach in our team's history! Fans were already questioning the pick and his complete lack of production as a pass catcher in college. Meyer basically admits TE was a need, so he drafted Farrell because he knew him and he was a good person who showed toughness? What does that have to do with his ability to play football? I know a lot of good, tough people who have no business being on a football field. Why would Meyer admit this? It makes him look like an incompetent fool! Especially in the 5th round where much, much, much better players were on the board. If he would have said this about Farrell after taking him in round 7, I would have said, "oh well, that's typical," but there were still two full rounds left in the draft when Farrell was picked and a lot of value still on the board! Unbelievable!

Meyer is very transparent. He has nothing to hide. Even the local beat guys have said how refreshingly open and transparent he is.

You call it transparent, I call it shameless.

(05-03-2021, 12:31 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 10:22 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Oh God ... this explains it ....

Statement from Urban

Only difference is, the Phins took Ginn at number 9 and payed him 5 years/13 million dollars. (CJ Henderson got 4 years at 20.9 mil guaranteed). The first pick of the 5th round last year, Khalid Kareem got 2.9 million. Who's to say the guy doesn't come in and bump Manhertz off the roster as primary blocking TE?

I really don't like to critique 5th round picks, however, the fact that Brevin Jordan was slated to be a 3-4 round pick and slipped into the 5th round, will have me watching their NFL careers side by side since we obviously were in the market for a TE and selected Farrell 2 picks ahead of the Texans selecting Jordan.

We shall see.

So, he's obviously not changed his College mentality at all. That's not a good sign. He's a quitter, so if this fails quickly, will he just send a letter to Khan and jet after 7 losses?

(05-03-2021, 02:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 01:55 PM)Dimson Wrote: Meyer is very transparent. He has nothing to hide. Even the local beat guys have said how refreshingly open and transparent he is.

You call it transparent, I call it shameless.

Would you prefer a bunch of coach speak?

(05-03-2021, 03:59 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 02:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You call it transparent, I call it shameless.

Would you prefer a bunch of coach speak?

I would prefer he didn't take Farrell at all and addressed a different position with a much better player who was on the board.

In this case, I would prefer "coachspeak." If you're gonna give us an answer like we drafted a guy, because he knew him and thought he was a really good kid, I'd rather the rest of the world not realize what an idiot we hired. Transparency by a head coach is great, unless it reveals complete lack of intelligence in certain areas.