Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Seriously...what are we doing about TE?!

(05-04-2021, 03:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 03:03 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Atlanta needs the cap room and has let it be known that players may be had if the deal is right.  With the drafting of Kyle Pitts, having a good blocking TE (Lee Smith) on the roster, and declining the 5th year option on Hayden Hurst, Hurst may be a ripe trade target.  Hurst is a hometown Jacksonville product, is a productive TE with 56 catches last year, can in-line block sufficiently, and is affordable with about a $2m base salary on his remaining 1 year rookie deal.  Hurst is 27 years old.  Some sports radio people, in Jax and Atlanta, speculate a 4th or 5th round pick in next year's draft would likely acquire him.  Last year, the Falcons acquired him in trade from the Ravens using a 2nd round pick.

With only 1 year left on his deal, I would like to see an extension if they were to use a 4th or higher.  However, if they were to use a 5th or lower, I would gamble on his production and re-sign him if warranted.

I'd rather spend a 5th on Hurst than use a 3rd on Ertz.

I'd be quite happy spending a3rd,  4th or 5th to bring Hurst here.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

With all of the salary cap room remaining, the Jaguars absolutely need to trade for one of the tight ends likely on the market. Hurst would also be my first choice. He is still young, coming off a productive season for Atlanta and a hometown boy to boot. His salary for next season is also very reasonable. Atlanta could likely be talked into a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2022.

I wish you guys would trust me. Good QBs make avg players better. Heck they make the entire team look better.

Julius Thomas has so much hype coming here and he ended up being below average.

A good running game and a strong defense is all we need for Trevor right now.

TE is a non-premium position. I’m glad we got TEs that can block.

(05-04-2021, 06:11 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I wish you guys would trust me. Good QBs make avg players better. Heck they make the entire team look better.

Based on what?

If we were going for a super bowl I’d be joining the sky is falling crew about a TE.

This year we focus on a strong running game and development of our QB along with our young WRs. While improving our defense.

(05-04-2021, 06:11 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I wish you guys would trust me. Good QBs make avg players better. Heck they make the entire team look better.

Good point.  Some of those guys Tom Brady played with flat out stunk without him.  Great Players lift up lesser ones.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(05-04-2021, 06:52 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

Good point.  Some of those guys Tom Brady played with flat out stunk without him.  Great Players lift up lesser ones.

Same with Peyton Manning.

(05-04-2021, 03:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 03:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd rather spend a 5th on Hurst than use a 3rd on Ertz.

I'd be quite happy spending a3rd,  4th or 5th to bring Hurst here.

A 3rd would be too rich for my blood. I might consider a 4th and I'd definitely do a 5th.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 08:58 PM by surfon.)

Smh how much happier would this fanbase be if they had picked brevin jordan in the 5th instead of farell. Whether we are right or wrong time will tell.

Poor guy is already starting in a hole in the eyes of the fans. He better be one friggin good blocker.

There are a lot of rumors that Ertz is going to be released post June 1. I don't want to trade for him, but I sure would like to give him a FA contract.

I think our run game and receivers will be so good, a pass catching TE isn't priority.

We've become enamored with the Wallers and Kelce type so much that we think every team needs one. If your WRs good you won't miss the TE. We forget that TEs became big for teams because they didn't have WR.

And I believe we will really focus on running the ball this year. Getting Trevor experience. A lot of 2 backs, 3 wr formations. 4 and 5 wr formations with Etienne motioning into the backfield.

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021, 03:22 AM by JagsorDie.)

(05-04-2021, 06:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Based on what?

Travis Kelce has had 8 years in the NFL

5 with Alex smith/Foles/chase Daniels
3 with Mahomes

During the 5 With Alex smith 
2x 1000+ Yard
0x 10+TD
1x first team all pro
3 pro bowl
-Pretty good/arguably one of the top

During the 3 with Mahomes
All three- 1000+ yard
2x 10+ TD 
2x first team all pro
All three- Probowl 
1x second team all pro
-Best in the league/ I drafted him in the second round in a fantasy league( and didn’t regret it) type good.

(05-05-2021, 03:22 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 06:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Based on what?

Travis Kelce has had 8 years in the NFL

3 with Mahomes

2x 1000+ Yard
0x 10+TD
1x first team all pro
3 pro bowl

All three- 1000+ yard
2x 10+ TD 
2x first team all pro
All three- Probowl 
1x second team all pro
-Best in the league/ I drafted him in the second round in a fantasy league( and didn’t regret it) type good.

Kinda half told stats.. He only played in 1 game his rookie season, so really he has only played 7 seasons in the big picture of things.

TEs usually take 2-4 years to develop as well. While he was developing, his 2nd and 3rd seasons weren't bad at all. 67 rec, 862 yards 5 TD and 72 rec, 875 yards 5 TD.

He then has had 5 straight 1k+ receiving yard seasons. 2 With Smith and 3 with Mahomes. Kelce has always been really good. Sure Mahomes makes everybody around him better because he's one of the best QBs in the game, but lets not act like Kelce still wouldn't be great if he wasn't with Mahomes. He'd still be putting up very similar numbers without him.

It's also not a coincidence that his numbers got better once they acquired Tyreek Hill in 2016 (Kelce's first 1k+ yard season), while still playing with Smith. That took a bunch of pressure off of Kelce because teams couldn't mainly just focus on him.

I have a feeling Tyler Davis is going to do some things this year. Just watch his tape from college. The kid is a play maker.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-05-2021, 06:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 03:22 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: Travis Kelce has had 8 years in the NFL

3 with Mahomes

2x 1000+ Yard
0x 10+TD
1x first team all pro
3 pro bowl

All three- 1000+ yard
2x 10+ TD 
2x first team all pro
All three- Probowl 
1x second team all pro

Kinda half told stats.. He only played in 1 game his rookie season, so really he has only played 7 seasons in the big picture of things.

TEs usually take 2-4 years to develop as well. While he was developing, his 2nd and 3rd seasons weren't bad at all. 67 rec, 862 yards 5 TD and 72 rec, 875 yards 5 TD.

He then has had 5 straight 1k+ receiving yard seasons. 2 With Smith and 3 with Mahomes. Kelce has always been really good. Sure Mahomes makes everybody around him better because he's one of the best QBs in the game, but lets not act like Kelce still wouldn't be great if he wasn't with Mahomes. He'd still be putting up very similar numbers without him.

It's also not a coincidence that his numbers got better once they acquired Tyreek Hill in 2016 (Kelce's first 1k+ yard season), while still playing with Smith. That took a bunch of pressure off of Kelce because teams couldn't mainly just focus on him.

I cherry picked a little but the one undeniable piece is the td increase and the first team all pro picks IMO. I agree with you about the developmental process of a TE. It wouldn’t be a hard argument to make saying he was clearly trending upward regardless of who was his QB. But the point remains the same, IMO, that even without the first year, he played 4 years under smith and Co and those were his stats. 

I’m not going to act like we have a hidden Travis Kelce on our roster. But I think grading them on what minshew/bortles fed to them probably isn’t the best indicator of where they are capable of producing.

I was always curious as to what we could've done if we had used Zach Miller properly. Guy was out of football for four years after leaving Jacksonville, then comes out of NOWHERE in Chicago and has 2 pretty decent years and was starting to have a 3rd before having that horrific leg injury.

He spent 2 seasons out of the league, bounced around on preseason squads before settling in with the Bears at age 31. Not saying Tebow can do it, but who's to say he CAN'T?

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn