Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Seriously...what are we doing about TE?!

I'm not sure they don't have it as a priority but receiving TE may not be a priority.

They signed a blocking TE and drafted a blocking TE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Did you guys not hear? Timothy Tebow is going to play TE. Problem. Solved. lol.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021, 12:58 PM by Upper.)

(05-03-2021, 09:16 AM)Mikey Wrote: I just looked up Hock's stats, and 2 years, 99 catches and under 1K total yards. for the top TE in his darft.

That's why it's fine that we didn't draft one. The very long TE development arc was the main reason I said time and again that we shouldn't be taking Freiermuth in the 2nd round.

We should absolutely be bummed that we missed out on all of Henry, Jonnu, and Everett in FA though. They could have been instant impact. And we did have Jonnu on our top 6 priority list according to Dilla, they just weren't willing to pay as much as the Pats did. I bet they regret that now while we're still swimming in cap space.

(05-03-2021, 12:58 PM)Upper Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 09:16 AM)Mikey Wrote: I just looked up Hock's stats, and 2 years, 99 catches and under 1K total yards. for the top TE in his darft.

That's why it's fine that we didn't draft one. The very long TE development arc was the main reason I said time and again that we shouldn't be taking Freiermuth in the 2nd round.

We should absolutely be bummed that we missed out on all of Henry, Jonnu, and Everett in FA though. They could have been instant impact. And we did have Jonnu on our top 6 priority list according to Dilla, they just weren't willing to pay as much as the Pats did. I bet they regret that now while we're still swimming in cap space.

Agreed.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021, 01:19 PM by D6.)

(05-03-2021, 09:16 AM)Mikey Wrote: Not panicking. Outside of last season when he had a veteran Hock to play with, how TE-dependent have Bevell's offenses been? At OSU, did Urbz do much to recruit or use TE?

I just looked up Hock's stats, and 2 years, 99 catches and under 1K total yards. for the top TE in his darft.

I don't think the coaches have TE as a priority. Full stop. Maybe we should temper expectations, thinking that it will be a focus/outlet for Trevor to rely on.

During at least a couple of media sessions Darrell Bevell did in his 2 seasons with the Lions, he discussed the subject of getting the ball to the team's TEs. These comments, before the start of the 2020 season, stood out as Bevell's take:

James looking to be more involved in offense after down year (detroitlions.com)

Along with Hockesnon, Logan Thomas and Isaac Nauta – the Lions tight ends who caught a pass last year – Detroit's tight ends accounted for just 19 percent of all the receptions on offense last year.

Bevell wants to see that number increase in his second season running the offense.

"I talked to Jesse about getting Jesse more involved, but all those guys need to have opportunities to touch the ball," Bevell said earlier this offseason. "We have to able to find a good mix to keep the defenses honest. Just like last year, you'll see a tight end have a big game, you'll see a wideout have a big game. Sometimes that's scheme. Sometimes it's matchup. It's what the defense is presenting to us and who they're putting on guys.

"So, I think you'll still see it move around in terms of who gets the ball, but definitely it's something I've talked to those (tight ends) about getting them more involved where they're showing up and having games like that."

Rolling with more traditional blocking TEs means more of a power running game where RBs and WRs are primary targets most all of the time. Any receptions by TEs will be gravy, and since opponents won't be game-planning to stop TEs in the passing game, they catch more passes than we expect.

How does Kyle Brady look? Maybe a time machine for Pete Mitchell and the big sofa. Other than Mercedes we haven't done well with TE S a franchise.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

The more I look at Jalen Camp, the more intrigued I get. The kid is BIG (6'2/220). He ran a 4.4 and benched 30 reps on his pro day. Side by side pics he looks almost identical to DK Metcalf and looks like he's single digit body fat. Someone broke down his RAS table and he's similar to Evan Engram. Realistically, he could add another 10-15 lbs and keep his speed.

What if the team picked up a pass catching TE this weekend....and we just don't know it yet?

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(05-03-2021, 01:55 PM)NCJag Wrote: The more I look at Jalen Camp, the more intrigued I get. The kid is BIG (6'2/220). He ran a 4.4 and benched 30 reps on his pro day. Side by side pics he looks almost identical to DK Metcalf and looks like he's single digit body fat. Someone broke down his RAS table and he's similar to Evan Engram. Realistically, he could add another 10-15 lbs and keep his speed.

What if the team picked up a pass catching TE this weekend....and we just don't know it yet?

He's not a TE. At that size, he's a FB/H-Back type.

(05-03-2021, 01:55 PM)NCJag Wrote: The more I look at Jalen Camp, the more intrigued I get. The kid is BIG (6'2/220). He ran a 4.4 and benched 30 reps on his pro day. Side by side pics he looks almost identical to DK Metcalf and looks like he's single digit body fat. Someone broke down his RAS table and he's similar to Evan Engram. Realistically, he could add another 10-15 lbs and keep his speed.

Regardless of whether that particular player is on the 53 come September or not, the team doesn't have to convert bigger receivers to TE in order to insert them into the "F routes" at times during games. 

Our last regime did it when we we lost Oliver in his rookie year to injury and they actually got MOF production out of Dede Westbrook that way. 

The F tight end is the receiving or "move" guy and though he'll need to block or chip at times, when you just need the route available, he can be substituted with a receiver. 

Here's hoping we get a trade done for a move TE that makes it a moot point, but inserting a receiver occasionally in place of a receiving TE is not that big of a deal. We have guys that can fill the role here and there.

(05-03-2021, 01:50 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: How does Kyle Brady look? Maybe a time machine for Pete Mitchell and the big sofa. Other than Mercedes we haven't done well with TE S a franchise.

I remember driving behind Kyle Brady as he was riding his motorcycle.  It was like riding behind a UPS truck, wide-load.  He was just a block of a man.

(05-03-2021, 02:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Regardless of whether that particular player is on the 53 come September or not, the team doesn't have to convert bigger receivers to TE in order to insert them into the "F routes" at times during games. 

Our last regime did it when we we lost Oliver in his rookie year to injury and they actually got MOF production out of Dede Westbrook that way. 

The F tight end is the receiving or "move" guy and though he'll need to block or chip at times, when you just need the route available, he can be substituted with a receiver. 

Here's hoping we get a trade done for a move TE that makes it a moot point, but inserting a receiver occasionally in place of a receiving TE is not that big of a deal. We have guys that can fill the role here and there.

I honestly think if O'Shaughnessey stays healthy, he's a very serviceable receiving TE. He's certainly not Travis Kelce, but he should do fine filling the role that the TE has in this offense.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 03:13 AM by chris hill.)

We declinded Eiferts club option.. read here for more info on team options and players..

club option is an optional year at the end of the contract which may be guaranteed at the discretion of the club. ... If the player is injured or performs on a level that the club believes the option value to be too expensive, the club will typically pay the buyout and decline the option.

As you can see Eifert is still with us..

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/JAX

(05-04-2021, 03:12 AM)chris hill Wrote: We declinded Eiferts club option.. read here for more info on team options and players..

club option is an optional year at the end of the contract which may be guaranteed at the discretion of the club. ... If the player is injured or performs on a level that the club believes the option value to be too expensive, the club will typically pay the buyout and decline the option.

As you can see Eifert is still with us..

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/JAX

I think that is just an outdated roster. He is not on the team site.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 10:29 AM by CanDoBetter.)

Listen to Tony Khan at around 07:17. It does sound like he's still an option.

https://bleacherreport.com/post/jacksonv...f08fb0f43c

If we decide to not pursue a TE this year, I hope we do so next year via the draft. Jalen Wydermyer or Charlie Kolar would be great picks.

(05-04-2021, 12:34 PM)tealfootball Wrote: If we decide to not pursue a TE this year, I hope we do so next year via the draft.  Jalen Wydermyer or Charlie Kolar would be great picks.

My #1 TE for next season's draft.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 03:06 PM by ATLjag.)

Atlanta needs the cap room and has let it be known that players may be had if the deal is right. With the drafting of Kyle Pitts, having a good blocking TE (Lee Smith) on the roster, and declining the 5th year option on Hayden Hurst, Hurst may be a ripe trade target. Hurst is a hometown Jacksonville product, is a productive TE with 56 catches last year, can in-line block sufficiently, and is affordable with about a $2m base salary on his remaining 1 year rookie deal. Hurst is 27 years old. Some sports radio people, in Jax and Atlanta, speculate a 4th or 5th round pick in next year's draft would likely acquire him. Last year, the Falcons acquired him in trade from the Ravens using a 2nd round pick.

With only 1 year left on his deal, I would like to see an extension if they were to use a 4th or higher. However, if they were to use a 5th or lower, I would gamble on his production and re-sign him if warranted.

(05-04-2021, 03:03 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Atlanta needs the cap room and has let it be known that players may be had if the deal is right.  With the drafting of Kyle Pitts, having a good blocking TE (Lee Smith) on the roster, and declining the 5th year option on Hayden Hurst, Hurst may be a ripe trade target.  Hurst is a hometown Jacksonville product, is a productive TE with 56 catches last year, can in-line block sufficiently, and is affordable with about a $2m base salary on his remaining 1 year rookie deal.  Hurst is 27 years old.  Some sports radio people, in Jax and Atlanta, speculate a 4th or 5th round pick in next year's draft would likely acquire him.  Last year, the Falcons acquired him in trade from the Ravens using a 2nd round pick.

With only 1 year left on his deal, I would like to see an extension if they were to use a 4th or higher.  However, if they were to use a 5th or lower, I would gamble on his production and re-sign him if warranted.

I'd rather spend a 5th on Hurst than use a 3rd on Ertz.