Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kerryon Johnson Waived

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...n-johnson/

Would you claim him or otherwise sign him if he clears waivers?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Why? We just overspent for a guy who's probably more talented.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The positives Kerryon Johnson would bring to the Jaguars are he worked his tail off to become an elite pass / blitz protector, he's a good receiver, a true team first player, and his familiarity with Darrell Bevell as an Offensive Coordinator.

Unfortunately, he didn't regain his rushing ability that he had prior to a season ending knee injury in November,2018, in the early part of the 4th QTR of the Lions game against the Panthers. He was a distance 3rd in the Lions 2020 rushing pecking order, with Adrian Peterson and D'Andre Swift ahead of him.

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021, 11:36 PM by Bullseye.)

(05-05-2021, 10:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Why? We just overspent for a guy who's probably more talented.

At this point, I think I'd rather have him than Hyde, though UM will undoubtedly want HIS guys in the locker room, especially early on.

(05-05-2021, 10:51 PM)D6 Wrote: The positives Kerryon Johnson would bring to the Jaguars are he worked his tail off to become an elite pass / blitz protector, he's a good receiver, a true team first player, and his familiarity with Darrell Bevell as an Offensive Coordinator.

Unfortunately, he didn't regain his rushing ability that he had prior to a season ending knee injury in November,2018, in the early part of the 4th QTR of the Lions game against the Panthers. He was a distance 3rd in the Lions 2020 rushing pecking order, with Adrian Peterson and D'Andre Swift ahead of him.

Was it a complete ACL tear or what?

Nah

(05-05-2021, 11:35 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 10:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Why? We just overspent for a guy who's probably more talented.

At this point, I think I'd rather have him than Hyde, though UM will undoubtedly want HIS guys in the locker room, especially early on.

(05-05-2021, 10:51 PM)D6 Wrote: The positives Kerryon Johnson would bring to the Jaguars are he worked his tail off to become an elite pass / blitz protector, he's a good receiver, a true team first player, and his familiarity with Darrell Bevell as an Offensive Coordinator.

Surprisingly from the standpoint of the decline in ability and on a per carry basis,  the 2018 knee injury Kerryon Johnson suffered was 'only' a sprained MCL. That injury apparently didn't require surgery.

Against the Vikings in October, 2019. Kerryon Johnson suffered a torn meniscus. He needed surgery but played in the final two games that season.   That injury ( in game # 6 of the season ) might have contributed to a further decline in Kerryon's rushing abilities. Yet, in none of the 8 games he played in during the 2019 season, his avg per carry never was even as high as 4.9.  In the 10 combined games Kerryon played in 2018, which was.his rookie season, his avg. per carry was over 5.4. 

He had one game in the 2020 season in which he avg. 7.25 per carry. But that was on only 4 carries.  It was evident that Kerryon Johnson was no longer the promising runner from the 2018 season.

(05-06-2021, 12:41 AM)D6 Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 11:35 PM)Bullseye Wrote: At this point, I think I'd rather have him than Hyde, though UM will undoubtedly want HIS guys in the locker room, especially early on.

Surprisingly from the standpoint of the decline in ability and on a per carry basis,  the 2018 knee injury Kerryon Johnson suffered was 'only' a sprained MCL. That injury apparently didn't require surgery.

Against the Vikings in October, 2019. Kerryon Johnson suffered a torn meniscus. He needed surgery but played in the final two games that season.   That injury ( in game # 6 of the season ) might have contributed to a further decline in Kerryon's rushing abilities. Yet, in none of the 8 games he played in during the 2019 season, his avg per carry never was even as high as 4.9.  In the 10 combined games Kerryon played in 2018, which was.his rookie season, his avg. per carry was over 5.4. 

He had one game in the 2020 season in which he avg. 7.25 per carry. But that was on only 4 carries.  It was evident that Kerryon Johnson was no longer the promising runner from the 2018 season.
Unless I am misreading your post somehow, whether you are talking 4.9 or 5.4 ypc, that's still a healthy average.  I am getting the sense from the outside looking in that Campbell wants more of a power runner.

Am I misreading?

If the Jags pick up a RB to be the 4th in the room, I would assume it would be a speed back to be a backup similar to what Etienne brings. With the injury(s), I don't see Kerryon Johnson being that back.

(05-06-2021, 12:05 PM)ATLjag Wrote: If the Jags pick up a RB to be the 4th in the room, I would assume it would be a speed back to be a backup similar to what Etienne brings.  With the injury(s), I don't see Kerryon Johnson being that back.

Agree.  Kerryon is slow (4.52) whereas Armstead ran a 4.45 and Etienne ran a 4.42

Kerryon's slow 40 time was prior to his injury so he's probably even slower now.

Note:  When I say slow, I'm mean in comparison ..... I'd be happy to run a 4.52  Smile

(05-06-2021, 07:31 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 12:41 AM)D6 Wrote: Surprisingly from the standpoint of the decline in ability and on a per carry basis,  the 2018 knee injury Kerryon Johnson suffered was 'only' a sprained MCL. That injury apparently didn't require surgery.

Unless I am misreading your post somehow, whether you are talking 4.9 or 5.4 ypc, that's still a healthy average.  I am getting the sense from the outside looking in that Campbell wants more of a power runner.

Am I misreading?

The 4.9 yard avg. per carry number was the highest avg. per carry Kerryon Johnson had in any game in the 2019 season.  His overall avg. per carry in the 2019 season was only 3.6. On a much more limited rushing opportunity basis, Kerryon Johnson had a 3.5 avg. per carry in the overall 2020 season. The dropped from a 5.4 average per carry in the 2018 season was enormous. 

This is how Dan Campbell described Oregon St. RB Jarmar Jefferson, who the Lions drafted with pick # 257, in Round 7 of the 2021 Draft.  The combination of play speed ( not timed speed ), vision, toughness, smarts, burst, and punching off tacklers are what Dan Campbell values from RBs ( rushing ). Chances are high that Dan Campbell would have greatly valued the 2018 version of Kerryon Johnson as a rusher.

Justin Rogers on Twitter: "With Kerryon Johnson being waived, a reminder what Dan Campbell had to say about seventh-round pick Jermar Jefferson in an interview with @SiriusXMNFL on Tuesday. https://t.co/NIYAEiwcHM https://t.co/l1X2GtLLyX" / Twitter

To the Eagles.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952c2a301bd9bcb9bdebd...y.gif&ct=g]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-07-2021, 05:25 PM)RicoTx Wrote: To the Eagles.

With the RB options on the Eagles roster, I'm surprised the Eagles claimed Kerryon Johnson off waivers. I expect Miles Sanders, Boston Scott, and rookie 5th Round pick  Kenneth Gainwell to be on their opening day 53 man roster. Unless they keep 4 RBs ( non FBs ) on their 53 man roster or a significant injury occurs to Sanders, Scott, or Gainwell, Kerryon Johnson will probably be on the waiver wire again. It's far from a given that Kerryon will even be ahead of Jason Huntley and Jordan Howard, if there's an opening on their 53 man roster.