Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
4 scouts fired

AP reports Chris Driggers, Andy Dengler, Mark Ellenz and Paul Roell have all been discharged.

AP source: Jaguars fire 4 execs who spent 66 years with team (msn.com)
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They had a good run. I’d be interested to know how their styles didn’t mesh with Meyer’s and Baalke’s. Maybe they are blamed for CJ Henderson, Bryan, etc.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

not like they have a winning track record. Its good to get some fresh scouts in there to shake things up. Like my signature says.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

I wonder who they hired in their places?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 09:36 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

This is no surprise at all. Listening to Meyer this past week, it didn't sound like he even listened to scouts. He and Baalke made selections based on guys they knew, without regards to scouts, so who needs a scouting department? Pretty soon, Meyer is gonna run out of incoming players that he's familiar with though. What then? If anything, for a team that has been as bad as we have, I'd be expanding the scouting department, not shrinking it. We need all the help we can get.

(05-06-2021, 09:34 AM)Dimson Wrote: I wonder who they hired in their places?

Probably no one.

(05-06-2021, 09:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is no surprise at all. Listening to Meyer this past week, it didn't sound like he even listened to scouts. He and Baalke made selections based on guys they knew, without regards to scouts, so who needs a scouting department? Pretty soon, Meyer is gonna run out of incoming players that he's familiar with though. What then? If anything, for a team that has been as bad as we have, I'd be expanding the scouting department, not shrinking it. We need all the help we can get.

(05-06-2021, 09:34 AM)Dimson Wrote: I wonder who they hired in their places?

Probably no one.

He is not dumb. He knows he needs scouts. He can't scout the entire league and college by himself.

(05-06-2021, 09:40 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is no surprise at all. Listening to Meyer this past week, it didn't sound like he even listened to scouts. He and Baalke made selections based on guys they knew, without regards to scouts, so who needs a scouting department? Pretty soon, Meyer is gonna run out of incoming players that he's familiar with though. What then? If anything, for a team that has been as bad as we have, I'd be expanding the scouting department, not shrinking it. We need all the help we can get.

Probably no one.

He is not dumb. He knows he needs scouts. He can't scout the entire league and college by himself.

He didn't think he needed them this draft.

(05-06-2021, 09:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:40 AM)Dimson Wrote: He is not dumb. He knows he needs scouts. He can't scout the entire league and college by himself.

He will bring in his guys. Just like he did in college. You think he went out and scouted all those players on his own? I think not.

Lol, like he'll be in three years when he finally runs out of his boys...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-06-2021, 09:51 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He didn't think he needed them this draft.

He will bring in his guys. Just like he did in college. You think he went out and scouted all those players on his own? I think not.

I think he drafted these guys based on his own interactions with them during his college career and when he was recruiting players. He basically said as much. He said he selected Luke Farrell, because he knew he knew him and his family and he was a good guy.

(05-06-2021, 09:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:51 AM)Dimson Wrote: He will bring in his guys. Just like he did in college. You think he went out and scouted all those players on his own? I think not.

I think he drafted these guys based on his own interactions with them during his college career and when he was recruiting players. He basically said as much. He said he selected Luke Farrell, because he knew he knew him and his family and he was a good guy.

Apparently the Bills wanted to draft him for the same reasons, lol.

(05-06-2021, 10:00 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think he drafted these guys based on his own interactions with them during his college career and when he was recruiting players. He basically said as much. He said he selected Luke Farrell, because he knew he knew him and his family and he was a good guy.

Apparently the Bills wanted to draft him for the same reasons, lol.

And we should've let them have him. We already addressed blocking TE in free agency with Manhertz. He was one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL. We needed a pass catching TE and Farrell certainly doesn't fit that role.

(05-06-2021, 10:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:00 AM)Dimson Wrote: Apparently the Bills wanted to draft him for the same reasons, lol.

And we should've let them have him. We already addressed blocking TE in free agency with Manhertz. He was one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL. We needed a pass catching TE and Farrell certainly doesn't fit that role.

I agree we need a receiving TE. I think we might have him in Tyler Davis. He was injured most of last year but the kid can be dynamic in the passing game. Hopefully our new TE guru can get him coached up and we will see his true potential.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 10:14 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

Gotta see the team play to see how good Meyer is as a NFL coach but after the FA and that draft I expect this team to be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(05-06-2021, 10:14 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Gotta see the team play to see how good Meyer is as a NFL coach but after the FA and that draft I expect this team to be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years.

After one off season? lol.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 10:20 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(05-06-2021, 10:14 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Gotta see the team play to see how good Meyer is as a NFL coach but after the FA and that draft I expect this team to be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years.

If he does fail, I expect this team to do what they have done in the past, hang onto a bad NFL coach for 2-3 years longer than they should have. Many of us were wanting Caldwell and Marrone gone a long time ago, but Khan kept holding onto them, therefore setting the franchise back further and further. It's a pattern. Hopefully, that won't be the case here though and we will finally find some success.

I'm not expecting much after one year though. I see 5-6 wins.

(05-06-2021, 09:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:40 AM)Dimson Wrote: He is not dumb. He knows he needs scouts. He can't scout the entire league and college by himself.

Why do you assume this?'

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 04:57 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(05-06-2021, 10:15 AM)Dimson Wrote:

After one off season? lol.

Yeah, the way Baalke and Meyer do things, yes. 

Like I said, unless Meyer proves to be a great NFL HC, which I doubt, yes. I hope he quits because if he doesn't Khan could keep him for a decade, even if he doesn't win a single playoff game.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(05-06-2021, 10:20 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He didn't think he needed them this draft.

Why do you assume this?'

Almost all of his draft picks were guys he was familiar with while coaching. Most were guys he recruited. Farrell was drafted because Meyer knew him and thought he was "a nice guy." Apparently, not because of his abilities. That was a comment made by Meyer. It's pretty evident.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 10:38 AM by SamusAranX.)

(05-06-2021, 10:20 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

Why do you assume this?'

Because some here have been dead set against Meyer since the moment he was hired. Giving a coach a couple seasons or more to prove himself is so uncool ya know?