Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
4 scouts fired

(05-06-2021, 03:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:36 PM)Dimson Wrote: My bad. I forgot scouts use pro film to scout college players.

No. Scouts use game film. Not highlights. Highlights only show the good stuff.
If you can find game film on him find it. You can also get info on highlights. Like body control, hands, speed, catch radius.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-06-2021, 03:33 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:32 PM)jaglyn Wrote: You guys mad about firing scouts? Have you looked at our record during their tenure?

That is the crazy part. How have they lasted 20 years with our record? lol.

Look at it this way, either they were doing a really bad job, or those positions didn’t impact the on-field performance enough that it doesn’t matter

Wow some things never change. Get Trevor Lawrence and the usual suspects are still hand wringing and arm flailing

They probably just kept the scouts in charge of the second round lol.

The bigger question is how have they lasted this long? The team has been bad overall the last 20 years drafting. Why did they hold their jobs so long?
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(05-06-2021, 12:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not saying he took zero input from the scouts. I'm suggesting he simply disregarded much of what they said, because he already had his mind made up about guys he was familiar with.

Why did Meyer choose Etienne, Campbell and Tufele over Farrell? It's simple. Meyer knew Etienne via the college playoffs. He knew he was a far superior player. The same goes for Tyson Campbell and Jay Tufele. Both were recruited by Urban Meyer at Ohio State. He had an intimate knowledge of these guys and wanted them very much, because he knew they were good players. They just chose other schools. That's why he chose them before Farrell. He knew them all and they were simply better players. As far as Farrell, there were still two full rounds in the draft that were left and far, far, far better players at a variety of positions that were left on the board when he was taken. We already signed one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL in free agency and that was not a need at all. He certainly wasn't the BAP and it certainly wasn't a need, so Meyer took him based solely out of familiarity and that was stupid. Based on what we already had and what we needed, no scout in their right mind would've recommended taking Farrell in round 5. That was all on Meyer.

What mystifies me about your posting is that you are dead set certain that the Jags have blown every pick the last 15 years but at the same time it's a tragic mistake for Meyer to make up his own mind on draft picks rather than listen to the scouts who organised all those picks over those 15 years.  It seems that you've reached a spot where the Jags can only lose.  Unless they FA/Draft/Trade an offensive tackle.

(05-06-2021, 06:09 PM)jaglyn Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:33 PM)Dimson Wrote: That is the crazy part. How have they lasted 20 years with our record? lol.

Look at it this way, either they were doing a really bad job, or those positions didn’t impact the on-field performance enough that it doesn’t matter

Also it doesn't matter how good your scouts are if the coach/gm/executive vice president/owner fail to heed the reports produced by the scouts or set their own priorities independent of the reports. Have a feeling that's been our problem for quite a while.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 08:30 AM by Cleatwood.)

(05-06-2021, 03:06 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: HUGE difference between Trevor Lawrence and Farrell. That's like comparing prime rib to white rice. Friendship or familiarity aside, Trevor Lawrence was the undisputed first pick in this draft. It didn't matter who the head coach was gonna be. Farrell got drafted to this team based solely on Meyer's familiarity with him. He certainly wasn't the BAP at the point he was drafted and we had Manhertz in the exact same role, so blocking TE wasn't a need either. I'm just stating facts. 

The Bills interest in Farrell makes sense for them, because they are a pass heavy team and they are looking to establish the run game. They need a TE who can help out blocking on the outside, so they can finally get their rushing game where it needs to be. They don't have anyone on their roster to fill this role. We already did. It's not a matter of Farrell being the BAP at that point. He would've filled a specific need for the Bills. Nobody is saying Farrell isn't a good blocker, he is. He just didn't make sense for our specific team.
Maybe they drafted him to be our back up blocking TE? Maybe they think he will translate better to the pro game than to college? We will just have to wait and see how everything shakes out.
Good grief. A backup blocking TE?! This team is devoid of talent..... So let's make sure we lock up that backup blocking TE!

There were plenty of players with upside (which is what you are looking for in the later rounds) that could have actually made a difference still available. Shaune Wade, Brevin Jordan, Gainwell, ISM, DAVIYON NIXON, Jamar Johnson, Simi Fehoko...... If you wanted to draft a backup, why not do it at a position that's actually valuable?

Farrell was the absolute worst pick of this draft and he was likely to go undrafted. Drafting a backup blocking TE in the 5th round is terrible and there is no way to defend this. He was drafted because Urban likes him and his family personally.

Seeing a few posts assuming Urban Meyer is firing scouts with no intention of replacing them.
Interesting assumption.
Also interesting is that some of the same posters have lamented about scouts NOT being fired after Gene and/or Dave were let go.

The Jaguars. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The better question is how did they last this long? Lol

(05-07-2021, 09:00 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The better question is how did they last this long? Lol

Apparently they were really good at discovering second round talent, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-07-2021, 08:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Seeing a few posts assuming Urban Meyer is firing scouts with no intention of replacing them.
Interesting assumption.
Also interesting is that some of the same posters have lamented about scouts NOT being fired after Gene and/or Dave were let go.

The Jaguars.  Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Dave started his firing/hiring process with Gene's people immediately after the draft, just like Urban and Trent.

(05-07-2021, 09:18 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 08:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Seeing a few posts assuming Urban Meyer is firing scouts with no intention of replacing them.
Interesting assumption.

The Jaguars.  Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Dave started his firing/hiring process with Gene's people immediately after the draft, just like Urban and Trent.

They turned over less than a third of the scouting dept after Gene was fired and fans here lost their marbles that they didn't "clean house."

We've also had fans here upset that we weren't immediately clearing scouts before the '21 draft. 
And now, ironically, some of the same "fans" are complaining that we DID fire 4 scouts. 

It's hilarious to me.

I wonder if they will continue to get paychecks or if Urban "fixed the glitch".

(05-07-2021, 09:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 09:18 AM)scottyg Wrote: Dave started his firing/hiring process with Gene's people immediately after the draft, just like Urban and Trent.

They turned over less than a third of the scouting dept after Gene was fired and fans here lost their marbles that they didn't "clean house."

We've also had fans here upset that we weren't immediately clearing scouts before the '21 draft. 
And now, ironically, some of the same "fans" are complaining that we DID fire 4 scouts. 

It's hilarious to me.

It’s UMDS - Urban Meyer Derangement Syndrome. Unfortunately it’s a fact of life until he proves himself. Which is okay. Jags fans deserve to be skeptical.

(05-07-2021, 09:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 09:18 AM)scottyg Wrote: Dave started his firing/hiring process with Gene's people immediately after the draft, just like Urban and Trent.

It's hilarious to me.

I think I'm getting more entertainment value from all the griping over our 5th round draft pick.

(05-06-2021, 12:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote: UM has stated a preference for getting to know a person before he commits to them as a player.  That was clear during free agency.  He expressed dismay over not being able to talk to people before signing them.  I can't say I blame him.  He has been emphatic that we get the picks right throughout this process.  It stands to reason he would rely on his own experiences with the players in the absence of being able to interview players this offseason.

But to go the extra leap and suggest he accepted ZERO input from his scouts is too far.  UM stated he knew Farrell and his family.  Yet he didn't draft him above Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne or Tyson Campbell or even Jay Tufele.  Why not?  If it's solely about how well he knew the players through previous interactions, and nothing to do with the comparative talent between the players, why wasn't Farrell taken before these guys?

UMs own interactions might have been the tiebreaker between one candidate and the next, but I don't buy the idea he completely disregarded scouts.  He himself seemingly cringed at the idea of any schism between coaching and scouting.

I'm not saying he took zero input from the scouts. I'm suggesting he simply disregarded much of what they said, because he already had his mind made up about guys he was familiar with.

Why did Meyer choose Etienne, Campbell and Tufele over Farrell? It's simple. Meyer knew Etienne via the college playoffs. He knew he was a far superior player. The same goes for Tyson Campbell and Jay Tufele. Both were recruited by Urban Meyer at Ohio State. He had an intimate knowledge of these guys and wanted them very much, because he knew they were good players. They just chose other schools. That's why he chose them before Farrell. He knew them all and they were simply better players. As far as Farrell, there were still two full rounds in the draft that were left and far, far, far better players at a variety of positions that were left on the board when he was taken. We already signed one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL in free agency and that was not a need at all. He certainly wasn't the BAP and it certainly wasn't a need, so Meyer took him based solely out of familiarity and that was stupid. Based on what we already had and what we needed, no scout in their right mind would've recommended taking Farrell in round 5. That was all on Meyer.
 (Emphasis added)

The part in bold is confusing, because in your post before this one to which I responded, you typed this:

Quote:Almost all of his draft picks were guys he was familiar with while coaching. Most were guys he recruited. Farrell was drafted because Meyer knew him and thought he was "a nice guy." Apparently, not because of his abilities. That was a comment made by Meyer. It's pretty evident.

Why would he draft players according to their abilities before him and ignore abilities afterward?  If you are comfortable the team drafted according to abilities before the Farrell pick, why would you be uncomfortable with any of the picks made before Farrell?

Does being a good person/locker room guy factor into a team's determination as to whether a player is draftable or not?

Is it possible the team eschewed BAP and drafted for need?

Is it possible after the 4th round, UM didn't think there was anyone left with a chance of starting or upgrading a position?

Is it possible they simply ranked him incorrectly?

Is it possible you simply ranked him incorrectly?

Not trying to give you grief, just trying to understand your position.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 11:19 AM by NH3.)

These actions were written on the wall but only after the 2021 NFL Draft. It wouldn't make sense to release them beforehand.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-07-2021, 05:15 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 12:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not saying he took zero input from the scouts. I'm suggesting he simply disregarded much of what they said, because he already had his mind made up about guys he was familiar with.

What mystifies me about your posting is that you are dead set certain that the Jags have blown every pick the last 15 years but at the same time it's a tragic mistake for Meyer to make up his own mind on draft picks rather than listen to the scouts who organised all those picks over those 15 years.  It seems that you've reached a spot where the Jags can only lose.  Unless they FA/Draft/Trade an offensive tackle.

Huh? You're new here, so you don't know what I think. If you were here in 2019, I was thrilled with the Josh Allen selection. He was my #1 overall player. Last year I was overjoyed we landed DaVon Hamilton. This year I was absolutely ecstatic we landed Trevor Lawrence. I've been waiting decades for us to have a chance at getting a potential franchise QB. I don't have to like every pick the team makes. I have a problem with Meyer selecting a someone because "he's a nice guy" over being a good football player. That's what he did with Farrell. 

OT has been our biggest need outside of QB, since at least 2013. Do you blame me?

(05-07-2021, 10:07 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

(Emphasis added)

The part in bold is confusing, because in your post before this one to which I responded, you typed this:

Quote:Almost all of his draft picks were guys he was familiar with while coaching. Most were guys he recruited. Farrell was drafted because Meyer knew him and thought he was "a nice guy." Apparently, not because of his abilities. That was a comment made by Meyer. It's pretty evident.

Why would he draft players according to their abilities before him and ignore abilities afterward?  If you are comfortable the team drafted according to abilities before the Farrell pick, why would you be uncomfortable with any of the picks made before Farrell?

Does being a good person/locker room guy factor into a team's determination as to whether a player is draftable or not?

Is it possible the team eschewed BAP and drafted for need?

Is it possible after the 4th round, UM didn't think there was anyone left with a chance of starting or upgrading a position?

Is it possible they simply ranked him incorrectly?

Is it possible you simply ranked him incorrectly?

Not trying to give you grief, just trying to understand your position.

Simply put, apparently he ran out of good players he was familiar with. So rather than trust his scouts, he chose "a guy" he was familiar with, because he was a "good person."

It plays a small part whether a player is a nice guy or not.

I have no idea. Farrell was neither the BAP or a need.

If he thought that after the 4th round, he hasn't done his job correctly. We were 1-15 last season. We have a lot of bad starters that could've at least been pushed by better players. 

It is possible they ranked him incorrectly. He is a blocking TE. They should never be taken that high, especially when you already have one of the best in the NFL already on the team.

No. It is not possible I ranked him incorrectly. I watched every game he has ever played at OSU. I am very familiar with Farrell.