Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chaisson

I feel like he will surprise some this year

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1393249758509031425?s=19

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

And most of those came late in the year... he was learning. Which is what you'd like to see.

I thought he was a good pick last year, and I was surprised he made so little impact. On the other hand, it seemed like everything went wrong last year, so maybe he'll turn it on this year. I think he has the talent.

(05-14-2021, 02:20 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: And most of those came late in the year... he was learning. Which is what you'd like to see.

He was raw coming in and no traing camp.  He was starting to figure it out the last quarter of the season

Hopefully the scheme will better fit his talents. If so he could be dangerous. Hoping the better play end of last year isn't an anomaly

Coming into the draft, PFF's concern for him was short arms and lack of production. I hope the production materializes this year; we need the rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTypwBedegc

It would surprise me if Chaisson does well. I've never really been a fan. He may get lots of pressures, but he's not a finisher. Hopefully that changes, because if it doesn't, we're not gonna have much of a pass rush.

With the new scheme, I expect a big improvement from him. I'd say 8 sacks and 60 pressures.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2021, 05:35 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-14-2021, 04:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It would surprise me if Chaisson does well. I've never really been a fan. He may get lots of pressures, but he's not a finisher. Hopefully that changes, because if it doesn't, we're not gonna have much of a pass rush.

Saying you haven't been a fan holds no weight and means nothing. But to say he's not a finisher is funny when dude has played 1 season with no traing camp lol.  Do you know how many sacks Calais Campbell had his rookie year?  One has to start getting pressures before getting sacks, you dont just look at a sack number to determine if a player is making an impact.  If a player is pressuring the QB every other play but not getting any sacks give me that any day of the week.  That means he is forcing errand throws and running the QB to Josh Allen or will force the QB to step up for the interior players.  Not to mention he was pretty good against the run as well.

(05-14-2021, 05:06 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: With the new scheme, I expect a big improvement from him. I'd say 8 sacks and 60 pressures.

I can see that

I'm putting a lot of his struggles last year down to Wash and his system. Lots of players have struggled in it but do expect a jump this year. Dont really think hes a DE. We had a thing for undersized D players but it means your main weapon is speed and a smart LT will know how to play against that. 

Both Yan and Fowler struggled until we started to get pressure across the line so could get left one-on-one and use that speed more effectively.

I admit the first half of the season I believed he was hot garbage. He played much better later on in the season. Showed some good potential.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I’m rooting for the kid. Why does it look like our jerseys are women’s under slips like little house on the prairie and the numbers were hot ironed on.

Bring back the TEAL man.

(05-14-2021, 06:27 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m rooting for the kid. Why does it look like our jerseys are women’s under slips like little house on the prairie and the numbers were hot ironed on.

Bring back the TEAL man.

They did bring back the teal.

(05-14-2021, 06:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 06:27 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m rooting for the kid. Why does it look like our jerseys are women’s under slips like little house on the prairie and the numbers were hot ironed on.

Bring back the TEAL man.

Sorry, I didn’t see no teal in that pic.

(05-14-2021, 06:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Bring back the TEAL man.

The white/white jerseys looked awful. I don't mind the plain look, but you can't overload 1 color. I felt the same way with black/black. Cool one time a year, maybe, but they really look awful. I also don't understand the no trim color scheme on our numbers. I really do miss our 90s uniforms. Those things were beautiful. Every old YT vid of our games ppl always bring that up. "Why in the world did the Jags ever change the unis??"

(05-14-2021, 05:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 04:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It would surprise me if Chaisson does well. I've never really been a fan. He may get lots of pressures, but he's not a finisher. Hopefully that changes, because if it doesn't, we're not gonna have much of a pass rush.

Saying you haven't been a fan holds no weight and means nothing. But to say he's not a finisher is funny when dude has played 1 season with no traing camp lol.  Do you know how many sacks Calais Campbell had his rookie year?  One has to start getting pressures before getting sacks, you dont just look at a sack number to determine if a player is making an impact.  If a player is pressuring the QB every other play but not getting any sacks give me that any day of the week.  That means he is forcing errand throws and running the QB to Josh Allen or will force the QB to step up for the interior players.  Not to mention he was pretty good against the run as well.
There's no comparing an edge rusher like Chaisson with a 3-4 DL like Campbell.

Yes he played only one year with no camp.  But who actually had camp?  Everyone was at a disadvantage from that perspective (though admittedly rookies were impacted more because they had to learn the schemes and techniques).  This includes the guys who blocked him.

I was not a fan of the Chaisson pick either when it was made.  I am hopeful that switching to a 3-4 and having him rush from further outside in a 2 point stance will help him be more productive, but I have doubts about his overall potential as an edge rusher.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(05-14-2021, 05:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Did you know Calais Campbell started 0 games his rookie season? Apparently not. He was used very sparingly, his first season. 

You have lower standards than I do. I prefer a guy actually finish the job. Pressuring a very mobile QB can still lead to big plays by the offense. Just because he pressures a QB, that does not always lead to negative plays. A sack does always results in a negative play. Give me a "finisher" any day of the week.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2021, 10:54 PM by Eric1.)

(05-14-2021, 10:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 05:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Saying you haven't been a fan holds no weight and means nothing. But to say he's not a finisher is funny when dude has played 1 season with no traing camp lol.  Do you know how many sacks Calais Campbell had his rookie year?  One has to start getting pressures before getting sacks, you dont just look at a sack number to determine if a player is making an impact.  If a player is pressuring the QB every other play but not getting any sacks give me that any day of the week.  That means he is forcing errand throws and running the QB to Josh Allen or will force the QB to step up for the interior players.  Not to mention he was pretty good against the run as well.

Did you know Calais Campbell started 0 games his rookie season? Apparently not. He was used very sparingly, his first season. 

You have lower standards than I do. I prefer a guy actually finish the job. Pressuring a very mobile QB can still lead to big plays by the offense. Just because he pressures a QB, that does not always lead to negative plays. A sack does always results in a negative play. Give me a "finisher" any day of the week.

Pressure numbers are very telling and straight forward, where as sack numbers can be very misleading. 

I'd rather have a guy who's creating constant pressure over somebody who just cleans up and gets the sack after 2 other players pressured said QB and ran him straight into the 3rd guy who gets credited for the sack.

That's a decent but not too surprising total for me after he had his nice finish to the season. I would like to see his snap counts compared to the rest of the rookie class, or a pressure % stat. I would guess he had a significantly higher than average snap count and his pressure % is probably not as impressive as the overall number would suggest.

(05-14-2021, 10:53 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 10:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Did you know Calais Campbell started 0 games his rookie season? Apparently not. He was used very sparingly, his first season. 

Pressure numbers are very telling and straight forward, where as sack numbers can be very misleading. 

I'd rather have a guy who's creating constant pressure over somebody who just cleans up and gets the sack after 2 other players pressured said QB and ran him straight into the 3rd guy who gets credited for the sack.

I want the guy who actually finishes the play for a loss.