Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Nightmare that is Sports talk radio

I made a short trip to the corner store, and I had the misfortune of having my radio tuned to sports talk.

On the way back, I came in on a caller who was a Tebow cultist, saying how badly he wanted to see Tebow play, and that nobody could name any Jaguars TEs, and that Tebow would put butts in the seats.

This was bad enough on its face, but the call in hosts made matters far worse with his response.

He said "the Jaguars need all the help they can get because they are the worst attended team in football."

At what point does the ignorance become willful?

It took one google search, less than a minute, to find the truth of the matter, which is there is ZERO to support that contention.

Going back to 2006-the last thirteen seasons with full attendance (I excluded last year due to Covid), there was not a single year the Jaguars ranked last in attendance.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2020 

In many of those years, we were firmly in the middle of the pack.

This franchise has been far from the model franchise.  There are lots of legitimate criticisms you could level at the team.

What I HATE are the willful misrepresentations epitomized by that segment.

What I hate are holding the Jaguars to different standards by not criticizing other teams for doing the same thing the Jaguars are doing (Use of Etienne during minicamp while silent on the Steelers for using Najee Harris in the same way).

Sorry for the rant, but I had to vent.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No worries... I gave up on sports talk for lots of reasons. These industries are lazy as heck. Same thing with lazy news reporting. It is like they don't realize the world has moved on in these areas.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

They know less people are interested in hearing about the jags as opposed to teams like the chiefs cowboys etc so they dont tale the time to learn anything about the team and just go off tbe top of their head witb stuff theyve heard elsewhere. Its ignorance

I feel bad that you guys have such horrible talk shows.

The guys here on ESPN Chicago are incredible, including former Jaguars John Jurkovich

(05-16-2021, 08:49 PM)High Octane Wrote: I feel bad that you guys have such horrible talk shows.

The guys here on ESPN Chicago are incredible, including former Jaguars John Jurkovich

I miss Jurko.. That guy is awesome.. Tells it like it is..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(05-16-2021, 08:49 PM)High Octane Wrote: I feel bad that you guys have such horrible talk shows.

We have the mumbling train wreck frank frangie, the high pitched fat [BLEEP] ryan hacker, and the guy who sounds like he steps in front of every mic with a mouth full of food in Rick baloue. So yeah our radio personalities absolutely suck. Jeff prossier has grown on me a little since I drive to work at 630 everyday but even he likes to yell into the mic while everyone is still half asleep which gets old.

The only guy I would say is worth a [BLEEP] is mike Dempsey. Other than him. Our radio hosts are trash.

I don't know how anyone could listen to spots talk radio. Literally every time I change my radio channel to it they're playing endless commercials. The miraculous thing is you heard them actually talking about sports at all.

This was a national show....not local.

(05-16-2021, 08:24 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: They know less people are interested in hearing about the jags as opposed to teams like the chiefs cowboys etc so they dont tale the time to learn anything about the team and just go off tbe top of their head witb stuff theyve heard elsewhere. Its ignorance

Well, there are problems with that.

First, they hold themselves out as being knowledgeable about sports. If they hold themselves out to be knowledgeable about sports, then dammit be knowledgeable about the sports you are talking about.  Don't traffic in rumor.  Don't traffic in hearsay.  Traffic in facts. 

Secondly, it doesn't take a lot to find this information.  Again, a five second google search-two words:  "nfl attendance"- and the truth about the attendance figures was at my fingertips.  Even if you can't type and have to hunt and peck at a keyboard, it still takes a minute-tops.

(05-16-2021, 09:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:24 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: They know less people are interested in hearing about the jags as opposed to teams like the chiefs cowboys etc so they dont tale the time to learn anything about the team and just go off tbe top of their head witb stuff theyve heard elsewhere. Its ignorance

Well, there are problems with that.

First, they hold themselves out as being knowledgeable about sports. If they hold themselves out to be knowledgeable about sports, then dammit be knowledgeable about the sports you are talking about.  Don't traffic in rumor.  Don't traffic in hearsay.  Traffic in facts. 

Secondly, it doesn't take a lot to find this information.  Again, a five second google search-two words:  "nfl attendance"- and the truth about the attendance figures was at my fingertips.  Even if you can't type and have to hunt and peck at a keyboard, it still takes a minute-tops.
That’s the killer. It’s just pure laziness. I understand that maybe they don’t stay current on everything related to Jacksonville. But when you are going to take cheap shots at a team, at least make sure those are accurate.

(05-16-2021, 09:50 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 09:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Well, there are problems with that.

That’s the killer. It’s just pure laziness. I understand that maybe they don’t stay current on everything related to Jacksonville. But when you are going to take cheap shots at a team, at least make sure those are accurate.

Thank you.  It's not as if they don't have legitimate, factual basis for criticism of this organization.

For the love of God, no one is going to see Tebow sit on the bench. And I am rooting for the guy.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-16-2021, 11:57 PM)Dimson Wrote: For the love of God, no one is going to see Tebow sit on the bench. And I am rooting for the guy.

I thought that, but then spoke to a lady a few years back who said she would buy tickets to see him do just that.

(05-17-2021, 12:03 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 11:57 PM)Dimson Wrote: For the love of God, no one is going to see Tebow sit on the bench. And I am rooting for the guy.

I thought that, but then spoke to a lady a few years back who said she would buy tickets to see him do just that.

My neighbors literally said the same thing. They will buy tickets even if he doesn’t play.

(05-17-2021, 12:45 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 12:03 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I thought that, but then spoke to a lady a few years back who said she would buy tickets to see him do just that.

My neighbors literally said the same thing. They will buy tickets even if he doesn’t play.

I will believe it when I see it, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-16-2021, 09:23 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I don't know how anyone could listen to spots talk radio. Literally every time I change my radio channel to it they're playing endless commercials. The miraculous thing is you heard them actually talking about sports at all.

Ugh this... my favorite thing is when they add more ads by reading spots during the show.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Never listened to sports radio. Ever. Even when I was in a supposed good market for it in Philly.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Perhaps this is me in my "get off my lawn" phase of life, but I listen to sports talk radio because what passes for music these days is really putrid.

(05-17-2021, 07:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Perhaps this is me in my "get off my lawn" phase of life, but I listen to sports talk radio because what passes for music these days is really putrid.

Playlists.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-17-2021, 07:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Perhaps this is me in my "get off my lawn" phase of life, but I listen to sports talk radio because what passes for music these days is really putrid.
We gotta hook you up with a Spotify account my dude.