Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ProFootballTalk break down Jags roster

Apologise if already posted but only saw this yesterday. Do people agree or disagree with them? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The disparity between the way our staff seems to see our OTs and what others see is astounding.

(05-26-2021, 09:55 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Apologise if already posted but only saw this yesterday. Do people agree or disagree with them? 

You have to agree on offense.. They definitely have the ability to be in the top 1/3rd of the league on offense, but that's credited to TLaw and the possibilities that he can bring. We saw this group last season with a ho-hum QB and it was nothing special. Yes, we had flashes from some pieces, but lacking that consistency that comes with a top 1/3rd club. TLaw can push Jax into that category and even deeper into it. 

Defense is the problem. I know we had injuries last season but all teams have injuries. The key to that is depth on the rosters and in lots of cases, that's what hurt this defense. 

I hate to say that I'm already looking at next years draft when we haven't even seen this current class take the field yet, but it'll be interesting.. I'm willing to bet that we go defense heavy like we went offense heavy in this past draft..

Overall, TLaw is the key..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-26-2021, 10:15 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(05-26-2021, 09:55 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Apologise if already posted but only saw this yesterday. Do people agree or disagree with them? 

You have to agree on offense.. They definitely have the ability to be in the top 1/3rd of the league on offense, but that's credited to TLaw and the possibilities that he can bring. We saw this group last season with a ho-hum QB and it was nothing special. Yes, we had flashes from some pieces, but lacking that consistency that comes with a top 1/3rd club. TLaw can push Jax into that category and even deeper into it. 

Defense is the problem. I know we had injuries last season but all teams have injuries. The key to that is depth on the rosters and in lots of cases, that's what hurt this defense. 

I hate to say that I'm already looking at next years draft when we haven't even seen this current class take the field yet, but it'll be interesting.. I'm willing to bet that we go defense heavy like we went offense heavy in this past draft..

Regarding the defense:
I think they may have done a pretty good job of upgrading the secondary. 
And I think there may be some hope for Allen and Chaisson pass rushing from the OLB spots. 

The run defense is still a big question mark. They've got a collection of big bodies for the middle with Jack and Schobert filling gaps, but I need to see it hold a good rushing team to a respectable number before believing.

I just want a good o-line, man. I will be forever disappointed if T-Law gets ruined by too much pressure.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2021, 11:17 AM by JagFan81.)

(05-26-2021, 10:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The disparity between the way our staff seems to see our OTs and what others see is astounding.

It's true. When you look at our O line on paper they should be pretty good. Robinson and Taylor were high 2nd round picks, Norwell a big ticket FA, Linder is a solid Vet now and Caan has come on but they have really struggled at times. 

I put a bit of it down to coaching, a bit down to poor QB play that hasnt helped them but they should be able to be a solid unit.

I'm hoping Meyer can fix it but was shocked Warhop was kept on.

(05-26-2021, 10:15 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:

Yeah sadly this roster is still a draft and good FA away from being a challenger but we definitely seem to be adding solid pieces to build on like Lawrence. I thought they were a little harsh on the WR's saying 'we always have potential guys', weve not had an elite QB throwing to them and had a new OC most seasons so hard to have that stability. 

I think with D, most outside fans only started to take notice of us in 2017 with Sacksonville so compare purely to that team. We have some good young players like Allen, Henderson and I think we got better in FA but D is a real unknown until we get playing. 

I must say they have got me thinking Carlos Hyde may not have been the worst idea we had.

(05-26-2021, 10:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The disparity between the way our staff seems to see our OTs and what others see is astounding.
Simms said pretty much the same thing Meyer said about our tackles.  They have all the tools they just got to play better

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2021, 11:47 AM by JagFanFirst.)

If Walker Little can somehow get readjusted after his time off, if he can recover from his injury, he could replace Robinson, and Robinson could play RT. That would give us a very good OL.

I'm a little encouraged, because in mini-camp he wasn't even wearing a brace. He says he's completely over the injury.

(05-26-2021, 11:46 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: If Walker Little can somehow get readjusted after his time off, if he can recover from his injury, he could replace Robinson, and Robinson could play RT. That would give us a very good OL.

I'm a little encouraged, because in mini-camp he wasn't even wearing a brace. He says he's completely over the injury.

Why do you assume Cam can play the right side? He's never done it before.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-26-2021, 11:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
Simms said pretty much the same thing Meyer said about our tackles.  They have all the tools they just got to play better

He called the line "bottom third of the league."
He called Norwell and Linder the only consistent players.
Saying our tackles have the physical tools is pretty pointless if they can't get it together. Take a look at Taven Bryan, for instance.  Physically a JJ Watt clone.  On the field... ummm... different story.

(05-26-2021, 11:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
He also said Wilson is better than Lawrence so there’s that.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2021, 01:04 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-26-2021, 12:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-26-2021, 11:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Simms said pretty much the same thing Meyer said about our tackles.  They have all the tools they just got to play better

He called the line "bottom third of the league."
Saying our tackles have the physical tools is pretty pointless if they can't get it together. Take a look at Taven Bryan, for instance.  Physically a JJ Watt clone.  On the field... ummm... different story.

That's why they have to play better. They have shown flashes so they are able to they just have to be consistent

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2021, 01:43 PM by TLawIsEnforced.)

What is this "Defense" thing?
Also what does a real "Offense" look like?

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2021, 02:09 PM by ATLjag.)

Similar to how they attempted to break it down, my thoughts pre-camp on the groups compared to the league...

WR: Middle 1/3. Added a savvy proven vet in Jones to explosive Chark and healthier Shenault duo. Upside with QB play and growth.
RB: Middle 1/3. Robinson proved solid but lacked explosive ability, Etienne should deliver that component.
QB: Top 1/3. Lawrence with solid backups in Minshew and Beathard. OL just needs to protect Trevor.
TE: Bottom 1/3. Adding Manhertz, Farrell and Tebow is underwhelming.
OL: Bottom 1/3. Interior is OK, and critical tackle play needs help. Little may give upside here.

Interior DL: Bottom 1/3. Adding Brown, R-Harris, Ward and Tufele to a pitiful unit helps. Not convinced yet.
Edge: Bottom 1/3. Allen and Chaisson have potential but last year was bad. Added Smith is raw. Upside.
LB: Top 1/3. Adding Wilson and better DL in front for top performing Jack and active Schobert.
Secondary: Middle 1/3. Vastly improved with additions.

ST: Top 1/3. Adding Agnew return skills with Lambo and Cooke kicking. Adding Ford tackling assists.

I think Robinson is fine at LT. I’ve never thought our offensive line was a problem. Good QBs hush all that crap up.

(05-26-2021, 01:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-26-2021, 12:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He called the line "bottom third of the league."

That's why they have to play better.  They have shown flashes so they are able to they just have to be consistent

Are you waiting on Taven Bryan's flashes to become consistent too?  Pretty sure you hyped him as "about to break out" prior to 2020. 

I have slightly more hope in Robinson and Taylor getting their act together than I do Bryan, but the same logic and dynamic applies.  "Shown flashes but inconsistent." 

The one identifiable thing that Cam and Jawan both struggle with (getting beat by speed rushers) has actually been pretty consistently bad.

(05-26-2021, 07:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-26-2021, 01:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's why they have to play better.  They have shown flashes so they are able to they just have to be consistent

Are you waiting on Taven Bryan's flashes to become consistent too?  Pretty sure you hyped him as "about to break out" prior to 2020. 

I have slightly more hope in Robinson and Taylor getting their act together than I do Bryan, but the same logic and dynamic applies.  "Shown flashes but inconsistent." 

The one identifiable thing that Cam and Jawan both struggle with (getting beat by speed rushers) has actually been pretty consistently bad.

You keep bringing up Bryan, I wasn't a fan of the Bryan pick and still don't like the pick. I really wanted Goedert but I was hoping he could improve but he hasn't showed it yet.  Robinson and Taylor were both dominant college players that have flashed at times especially in each of their rookie years.  Cam tore his ACL and I think Taylor had some injury last year going by his play but he made no excuses.  Hopefully both come in in shape and healthy because this is likely both of their last year to prove there worth so we shall see what happens.  You might have wrote them off but I haven't yet and would give them 1 more year

Really don't like either of these dudes, but gotta say that was a pretty darn accurate quick breakdown.

(05-26-2021, 10:37 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I just want a good o-line, man. I will be forever disappointed if T-Law gets ruined by too much pressure.

I think having Robinson (RB) and ETN will help a lot, gonna keep the defense on their toes.

(05-26-2021, 02:30 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I think Robinson is fine at LT. I’ve never thought our offensive line was a problem. Good QBs hush all that crap up.

Laughing