Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Derek Landri - 1 of the best defensive playoff performances in Jags history

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2021, 03:33 PM by JagFanatic24.)

He doesn’t get talked about much, but let’s go back and take a look at one of the best defensive performances in Jaguars playoff history.

He joins the likes of 

-Tony Brackens sack,strip, fumble recovery, TD in 1999 vs Miami. All the guys went off that game.

-Aaron Beasley picking off Dan Marino twice in 1999 playoffs. He jumped started the blowout that would ensue.

-Jalen Ramsey vs the Buffalo Bills when he sealed the game with an interception. A great individual effort play.

-Clyde Simmons @ Buffalo in 1996. As a DE, He had an INT for a TD and added another 2 sacks.

- In the same game Landri had the game of his life, Rashean Mathis also had the game of his life. He picked Ben Rothlisberger off twice in back to back drives, and ran 1 back for a TD.

Now let’s look at Derek Landri. He was a 5th round draft selection out of Notre Dame. He played behind one of the best Jaguar DTs of all time in Big John Henderson. Landri was a undersized DT with a Dad-Bod, but he played with reckless abandonment. 

In the 2007 playoff game @ Pittsburgh that was dubbed Steelers Massive Comeback on Utube, Derek Landri had a game for the ages. 

Maurice Jones-Drew returned a kickoff 96 yards, MJD picked up a key block that sprung him for another 25+ yards...that key block was #66 Derek Lan. 

Big Hen pulled up with a leg injury after he sacked Rothlisberger and had to go in the locker room. In comes Landri. He was firing off the ball so hard and so quick that it appeared like he was jumping off sides. Landri made one of the most hustle plays in Jaguars history shortly after. Big Ben faked a screen pass to the left, but Landri sniffed it out so quickly that Ben had to pull it back and take off running backside to the right...Landri literally busted through the line, ran to the left and then turned and ran all that way back towards the other sideline and made the sack! Now that’s football right there boys! To this day it was the best hustle play in Jaguars history. Actually I take that back, Tony Brackens has the best hustle play vs the Falcons in 1996. Landri has the 2nd best.

Early in the 1st quarter Paul Spicer had a sack on Rothlisberger, but I sincerely think Paul was going to get tossed, but Landri is the guy that actually sacked him. They didn’t even credit Landri with a .5 sack. 

Just before halftime the Steelers were on the 30 yard line with a chance to score with :51 seconds until half. On 2nd down Big attempts to throw a middle screen because Landri was killing the Steelers up the middle, however Landri reads it and intercepts the pass. The Score was 21-7 Jags!

Fast forward to the 4th quarter the Score is 31-29 Jags. Steelers have the ball with about :29 seconds to go. They needed to get into FG range for the win. Ben dropped back and McCray stripped the ball, and guess who recovers the fumble? Yup! Derek Landri

He finished that playoff game:

Sack - 1
Int - 1 for 3 yards
FR - 1
Key Block on kickoff return - 1
Killing the Steelers interior line - all game

*note - he should have been credited with atleast a half sack on the Paul Spicer sack.

I watched the entire game last night with John Madden and Al Michaels. Treat yourself and go watch it. Landri was playing with his hair on fire.

With that said, can you guys think of any other all time great playoff performances on defense in Jags history?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

2007 Jags @ Steelers

I may have to watch this tonight after hubby goes to work. 

I can't think of any plays or games specifically right now but I will say I miss the Jags/Steelers rivalry and curse the day the NFL decided to rearrange the team conferences.

I saw “big hen” instead of ben and lost my train of thought that was funny

(06-02-2021, 05:01 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I saw “big hen” instead of ben and lost my train of thought that was funny

Big Hen is what we called DT John Henderson back in the day.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...ndJo99.htm

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2021, 08:10 PM by americus 2.0.)

Watching this game is bittersweet. Jags were such a solid team. The fact that we went 10 years before being good enough to get back in the playoffs is so frustrating. To have the refs take our SB slot away grinds my gears. #mylesjackwasntdown

Landry just got the interception and the Jags went into the half 21-7. Names like Taylor, MJD, Greg Jones, Mathis, Big Hen, Stroud, Wilford, Joey Z, Meester..... I want to stop saying "those were the days" and start saying "these are the days".

(06-02-2021, 05:01 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I saw “big hen” instead of ben and lost my train of thought that was funny

Big Hen link

Landri did play really well that game, never knew about the key block on ST's that's real intriguing, he reminded me of a slightly smaller Rob Meier. The Jags D is just so much more fun to watch when they have 2 DT's that are just black holes on the line of scrimmage every snap
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I always liked Landri, thanks for bringing this up. Good memories!
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(06-02-2021, 07:08 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Big Hen link

The guy doing the slaps is none other than our new DC, Joe Cullen, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 02:07 AM by JagFanatic24.)

That’s because you didn’t know we called him Big Hen.

(06-02-2021, 10:15 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: I always liked Landri, thanks for bringing this up. Good memories!

That makes 2 of us. He ended up in Carolina where he started 16 games and had 3 sacks. He ended his career with 9 sacks. Dude has the game of his life against Pittsburgh.

(06-02-2021, 04:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: 2007 Jags @ Steelers

I may have to watch this tonight after hubby goes to work. 

I can't think of any plays or games specifically right now but I will say I miss the Jags/Steelers rivalry and curse the day the NFL decided to rearrange the team conferences.

Man I so wish the Steelers were still in our division. Our first real Rivalry.

(06-02-2021, 08:15 PM)Firesky Wrote: Landri did play really well that game, never knew about the key block on ST's that's real intriguing, he reminded me of a slightly smaller Rob Meier. The Jags D is just so much more fun to watch when they have 2 DT's that are just black holes on the line of scrimmage every snap

What’s cool about that key block was they caught it perfectly on the sky cam or the cable cam thing. 

On the video you can go in the comments section and click on the MJD 96 yard kickoff return and see it.

(06-02-2021, 06:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Big Hen is what we called DT John Henderson back in the day.

Realizing that there are some on this board that didn't get to see him wreck shop made me feel incredibly old. (Truth hurts, mikey)

(06-03-2021, 12:13 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 07:08 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Big Hen link

The guy doing the slaps is none other than our new DC, Joe Cullen, lol.

Thats not Joe Cullen. Cullen didn't come to the Jags until 2010 the first time, the year Hen left. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Cullen..._football)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hende...ve_tackle)

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(06-03-2021, 10:08 AM)NCJag Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 12:13 AM)Dimson Wrote: The guy doing the slaps is none other than our new DC, Joe Cullen, lol.

Thats not Joe Cullen. Cullen didn't come to the Jags until 2010 the first time, the year Hen left. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Cullen..._football)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hende...ve_tackle)

I remember something in a broadcast last year mentioning that guy.  I think he went on to be an assistant coach somewhere in the league maybe?  Was the equipment guy in Jax maybe?  Sheesh,  my memory is failing me ATM.

As mean and crazy Big John was in that video, Derek Landri out played him in every aspect. John got slapped for nothing. But I still love him.

Yes...I recall Landri did have a good game that day.

I may go back and watch that game.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-03-2021, 02:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Yes...I recall Landri did have a good game that day.

I may go back and watch that game.

It’s definitely a treat. 2007 the Jags defense was dominate. Strong run game and a basketball team for WRs

(06-03-2021, 08:05 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 06:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Big Hen is what we called DT John Henderson back in the day.

Realizing that there are some on this board that didn't get to see him wreck shop made me feel incredibly old. (Truth hurts, mikey)

"He Likes It, Hey Mikey"

NH3
"AZANE"

I wanted to add Donovin Darius to the list of defensive playoff performances. He had 2 fumble recoveries in that 1999 Miami blowout. I went back and watched the full game of that 62-7 drumming.

The Jags scored 62 points as Chris Howard scored...and there was still 10 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter. The Jags could have scored 100 points that day and shattered the record. Still the most points scored in an AFC playoff game in NFL history.