Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, what's going to happen with Minshew?

From the reports I have read and heard about how Minshew has looked out on the field, he has been hands down the best looking QB out there so far this season. And if we are being honest, he had a pretty darn good year last year, considering he had no real talent to help him win games on both sides of the ball. I heard the Jags have tried shopping him around, but why would another team trade with us, if they think we will release him? Minshew probably doesn't want to be a backup QB, but I would love that scenario. Minshew has some real talent and I think could be an asset to TLaw and the Jaguars organization. What say you? What is to become of Mr. Mustache?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

'Stache + Darth Hoodie = Dynasty.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Just on experience, he would probably win the starting position in camp. But I find it always feels a little toxic to have a #1 pick behind a veteran -- everybody just wants to get on with it, and the veteran's every mistake and shortcoming gets magnified.

The best things to do are either (1) trade him and start TLaw, under the idea that playing experience is better for TLaw, because he is fairly advanced; or (2) go the Carson Palmer route and announce the plan is start Minshew the whole year and allow TLaw to develop, but it's not an open competition.

I think they'll either go with option 1, or just keep Minshew anyway. But it feels like TLaw is about as pro-ready as a rookie can be, and should be started along the lines of Peyton Manning, etc. Better to have the offense develop with his strengths and weaknesses taken into accound.

(06-03-2021, 09:45 AM)Ronster Wrote: From the reports I have read and heard about how Minshew has looked out on the field, he has been hands down the best looking QB out there so far this season. And if we are being honest, he had a pretty darn good year last year, considering he had no real talent to help him win games on both sides of the ball. I heard the Jags have tried shopping him around, but why would another team trade with us, if they think we will release him? Minshew probably doesn't want to be a backup QB, but I would love that scenario. Minshew has some real talent and I think could be an asset to TLaw and the Jaguars organization. What say you? What is to become of Mr. Mustache?

"so far this season"

It's June. 

I'd keep Minshew as the back-up and start the rookie day one with no guise of a competition throughout camp. 
If he bucks too hard at that saddle, keep exploring trade options until the right one comes along.

(06-03-2021, 10:01 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 09:45 AM)Ronster Wrote: From the reports I have read and heard about how Minshew has looked out on the field, he has been hands down the best looking QB out there so far this season. And if we are being honest, he had a pretty darn good year last year, considering he had no real talent to help him win games on both sides of the ball. I heard the Jags have tried shopping him around, but why would another team trade with us, if they think we will release him? Minshew probably doesn't want to be a backup QB, but I would love that scenario. Minshew has some real talent and I think could be an asset to TLaw and the Jaguars organization. What say you? What is to become of Mr. Mustache?

"so far this season"

It's June. 

I'd keep Minshew as the back-up and start the rookie day one with no guise of a competition throughout camp. 
If he bucks too hard at that saddle, keep exploring trade options until the right one comes along.

Then we cut CJ Beathard? I would...Why keep 3 QB's? 
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-03-2021, 10:03 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 10:01 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: "so far this season"

It's June. 

Then we cut CJ Beathard? I would...Why keep 3 QB's? 

Correct.  If it looks like a trade for Minshew isn't imminent at the day of final cuts, you cut Beathard.

I'll start by saying I don't think we'll release him, especially if he is distinguishing himself from the other QBs in practice.
I'll also say that I have yet to see anything from him in college or pros that makes me think he wouldn't want to be the backup. He's a coach's kid, had to bounce around to find his way to where he is now, and didn't seem to get riled up when benched in the past.

His social media and off-field presence is flamboyant, or maybe better said frivolous, but by no means does he conduct himself like a diva.

I think we are seeing what it looks like when he realizes that he, Luton, and Beathard are competing for what may be a single spot on the roster. I like that. If he wins that competition, why would we ship him off? Are we that desperate for a day 3 pick?

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 12:49 PM by mal234.)

I don't see the team cutting Gardner. Unless he does something bad off the field or seems really unruly in the locker room (which I don't think he would do) that wouldn't be a good decision by the Jags. They did have teams interested in trading for him, but for whatever reasons they haven't done it yet.  I had posted about the Panthers beat reporter who was at this year's draft who reported that the Panthers and Eagles were interested in obtaining Gardner. She even said the last thing she heard, was that he was probably heading to Philly. I do believe that she is a credible source.

I do think that the Jags have contemplated trading him. They signed CJ Beathard to guaranteed money, were trying to get Alex Smith to sign AND were even trying to get Jeff Driskel to meet with them. (Jeff has a history with Urban Meyer and ended up signing with the Texans.) That stuff right there indicates to me they have considered trading Gardner and that maybe they haven't valued or didn't/don't value him as much as they could. Or quite frankly should.

Maybe they have altered their thoughts/feelings on Gardner as OTAs have begun. I have seen the reports about him looking the most comfortable with receivers and having the best rhythm with them. Gardner has been working hard this offseason plus he does have more familiarity with the receivers than the other QB's do. If only, because he's been on the team longer than the other QB's and has played with them more.

I did read reports how Trevor has the strongest looking arm (which is not surprising). I also read some interesting reports that said that Jake Luton was looking better and had a good command of the field and one report that said that CJ Beathard was actually the worst looking of the four QB's. 

If that CJ appearing to be the worst QB becomes a consistent thing and/or is the consensus among the coaching staff, that might be a factor into why Gardner hasn't been traded yet. I think he would rather start than be a backup. Especially for an organization that did not provide him with much support last year and kept him benched after he was healthy and wanted to play. I do think he would take being a backup over not being on a roster, and if he stays on this team, it's because he doesn't have a choice right now. But I do think even if the Jags keep him longer/for the duration of his contract, he will leave after it's over. That is what I would do if I were him. He'll still be relatively young. He's not someone like Chase Daniels, who is more interested in getting paid than starting.

Gardner did not show up for OTA's today. The only player not to show up

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 12:51 PM by mal234.)

(06-03-2021, 12:50 PM)Ronster Wrote: Gardner did not show up for OTA's today. The only player not to show up

Interesting. Maybe he will be traded or maybe he had to miss it for some reason. Or maybe both.

I would keep him. Remember what he did when Foles gold went down. He is good insurance

(06-03-2021, 10:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 10:03 AM)Ronster Wrote: Then we cut CJ Beathard? I would...Why keep 3 QB's? 

Correct.  If it looks like a trade for Minshew isn't imminent at the day of final cuts, you cut Beathard.

Beathard isn't getting cut after they guaranteed him 2.5 Million.  You don't guarantee $$ for a camp arm.  He's on the roster, and if he isn't the back-up QB, than that's a bad look for Meyer & Co. - so that means he'll be the back-up QB, no matter that Minshew has more experience and better numbers....

He's just getting some ingrown mullet hairs removed. Nothing major he'll be back soon.

(06-03-2021, 12:52 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I would keep him. Remember  what he did when Foles gold went down. He is good insurance

I agree with you generally.  Given my preference, I would keep him here, too.

I just don't see that as a viable option.  He's had a taste of being a starter, and at least from a statistical basis, he's done well.  There was too much dysfunction going on around him for the team to win.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

If they are keeping CJ, I don't see how they can justify keeping 3 QB's

(06-03-2021, 12:57 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 10:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Correct.  If it looks like a trade for Minshew isn't imminent at the day of final cuts, you cut Beathard.

Beathard isn't getting cut after they guaranteed him 2.5 Million.  You don't guarantee $$ for a camp arm.  He's on the roster, and if he isn't the back-up QB, than that's a bad look for Meyer & Co. - so that means he'll be the back-up QB, no matter that Minshew has more experience and better numbers....

Nah.

Not buying it. 2.5 mil ain't [BLEEP] in the NFL QB world. 

If Beathard doesn't win the back-up spot I'd be perfectly OK with cutting him and his dead money.  
Bad look or not.  We've already had multiple "bad look" decisions made and it's only June.

Won't matter much if they move Minshew by August, and it seems Meyer wants to do that.

Rare agreement with FSG, New England would be a good landing spot for Minshew. If he hits the market as a backup, he'd be in the upper half at the position in the NFL. So I don't think he should be allowed to hit the market. The Jags will keep him as the backup, start him if he is the best option coming out of camp, or trade him for a worthy pick.

His chances of being cut are less than 5% as long as he stays healthy. Like NYC, I don't think the Jags will buy into the sunk cost fallacy of keeping Beathard if he's the worst QB in camp. The Jags will eat the cost and move on, as they should with anybody that can't win the job.

I'm interested to see if we carry 3 QBs, which I endorse on any team, and if so, who wins the last spot. If it's Beathard, I don't see Luton sticking to the practice squad. He won't last 2 weeks before a team claims him and signs him to their 53.

(06-03-2021, 12:57 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 10:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Correct.  If it looks like a trade for Minshew isn't imminent at the day of final cuts, you cut Beathard.

And this is where I have a problem with a coach signing players just because they have history. If CJ is not better than Gardner then we just wasted $2.5M. A drop in the bucket in the NFL to be sure, but it's still wasteful. Guaranteed money at this point is stupid when you're testing three other players for that spot, one of whom we know can do the job already.

(06-03-2021, 01:27 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Rare agreement with FSG, New England would be a good landing spot for Minshew.  If he hits the market as a backup, he'd be in the upper half at the position in the NFL.  So I don't think he should be allowed to hit the market.  The Jags will keep him as the backup, start him if he is the best option coming out of camp, or trade him for a worthy pick.

His chances of being cut are less than 5% as long as he stays healthy.  Like NYC, I don't think the Jags will buy into the sunk cost fallacy of keeping Beathard if he's the worst QB in camp.  The Jags will eat the cost and move on, as they should with anybody that can't win the job.

I'm interested to see if we carry 3 QBs, which I endorse on any team, and if so, who wins the last spot.  If it's Beathard, I don't see Luton sticking to the practice squad.  He won't last 2 weeks before a team claims him and signs him to their 53.

I don't see the good fit in New England.

They already have the veteran in Cam Newton.  There is a strong argument that he is finished, but between the Covid complications last year (both his own and league wide) and his shoulder injury, you could argue there were plenty of reasons outside of his control that caused his bad season last year.  But even if you think he's relatively done, he's a good QB to have to bring along Mac Jones more slowly, if that's what Belichick wants to do.

From Minshew's perspective, he would face pretty much the same problem in New England that he is facing here.  He's had a taste for being a starter, and all things considered he's performed well.  He's still quite young, and still under a very cheap rookie deal.  If he went to New England, it would only be a matter of time before he is replaced by a highly drafted QB.

I think better spots for him would be Washington, possibly Green Bay, possibly Pittsburgh, possibly Denver.  In Washington, he'd have to beat out Fitzpatrick, who has had something of a rebirth the past couple of seasons, but over the course of his career, he's been maddeningly inconsistent, and as apt to throw you out of a game as he would to keep you in a game.  Minshew would have more support in Washington with that strong defense, good young receiving corps and a decent OL than he had here.

In Green Bay, the Aaron Rodgers fiasco makes this possible.  If he retires, the Packers have Jordan Love waiting in the wings, but who knows if he's ready or not?  My guess is he isn't ready, otherwise the Packers would have shipped Rodgers out already the way they did Favre when Rodgers was ready to assume the starter's role.  The road would presumably be smoother for him in Pittsburgh, where Big Ben is in his last year, and the Steelers' have less at stake in their backups as the Packers do with Jordan Love.  However, the Steelers' offensive line isn't nearly what it was with three departures at C, LT and RT.  Anyone QB this team the next couple of years is going to have it rough, though they have the advantage of being in a rock solid organization.  Denver would provide Minshe2w with a decent OL and outstanding skill position support.  Does Minshew have enough to beat out Teddy Bridgewater?  Maybe.  Would Denver be willing to spend the capital to trade for him?  Doubtful.  I think if they trade for any QB, they would make a run at Aaron Rodgers.  Failing that, I believe they just try again next offseason when the Watson case should have some more clarity.

Couple of other teams:

Houston would be a good fit on some level because they are moving away from Watson, Tyrod Taylor is clearly a shorter term option, and Mills is the 3rd round rookie.  They don't have too much invested in him.  However, given the return they are likely to get for trading Watson-even at a reduced rate given his likely suspension-and the poor season they are projected to have, they may cast their lot in the draft.  Besides, Houston is a division rival.  I don't think the Jaguars would trade Minshew to a divisional rival.

Seattle:   Minshew has some roots up in Washington state having played his callege ball there, but it appears for the moment the kerfuffle involving Russell Wilson seems to have passed.  So if Minshew's goal is to be a starter, that wouldn't be the place for him, either.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-03-2021, 01:27 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Like NYC, I don't think the Jags will buy into the sunk cost fallacy of keeping Beathard if he's the worst QB in camp.  The Jags will eat the cost and move on, as they should with anybody that can't win the job.

Of course. It's only guys on message boards who become agitated when they remember we spent money or draft picks on someone who is then cut. All teams use both on busts and then move on. It's the nature of the business but you gotta keep it in at the same level as other teams.