Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, what's going to happen with Minshew?

(06-21-2021, 12:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 09:56 AM)Mikey Wrote: The rule is we shouldn't be citing the one example where a mid-20th pick of the draft not immediately replacing an obvious HOF QB to justify the notion that a top pick is your odds-on favorite to start from day one.

The rule is that more often than not, teams that are taking a QB early are doing so for a reason.

I am not dumping on Minshew; But from the owner on down, every statement this offseason has been that what we've had wasn't enough. It was time to reset, be new, improve. I'm saying that in order for Minshew starting over TLaw in week one to be plausible, TLaw is going to either have to be hurt or terribly unprepared for the job.

Teams are taking a  QB early  for a reason but it doesnt mean you have to start them week 1.  Are tou saying Mahomes, Mayfield, Tua etc. were just unprepared for the job?

Are you saying Tua was healthy enough to start week 1? With no preseason? Fresh off the injury from that LSU game? Safe to say that the approach to him starting could be characterized as "hesitant" early on. His first appearance was in a blowout win, and still didn't get a start for several weeks after that.

Mahomes was taken at 10, and like the Rodgers situation, the team had a capable starter in place and had expectations of postseason. That is textbook value pick to take care of future. There was no urgency. If Minshew plays like Alex Smith, and we are pretty certain that we have a playoff roster built, by all means, let's sit TLaw for one last dance with the Shew. I don't see that being the case, presently.

So we have Baker Mayfield, the solitary example of a team taking a QB at the top of the draft and choosing to sit him for a few weeks (The team traded for Tyrod that offseason, and Mayfield was in by week 3 due to injury). If we are basing our QB development strategy to model Hue Jackson, well, there's nothing left to say here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-22-2021, 08:45 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 12:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Teams are taking a  QB early  for a reason but it doesnt mean you have to start them week 1.  Are tou saying Mahomes, Mayfield, Tua etc. were just unprepared for the job?

Are you saying Tua was healthy enough to start week 1? With no preseason? Fresh off the injury from that LSU game? Safe to say that the approach to him starting could be characterized as "hesitant" early on. His first appearance was in a blowout win, and still didn't get a start for several weeks after that.

Mahomes was taken at 10, and like the Rodgers situation, the team had a capable starter in place and had expectations of postseason. That is textbook value pick to take care of future. There was no urgency. If Minshew plays like Alex Smith, and we are pretty certain that we have a playoff roster built, by all means, let's sit TLaw for one last dance with the Shew. I don't see that being the case, presently.

So we have Baker Mayfield, the solitary example of a team taking a QB at the top of the draft and choosing to sit him for a few weeks (The team traded for Tyrod that offseason, and Mayfield was in by week 3 due to injury). If we are basing our QB development strategy to model Hue Jackson, well, there's nothing left to say here.
Not to mention, none of the QBs listed were as NFL ready as Trevor.

It’s a moot point because Trevor will win the job easily.

(06-22-2021, 08:45 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 12:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Teams are taking a  QB early  for a reason but it doesnt mean you have to start them week 1.  Are tou saying Mahomes, Mayfield, Tua etc. were just unprepared for the job?

Well there was Jared Goff

(06-22-2021, 09:34 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 08:45 AM)Mikey Wrote: Are you saying Tua was healthy enough to start week 1? With no preseason? Fresh off the injury from that LSU game? Safe to say that the approach to him starting could be characterized as "hesitant" early on. His first appearance was in a blowout win, and still didn't get a start for several weeks after that.

Not to mention, none of the QBs listed were as NFL ready as Trevor.

It’s a moot point because Trevor will win the job easily.

I think alot of people are just really wary because well it be like the Jaguars to screw this up.

(06-22-2021, 09:41 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 08:45 AM)Mikey Wrote: Are you saying Tua was healthy enough to start week 1? With no preseason? Fresh off the injury from that LSU game? Safe to say that the approach to him starting could be characterized as "hesitant" early on. His first appearance was in a blowout win, and still didn't get a start for several weeks after that.

You owe me a monitor.
I thought we were talking about good QB

I'm excited to see how Gardner mentors TLaw in the weight room so we can haz Gaaaaiiinnnnnzzzzzzzzz.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-22-2021, 09:41 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:

He makes an excuse for every player named.

accuttly he  will evententtly go to another team,and get a super bowl ring just like other past jags players who left team,and got themselves a super bowl ring.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

I beleiebe dis to be da troof
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Hairs the thang do Sssskeeyup

(06-26-2021, 01:43 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: accuttly he  will evententtly go to another team,and get a super bowl ring just like other past jags players who left team,and got themselves a super bowl ring.

Like Marcedes did, like MJD did, like Fred Taylor did, right?

(06-22-2021, 01:49 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm excited to see how Gardner mentors TLaw in the weight room so we can haz Gaaaaiiinnnnnzzzzzzzzz.

Mrs. Lawrence has been quoted as saying that Trevor has only been wearing a jock strap and aviators around the house recently
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(07-02-2021, 12:05 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 01:49 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm excited to see how Gardner mentors TLaw in the weight room so we can haz Gaaaaiiinnnnnzzzzzzzzz.

Mrs. Lawrence has been quoted as saying that Trevor has only been wearing a jock strap and aviators around the house recently

They are newlyweds, what do you expect?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(07-02-2021, 01:57 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(07-02-2021, 12:05 PM)Firesky Wrote: Mrs. Lawrence has been quoted as saying that Trevor has only been wearing a jock strap and aviators around the house recently

They are newlyweds, what do you expect?

Forgot to mention the headband.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I see the Beathard-singning as an insurance policy with the expectation of trading Minshew. That may still happen. The other issue I haven't seen addressed in this thread is our OTs. I am surprised the Jags did not improve these positions aside from drafting Walker Little. The question is whether the franchise is willing to send their future out behind Cam Robinson and Jawaan Taylor who was ranked amongst the lowest OTs last season. I can see Meyer sending Minshew out on the field the first few games, just to see if the OL can keep Trevor safe. Nothing would hamper this organization more than a stupid injury to Trevor in the first few games due to the OL making a mess.

As for trading Minshew, I am surprised Atlanta has not been mentioned. Matt Ryan is getting up there, and they might be looking for someone to replace him in a year or two. It would allow Minshew to learn behind a veteran and take over when the time is right.

(07-03-2021, 04:33 PM)Norseman Wrote: I see the Beathard-singning as an insurance policy with the expectation of trading Minshew. That may still happen. The other issue I haven't seen addressed in this thread is our OTs. I am surprised the Jags did not improve these positions aside from drafting Walker Little. The question is whether the franchise is willing to send their future out behind Cam Robinson and Jawaan Taylor who was ranked amongst the lowest OTs last season. I can see Meyer sending Minshew out on the field the first few games, just to see if the OL can keep Trevor safe. Nothing would hamper this organization more than a stupid injury to Trevor in the first few games due to the OL making a mess.

As for trading Minshew, I am surprised Atlanta has not been mentioned. Matt Ryan is getting up there, and they might be looking for someone to replace him in a year or two. It would allow Minshew to learn behind a veteran and take over when the time is right.

You seem to be under the impression that anybody at all within the league considers Minshew a long-term starting solution at the QB position.  His ceiling is likely a very good backup.

I tend to agree. I think some of us are such big Minshew fans and might overestimate how good he is compared the rest of the league. That being said, he played good in his rookie season for sure, and last year it was nearly impossible for anyone to play well under the circumstances.

(07-03-2021, 07:31 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(07-03-2021, 04:33 PM)Norseman Wrote: I see the Beathard-singning as an insurance policy with the expectation of trading Minshew. That may still happen. The other issue I haven't seen addressed in this thread is our OTs. I am surprised the Jags did not improve these positions aside from drafting Walker Little. The question is whether the franchise is willing to send their future out behind Cam Robinson and Jawaan Taylor who was ranked amongst the lowest OTs last season. I can see Meyer sending Minshew out on the field the first few games, just to see if the OL can keep Trevor safe. Nothing would hamper this organization more than a stupid injury to Trevor in the first few games due to the OL making a mess.

You seem to be under the impression that anybody at all within the league considers Minshew a long-term starting solution at the QB position.  His ceiling is likely a very good backup.

I think he showed enough during his rookie campaign to warrant a shot. Six Rookie of the Week awards should have been enough to give him Rookie of the Year Award, but being a Jag and a 6th round pick. Last year he was shafted as management decided to tank the season and placed him in a situation where it was impossible to win. I may very well be wrong, but I think he showed enough during his rookie campaign to earn a shot somewhere.

Unsure why people are hating on Minshew. I'd rather have Lawrence for sure as he is a future hall of famer if the hype is right, but Minshew has played well so far. He even played well last year with the crappy team that we had.

(07-06-2021, 07:53 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: Unsure why people are hating on Minshew. I'd rather have Lawrence for sure as he is a future hall of famer if the hype is right, but Minshew has played well so far. He even played well last year with the crappy team that we had.

No, he didn't. He was good vs the Colts week 1 and decent in week 2, that's it.

I kinda like him, I wouldn't trade him but he is not a starter right now. Maybe one day, with good coaching, he can be a starter.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23