Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, what's going to happen with Minshew?

(06-03-2021, 02:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 01:27 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Rare agreement with FSG, New England would be a good landing spot for Minshew.  If he hits the market as a backup, he'd be in the upper half at the position in the NFL.  So I don't think he should be allowed to hit the market.  The Jags will keep him as the backup, start him if he is the best option coming out of camp, or trade him for a worthy pick.

His chances of being cut are less than 5% as long as he stays healthy.  Like NYC, I don't think the Jags will buy into the sunk cost fallacy of keeping Beathard if he's the worst QB in camp.  The Jags will eat the cost and move on, as they should with anybody that can't win the job.

I'm interested to see if we carry 3 QBs, which I endorse on any team, and if so, who wins the last spot.  If it's Beathard, I don't see Luton sticking to the practice squad.  He won't last 2 weeks before a team claims him and signs him to their 53.

I don't see the good fit in New England.

They already have the veteran in Cam Newton.  There is a strong argument that he is finished, but between the Covid complications last year (both his own and league wide) and his shoulder injury, you could argue there were plenty of reasons outside of his control that caused his bad season last year.  But even if you think he's relatively done, he's a good QB to have to bring along Mac Jones more slowly, if that's what Belichick wants to do.

From Minshew's perspective, he would face pretty much the same problem in New England that he is facing here.  He's had a taste for being a starter, and all things considered he's performed well.  He's still quite young, and still under a very cheap rookie deal.  If he went to New England, it would only be a matter of time before he is replaced by a highly drafted QB.

I think better spots for him would be Washington, possibly Green Bay, possibly Pittsburgh, possibly Denver.  In Washington, he'd have to beat out Fitzpatrick, who has had something of a rebirth the past couple of seasons, but over the course of his career, he's been maddeningly inconsistent, and as apt to throw you out of a game as he would to keep you in a game.  Minshew would have more support in Washington with that strong defense, good young receiving corps and a decent OL than he had here.

In Green Bay, the Aaron Rodgers fiasco makes this possible.  If he retires, the Packers have Jordan Love waiting in the wings, but who knows if he's ready or not?  My guess is he isn't ready, otherwise the Packers would have shipped Rodgers out already the way they did Favre when Rodgers was ready to assume the starter's role.  The road would presumably be smoother for him in Pittsburgh, where Big Ben is in his last year, and the Steelers' have less at stake in their backups as the Packers do with Jordan Love.  However, the Steelers' offensive line isn't nearly what it was with three departures at C, LT and RT.  Anyone QB this team the next couple of years is going to have it rough, though they have the advantage of being in a rock solid organization.  Denver would provide Minshe2w with a decent OL and outstanding skill position support.  Does Minshew have enough to beat out Teddy Bridgewater?  Maybe.  Would Denver be willing to spend the capital to trade for him?  Doubtful.  I think if they trade for any QB, they would make a run at Aaron Rodgers.  Failing that, I believe they just try again next offseason when the Watson case should have some more clarity.

Couple of other teams:

Houston would be a good fit on some level because they are moving away from Watson, Tyrod Taylor is clearly a shorter term option, and Mills is the 3rd round rookie.  They don't have too much invested in him.  However, given the return they are likely to get for trading Watson-even at a reduced rate given his likely suspension-and the poor season they are projected to have, they may cast their lot in the draft.  Besides, Houston is a division rival.  I don't think the Jaguars would trade Minshew to a divisional rival.

Seattle:   Minshew has some roots up in Washington state having played his callege ball there, but it appears for the moment the kerfuffle involving Russell Wilson seems to have passed.  So if Minshew's goal is to be a starter, that wouldn't be the place for him, either.

I think all those teams would be good fits, but I just don't see any of them offering a 3rd round pick for him in a trade. Maybe conditional, like 5th round, becomes 4th with number of starts and 3rd with more starts.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So, what's going to happen with Minshew? - by rpr52121 - 06-03-2021, 02:34 PM