Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, what's going to happen with Minshew?

(06-15-2021, 03:57 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 02:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The next bit moves to conflate Lawrence's development with Minshew's trade value and assumes a different (but lesser??) QB would somehow benefit him more. 

It's a fail at both turns. 
A - Prioritizing development over winning is completely unnecessary in the Jaguars situation.
B - Minshew's trade value will determine whether or not he stays or goes - Not prioritizing Lawrence's development. Every player has a price, and if they are offered enough for Minshew, they'll take it. 

You also seem to be operating under the assumption that Minshew is a bad fit to aid in Lawrence's development. I don't know how we would know that to be true either.

For A, can you explain how you are saying they can do both in current Jags situation? I just don't understand that argument.

For B, I would say the new coaching staff/FO seems to have said that Minshew is abad fit for Lawrence's development or else why sign Beathard to such guaranteed deal? If they were that sold on Minshew being here and being a good fit for Lawrence's development, that deal makes no sense.

Also, I know that I definitely don't know clearly what it really takes to develop a QB or what goes on in those meetings/behind the scenes. That is probably true for most fans.

Just because Minshew has shown some flashes on practice field and his first few games with people vouching for his mind to grasping gameplans, doesn't meant he would fit to be able help another QB supplant him, or that he would want to at this point in his career. I know he was eyeing becoming a coach before going to Leach at WSU, but I haven't heard him already getting experience with that since his career skyrocketed after that.

Bethard and Baalke are tied from the niners. Beathard's deal isn't so large that it prevents him being cut. 2.75 mil guaranteed is nothing in today's NFL spending. 

The Jags best chances to win games this year are 99.9999% certain to come with Lawrence at QB.  Is there a better way to develop the hottest prospect in a decade than to put him on the field? If he gets hurt (knocking on all the wood everything) then how is having the best available backup QB to replace him going to hinder his development?  What aspect of developing Lawrence would be in danger by simply keeping whomever the 2nd best QB is as his primary backup? 

I'm sure Minshew is unhappy about losing his starting role. Assuming that will make him have bad chemistry with Lawrence is a leap I'm not going to take, personally. These young men have spent several years at this point in locker rooms that see various starters become back-ups many times each season. This dynamic is not new to them and many of them  have learned to handle it gracefully. 

Personally, I don't really care who the backup is, but I clearly really want them to choose one that gives them the best chance to win. Not one they think may not be the best but has chemistry with Lawrence. Lawrence doesn't need a friendly stablemate. He can do fine with a competitive natured backup IMO. There's also this quote from Urban this week:

"Whoever is going to be on that field is going to give us the best chance to win," he said. "Ultimately, I've got to make a decision on the guy who's going to help us win. That's a daily conversation as well."

Messages In This Thread
RE: So, what's going to happen with Minshew? - by NYC4jags - 06-15-2021, 04:32 PM