Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Your Unexpected Contributors

Ross Matiscik

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Luke Farrel

He has the size and ability, was just under used in college. I think he will be a nice surprise

(06-05-2021, 05:10 PM)Maryland jagsfan89 Wrote: Collin johnson. I think he ends up the best wr on the team .

Now this is a take. Would be amazing if he was—well, either every receiver took a step back or he took a gigantic step forward. I hope it’s the latter

Ill give 2 for offense and 2 for defense.

Of corse health plays a big factor but i say

Offense: Both tackles, Cam and Jawaan
Defense: Chaisson and Hendersom

I really feel like Taylor had a nagging injury last year that affected his play that he played through, disnt make excuses and it costed his team like Gadner had. I also think they didnt get pushed hard enough like Urban will. Meyer has already called both out publicly the day he took the job that thr tackles need to play better and i think they will.

(06-05-2021, 09:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 08:28 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: I wasnt a big fan of the Schobert signing and he struggled at times last season but with a new DC and system, and a better D around him, he has everything he needs to be better this season

I agree. Schobert passes the eye test. He reminds me a little of Poz, but he seemed somewhat overwhelmed at times. I don’t know if that was the system/team or he was hitting his limits. Hopefully this is a breakout season for him.

I'm glad someone else saw this. Just a hint but enough to think of Poz when watching him. I miss Poz.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 08:46 AM by Mikey.)

(06-04-2021, 08:01 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: Who do you think will be underrated and unexpected contributors this season. I think we all assume the usual suspects like Chark, Jack, or Shaq Griffin to be big time players. But are there any players you feel will play a bigger role than expected. I have two guys I think will surprise

1. Daniel Thomas 
Made some big plays last year and has great measurabled
2. Doug Costin
Shouldn’t be too surprising considering he was playing well last year before injury but I think he’ll have a big year

I am intrigued by Jamal Agnew. The team signed him to a pretty lucrative contract early in FA, considering that he's a converted DB to WR and primarily used in the return game. I have a feeling he and Shenault are going to be battling out for the 'gadget play' role, and he may have an edge based on his familiarity with Bevell and his playbook.

Now hopefully the D forces a lot of punts so we can see why we  brought him in.

(06-05-2021, 05:10 PM)Maryland jagsfan89 Wrote: Collin johnson. I think he ends up the best wr on the team .

Yeah, I kind of look for he and Jones' biggest contribution to be drawing away some of the attention off of Chark.

Look to them two to be our 'move the chains' guys to keep drives moving down the field.

(06-06-2021, 10:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 09:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I agree. Schobert passes the eye test. He reminds me a little of Poz, but he seemed somewhat overwhelmed at times. I don’t know if that was the system/team or he was hitting his limits. Hopefully this is a breakout season for him.

I'm glad someone else saw this. Just a hint but enough to think of Poz when watching him. I miss Poz.

Schobert was a tackling machine in CLE. I think if we rely on him to be the guy to hold the point rather than drop into coverages the D will benefit.

I believe Schobert has a neck, that is a big difference between he and Poz Smile

(06-06-2021, 10:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 09:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I agree. Schobert passes the eye test. He reminds me a little of Poz, but he seemed somewhat overwhelmed at times. I don’t know if that was the system/team or he was hitting his limits. Hopefully this is a breakout season for him.

I do too. What's heartbreaking is he wasn't ready to retire. On 1010XL someone talked about seeing him the year after he left and asked how he was enjoying retirement. 

"It sucks."

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 08:59 AM by The Real Marty.)

(06-07-2021, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 10:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm glad someone else saw this. Just a hint but enough to think of Poz when watching him. I miss Poz.

I do too. What's heartbreaking is he wasn't ready to retire. On 1010XL someone talked about seeing him the year after he left and asked how he was enjoying retirement. 

"It sucks."

Poz was one of the most underappreciated Jaguar players of all time.  He was one of the best run defenders we've ever had.   He took great angles, and didn't miss tackles.  He was also a great leader of the defense.   No, he wasn't Ray Lewis, but there are very few of those.

(06-07-2021, 08:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I do too. What's heartbreaking is he wasn't ready to retire. On 1010XL someone talked about seeing him the year after he left and asked how he was enjoying retirement. 

"It sucks."

Poz was one of the most underappreciated Jaguar players of all time.  He was one of the best run defenders we've ever had.   He took great angles, and didn't miss tackles.  He was also a great leader of the defense.   No, he wasn't Ray Lewis, but there are very few of those.

Exactly. Guy was all heart. I'll never forget when we were playing @Denver and they had Manning and the great O and we were in full rebuild mode. People were saying we would lose by 50+.

I'll never forget Poz picking off Manning and taking it all the way back and putting us down by 2. You could hear the 'experts' jaws dropping around the country

(06-07-2021, 08:48 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 10:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm glad someone else saw this. Just a hint but enough to think of Poz when watching him. I miss Poz.

Schobert was a tackling machine in CLE. I think if we rely on him to be the guy to hold the point rather than drop into coverages the D will benefit.

I believe Schobert has a neck, that is a big difference between he and Poz Smile

Schobert was a tackling machine for us too, 4th in the league if you believe the official scoring. The problem is that most of those tackles were too far down the field. Which actually is a lot like Poz that was his problem later in his career too.

James O' Shaughnessy.

(06-07-2021, 09:46 AM)Upper Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 08:48 AM)Mikey Wrote: Schobert was a tackling machine in CLE. I think if we rely on him to be the guy to hold the point rather than drop into coverages the D will benefit.

Schobert was a tackling machine for us too, 4th in the league if you believe the official scoring. The problem is that most of those tackles were too far down the field. Which actually is a lot like Poz that was his problem later in his career too.

That was the same thing said about Daryl Smith and Mike Peterson.

Apparently at every single generation of Jags football it was the Linebackers fault.

BS. People just blindly believe PFF without actually watching.

Why wouldn't Schobert be a tackling machine when the d-line refused to stop the run? Someone's gotta stop the other team right?

(06-07-2021, 01:53 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:46 AM)Upper Wrote: Schobert was a tackling machine for us too, 4th in the league if you believe the official scoring. The problem is that most of those tackles were too far down the field. Which actually is a lot like Poz that was his problem later in his career too.

That was the same thing said about Daryl Smith and Mike Peterson.

Apparently at every single generation of Jags football it was the Linebackers fault.

BS. People just blindly believe PFF without actually watching.

Who said anything about PFF?

(06-07-2021, 02:12 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:  Someone's gotta stop the other team right?

Based on last year's results the answer is "no".
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-07-2021, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

"It sucks."

Sometimes the body is ready before the mind is.

I think he hung em up at the right time, even if it sucked in the short term. He was starting to show his age, and he'll probably be able to walk or remember his grandkids' names thanks to not hanging on longer than he should have.

(06-07-2021, 03:00 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I do too. What's heartbreaking is he wasn't ready to retire. On 1010XL someone talked about seeing him the year after he left and asked how he was enjoying retirement. 

"It sucks."

Sometimes the body is ready before the mind is.

I think he hung em up at the right time, even if it sucked in the short term. He was starting to show his age, and he'll probably be able to walk or remember his grandkids' names thanks to not hanging on longer than he should have.

But we should have cloned him first!  Smile

Jamal Agnew, I think he adds a dynamic to our return game that has been missing for several years and we "thought" we had in Jaydon Mickens back in 2017.

On Offense I think it's Chris Manhertz, his blocking will fill the void that's been here since Lewis was unceremoniously let go and I think he'll make a few key catches/contributions downfield at key times but won't put up gaudy numbers.

On Defense, It's not really unexpected given their draft status, but CJ Henderson ... this board sleeps on him like it's no one's business and I think he's in for a pretty good season.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(06-04-2021, 08:01 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: Who do you think will be underrated and unexpected contributors this season. I think we all assume the usual suspects like Chark, Jack, or Shaq Griffin to be big time players. But are there any players you feel will play a bigger role than expected. I have two guys I think will surprise

1. Daniel Thomas 
Made some big plays last year and has great measurabled
2. Doug Costin
Shouldn’t be too surprising considering he was playing well last year before injury but I think he’ll have a big year

Supposedly, he (D. Thomas) had the first pick of TL today.  He gave us some good snaps last year.  Hopefully someone will step up at S this year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!