Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Julio to the tacks

I’m not worried about Julio Jones, I just hope they can stop Derek Henry. Seems like he always gets a 90+ yard run everytime he faces the Jags.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-07-2021, 12:05 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m not worried about Julio Jones, I just hope they can stop Derek Henry. Seems like he always gets a 90+ yard run everytime he faces the Jags.

Well guess what adding one of the most elite WRs to an offense that already had one of the most elite WRs does...

(06-07-2021, 01:07 PM)Upper Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 12:05 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m not worried about Julio Jones, I just hope they can stop Derek Henry. Seems like he always gets a 90+ yard run everytime he faces the Jags.

Well guess what adding one of the most elite WRs to an offense that already had one of the most elite WRs does...

I think it was a good move by the Tacks because they are in win-now mode. That said, I agree with other posters who said it bodes well for the Jaguars long-term. I think the Jaguars will contend for the division title in 2022. By then, Julio and Henry will hopefully be past their primes yet continuing to tie up a lot of cap space.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Julio definitely makes their offense more dynamic.

But I still think they have added a lot of new pieces on defense and it is questionable if they will all pan out. Additionally, their 2021 schedule is much more difficult than 2020.

Definitely division favorite, but I still think they have ceiling in the playoffs.

The Titans will go as Henry goes. Henry has had a kot of luck staying healthy. If for what ever reason he gets hurt the Titans will fall

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 03:12 PM by Mikey.)

(06-07-2021, 09:44 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:32 AM)Mikey Wrote: Ding, ding!

They have a new OC, no idea if the new guy is going to be as run heavy or not, or if it's just going to be the same system with a new guy calling the plays. If they want to throw a second at a guy in the twilight of his career, let em. If they want to overpay a middling QB, let em.

I don't see this move giving them any better shot at a Championship, honestly.
I still think KC and Buffalo are the best in the AFC but this clearly puts the tacks closer to them than they were before. They're adding a top 5 WR of all time with juice still in the tank.

They are going to be really hard to defend. I think what may hold them back is having a new OC who (in his first year) has to find a way to get his 3 studs the rock.

Top 5 of all time might be a bit generous on your part. Time will tell how much he still has in the tank.

For as good as he was, ATL has diddly-poo to show for his time there, unless you want to allege that he and Ryan are responsible for the team building the giant sphincterdome.

(06-07-2021, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 05:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: A 2nd round pick, and a $15 million salary, for a 32 year old oft-injured player.   Our championship is not this year; it'll be 2022 at the soonest.   I do not feel threatened by this move.  On the contrary, I think it helps move them out of our way.

By the time we're ready to contend, he'll be gone, and the Titans will have less money to spend and no second round pick.

You're dramatically overestimating how much a second round pick hurts them long term. Also, Julio's contract has a buyout for a measly $2M after this year and then zero dead cap in 2 years. Their cap isn't hurt by getting Julio in the least. The Titans got massively better in the short term and barely worse in the long term.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the teams to beat in the AFC are concerned, y'all are sleeping on the Dolphins. I think they might have the best overall roster in the AFC now. If Tua takes a big step forward, and I don't really think he will I'm not a fan, they'll be in the conversation for teams to beat after the Chiefs.

....so what you're saying is they traded a second for a guy who's gonna want a new deal next year?   Wink

(06-07-2021, 01:07 PM)Upper Wrote:

like when ATL darfted Calvin Ridley?

how many of us assumed that offense would become unstoppable?

Or Hopkins to AZ? didn't even make the playoffs.

They have a new OC, no idea if the new guy is going to be as run heavy or not, or if it's just going to be the same system with a new guy calling the plays. If they want to throw a second at a guy in the twilight of his career, let em. If they want to overpay a middling QB, let em.

I still think KC and Buffalo are the best in the AFC but this clearly puts the tacks closer to them than they were before. They're adding a top 5 WR of all time with juice still in the tank.

They are going to be really hard to defend. I think what may hold them back is having a new OC who (in his first year) has to find a way to get his 3 studs the rock.

Top 5 of all time?

LOL

He is currently 20th on all time receiving and he is playing in one of the most prolific era's to pass and catch.

He's good, and it will benefit the Titans, but sheesh. Hot take right there

(06-07-2021, 04:17 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:44 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I still think KC and Buffalo are the best in the AFC but this clearly puts the tacks closer to them than they were before. They're adding a top 5 WR of all time with juice still in the tank.

Top 5 of all time?

LOL

He is currently 20th on all time receiving and he is playing in one of the most prolific era's to pass and catch.

I actually don’t think it’s that hot of a take.

From a pure football standpoint, he can literally do everything and run every route. 

I think Moss, Rice,and Calvin are top 3. Then I think I may put Julio 4 or 5 with Larry Fitz. These are guys you just can’t replicate. I mean Julio averages the highest yards per game in NFL history.

Go look at the guys ahead of Julio and tell me who you would choose. Boldin, Largent (very underrated), Reed, Ellard, Holt, Carter, Lofton,  Wayne, Andre, Marvin, Steve Smith, Brown and Bruce. All WRs currently ahead of him.

When his career is over, he will likely be top 5 in receiving yards.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 07:53 PM by CTEisREAL.)

(06-07-2021, 03:19 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 01:07 PM)Upper Wrote: Well guess what adding one of the most elite WRs to an offense that already had one of the most elite WRs does...

like when ATL darfted Calvin Ridley?

how many of us assumed that offense would become unstoppable?

Or Hopkins to AZ? didn't even make the playoffs.

Should I remind you TN made the playoffs three straight years without Jones.  I think you need Windex on your glass eyes.  If Julio stays healthy TN is likely a SB team.  Henry against 6 and 7 man boxes is scary.  
[Image: E3OGTQMWUAQ6Wjh?format=jpg&name=medium]
[Image: E3SURCBXEAAdC_4?format=jpg&name=medium]

The Titans faced 8 man boxes 23.1% last year. That's tops in the NFL. The Falcons faced 8 man box 12.5% (16th). That's going to be a huge uptick in 1 on 1 coverage. Translation: Brown and Jones should eat! No one in the AFC has the CB package to stop these two WR when 22 is running the ball.

Tannehill has better stats than Mahomes in the last 24 games without Jones. The AFC South just got a lot tougher to deal with. TN D is also a ton better. Their pass rush and secondary was completely rebuilt. That is how a competent GM operates.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

Julio Jones & A.J. Brown
First 2 NFL Seasons:
Jones Brown
Seasons 2011-12 2019-20
Receptions 133 122
Receiving Yds 2,157 2,126
Receiving TD 18 19

TN already has a Julio Jones. Now they have two of them.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(06-07-2021, 07:14 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 04:17 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Top 5 of all time?

LOL

From a pure football standpoint, he can literally do everything and run every route. 

I think Moss, Rice,and Calvin are top 3. Then I think I may put Julio 4 or 5 with Larry Fitz. These are guys you just can’t replicate. I mean Julio averages the highest yards per game in NFL history.

Go look at the guys ahead of Julio and tell me who you would choose. Boldin, Largent (very underrated), Reed, Ellard, Holt, Carter, Lofton,  Wayne, Andre, Marvin, Steve Smith, Brown and Bruce. All WRs currently ahead of him.

Rice, Moss and Terrell Owens are the top 3 WRs in NFL history. I'd put Fitz #4 and then you could start splitting hairs between some guys after that imo.

T.O. might have been a diva and a bit of a head ache at times, but I think people forget about how great he really was on the field, simply because of some of the other noise that followed him around.

(06-07-2021, 09:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 07:14 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I actually don’t think it’s that hot of a take.

Rice, Moss and Terrell Owens are the top 3 WRs in NFL history. I'd put Fitz #4 and then you could start splitting hairs between some guys after that imo.

T.O. might have been a diva and a bit of a head ache at times, but I think people forget about how great he really was on the field, simply because of some of the other noise that followed him around.
No doubt. TO was fantastic.

Lol

(06-07-2021, 07:14 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 04:17 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Top 5 of all time?

LOL

It's telling that outside of Largent and Lofton, I don't think anyone in your list played before 1980.

There's some greats out there that you missed, guys like Lance Alworth, Michael Irvin, Swann/Stallworth, Paul Warfield, etc. Rules changes have made playing receiver so much easier in today's game. You take some of those elite WR from the 60's and 70's and put them in today's game? Hoo boy they would have flourished so much more

And I don't care what you say, I'm putting Andre Johnson up there, too, if only for the way he handled Finnegan.

(06-08-2021, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 07:14 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I actually don’t think it’s that hot of a take.

It's telling that outside of Largent and Lofton, I don't think anyone in your list played before 1980.

There's some greats out there that you missed, guys like Lance Alworth, Michael Irvin, Swann/Stallworth, Paul Warfield, etc. Rules changes have made playing receiver so much easier in today's game. You take some of those elite WR from the 60's and 70's and put them in today's game? Hoo boy they would have flourished so much more

And I don't care what you say, I'm putting Andre Johnson up there, too, if only for the way he handled Finnegan.
The list was basically guys ahead of Julio on the all time receiving yards list.

I 100% agree. It's pretty hard to compare eras but I think Julio would be just as dominant in the 70s and 80s. Now that there's 17 games, stats are going to be even more skewed.

It's really just personal preference. You can make a case for a lot of receivers in the top 10 and I wouldn't bat an eye at it.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2021, 10:09 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Julio is a great WR and has had a great career but he doesnt have a nose for the endzone. Antonio Brown is up there. TO is top 3 though without a doubt and my favorite

TO has almost 100 more TDs than Jones lol. Its not that close between those 2

Marvin Jones who came out 1 year after Juluo has only 9 less TDs than Julio. Its possible he finishes his career with more TDs than Julio if Marvin and TLaw find a good connection

(06-08-2021, 10:23 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Marvin Jones who came out 1 year after Juluo has only 9 less TDs than Julio.  Its possible he finishes his career with more TDs than Julio if Marvin and TLaw find a good connection
This is irrelevant. Does this mean Marvin Jones could be better than Jimmy Smith? or that Hines Ward is better than Calvin Johnson?

Again. It's mostly personal preference but if I was starting from scratch and could pick any WR of all time for my team, Julio would be extremely high on my list.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2021, 10:59 AM by JagFanatic24.)

(06-06-2021, 06:36 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 04:03 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Yeah except he isn’t the difference maker. We weren’t going to be much of a challenger to them even with out Julio. We are certainly improving this year but most rational jags fan knew this isn’t an overnight transformation. We just offloaded most of our veteran roster last season and have a litany of young players we need to develop. They can overspend all they want.  But it isn’t to win the division, they had that in bag already. 

They still have no shot vs Baltimore or KC(and that is just to get through the AFCCG).  

Adding an over priced washed up receiver isn’t going to put them over the edge. Plus a second is overpriced.

If they wanted to turn some heads, go get Rodgers... lol Julio isn’t scaring anyone.

Julio was well on his way to 1300+ yards and 7+ TD last year before he missed time. You call that washed up, but I think all of us would take that kind of production here. We've only had two 1k+ yard receivers since 2005...

He doesn't have to be the main man anymore either because now he gets to play with another good up and coming WR in AJ Brown. They'll get plenty of single coverage as well because Henry will eat teams up running the ball if they keep Safeties deep.

Hurns
Arob 
Chark

We’ve had 3 since 2005.