Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What realistic record do the Jags need to have to be classified as Successful?

I think they'll win 3-6 games. With a lot of luck and great health I think the ceiling is 8 wins with a low of 2-3 games.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don’t know that the Jags were as bad as their record suggests last year. I’m not suggesting we were good, but we lost 6 one possession games and 4 of those were by a FG or less. Compared to the Jets who had 3 of their losses as one possession games, 2 of which were by a FG or less.

Something is probably wrong (i.e major injury to key player(s)) if we don’t win 6 games this year and if Trevor is as good as advertised and ready then we should probably top that.

We really did steal Trevor from the Jets though.

I’m going 9-8

What would be acceptable is obvious improvement

The record could be a number of things, but if it looks like the new QB is legit, the run D gets better, and a couple of picks show promise, it was a successful offseason.

I’d like to think that will equate to at least 7 wins, but lots of ways it could shake out in the end

(06-07-2021, 05:33 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 04:22 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: There are at least three teams  in recent history who went from bottom of the barrel  to playoff contenders that are similar to us this year; 2007 dolphins (1-15 to playoffs in 2008), 2007 falcons (4-12 to playoffs in 2008), and the Clots in 2011 (2-14 to playoffs in 2012).

That's the high ceiling, but i think success would be around the new .500 (8-9 or 9-8).

Realistically, though, we are looking at a 4 or 5 win year. Patience. I just want to see positives from Trevor Lawrence.

lol, as Jaguar fans we have been abused so much that we would be happy with 4-5 wins... tragic

...or we are mature enough to know this year's record isn't telling us the whole story. It's safe to say that there's going to be some lapses on D. Some of these guys are going to have to unlearn the D we've been running for the years they've been here. Young guys like Lawrence, Etienne, and Campbell are gonna get burned by some rookie mistakes. The hope is that they learn from those and improve. You asked for realistic, and I would say that 5 is absolutely realistic. 7 may happen, but it will also require some bounces to go our way to get there. How tragic is it for fans to understand that early on the team is likely going to take some lumps, but in the end it will (hopefully) lead to wins later in the year and moving into the next season?

Now if we hit 4-5 wins next year? That's tragic.

(06-07-2021, 09:31 PM)Jags Wrote: Well, if we’re are judging what record they need to have to be considered “successful”, I’d argue it would be the same as any other team despite the previous season’s record.  So more so a question of what record is to be considered successful.  I personally have been there done that on guessing what w-l record would be good compared to how [BLEEP] our previous year was.  We were 1-15 last year.  Never thought those 3-13 days or 4-12 days looked so good. I would love to see improvement, but I’m sure we all have wanted to see that for years (2017 excluded)

This is where I differ. 3-13 or 4-12 or even 5-11 was hell for me, because we always ended up in the dead section of the darft, that 5-10 range where the absolute peak of the talent pool were gone or we were destined to reach to fill a need.

Last year, 1-15 was offset by the prospect of having the top pick in a year where there was a player easily worthy of that selection.

I don't think anyone needs to really worry about the offensive side of the ball for various reasons.. I think the major determining factor will be the defense. That was the major cause of concern last season. This team should be capable of scoring 25-30 fairly easy but they need to stop giving up 30-40 points a game to really be successful..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-08-2021, 08:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: What would be acceptable is obvious improvement

The record could be a number of things, but if it looks like the new QB is legit, the run D gets better, and a couple of picks show promise, it was a successful offseason.

I’d like to think that will equate to at least 7 wins, but lots of ways it could shake out in the end

This is where I am. Hard to pick a number of wins as this team has so many question marks, but in a positive way. How good or bad can this team be?

Obviously we have a rookie HC and QB and a whole new staff with systems and ideas we need to learn and perfect. I think this is the 5th OC in 5 years.

But I'm encouraged by what I've seen by Meyer and from hearing the players and sounds we are building something good.

But I've heard the off season hype before.

I’m not worried about the offense. Our defense was trash. I really don’t feel like facing Henry, if he’s going for 240.

Need to sneak in the platoffs. Our schedule is pretty easy. Only way i dont see us getting in is if Lawrence has a horrible rookie season or our defense is the same as last yr.

(06-08-2021, 02:10 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Need to sneak in the platoffs. Our schedule is pretty easy. Only way i dont see us getting in is if Lawrence has a horrible rookie season or our defense is the same as last yr.

You drink a different flavor of kool-aid than I do.

(06-07-2021, 01:39 PM)Ronster Wrote: Remember, the Jags went 1-15 last year, while we have a new coach and new ROOKIE QB and a few other players, I think we should temper the expectations of the upcoming season. I think the Jags need at least 7 wins and our QB to show that he is the real deal. Those two metrics would make this year successful IMO...

what say you?

It depends upon who is doing the considering and how success is defined.

If it were solely based upon my evaluations, 6 wins or more would be a victory this year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

You have to remember, this team was really, REALLY bad last year. And many of those same players that stunk will still be on this team.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-09-2021, 09:41 AM)Ronster Wrote: You have to remember, this team was really, REALLY bad last year. And many of those same players that stunk will still be on this team.

We're looking at 6 different starters on defense with 2 more new guys rotating along the line in a new scheme. 

On offense - we're going to see the highest rated QB prospect in a decade added to a good group of receivers, and a loaded backfield running behind a line that run blocks quite well. Don't forget they are adding Etienne to a rushing attack that already averaged 4.5 yds per carry in 2020. (the only functional aspect of the team last year)

It's actually no small amount of change.  Whether it works remains to be seen, but it apparently won't be for lack of trying.

(06-09-2021, 09:41 AM)Ronster Wrote: You have to remember, this team was really, REALLY bad last year. And many of those same players that stunk will still be on this team.

True but there were good players on the roster too and many of the others will be replaced or relegated to the bench. Overall the team will have more talent and the difference between the best teams and the worst teams is usually just 4 or 5 elite players. Turn around could come quicker than you think.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-09-2021, 10:08 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:

True but there were good players on the roster too and many of the others will be replaced or relegated to the bench. Overall the team will have more talent and the difference between the best teams and the worst teams is usually just 4 or 5 elite players. Turn around could come quicker than you think.

Truly, I hope you are right. I am wishing for the best, but I have been a Jags fan since the beginning and the one thing they are good at; is being disappointing.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

The most important change this year is Joe Cullen. I don't think we'll hear him ever say "We just don't know what else to do."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

wait, didn't you start this whole stinker of a thread by saying the team needed 7 wins and trevor to show out to consider the season successful, and then took ppl to task for thinking fewer wins wasn't still capable of being deemed a success?

(06-09-2021, 04:39 PM)Mikey Wrote:

wait, didn't you start this whole stinker of a thread by saying the team needed 7 wins and trevor to show out to consider the season successful, and then took ppl to task for thinking fewer wins wasn't still capable of being deemed a success?

wasn't me...

I know it was last year but from what I remember we were close to winning most of our games... we were in most of those games... I don't believe we were blown out that often... with that being said new head coach all that stuff who knows... but I think we have greatly improved since last year... and now that we have TL... I could see us making a run at winning the division... but I would be happy with a winning record at the end of the season lol