Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Revamped Secondary

With Griffin and Henderson expected to man the corners , Campbell expected to compete at nickel, and a Saftey tandem of Jenkins and Cisco — The unit is nearly completely overhauled from last season. 

This leaves a lot of questions to be answered regarding how well they will fit at each spot in Cullen’s scheme. 

This writer ranks them 27th in the league, which seems a bit drastic to me:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-32-...021-season

Different criteria than the article, but— Where would you guess they’ll land league wide in passing yards allowed? 

I’d guess in the 16-19 range personally.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

16-19 sounds about right to me! I’m so excited about this secondary, I didn’t love the Campbell pick at first but injuries happen and depth is needed always. I just love that our 4th and 5th corners in Tre Herdon and Sidney Jones have as much experience as they do. I think we surprise a lot of people

(06-09-2021, 09:20 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: 16-19 sounds about right to me! I’m so excited about this secondary, I didn’t love the Campbell pick at first but injuries happen and depth is needed always. I just love that our 4th and 5th corners in Tre Herdon and Sidney Jones have as much experience as they do. I think we surprise a lot of people

Depth is definitely present and we haven't seen that for some time in our DB room. 

It's unclear at this point how many and who they keep, but Josh Jones, Daniel Thomas and Jarrod Wilson are quality backup players at the safety spots.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2021, 10:53 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

A lot will depend on the pressure we put in the QB. I think Allen and Chaisson both will be improved though standing up on the edges and in Cullen's system. There isnt any doubt the secondary is much improved though.

(06-09-2021, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A lot will depend on the pressure we put in the QB.  I think Allen and Chaisson both will be improved though standing up on the edges and in Cullen's system.  There isnt any doubt the secondary is much improved though.

Works both ways. 
Improved coverage aids pass rush, and improved pass rush aids coverage. 

Hopefully we see examples of both dynamics resulting in increased pressures, sacks, incompletions and forced turnovers during the 2021 season.

(06-09-2021, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A lot will depend on the pressure we put in the QB.  I think Allen and Chaisson both will be improved though standing up on the edges and in Cullen's system.  There isnt any doubt the secondary is much improved though.

Works both ways. 
Improved coverage aids pass rush, and improved pass rush aids coverage. 

Hopefully we see examples of both dynamics resulting in increased pressures, sacks, incompletions and forced turnovers during the 2021 season.
Definitely, im curious to see Jordan Smith as well.

That secondary is going to be tested when TN comes to town.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

Big change from last offseason. I mean, we actually went into the season where the closest thing we had to a quality starter in the secondary was a top 10 rookie draft pick.

(06-09-2021, 12:34 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: That secondary is going to be tested when TN comes to town.

Nah, they only need Henry against us and I doubt that will change this year.

I remember when people on this board used to make fun of Henry as a rookie because he was bad at some basic RB drills lol, good times.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-09-2021, 02:41 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 12:34 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: That secondary is going to be tested when TN comes to town.

Nah, they only need Henry against us and I doubt that will change this year.

I remember when people on this board used to make fun of Henry as a rookie because he was bad at some basic RB drills lol, good times.

How many posters made fun of Henry?  3?    4? 

Half of the board here wanted the Jags to draft the guy. He's a hometown hero for crying out loud. 

Funny thing about Henry vs the Jags is that fans are overly traumatized by 3 big games. 
He's had a couple of clunkers and 5 very average performances vs the Jags outside of that. 

Henry vs the Jags yards per game 2016 to present:

With an influx of NT and 3/4DE players to the roster, it's clear the Jags are intent on shoring up their run defense. 
I wouldn't be surprised if Henry's numbers are more reasonable in 2021.  Also wouldn't be surprised if he breaks a long one in one of those games either, LOL.

The Titans secondary will be tested aa well by the rookie

(06-09-2021, 08:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: With Griffin and Henderson expected to man the corners , Campbell expected to compete at nickel, and a Saftey tandem of Jenkins and Cisco — The unit is nearly ci ompletely overhauled from last season. 

This leaves a lot of questions to be answered regarding how well they will fit at each spot in Cullen’s scheme. 

Different criteria than the article, but— Where would you guess they’ll land league wide in passing yards allowed? 

I like what I've seen from Cullen so far and really want to see his system. I put a lot of last years struggles down to Wash's relentless zone coverage that a lot of players struggled with. The group looks stronger this year and I'm happy Herndon isnt such a key figure, plays with effort and has straight speed but bites on moves way too much.

How the O plays will have an impact as if we are struggling teams will try to run all over us (as they have the last 2 seasons) but if the O can put up points and make teams have to throw more against us, i think the backfield could do well

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2021, 04:37 PM by JagFanatic24.)

I’m so glad I don’t have to watch Wilson chase WRs all over the stinkin field this year. With that said I think right now they need to be ranked 27th.

I think Campbell will be the starter before the end of the year. Henderson needs to have games like his rookie debut. The safeties just need to keep everything in front of them and come up and make the big hit when needed and fill lanes.

I’m ok with 27th they gotta earn it.

(06-09-2021, 03:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

The Titans secondary will be tested aa well by the rookie

Ha! I HEARD THAT!! The league better get ready for this Jags offense.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2021, 04:48 PM by Mikey.)

(06-09-2021, 08:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: With Griffin and Henderson expected to man the corners , Campbell expected to compete at nickel, and a Saftey tandem of Jenkins and Cisco — The unit is nearly completely overhauled from last season. 

The two biggest factors to that stat will be our ability to stop the run and the offense's ability to sustain drives.

If we can't stop the run, I figure they might be able to break top ten in fewest yards passing allowed.
I think realistically breaking top 20 is an attainable goal. It will likely trend slow, but gradually improve as the pass rush and our QB develops.

@...because the LBs will be missing tackles on Henry?@

(sarcasm, but only slightly)

Based on the resources we have used on that group over the last 2 years, it should be a strength of the team.

It looks the part, hopefully they head out and smother some teams!

If Cisco can turn out anywhere as good as i think he can be the secondary can look like a real nfl secondary again. If Campbell can be what the jags think he is that can make a big diff also.

On paper it sure looks worlds better than last years.

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 09:52 PM by Upper.)

27th sounds about right. Griffin has never been better than average by PFFs grades (I think it's actually one above average and 3 below average seasons), Henderson had his great debut and then sunk like a rock between injuries, Campbell's skill set and the skill set required to play nickel appear to be diametrically opposed, our starting safeties are bottom tier or we're relying on a rookie coming off a serious injury.

We need Griffin to be better than he has ever been, Henderson to take a big leap forward, and some rookies to play like not rookies to have an average secondary. I think it's going to be another year or two before we really mature into a formidable secondary.