Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What we need again

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2021, 09:13 PM by surfon.)

We need to go back to the days of the local grocery store having a bulletin board for ppl to put up things for sale again now.  You should be able to put items up for sale at work at a designated place.  We need a sense of community again so when i put a vehicle up for sale i dont get calls and texts from timbucktoo.  Its ridiculous.

Posted an add on craigslist three scam texts in 5 mins.  Autotrader wants 50 bucks now and you will still have scammers.

You cant hardly sell anything now without a bunch of b s involved.

Ahh man bring back the good old 90s please someone.  Anyone.

Oh and a dog shouldnt cost 1000 dollars.and up.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-12-2021, 09:06 PM)surfon Wrote: We need to go back to the days of the local grocery store having a bulletin board for ppl to put up things for sale again now.  You should be able to put items up for sale at work at a designated place.  We need a sense of community again so when i put a vehicle up for sale i dont get calls and texts from timbucktoo.  Its ridiculous.

Posted an add on craigslist three scam texts in 5 mins.  Autotrader wants 50 bucks now and you will still have scammers.

I don't do social media, but my son seems to have great luck and little hassle buying and selling on Facebook Marketplace.

(06-12-2021, 09:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 09:06 PM)surfon Wrote: We need to go back to the days of the local grocery store having a bulletin board for ppl to put up things for sale again now.  You should be able to put items up for sale at work at a designated place.  We need a sense of community again so when i put a vehicle up for sale i dont get calls and texts from timbucktoo.  Its ridiculous.

I don't do social media, but my son seems to have great luck and little hassle buying and selling on Facebook Marketplace.

I just sold my boat on there with no problem at all. My sister set it up through her account since I don't have or want a Facebook account. I got exactly what I wanted and I sold it in less than a week.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2021, 11:47 PM by surfon.)

Im so sick of facebook. Glad it worked for you guys but i just wont do it.

Thats one evil empire i just wont play with.

Our company uses Yammer for things and there is a classified thread on going. It's great and much simpler and trustworthy than facebook/craigslist, etc.

Luddite gonna Lud.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Go get a free dog from the dog pound.  They're good dogs.

If you think you can get a few bucks for something you want to get rid of, either take it to the pawn shop or have a yard sale..

Normally I just donate stuff to the goodwill..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-13-2021, 09:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

If you want a pit bull or pit mix. At least 90% of the dogs shown on their website are just that.

(06-13-2021, 11:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 09:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Go get a free dog from the dog pound.  They're good dogs.

If you want a pit bull or pit mix. At least 90% of the dogs shown on their website are just that.

That is true.  However, there are 6.5 million dogs that go to a shelter every year.  So even if 90% of them are pit bulls or pit bull mixes, that leaves about 600,000 that are not.

(06-13-2021, 11:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 11:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If you want a pit bull or pit mix. At least 90% of the dogs shown on their website are just that.

That is true.  However, there are 6.5 million dogs that go to a shelter every year.  So even if 90% of them are pit bulls or pit bull mixes, that leaves about 600,000 that are not.

Just to add to this - there are hundreds of private shelters that also have a wide array of breeds and mixes available for adoption for very minimal fees compared to the thousands people inexplicably pay for dogs these days.

Many of these shelters just charge for whatever vet bills they've incurred for the particular animal and an additional fee to keep their business running. Sometimes as little as $100. Which is nothing if you are seeking a particular pricey breed and find it at one of these rescue shelters.  

Regarding the private sale of items -  there is always eBay with the local pickup option.
I've successfully sold a few surfboards that way. Takes a little longer, but it weeds out the riff-raff.

Amen! It makes no sense to me why people would pay big money to get a dog from breeders when there are so many wonderful dogs in shelters and pounds who are euthanized every day. It's terrible. I got both my dogs for free. They are lab mixes and I couldn't ask for better dogs.

(06-13-2021, 09:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Go get a free dog from the dog pound.  They're good dogs.

That's not true at all. Sure, the majority of the dogs in the pound are pits or pit mixes, but it's nowhere close to 90%. It's more like 50%. There are still plenty of lab mixes and shepherd mixes and a variety of other dogs as well. Every dog I have ever had has been a mix of something. I've never owned a purebred and every one of my dogs has been super sweet and very friendly to people and other dogs. My vet even told me that mixed breeds even tend to be healthier all around.

(06-13-2021, 12:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 11:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If you want a pit bull or pit mix. At least 90% of the dogs shown on their website are just that.

That's not true at all. Sure, the majority of the dogs in the pound are pits or pit mixes, but it's nowhere close to 90%. It's more like 50%. There are still plenty of lab mixes and shepherd mixes and a variety of other dogs as well. Every dog I have ever had has been a mix of something. I've never owned a purebred and every one of my dogs has been super sweet and very friendly to people and other dogs. My vet even told me that mixed breeds even tend to be healthier all around.

Mutts and mixes can indeed be healthier than many of the purebred dogs in general as all of the inbreeding produces a myriad of health issues in some breeds that become very common among those breeds. 

English bulldogs and great danes have remarkably short life expectancy as a result.
Beagles have a high propensity for glaucoma and blindness.
Rottweilers have high occurrence of hip dysplasia. 
And the list goes on and on….

(06-13-2021, 12:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

It is in Jacksonville. See for yourself:

Jacksonville Humane SocietyAdopt A Dog | Jacksonville Humane Society (jaxhumane.org)

(06-13-2021, 12:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 12:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's not true at all. Sure, the majority of the dogs in the pound are pits or pit mixes, but it's nowhere close to 90%. It's more like 50%. There are still plenty of lab mixes and shepherd mixes and a variety of other dogs as well. Every dog I have ever had has been a mix of something. I've never owned a purebred and every one of my dogs has been super sweet and very friendly to people and other dogs. My vet even told me that mixed breeds even tend to be healthier all around.

Mutts and mixes can indeed be healthier than many of the purebred dogs in general as all of the inbreeding produces a myriad of health issues in some breeds that become very common among those breeds. 

English bulldogs and great danes have remarkably short life expectancy as a result.
Beagles have a high propensity for glaucoma and blindness.
Rottweilers have high occurrence of hip dysplasia. 
And the list goes on and on….

A most excellent series on the History Channel, Life After People, touched on this.  For anyone who has never seen it, it's a documentary series about what would become of the world if people suddenly disappeared; projected on a timeline from the immediate to millennia, and even eras, into the future.  

One projection touched on what would become of domesticated dogs. A veterinarian commented that mutts are better suited to quickly adapt to suddenly foraging for their own survival because pure breeds have had some of their wolf-like survival genetics suppressed for the sake of appearance and disposition.

I would have never even considered a Pit Bull or a mix until I rescued one of my dogs.  When I picked her up out in the woods she was basically "all head" with her body basically being "skin and bones".  We took her to the vet, got her shots and checked out, got her fixed and now she is a great dog.  The vet thinks that she is a Pit/Lab mix (I concur).  She's not aggressive but very protective.  When somebody comes over she will bark at them until she sees me shake hands and talk to whomever it is.  After that she just wants attention, wants to play or just goes back to laying under a tree.

I'm a firm believer that it's all about the owner rather than the breed.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

They ain’t free. You have to pay a homing fee or a re-homing fee of $75

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2021, 08:27 PM by RicoTx.)

I've never had anything but rescues.  And they are awesome animals.

And although A LOT are pits or pit mixes, you can find others.  Petfinder.com is a good path.  

I currently have a Lab/pit mix (Dexter) and he is one cool dog.  My other is a Shepherd/Dane mix (Othello...we just call him O).  Basically a really tall Shepherd.  Most laid back pooch I've ever had.  Definitely a mama's boy.  He follows my wife everywhere.  I pity the person that tries to do something to her.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]