Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
27 years ago…the slow speed bronco chase!

It’s been 27 years…

https://youtu.be/jUyWS6j5rS4
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Gol-ly, 27 years... I was preparing to leave for deployment onboard the USS Kitty Hawk. I was outside in the cul-de-sac playing with my (at that time) three kids and came in to see this. So bizarre.

Didn't that thing pre-empt some sporting event?

(06-17-2021, 02:39 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Didn't that thing pre-empt some sporting event?

It was during the NBA finals, I believe.

(06-17-2021, 12:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Gol-ly, 27 years... I was preparing to leave for deployment onboard the USS Kitty Hawk. I was outside in the cul-de-sac playing with my (at that time) three kids and came in to see this. So bizarre.

I probably had just gotten back off a deployment on USS America during that time frame.

(06-17-2021, 02:46 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 02:39 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Didn't that thing pre-empt some sporting event?

So in other words the answer to the question is no, not really.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-17-2021, 02:46 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:

I was in a bar with a couple friends watching the game.  I went to the bathroom during a timeout and when I came back, it was just a white Bronco on every screen.  It was like a bad Hertz commercial in slow motion.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2021, 08:01 PM by Jags.)

Before the “chase” I always wanted a Ford Bronco. I wanted one for my first “car”. I remember watching it as well. If you had the TV on you couldn’t help but watch it.  To this day, I STILL want a ‘93 or so Bronco.  These new Broncos Ford is putting out is a shame to what it was in the 90’s. I’ve even looked for the old ones but Holy cow the prices are steep for something that old.  Maybe one day I’ll pull the trigger. I see a few that look in good shape. Tempted to ask if they’d be willing to sell.

(06-17-2021, 08:00 PM)Jags Wrote: Before the “chase” I always wanted a Ford Bronco. I wanted one for my first “car”. I remember watching it as well. If you had the TV on you couldn’t help but watch it.  To this day, I STILL want a ‘93 or so Bronco.  These new Broncos Ford is putting out is a shame to what it was in the 90’s. I’ve even looked for the old ones but Holy cow the prices are steep for something that old.  Maybe one day I’ll pull the trigger. I see a few that look in good shape. Tempted to ask if they’d be willing to sell.

The Broncos made today are an homage to the original Bronco made in the 60s and 70s which were, and still are, hugely popular with the off-roading crowd. The 90s Bronco was a sedate SUV knockoff.

(06-17-2021, 02:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 02:46 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: It was during the NBA finals, I believe.

So in other words the answer to the question is no, not really.

Thank you (and biscuit!) for your service, but this comment was delicious.

94 would have been home from first year of college. I don't remember what I was watching, but the TV was on, and when they cut to the footage, we watched, and I can remember my biggest fear was LA police, African American, oh [redacted], what is going to happen when this car stops? That grim fascination kept our eyes drawn to the coverage.

I want to say this also sparked a trend of chases and chase footage, and I hated that we were glamorizing crime. Except that one time that guy was joyriding in a tank, that rocked.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2021, 06:56 PM by Jags.)

(06-18-2021, 08:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 08:00 PM)Jags Wrote: Before the “chase” I always wanted a Ford Bronco. I wanted one for my first “car”. I remember watching it as well. If you had the TV on you couldn’t help but watch it.  To this day, I STILL want a ‘93 or so Bronco.  These new Broncos Ford is putting out is a shame to what it was in the 90’s. I’ve even looked for the old ones but Holy cow the prices are steep for something that old.  Maybe one day I’ll pull the trigger. I see a few that look in good shape. Tempted to ask if they’d be willing to sell.

The Broncos made today are an homage to the original Bronco made in the 60s and 70s which were, and still are, hugely popular with the off-roading crowd. The 90s Bronco was a sedate SUV knockoff.

The 60’s and 70’s were before my time. (I think we all knew that though) I knew the 90’s model well.  They looked so cool.   As such, seeing the new ones with their removable doors and such, make me think they’re competing with the Jeep.  I think I’ve read that is what they were looking for. I think the Jeep will vastly outsell the Bronco.  As it really should IMO.   Ford has ousted most of their cars and focusing on the truck aspect.  Makes sense since the F150 is not only their number one seller but the most sold vehicle hands down in the US. I can’t blame them for hitting the truck/suv market hard.  They’re good at it.  I personally was let down seeing the new Broncos up close.  But I’d still love a 93 or so Bronco.  Maybe a bit of nostalgia, but I had a 93 F150.  Same front end.  Same look, for the most part.  Was my dream “first car”. Sadly I’ve seen them from $5-20k!1

(06-18-2021, 09:17 AM)Mikey Wrote: 94 would have been home from first year of college. I don't remember what I was watching, but the TV was on, and when they cut to the footage, we watched, and I can remember my biggest fear was LA police, African American, oh [redacted], what is going to happen when this car stops? That grim fascination kept our eyes drawn to the coverage.

I want to say this also sparked a trend of chases and chase footage, and I hated that we were glamorizing crime. Except that one time that guy was joyriding in a tank, that rocked.

It also sparked the trend of sensationalism in the media. It took it to a whole different level than the average white-knuckle, hand wringing news stories. I have loathed MSM ever since. Now everyone has the click bait headlines that drives me nuts. I just want the facts without the drama.

(06-25-2021, 05:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 09:17 AM)Mikey Wrote: 94 would have been home from first year of college. I don't remember what I was watching, but the TV was on, and when they cut to the footage, we watched, and I can remember my biggest fear was LA police, African American, oh [redacted], what is going to happen when this car stops? That grim fascination kept our eyes drawn to the coverage.

It also sparked the trend of sensationalism in the media. It took it to a whole different level than the average white-knuckle, hand wringing news stories. I have loathed MSM ever since. Now everyone has the click bait headlines that drives me nuts. I just want the facts without the drama.

I so much would like to respond to this, but my comment belongs in another forum (politics).

I will say this though.  In the age of "instant news" and social media, there is so much information and disinformation spread so rapidly that it's out of control.  Keep in mind as it relates to the OP.  This all happened before the internet.  It was "broadcast" on television which was pretty much over-the-air or cable (for the younger folks that means a wire that was hooked up to your television).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-25-2021, 06:29 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 05:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It also sparked the trend of sensationalism in the media. It took it to a whole different level than the average white-knuckle, hand wringing news stories. I have loathed MSM ever since. Now everyone has the click bait headlines that drives me nuts. I just want the facts without the drama.

I so much would like to respond to this, but my comment belongs in another forum (politics).

I will say this though.  In the age of "instant news" and social media, there is so much information and disinformation spread so rapidly that it's out of control.  Keep in mind as it relates to the OP.  This all happened before the internet.  It was "broadcast" on television which was pretty much over-the-air or cable (for the younger folks that means a wire that was hooked up to your television).

I’m trans-television-al.  I’m a bothie. Or an all-ie. I remember rabbit ears.  Because we were a poor family in philly.  I remember getting up and  turning the dial looking for squiggle-vision. (Bewbs!). (Or was that a nut sack????)  But I’m also aware of the HD antennas that mainstream OTA providers utilize to air their crap as well as the satellite and streaming services.  I really ought to have a dedicated flag to show others how unique I am as an individual that watches all types of television.

(06-25-2021, 06:55 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 06:29 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I so much would like to respond to this, but my comment belongs in another forum (politics).

I’m trans-television-al.  I’m a bothie. Or an all-ie. I remember rabbit ears.  Because we were a poor family in philly.  I remember getting up and  turning the dial looking for squiggle-vision. (Bewbs!). (Or was that a nut sack????)  But I’m also aware of the HD antennas that mainstream OTA providers utilize to air their crap as well as the satellite and streaming services.  I really ought to have a dedicated flag to show others how unique I am as an individual that watches all types of television.

I remember those days. A dial on the TV and no remote to change volume or the channel. When we finally did get cable us kids were mesmerized by the remote and its magic powers. No, wait. We had a box on the TV that we pushed "buttons" that changed the channel. It was several years later right before I left home that we got the remote control version. Being all excited about a remote at 17 years of age seems pretty ridiculous now but those were the days. 

I miss simplicity.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2021, 11:38 AM by homebiscuit.)

Did anyone else have to go outside and turn the antenna any time the channel was changed or take turns tending to the vertical hold knob?

(06-26-2021, 11:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Did anyone else have to go outside and turn the antenna any time the channel was changed or take turns tending to the vertical hold knob?

Of course! I was the oldest so it was my responsibility. I hated being the oldest sometimes. Lol.

(06-26-2021, 11:41 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 11:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Did anyone else have to go outside and turn the antenna any time the channel was changed or take turns tending to the vertical hold knob?

Of course! I was the oldest so it was my responsibility. I hated being the oldest sometimes. Lol.

Wuut? I was the youngest so all the menial jobs were delegated to me.

[Image: C37850-CC-C289-4-AB4-8-A5-E-A7-EA977163-B9.jpg]
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

LOL.  I remember growing up with basically 4 channels on TV.  ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS.  That was it.  The only time that I cared about watching TV was on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons before chores, and on Sunday afternoons watching "Wide World of Sports" or whatever sports happened to be on.  During the week after the evening news we would watch a few of the sitcoms back then.  "Leave It to Beaver", "Star Trek", "All In The Family", etc.  My wife and I still would rather watch those old programs instead of the garbage that they are putting out today.