Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If we pick up a quality TE, are we a playoff team?

Let’s factor in that Robinson will have an even better year than 2020, Chark has another Pro Bowl season, Walker Little becomes a starter, and ETN and Lawrence play as expected.

For this thread we’re going to say the defense is average. Good games and average games with a couple of eggs.

Are we a playoff team with a quality TE?

Indy and Houston have major concerns. If we can stop Derrick Henry and maybe split that series. 

If we’re not considered a playoff team with a TE then there’s no reason to go get one. However if we are then that’s a different story. 

What is the consensus?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 03:42 AM by Jag88.)

I dont think its about any tight end. It's about the offensive line playing well and the defense playing well. That's my opinion.

(06-22-2021, 02:02 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Let’s factor in that Robinson will have an even better year than 2020, Chark has another Pro Bowl season, Walker Little becomes a starter, and ETN and Lawrence play as expected.

For this thread we’re going to say the defense is average. Good games and average games with a couple of eggs.

Indy and Houston have major concerns. If we can stop Derrick Henry and maybe split that series. 

If we’re not considered a playoff team with a TE then there’s no reason to go get one. However if we are then that’s a different story. 

What is the consensus?

We have a good blocking tight end, and we have the playmakers to create mis-matches elsewhere.  Another TE isn't going to change anything.
There are sooo many new players on this team, to go along with youth and a new defensive scheme... I don' think there's much chance this group can get it together quickly enough to push for the playoffs, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.
I would surely welcome being pleasantly surprised though.  It would beat the annual horrible disappointment for sure.

If the defense wasn't complete trash last year this team could've won 5 or 6 games. If they are just not trash then we could be around .500 this year because I think the offense will be better, but I think the playoffs is out of reach for another year. A good complete TE probably doesn't change that much and the four guys ahead of Tebow are probably good enough for what we are this year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-22-2021, 02:02 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Let’s factor in that Robinson will have an even better year than 2020, Chark has another Pro Bowl season, Walker Little becomes a starter, and ETN and Lawrence play as expected.

What is the consensus?

no.

For one thing, I think a lot of those prerequisites are going to be tough to reach. There are a lot of young and new faces on that D, and the entire scheme is being restructured. There will be mistakes, and we'll likely have to win shootouts to make up for the defensive shortcomings. I don't know that our offense is being built to win by shootout.

That said, if all those other things happen, I think that is enough to get you there. Not only that, I don't push all my chips in on today at the expense of tomorrow. A TE alone is not going to make us playoff contenders. Banking on a lot of what ifs to justify making a move at this stage of the offseason (after passing on a number of TE in both darft and FA) is a risky investment at best.

We have a quality TE. TEEEEEBBBBOOOWWWW
Here we go again

It is a question mark defense with a question mark coaching staff.
If we were a TE away from playoff contention, we wouldn't know it yet.
This might be a 5 win team, it might be a 10 win team with or without that TE. Too many unknowns.

If I'm going by the OP guidelines - assuming the defense is improved to "average" and the offense is top ten, they are still in need of more than just a stud TE to do anything more than sneak into a wildcard IMO.

What is the consensus?

[Image: source.gif]
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Playoffs? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game

(06-22-2021, 11:06 AM)snaxdelrio Wrote: Playoffs? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game

Come on now.  We won a game last year.

I hope we win two.   Laughing
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

What is the consensus?

I mean you just assumed a positive outcome of basically every variable for the season.
1. Average defense.
2. Better Robinson is basically Pro Bowl.
3. Pro Bowl WR.
4. Hyped rookies live up to expectations which would be Lawrence maybe between Mayfeild and Herbert's rookie season.
5. Mediocre to bad division.

I mean with all those assumptions the Jags may already make the playoffs without needing a quality TE. Heck with all those assumptions, one of the TE on the roster may appear like a quality TE just by association.

(06-22-2021, 03:42 AM)Jag88 Wrote: I dont think its about any tight end. It's about the offensive line playing well and the defense playing well. That's my opinion.

Yep, you got it. Defensively, I have questions about how the linebackers are going to shake out and where the pass rush is going to come from.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We need a whole team that wins games from top to bottom. I E .....from F.O down

The point of this conversation was to get the consensus as to why a TE this year is not important. I keep hearing guys say let’s go get Ertz. There’s really no reason.

We are the same team without a TE like Ertz.

(06-22-2021, 04:47 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The point of this conversation was to get the consensus as to why a TE this year is not important. I keep hearing guys say let’s go get Ertz. There’s really no reason.

So adding a TE who is better than any of our TEs is pointless?

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 05:26 PM by Jag88.)

Enjoy the ride. We dont know what to expect until september. Its Hopeful fun times.

A quality TE is not going to make or break this team.

(06-22-2021, 04:47 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The point of this conversation was to get the consensus as to why a TE this year is not important. I keep hearing guys say let’s go get Ertz. There’s really no reason.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-22-2021, 10:08 AM)Preach Wrote: We have a quality TE. TEEEEEBBBBOOOWWWW

Wishful Thinking.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-22-2021, 05:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

So adding a TE who is better than any of our TEs is pointless?

If the coaches aren't going to use him for anything but throwing blocks, abso-frieakin-lutely.

It's not about how talented the TE is, it's how the coaches plan to use him that determines the pointlessness.