Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NY Times: US flag is now 'alienating to some'

NY Times hit by critics, lawmakers for suggesting US flag is now 'alienating to some': 'Disgusting

The New York Times was ripped on Saturday for publishing a piece that suggested the American flag has become a symbol of divisiveness.]

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-york-t...flag-tweet
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Ship these people off to Venezuela for a month, then let's see how much they respect our flag.

Oh well, go cry about it, pansy..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 05:49 AM by The Real Marty.)

(07-04-2021, 05:27 PM)The Drifter Wrote: NY Times hit by critics, lawmakers for suggesting US flag is now 'alienating to some': 'Disgusting

The New York Times was ripped on Saturday for publishing a piece that suggested the American flag has become a symbol of divisiveness.]

I want to defend the NY Times on this one.  It's an article about how to some people, flying the American flag is a clue to people's political beliefs.  It's an interesting story.  People make assumptions about other people based on whether someone is displaying an American flag.  

"In a Long Island town, neighbors now make assumptions, true and sometimes false, about people who conspicuously display American flags."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/03/nyregion/american-flag-politics-polarization.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=New%20York

(07-05-2021, 05:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-04-2021, 05:27 PM)The Drifter Wrote: NY Times hit by critics, lawmakers for suggesting US flag is now 'alienating to some': 'Disgusting

I want to defend the NY Times on this one.  It's an article about how to some people, flying the American flag is a clue to people's political beliefs.  It's an interesting story.  People make assumptions about other people based on whether someone is displaying an American flag.  

"In a Long Island town, neighbors now make assumptions, true and sometimes false, about people who conspicuously display American flags."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/03/nyregion/american-flag-politics-polarization.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=New%20York

If our nation's flag offends them, then they can pack up and leave because we'll never change that, no matter how much crying and bedwetting they do.. They're not wanted here anyway.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 06:15 AM by The Real Marty.)

(07-05-2021, 05:54 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 05:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I want to defend the NY Times on this one.  It's an article about how to some people, flying the American flag is a clue to people's political beliefs.  It's an interesting story.  People make assumptions about other people based on whether someone is displaying an American flag.  

If our nation's flag offends them, then they can pack up and leave because we'll never change that, no matter how much crying and bedwetting they do.. They're not wanted here anyway.

The article didn't say anyone was offended by the flag.  It said some people are interpreting the flag as a political display, and that they are often wrong about that.

There's no reason for anyone to get pissed off about that article.  Unless, of course, you just like being pissed off.  It's just an interesting article.  I think Fox News is way overreaching on this.  There's nothing to get pissed off about in that article.

The New York Times slants left while Fox News slants right, but the fact that the New York Times slants left isn't the reason I read it.  I slant right.  The reason I read NYTimes.com is that it is written on a far higher intellectual plane than Foxnews.com.  There isn't a single interesting thing in Foxnews.com.  Ever. They're just trying to whip the right wing base into hysteria about the left.  There are so many interesting articles in NYTimes.com that have nothing to do with politics.  That's probably why NYTimes.com is able to charge money while FOXNews.com is free.

(07-05-2021, 06:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 05:54 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: If our nation's flag offends them, then they can pack up and leave because we'll never change that, no matter how much crying and bedwetting they do.. They're not wanted here anyway.

The article didn't say anyone was offended by the flag.  It said some people are interpreting the flag as a political display, and that they are often wrong about that.

There's no reason for anyone to get pissed off about that article.  Unless, of course, you just like being pissed off.  It's just an interesting article.  I think Fox News is way overreaching on this.  There's nothing to get pissed off about in that article.

I'm not pissed off at the article.. Not even pissed at the people who are whining and crying about the flag. I'm saying that it's not going to change any time soon and those people are better off leaving the country because of it..

And I can proudly say, I haven't watched Fox News since election night.. I made the switch to Newsmax, until they piss me off too..

I'll let you fill in the blank about how I feel about those 'people'..

The only good liberal is a ____ liberal.  Wink

(07-05-2021, 06:12 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The article didn't say anyone was offended by the flag.  It said some people are interpreting the flag as a political display, and that they are often wrong about that.

I'm not pissed off at the article.. Not even pissed at the people who are whining and crying about the flag. I'm saying that it's not going to change any time soon and those people are better off leaving the country because of it..

And I can proudly say, I haven't watched Fox News since election night.. I made the switch to Newsmax, until they piss me off too..

I don't think anyone is good or bad based on their politics.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 06:23 AM by WingerDinger.)

(07-05-2021, 06:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:12 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I'm not pissed off at the article.. Not even pissed at the people who are whining and crying about the flag. I'm saying that it's not going to change any time soon and those people are better off leaving the country because of it..

I don't think anyone is good or bad based on their politics.

I do.. what they have done and what they're trying to do to our country, I most certainly do..

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 06:25 AM by The Real Marty.)

(07-05-2021, 06:21 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't think anyone is good or bad based on their politics.

I do..

Then maybe you should get out of the house and meet more people.   Or maybe you should meet some liberals and get to know them.  It might change your mind.  They're nice people.  They just have a different point of view about a few things.

(07-05-2021, 06:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:21 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I do..

Then maybe you should get out of the house and meet more people.   Or maybe you should meet some liberals and get to know them.  It might change your mind.  They're nice people.  They just have a different point a view about a few things.

No thanks.. Just keep your trash to yourself. You stay on your side of the fence, I'll stay on mine. Just don't cross that fence. Please don't..

(07-05-2021, 06:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 05:54 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: If our nation's flag offends them, then they can pack up and leave because we'll never change that, no matter how much crying and bedwetting they do.. They're not wanted here anyway.

The New York Times slants left while Fox News slants right, but the fact that the New York Times slants left isn't the reason I read it.  I slant right.  The reason I read NYTimes.com is that it is written on a far higher intellectual plane than Foxnews.com.  There isn't a single interesting thing in Foxnews.com.  Ever. They're just trying to whip the right wing base into hysteria about the left.  There are so many interesting articles in NYTimes.com that have nothing to do with politics.  That's probably why NYTimes.com is able to charge money while FOXNews.com is free.

You should really give another look at Wall Street Journal.  I l love it.

Foxnews.com is not a newspaper. It's like a blog.

(07-05-2021, 06:27 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Then maybe you should get out of the house and meet more people.   Or maybe you should meet some liberals and get to know them.  It might change your mind.  They're nice people.  They just have a different point a view about a few things.

No thanks.. Just keep your trash to yourself. You stay on your side of the fence, I'll stay on mine. Just don't cross that fence. Please don't..

What are you afraid of?  

You know, it's a big wonderful world out there full of interesting and fun people, who don't spend their time obsessing about other people's politics.  There's a lot more to life than politics.  And there are a lot of fun and interesting people on all sides of the political spectrum.

The triggered people's "worst" assumptions would be true about me flying the flag.

I can't belive they let themselves get flanked on this issue. They should have never let things get to the point where one can legitimately assume someone's politics from flying thr flag. But the fact is they did. They hate the country so much they couldn't help but give away this potential joy on their part.

Now all I have to do to flaunt my politics is the reasonable conduct of flying the flag. It's awesome.

(07-05-2021, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:27 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: No thanks.. Just keep your trash to yourself. You stay on your side of the fence, I'll stay on mine. Just don't cross that fence. Please don't..

What are you afraid of?  

You know, it's a big wonderful world out there full of interesting and fun people, who don't spend their time obsessing about other people's politics.  There's a lot more to life than politics.  And there are a lot of fun and interesting people on all sides of the political spectrum.

Snakes.. When I see them in my yard and I'm on my riding mower, the chase is on.. My yard looked a little craycray sometimes because of it..

I treat politics just like how I treat religion.. I don't need anyone's beliefs (political or religious) shoved in my face or disrupting my life or the country I love. When radicals try to change how I live my life or change the country I live in, to curtail to their own beliefs, that's when we have a problem, and that's what they're trying to do. I don't need your so called "interesting" people in my life, I have enough of them. Just put a leash on them..

I see a lot of talk about politics here. What does that have anything to do with the OP?

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 07:37 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(07-05-2021, 06:12 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The article didn't say anyone was offended by the flag.  It said some people are interpreting the flag as a political display, and that they are often wrong about that.

I may not agree with most liberals or conservatives for that matter, but I have friends on both sides of the issues. I can say this, you are what is wrong with America. People on both sides are so right wing or left wing nowadays that they refuse to even meet in the middle. They are constantly flinging mud at the other side and it's ruining our country. People like you are dividing this nation and turning it into an "us against them" type of situation and it's coming from both sides of the political spectrum, yet the people on those two divided sides, refuse to acknowledge their own part. 

I long for the days when we had Ronald Reagan in office. He would work with the other side to come together and get things accomplished. Even Bill Clinton would reach across the aisle for the good of the country to get things done. Nowadays, there is no such thing as "cooperation." It's just which ever side has the most votes, gets their agenda pushed through and our country is going to crap, because of it. One side wants to take us too far into the future, when we're not close to being ready and the other wants to take us back to the dark ages. I'd ask "How did we get here?," but I know the answer to that would just consist you guys of completely blaming the other side without realizing your own hand in it, when both sides are equally to blame. 

Stop electing radicals from your own party! I'm tired of seeing no moderates on my election ballot. It's just a bunch of left and right wing radicals.

(07-05-2021, 06:48 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What are you afraid of?  

Snakes.. When I see them in my yard and I'm on my riding mower, the chase is on.. My yard looked a little craycray sometimes because of it..

I treat politics just like how I treat religion.. I don't need anyone's beliefs (political or religious) shoved in my face or disrupting my life or the country I love. When radicals try to change how I live my life or change the country I live in, to curtail to their own beliefs, that's when we have a problem, and that's what they're trying to do. I don't need your so called "interesting" people in my life, I have enough of them. Just put a leash on them..

You are a radical in every sense of the word and you don't even realize it, because you are so short-sighted, you only see left wing radicals. Guess what? Both sides have them.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 07:55 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(07-05-2021, 07:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:12 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I'm not pissed off at the article.. Not even pissed at the people who are whining and crying about the flag. I'm saying that it's not going to change any time soon and those people are better off leaving the country because of it..

I may not agree with most liberals or conservatives for that matter, but I have friends on both sides of the issues. I can say this, you are what is wrong with America. People on both sides are so right wing or left wing nowadays that they refuse to even meet in the middle. They are constantly flinging mud at the other side and it's ruining our country. People like you are dividing this nation and turning it into an "us against them" type of situation and it's coming from both sides of the political spectrum, yet the people on those two divided sides, refuse to acknowledge their own part. 

I long for the days when we had Ronald Reagan in office. He would work with the other side to come together and get things accomplished. Even Bill Clinton would reach across the aisle for the good of the country to get things done. Nowadays, there is no such thing as "cooperation." It's just which ever side has the most votes, gets their agenda pushed through and our country is going to crap, because of it. One side wants to take us too far into the future, when we're not close to being ready and the other wants to take us back to the dark ages. I'd ask "How did we get here?," but I know the answer to that would just consist you guys of completely blaming the other side without realizing your own hand in it, when both sides are equally to blame. 

Stop electing radicals from your own party! I'm tired of seeing no moderates on my election ballot. It's just a bunch of left and right wing radicals.

(07-05-2021, 06:48 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Snakes.. When I see them in my yard and I'm on my riding mower, the chase is on.. My yard looked a little craycray sometimes because of it..

You are a radical in every sense of the word and you don't even realize it, because you are so short-sighted, you only see left wing radicals. Guess what? Both sides have them.

It's the democrats and left leaning professors and teachers that are dividing this country. If you find a Republican telling people American ideals are bad, I will give you 10 shekels.

It disgusts me when people like you use the "both sides have extremists" jargon to neutralize that ~80% of the democratic party hate the country and what it stands for, yet choose to stay.

(07-05-2021, 07:40 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 07:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I may not agree with most liberals or conservatives for that matter, but I have friends on both sides of the issues. I can say this, you are what is wrong with America. People on both sides are so right wing or left wing nowadays that they refuse to even meet in the middle. They are constantly flinging mud at the other side and it's ruining our country. People like you are dividing this nation and turning it into an "us against them" type of situation and it's coming from both sides of the political spectrum, yet the people on those two divided sides, refuse to acknowledge their own part. 

It's the democrats and left leaning professors and teachers that are dividing this country. If you find a Republican telling people American ideals are bad, I will give you 10 shekels.

It disgusts me when people like you use the "both sides have extremists" jargon to neutralize that ~80% of the democratic party hate the country and what it stands for, yet choose to stay.

+1

(07-05-2021, 07:40 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 07:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I may not agree with most liberals or conservatives for that matter, but I have friends on both sides of the issues. I can say this, you are what is wrong with America. People on both sides are so right wing or left wing nowadays that they refuse to even meet in the middle. They are constantly flinging mud at the other side and it's ruining our country. People like you are dividing this nation and turning it into an "us against them" type of situation and it's coming from both sides of the political spectrum, yet the people on those two divided sides, refuse to acknowledge their own part. 

Bingo..