Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NY Times: US flag is now 'alienating to some'

So Symbol Minded.
s
;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-05-2021, 11:48 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: So Symbol Minded.

Que?

The problem here is two-fold. 

First, the NYT didn't say the flag has alienated people, the folks they interviewed said it. Yes, the Times published the story but that's what news outlets do. It's called making money. 

Second, the flag has become politicized by activists and right-wing groups which fans the flames of discontent on both sides of the political aisle which, in turn, does alienate people. 

All of this whinging puts off people like myself who fly it simply because I'm a veteran and its a reminder of every veteran who has served to protect the freedoms we have and to never forget those who paid the ultimate price. 

The flag was never meant to be political and should never be used or seen as such. Those who use it to prove a point politically or as a whipping post for their personal anguish need a psychological enema.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 10:00 PM by mikesez.)

The flag as it flies represents all of the great things about this country. If you idealize our history, it represents our history. If not, it represents our aspirations. If you idealize our culture, it represents that. If not, let it represent our multicultural nature and our freedom to create subcultures. For me it's all of the above.
If it represents some political party or political agenda, that's a big problem, whether you agree or disagree with that agenda.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2021, 09:29 AM by The Real Marty.)

I have an American flag flying from my front porch, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with politics.

And if anyone on the left thinks the right is hijacking the flag, then take it back by flying one yourself.  Problem solved.

And actually, the article in the NY Times was about how some people mistakenly think the flag represents a political position.

(07-05-2021, 06:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 05:54 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: If our nation's flag offends them, then they can pack up and leave because we'll never change that, no matter how much crying and bedwetting they do.. They're not wanted here anyway.

The article didn't say anyone was offended by the flag.  It said some people are interpreting the flag as a political display, and that they are often wrong about that.

There's no reason for anyone to get pissed off about that article.  Unless, of course, you just like being pissed off.  It's just an interesting article.  I think Fox News is way overreaching on this.  There's nothing to get pissed off about in that article.

The New York Times slants left while Fox News slants right, but the fact that the New York Times slants left isn't the reason I read it.  I slant right.  The reason I read NYTimes.com is that it is written on a far higher intellectual plane than Foxnews.com.  There isn't a single interesting thing in Foxnews.com.  Ever. They're just trying to whip the right wing base into hysteria about the left.  There are so many interesting articles in NYTimes.com that have nothing to do with politics.  That's probably why NYTimes.com is able to charge money while FOXNews.com is free.

"Slants Left"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. They are a propaganda machine for the democrat party and all left wing governments. Slants left.... hahahah that's funny
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(07-06-2021, 09:29 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The article didn't say anyone was offended by the flag.  It said some people are interpreting the flag as a political display, and that they are often wrong about that.

There's no reason for anyone to get pissed off about that article.  Unless, of course, you just like being pissed off.  It's just an interesting article.  I think Fox News is way overreaching on this.  There's nothing to get pissed off about in that article.

The New York Times slants left while Fox News slants right, but the fact that the New York Times slants left isn't the reason I read it.  I slant right.  The reason I read NYTimes.com is that it is written on a far higher intellectual plane than Foxnews.com.  There isn't a single interesting thing in Foxnews.com.  Ever. They're just trying to whip the right wing base into hysteria about the left.  There are so many interesting articles in NYTimes.com that have nothing to do with politics.  That's probably why NYTimes.com is able to charge money while FOXNews.com is free.

"Slants Left"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. They are a propaganda machine for the democrat party and all left wing governments. Slants left.... hahahah that's funny

By the way, the stock of the "failing New York Times," as Trump likes to call it, is up almost 300% in the last 5 years.  It's not failing.

(07-06-2021, 09:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I have an American flag flying from my front porch, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with politics.

And if anyone on the left thinks the right is hijacking the flag, then take it back by flying one yourself.  Problem solved.

And actually, the article in the NY Times was about how some people mistakenly think the flag represents a political position.

The problem is these people aren't mistaking anything. They're making an assumption based on the highly polarized political climate we find ourselves in and aren't willing to look at things for what they are. Being willfully ignorant is becoming more of a mindset as we go on. And that's on both sides. 

A flag painted on the side of a building is just a flag painted on the side of a building. Now, the people who put it there may or may not have an agenda but no one cares to find out. I see pickup trucks where I live flying the flag and I don't think anything of it. It's when I see trucks with the flag and F#$k Biden magnets and maybe even a MAGA magnet that I better understand their mindset.

(07-06-2021, 09:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: And if anyone on the left thinks the right is hijacking the flag, then take it back by flying one yourself.  Problem solved.

That's the obvious answer, but they can't do it -- they hate what it stands for. They've painted themselves into a corner.

(07-06-2021, 10:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-06-2021, 09:29 AM)Ronster Wrote: "Slants Left"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. They are a propaganda machine for the democrat party and all left wing governments. Slants left.... hahahah that's funny

By the way, the stock of the "failing New York Times," as Trump likes to call it, is up almost 300% in the last 5 years.  It's not failing.

It's failing It's readers..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2021, 11:51 AM by Hard_Eight.)

Wouldn't wipe my [BLEEP] with it.

If the flag offends you, get out. Go to another country that you admire. Venezuela? Cuba Perhaps? Now about a few weeks in Nigeria, or Chad?
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]