Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ramsey blames Caldwell for discontent (merged)

Ramsey offers more details on meeting with Jags that led to trade (usatoday.com)

One of the darkest periods in Jacksonville Jaguars history was when the news broke of All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey wanting a trade from the organization. A former Top-5 selection from the 2016 NFL Draft, Ramsey was probably as big of a defensive star as a small market team could have, and much of that was because he backed it up on the field. 

However, during the Jags’ second regular-season game of the 2019 season, it all hit the fan after Ramsey got into a verbal altercation with former Jags head coach Doug Marrone. As heated as that argument looked, though, it wasn’t the issue that led to Ramsey leaving — instead, it was a confrontational meeting with management after the game that left him feeling disrespected...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-16-2021, 06:14 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Ramsey offers more details on meeting with Jags that led to trade (usatoday.com)

One of the darkest periods in Jacksonville Jaguars history was when the news broke of All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey wanting a trade from the organization. A former Top-5 selection from the 2016 NFL Draft, Ramsey was probably as big of a defensive star as a small market team could have, and much of that was because he backed it up on the field. 

However, during the Jags’ second regular-season game of the 2019 season, it all hit the fan after Ramsey got into a verbal altercation with former Jags head coach Doug Marrone. As heated as that argument looked, though, it wasn’t the issue that led to Ramsey leaving — instead, it was a confrontational meeting with management after the game that left him feeling disrespected...

I read the same article. Most of us naturally assumed it was Coughlin that caused the entire fiasco, but according to what I read, it was Caldwell. Ramsey really didn't have anything nice to say about Tom, but Caldwell was the main target of his rage. Ramsey stated he had no problem with Marrone or the Khans. He said the owner and his son were both very respectful and even though he had a blowup with Marrone on the sidelines, he and the the coach were "good." Ramsey said Caldwell demanded that he apologize to Marrone over the sideline altercation and when Ramsey refused and stated the incident had been put to rest and that he and Marrone were "good", Caldwell started yelling and cussing at him and things got ugly. The next day, Ramsey told his agent he wanted out. 

Personally, I don't care. Things worked out the way they were supposed to and it led us to Trevor Lawrence, so I'm good. It's just interesting that the target of Ramsey's hate wasn't the guy we thought it would be.

(07-16-2021, 06:14 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Ramsey offers more details on meeting with Jags that led to trade (usatoday.com)

Thanks for posting.
Now we have a more complete picture.
If this is true, Caldwell was rat least partially responsible for Rsey's departure, though Ramsey himself could had handled things better..

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Why is it the only time we hear anything about him, it's dead zone time? If he's so big on respect, why did he go on record referring to his fellow players as trash? Why does he feel a need to villify former bosses about what happened in a closed-door meeting? And if that was all it took to scare him off, good gracious he's got some thin skin.

Guy is a legend in his own mind. So glad we granted his wish.

What surprised me the most was discovering Caldwell was the instigator. He didn’t seem to me to be incendiary, that was Tom’s department. Maybe he was trying to impress Coughlin. Who knows. Ramsey’s drama was a little much, though.

In the end it facilitated better things, such as regime change and a new brighter outlook. They’re all gone now. Better times are ahead.

Could you imagine Ramsey with Lawrence? Even tho I loved Ramsey I noticed he got scorched against the Chiefs. I knew he was replaceable after that game. He’s still one of the best CBs and it sucks Caldwell ran him outta town.

Caldwell should have stayed out of it since it was already squashed.

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 09:12 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

But but but Coughlin is the devil!!! And saint Caldwell never did anything wrong while he was with the Jaguars!! Laughing

I dont really care either way, Ramsey is an idiot anyway but it is funny how all you wanted to crucify Coughlin and made all kind of excuses for Caldwell.

Wait wait I got it! Coughlin propably manipulated Caldwell so he would say all those things to Ramsey Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 09:50 AM by The Real Marty.)

This is one situation where no one was in the right.  What Ramsey did could not be tolerated.  Just to say, "Me and the coach are good" means what Ramsey did in the sideline was okay, just part of the game.  That would severely undermine the head coach.   On the other hand, it was handled very very poorly by the Jags' brass.   What Ramsey did was horrible, but what Caldwell then did was completely stupid.  What was called for was de-escalation, a heart to heart talk with Ramsey, with just one person, not four, and then a public apology by Ramsey or a fine.   The one thing one should not do if they care about retaining the player is to escalate the anger of the moment.

(07-16-2021, 08:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: What surprised me the most was discovering Caldwell was the instigator. He didn’t seem to me to be incendiary, that was Tom’s department. Maybe he was trying to impress Coughlin. Who knows. Ramsey’s drama was a little much, though.

In the end it facilitated better things, such as regime change and a new brighter outlook. They’re all gone now. Better times are ahead.

That's a good view of it.

my god if thats all it takes for him to want out, he is a pansy. I would love to see him join the military, although its much softer now than it ever has been, he would have to get some thick skin, or cry himself to sleep every night. The military isnt for everyone, but it sure as hell makes you grow up and not be a cry baby.

If it hadn't been that, it would have been something else. Ramsey always considered himself to big for this market and it was all about figuring out an exit strategy. This was one,so he took it.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Who cares? He's gone and he really wouldn't have made that big of a difference on a bad team. He would've manufactured some other reason to want out.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(07-16-2021, 10:13 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: If it hadn't been that, it would have been something else. Ramsey always considered himself to big for this market and it was all about figuring out an exit strategy. This was one,so he took it.

This^. I was never a Ramsey fan. He was a "me first" type of player. Had he stayed, maybe we win a game or two more last season, but we would lose out on drafting Trevor Lawrence and we'd still be bad for the unforeseeable future. Now, we get a "do-over." A new front office, new coaches and for the first time maybe in franchise history, a QB who can one day get us to a Superbowl. Sometimes things happen for a reason. At the time we may not have been able to see it, but now we can. We had to lose Ramsey to get Lawrence. I'd make that trade off any day. Things are finally starting to look up.

Ramsey was a diva and everyone should've known that before draft day. Alot happened after 17 so ramsey leaving is just the one that stood out the most. fans were upset with the FO so a player being upset just flamed the already lit situation. Caldwell didn't help, Coughlin didn't, and Marrone was Marrone and they all were stubborn in their own right. Us getting Trevor though, had way more to do with the previous regime than just Ramsey. we lost damn near the entire team lmao

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(07-16-2021, 08:25 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Why is it the only time we hear anything about him, it's dead zone time? If he's so big on respect, why did he go on record referring to his fellow players as trash? Why does he feel a need to villify former bosses about what happened in a closed-door meeting? And if that was all it took to scare him off, good gracious he's got some thin skin.

Guy is a legend in his own mind. So glad we granted his wish.
Good point: For a player to be so big on 'respect', he sure dishes out a LOT of it on and off the field: calling other QBs trash, fighting players, having baby mamma drama with other player's sisters. The guy is just a massive headache and NOT worth the hassle. 

Hilarious even that Fournette still 'fondly' remembers Jalen getting choked out by AJ Green.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/5/1/212...ls-jaguars

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Ramsey is a diva and that should come as no surprise. The fact that the GM took up for an issue the Coach wouldn't handle himself says a lot about the coach. Heck what a mistake it was promoting, hiring, staying with, doubling down .. insert what you want it was hanging with Marrone. Jeez Caldwell sure screwed this franchise. I guess this is a good window into the disastrous contracts we ate under Caldwell. Guy couldn't negotiate for crude. Anyone with talent we blew it.

I seriously hope we have a turning point now. Myer gives me the battered fan syndrome feelings but we will see.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Wonder what it cost the Jaguars to get that permanent residence in Ramseys brain.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

It's pretty clear that Ramsey was good with Marrone simply because Marrone wouldn't call him out on his B.S.

It's pretty clear that Ramsey isn't good with Caldwell because DC told him to knock it off and the pantywaste diva didn't like it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This child support skipping deadbeat just can't quit the Jags.

Regardless of who said what, Ramsey showed his true colors by faking a back injury in order to stay off the field until he could be traded. I'm glad he's gone. It doesn't excuse the behavior of Caldwell and Coughlin but they certainly weren't the sole reason for his reaction.

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 06:15 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(07-16-2021, 05:35 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Regardless of who said what, Ramsey showed his true colors by faking a back injury in order to stay off the field until he could be traded. I'm glad he's gone. It doesn't excuse the behavior of Caldwell and Coughlin but they certainly weren't the sole reason for his reaction.

Agreed.

It worked out for us imo. Got 3 good seasons out of him, 2 first round picks in exchange and him leaving helped us get Lawrence so...

Also, while I understand what Caldwell was saying he shouldn't talk like that to players, period. Now, this is Jalen's version of what happened so who knows if he is telling everything exactly as it happened. I honestly can't imagine Caldwell talking like that to players. We will never know for sure though as Caldwell will probably never talk about this because why would he? he isn't Jalen lol.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23