Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Olympics 2021

Anyone still interested in the Olympics?

Team USA predicted to lead the medal table.

Will this be a superspreader event for the rona?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

When I first saw the Olympics on TV in 1968, I thought it was the greatest thing ever. My feeling for the event only increased in 1972. Since then, my feelings have soured. The corruption, the jingoism, the commercialization, the billions of dollars the host countries have to spend to host it, with little return to show for it except rusting, weed-filled venues... I'm not interested any more.

My big draw to the Olympics was the battle with the reds. With the exception of the Chinese, we no longer have that competition of athletes and ideologies.

The appeal to me as a youngster was seeing a lot of sports that normally didn't get the broadcast time. Grew up without cable and ESPN, so Wide World of Sports was about the only time we ever saw things beyond hoops, bats, or goalposts.

Allowing pros to compete seemed a cheap ploy to draw casual eyes to sports that really didn't need as much attention. The onset of performance enhancement via supplements or worse soured me on caring about most events. The addition of so many mainstream sports or x-games adjacent stuff made it "SSDD" for me.

I haven't cared about olympics since the 80s, honestly, but tend more to the winter events; That might be because in the summer I'd rather be outside doing the things they are doing like kayaking, volleyball, etc, and the winter we are all huddled up under a blanket trying to put off shoveling yet again. If bobsled/luge is on, I'm watching. Heck, I'll even tune in to curling.

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 09:49 AM by RicoTx.)

This thing is so wishy-washy when it comes to imbedding videos.  

https://youtu.be/CxCUHjx7U7Y
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 10:00 AM by homebiscuit.)

(07-19-2021, 09:46 AM)Mikey Wrote: The appeal to me as a youngster was seeing a lot of sports that normally didn't get the broadcast time. Grew up without cable and ESPN, so Wide World of Sports was about the only time we ever saw things beyond hoops, bats, or goalposts.

Allowing pros to compete seemed a cheap ploy to draw casual eyes to sports that really didn't need as much attention. The onset of performance enhancement via supplements or worse soured me on caring about most events. The addition of so many mainstream sports or x-games adjacent stuff made it "SSDD" for me.

I haven't cared about olympics since the 80s, honestly, but tend more to the winter events; That might be because in the summer I'd rather be outside doing the things they are doing like kayaking, volleyball, etc, and the winter we are all huddled up under a blanket trying to put off shoveling yet again. If bobsled/luge is on, I'm watching. Heck, I'll even tune in to curling.

Heck, yeah! That looks like a blast. I would love to do it. I really like watching skeleton. Nothing says 'big brass balls' (even the women!) more than hurtling down an icy track face first at 80 mph.

(07-23-2021, 09:48 AM)RicoTx Wrote: This thing is so wishy-washy when it comes to imbedding videos.  

https://youtu.be/CxCUHjx7U7Y

That's a training regimen I can endorse. 

(sigh) I sure do miss the funny SNL.

Looks like The US Mens basketball team got sucker punched by France.

I feel like there was a big guy playing center for France, and his name was Karma..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(07-25-2021, 10:51 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Looks like The US Mens basketball team got sucker punched by France.

I feel like there was a big guy playing center for France, and his name was Karma..

You really hate to see it.

Synchronized diving. The Chinese team is really good.

I don't understand how Hideki Matsayuma wasn't the carrier of the Olympic torch.

Why is a limey chick hosting the American Olympics broadcast?

(07-25-2021, 06:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Why is a limey chick hosting the American Olympics broadcast?

She's not, it's the lag caused by the time difference that creates the perception of an accent. She's really from Brooklyn.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-26-2021, 10:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 06:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Why is a limey chick hosting the American Olympics broadcast?

She's not, it's the lag caused by the time difference that creates the perception of an accent. She's really from Brooklyn.

“I’m wawkin’ heah!”

Yeah, I can hear it a little.

US team is turning on Popovich. You really hate to see it.

(07-26-2021, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: US team is turning on Popovich. You really hate to see it.

Heartbreaking to see our patriotic Olympic team reduced to this.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Take a knee, Take an L

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I still enjoy watching swimming, gymnastics and diving. My husband looks for women's beach volleyball. The male ROC gymnast who is competing after an Achilles tendon tear in APRIL did amazing and they won the team gold.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 10:39 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Simone Biles pulls out of team competition after landing awkwardly from her vault performance.  USA finishes 2nd.

Anyone else indifferent as to whether USA wins or loses?  I honestly don't even care anymore.  I actually found myself rooting for the upset when France beat the US.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 10:39 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

The judges suck. ROC does simple stuff and still mess some stuff up - they get 14.6... Grace does well, messed up a little, gets a 13-something.

Judges, as always, are anti-American

(07-26-2021, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: US team is turning on Popovich. You really hate to see it.

Popovich is just another pawn of the CCP. He's an Idiot.

(07-27-2021, 10:38 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: The judges suck. ROC does simple stuff and still mess some stuff up - they get 14.6... Grace does well, messed up a little, gets a 13-something.

Judges, as always, are anti-American

Popovich is just another pawn of the CCP. He's an Idiot.

Well, when Grace goes in with a full point lower difficulty it doesn't matter if they both "mess up", the routine was easier and the score will be lower.