Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Camp Battles

Quite a few starting spots are up in the air, and rotation along the D-Line is a huge question mark. 
Secondary packages and personnel need sorting out and three players there are out with the virus. 

Tell us what you see going on with the various battles to earn playing time.

Here's something from PFF to spark a convo:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-three-train...s-2021#JAX

Quote:INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINE: TAVEN BRYAN VS. JAY TUFELE VS. ADAM GOTSIS
Jacksonville is expected to move to a base 3-4 defense in 2021 under new defensive coordinator Joe Cullen. Offseason acquisitions Roy Robertson-Harris and Malcom Brown are the two most likely defensive linemen to earn starting jobs in the new defense, but the third starting spot is up in the air.
Bryan may be the most interesting name in the group. Per Gary Smits of the Florida Times-Union, Jaguars defensive line coach Tosh Lupoi said of Bryan earlier this offseason, “Taven is a dangerous combination of speed and power. He has an elite skill set … we just have to channel that and focus that where we need to help us the most.”
The 2018 first-round pick has yet to put it together. Tupoi and the Jaguars will be hoping 2021 is the year he finally does.

NO. 3 CORNERBACK: TYSON CAMPBELL VS. TRE HERNDON VS. SIDNEY JONES
Campbell played just 65 snaps in the slot during his college career, but he’s expected to compete for the starting nickel job in Jacksonville as a rookie.
New head coach Urban Meyer said of Campbell on The Cris Collinsworth Podcast, “He played safety in high school and he was a state champion in Florida in the 100 (meters), and we’re going to dual-teach him right out of the gate corner and nickel.”
Herndon will be Campbell’s primary competition for the starting nickel job. He earned a 55.8 coverage grade across 531 wide snaps in 2020 compared to a 58.9 mark on 306 slot snaps.

FREE SAFETY: ANDRE CISCO VS. JARROD WILSON VS. DANIEL THOMAS
Cisco is still working his way back from an ACL injury that prematurely ended his 2020 season at Syracuse, but his range and playmaking ability could make him a surprise starter at free safety if he’s cleared. Cisco tallied 26 combined interceptions and pass breakups in 24 career college games.
Wilson is the favorite to start as things stand, though. He has been one of the steadier presences on the Jaguars' defense over the past two seasons, earning a 72.3 overall grade across nearly 2,000 defensive snaps since 2019.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think all those guys except Tater Cakes Bryan make the roster because you can't teach smarts. It's interesting that they don't mention Hamilton at all, he was the most promising guy last year IMO. Campbell will replace C.J. outside by mid-season, but Herndon is probably the Nickel Day 1. Wilson wins the job, Cisco takes over mid-season as well. Thomas is a back up.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-25-2021, 10:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think all those guys except Tater Cakes Bryan make the roster because you can't teach smarts. It's interesting that they don't mention Hamilton at all, he was the most promising guy last year IMO. Campbell will replace C.J. outside by mid-season, but Herndon is probably the Nickel Day 1. Wilson wins the job, Cisco takes over mid-season as well. Thomas is a back up.

I'm guessing they see Davon Hamilton as rotational at NT and at big DE. He and Tufele both have size to rotate with Brown in the middle, but also could play next to him on "heavy" 3-4 sets. Hamilton is probably the guy up there with the most upside ATM. 

Will be interesting to see how often they go to a 4-3 look when selling out to stop the run vs a big 3-4 front.

(07-25-2021, 10:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think all those guys except Tater Cakes Bryan make the roster because you can't teach smarts. It's interesting that they don't mention Hamilton at all he was the most promising guy last year IMO. Campbell will replace C.J. outside by mid-season, but Herndon is probably the Nickel Day 1. Wilson wins the job, Cisco takes over mid-season as well. Thomas is a back up.

or Jihad Ward
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(07-25-2021, 10:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think all those guys except Tater Cakes Bryan make the roster because you can't teach smarts. It's interesting that they don't mention Hamilton at all, he was the most promising guy last year IMO. Campbell will replace C.J. outside by mid-season, but Herndon is probably the Nickel Day 1. Wilson wins the job, Cisco takes over mid-season as well. Thomas is a back up.

Baring health, Jones will be the starting nickel over Herndon. Jones was our best CB last year (partly due to injuries but NEVERTHELESS).

NH3...
"AZANE"

(07-25-2021, 04:48 PM)NH3 Wrote:

Baring health, Jones will be the starting nickel over Herndon. Jones was our best CB last year (partly due to injuries but NEVERTHELESS).

NH3...

Jones skill set is better outside I think. Herndon has shown some good physicality coming up vs the run and covering TEs. He may not have the man cover skills of Jones in space, but he shines underneath a little bit.

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021, 05:09 PM by CanDoBetter.)

Campbell is the nickel. Griffin and Henderson on the outside. Until Campbell takes Henderson's job.

(07-25-2021, 05:09 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Campbell is the nickel. Griffin and Henderson on the outside. Until Campbell takes Henderson's job.

context:  Henderson has Covid-19 - thus some speculation of Campbell outside early 

Otherwise, I think Griffin and Henderson start the season outside. 
Wouldn't be surprised if Campbell takes one of those outside spots later in the season or early 2022 though. 
Could Herndon beat out Campbell for the start at nicke? Yeah, but I think that's unlikely given Campbell's tape and Cullen's desire to blitz DBs like rabid dogs. I think he'll roll the dice with the rookie and see what he's got.

(07-25-2021, 10:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Quite a few starting spots are up in the air, and rotation along the D-Line is a huge question mark. 
Secondary packages and personnel need sorting out and three players there are out with the virus. 

Tell us what you see going on with the various battles to earn playing time.

Here's something from PFF to spark a convo:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-three-train...s-2021#JAX

Quote:INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINE: TAVEN BRYAN VS. JAY TUFELE VS. ADAM GOTSIS
Jacksonville is expected to move to a base 3-4 defense in 2021 under new defensive coordinator Joe Cullen. Offseason acquisitions Roy Robertson-Harris and Malcom Brown are the two most likely defensive linemen to earn starting jobs in the new defense, but the third starting spot is up in the air.
Bryan may be the most interesting name in the group. Per Gary Smits of the Florida Times-Union, Jaguars defensive line coach Tosh Lupoi said of Bryan earlier this offseason, “Taven is a dangerous combination of speed and power. He has an elite skill set … we just have to channel that and focus that where we need to help us the most.”
The 2018 first-round pick has yet to put it together. Tupoi and the Jaguars will be hoping 2021 is the year he finally does.

NO. 3 CORNERBACK: TYSON CAMPBELL VS. TRE HERNDON VS. SIDNEY JONES
Campbell played just 65 snaps in the slot during his college career, but he’s expected to compete for the starting nickel job in Jacksonville as a rookie.
New head coach Urban Meyer said of Campbell on The Cris Collinsworth Podcast, “He played safety in high school and he was a state champion in Florida in the 100 (meters), and we’re going to dual-teach him right out of the gate corner and nickel.”
Herndon will be Campbell’s primary competition for the starting nickel job. He earned a 55.8 coverage grade across 531 wide snaps in 2020 compared to a 58.9 mark on 306 slot snaps.

FREE SAFETY: ANDRE CISCO VS. JARROD WILSON VS. DANIEL THOMAS
Cisco is still working his way back from an ACL injury that prematurely ended his 2020 season at Syracuse, but his range and playmaking ability could make him a surprise starter at free safety if he’s cleared. Cisco tallied 26 combined interceptions and pass breakups in 24 career college games.
Wilson is the favorite to start as things stand, though. He has been one of the steadier presences on the Jaguars' defense over the past two seasons, earning a 72.3 overall grade across nearly 2,000 defensive snaps since 2019.

Don't sleep on this defense. There are no clear-cut Pro Bowlers aside from Myles Jack. Josh Allen is ready to break out, however. Beyond them are many quality pieces and promising young depth along the defensive line and at corner. If Sidney Jones could stay healthy, he's an above average starter. Henderson is essentially a rookie to me. He should be made to compete with Jones and Campbell, regardless of his draft position. Campbell is raw and can be brought along slowly. I've not watched Griffin play, but I hope he's not an overrated product of Seattle's system. 

Wilson is not a quality NFL starter, just a veteran fill-in. Let Cisco take the job immediately if he's healthy. He's the future anyway, and this is not a playoff year. 

Brown should start at NT with Hamilton rotating with him. There's no need to play Hamilton anywhere but nose except on the goal line because the interior depth is very strong.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

I think Cisco will be the starter in Week 1. I can’t take another week of Wilson chasing a WR down the sideline.

Id like to think Campbell would be our nickel guy. I wouldnt be shocked if it took him to say Week 3/4 to take that spot but being such a high draft pick, i would expect him to be someone they see as a starter rather than depth.

Im not a huge Herndon fan, hes got straight line speed but bites on moves way too much. He may do better in the slot if its covering over the middle or deep but Sidney Jones looked our best DB last year. Made some big plays and will be an interesting battle between those 3.

Talking of battles, im intrigued to see how the WR's fall depth wise. I expect Chark to be our #1 but the rest of that top group feels pretty open. See who takes their opportunities.

(07-26-2021, 10:34 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Id like to think Campbell would be our nickel guy. I wouldnt be shocked if it took him to say Week 3/4 to take that spot but being such a high draft pick, i would expect him to be someone they see as a starter rather than depth.

Im not a huge Herndon fan, hes got straight line speed but bites on moves way too much. He may do better in the slot if its covering over the middle or deep but Sidney Jones looked our best DB last year. Made some big plays and will be an interesting battle between those 3.

Talking of battles, im intrigued to see how the WR's fall depth wise. I expect Chark to be our #1 but the rest of that top group feels pretty open. See who takes their opportunities.
Well Typed.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(07-26-2021, 10:34 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Id like to think Campbell would be our nickel guy. I wouldnt be shocked if it took him to say Week 3/4 to take that spot but being such a high draft pick, i would expect him to be someone they see as a starter rather than depth.

One of the talking heads on 1010 xl (Ballou?) was saying UDFA Josh I, had a good day.  Jersey number aside, he was saying Josh I caught everything, and reminded him of Allen Hurns.

Frangie was saying the team practiced at a very fast tempo, and did this thing where they were telling the players about the drills that were to come, and speculated this could become an adopted coaching technique around the league in time.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-29-2021, 07:08 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

One of the talking heads on 1010 xl (Ballou?) was saying UDFA Josh I, had a good day.  Jersey number aside, he was saying Josh I caught everything, and reminded him of Allen Hurns.

Frangie was saying the team practiced at a very fast tempo, and did this thing where they were telling the players about the drills that were to come, and speculated this could become an adopted coaching technique around the league in time.

We've got a very deep WR group, IMO. I really like the blend of size and speed at the position. This should be a fun offense to watch, if the O-Line gives Lawrence time to set his feet.

(07-29-2021, 07:08 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

Is this not a normal thing? Outlining what drills will be done and the order in which they're done in?

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021, 08:55 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 3 times in total.)

TE will be a good battle. 
Manhertz - in
O'Shaughnessy - has experience
Farrell - Former Player and friend of Urban's family
Tebow - Former Player Urban loves
*Tyler Davis - may have the best talent out of Georgia Tech but will likely get cut as he is not a former player of Urban nor is he a friend of their family
Ben Ellefson - nah

*Regarding Davis, GT actually produces good receivers (Darren Waller, Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, etc.).  Unfortunately, their prior offensive system did not showcase the passing game (case in point 1 pass during a blowout 49-28 win vs Va Tech in 2018)

(07-26-2021, 05:41 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I think Cisco will be the starter in Week 1. I can’t take another week of Wilson chasing a WR down the sideline.

If healthy, I agree.  Our safeties did an excellent job last season to secure our #1 pick.

(07-25-2021, 05:09 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Until Campbell takes Henderson's job.

Laughing
Oooookay.

(07-29-2021, 08:30 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 07:08 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Frangie was saying the team practiced at a very fast tempo, and did this thing where they were telling the players about the drills that were to come, and speculated this could become an adopted coaching technique around the league in time.
Is this not a normal thing? Outlining what drills will be done and the order in which they're done in?

Yes, that confused me as well.

I think Herndon will be your Terry Cous-.....I meant nickel.