Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 discussion

A coworker told me his neighbor spent 8 days in the hospital when he went into respiratory failure after receiving the Moderna vaccine.

Um, no worries NYC, you’ll do fine!

(gulp)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021, 11:00 AM by KingIngram052787. Edited 1 time in total.)

My parents (mid to late 60s) sister and her husband and wife and I all received Moderna. None of us had too bad of reactions too it. Our arms were pretty sore for a few days after both shots and I was really tired the late afternoon/evening on the day I got the shot, but outside of that our symptoms were mild. I think my wife had a slight fever for a few hours. I hope it's the same (or better) for you, good luck!

(08-10-2021, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Off to get Moderna shot #1 here in a minute. I got past my 90 day wait after being positive about a week or so ago.
Got a lot of work to do so I hope I don't get that little 16 hour cold many report after the shot.

Small headache after 1st, full Moderna flu after 2nd shot for me. Plan for a day off after the second one.

Thanks for the tips and well wishes, everyone.
30 minutes after first dose I'm normal as can be but I'll update later for anyone interested that may be considering Moderna.

Don't forget the antihistamines, Claritin helps to offset the reaction some.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I read somewhere that the first shot is usually worse than the second for those that have already had Covid. Anyone experience that here, just curious if it’s true.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(08-10-2021, 01:01 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I read somewhere that the first shot is usually worse than the second for those that have already had Covid. Anyone experience that here, just curious if it’s true.

So far that hasn't been the case for me with the Moderna shot #1. Still early in the day, but I got the shot at about 10:45AM today and I had/tested + for Covid back in mid-March. 

I have zero side effects or symptoms so far. Very minor soreness at injection spot. That's it. 

I'll update if it gets weird later.

I had mild symptoms of lethargy and body aches the day after my first shot of Pfizer. A good night's sleep cleared that up. Nothing on the second shot but a sore arm. My wife only got a sore arm from both. No symptoms at all.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021, 08:08 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-10-2021, 11:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Don't forget the antihistamines, Claritin helps to offset the reaction some.

I have a client that used to be head of a local hospital.  He now does something else I can’t quite comprehend. He’s back and forth from Texas And a couple cities in Fl.  He’s been doing Covid research and every now and then when I see him, he’ll give us info on his findings.  Long story short, at the beginning, there was an OTC nasal spray that I can’t recall, not the allergy stuff, that he had said helped with the Covid s.  He said to take it before and after events, meetings etc that could pose a risk to infection. Pretty sure it started with a “d”.  But your post reminded of it.  I’m not sure if this product works or not.  I’ll have to ask him him again. Who knows, his reasearch could now say otherwise.

FWIW The CDC doesn't recommend taking antihistamines before you get the vaccine. 

Considerations for Taking Medication before Getting Vaccinated

For most people, it is not recommended to avoid, discontinue, or delay medications for underlying medical conditions around the time of COVID-19 vaccination. However, your healthcare provider should talk to you about what is currently known and not known about the effectiveness of getting a COVID-19 vaccine when taking medications that suppress the immune system.

It is not recommended you take over-the-counter medicine – such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or acetaminophen – before vaccination for the purpose of trying to prevent vaccine-related side effects. It is not known how these medications might affect how well the vaccine works. However, if you take these medications regularly for other reasons, you should keep taking them before you get vaccinated. It is also not recommended to take antihistamines before getting a COVID-19 vaccine to try to prevent allergic reactions.

If you have questions about medications that you are taking, talk to your healthcare professional or your vaccination provider.

I took the Pfiezer.  1st shot was not a big deal.  The second shot put me down for about a day with "flu like" symptoms (fever, aches, etc.).  I noticed over the next few weeks that there were times when I was so lethargic that I didn't want to do a damn thing.  For the most part I think I'm back to my "normal self"... lazy, old and grumpy.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Got the Moderna shot yesterday AM - was fine all day/night.
Woke up this morning with headache, body aches, fever and chills. After 12 hours of that stuff, its seems to be mellowing. I reckon I'll be fine by tomorrow AM. Glad I planned a day off today. The fever and chills were kind of intense.

Fully vaccinated and went quickly once infected. 81-years-old. Perhaps age, genetics or other conditions abated the vaccine's effectiveness. Sounds like he was a good guy. 

Owner of Beck car dealerships in Palatka dies after contracting COVID-19 (news4jax.com)

(08-11-2021, 11:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Fully vaccinated and went quickly once infected. 81-years-old. Perhaps age, genetics or other conditions abated the vaccine's effectiveness. Sounds like he was a good guy. 

Owner of Beck car dealerships in Palatka dies after contracting COVID-19 (news4jax.com)

Not sure if there have been any studies of this but I'd bet the effectiveness of the vaccine decreases with comorbidities. A fellow I once worked with had a breakthrough case. He's just 50, but overweight with diabetes. He had it pretty rough but has mostly recovered.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2021, 08:15 AM by Lucky2Last.)

There's also some evidence to suggest the vaccines wane in effectiveness over time. I just skimmed through the article, but I didn't see anywhere that mentioned when he took his vaccine. We might be heading towards booster shots.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/booster...1628687318

“New data shows antibodies against Delta wane after 6-8m and breakthrough against Delta is rising,” Yee wrote. “We expect FDA to move to booster approvals.”

Mayo published a study indicating that the pfizer is less effective at preventing infections of the delta variant but the study group apparently consisted of 40% over 65 individuals so that likely skewed the results a bit. The results have yet to be peer reviewed.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pfizer-v...udy-2021-8
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Is there any correlation between Pfizer or Moderna when it comes to people getting sick from the shots? Or is it more genetics related?

(08-13-2021, 08:41 PM)Jags Wrote: Is there any correlation between Pfizer or Moderna when it comes to people getting sick from the shots?  Or is it more genetics related?

Getting "sick" from the shots is actually just an immune response.

Your immune system thinks you've been infected by a virus and begins taking steps to protect you from it. 
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK233000/

So - it's not so much genetics as it is the state of your immune system and how easily stimulated your T and B cells are.
I suppose genetics do affect your immune system's viability and everyone's immune system is unique in certain ways, but your immune system is affected by many other factors that may be more dynamic in nature than genetics.

TLDR - the health of your immune system and its subsequent level of response play a larger role than which shot you get

(08-11-2021, 12:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: FWIW The CDC doesn't recommend taking antihistamines before you get the vaccine. 

For most people, it is not recommended to avoid, discontinue, or delay medications for underlying medical conditions around the time of COVID-19 vaccination. However, your healthcare provider should talk to you about what is currently known and not known about the effectiveness of getting a COVID-19 vaccine when taking medications that suppress the immune system.

It is not recommended you take over-the-counter medicine – such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or acetaminophen – before vaccination for the purpose of trying to prevent vaccine-related side effects. It is not known how these medications might affect how well the vaccine works. However, if you take these medications regularly for other reasons, you should keep taking them before you get vaccinated. It is also not recommended to take antihistamines before getting a COVID-19 vaccine to try to prevent allergic reactions.

If you have questions about medications that you are taking, talk to your healthcare professional or your vaccination provider.

Yeah, I know it's off label advice, but anecdotally it's been helpful.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-14-2021, 05:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 12:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: FWIW The CDC doesn't recommend taking antihistamines before you get the vaccine. 

Yeah, I know it's off label advice, but anecdotally it's been helpful.

Anecdotally, my antihistamine has been labeled Jim Beam. 

I think I've been vaccinated too...I can't remember.