Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is the Miata a "chick car"?

I'm looking to get a roadster. I've had plenty of coupes in my day but never a two seater and am looking at several. 

So I looked at/test drove a Miata. It was fun to drive but probably won't go that route, it's way too small even for that class. A friend when they heard I drove it said, "ha, the Miata is a chick car" which got me thinking, what they hell makes it (or any car) a "chick car". Is it because of the way it looks and dudes are just supposed to drive ugly cars? I'm looking at a Z4 next, is that one too? Are all roadsters chick cars? Not that I care but just wondering what puts a particular vehicle in that category.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Miata is a legendary chick car. Also VW bug.

One test: could I transport a set of golf clubs in this car?

Miatas also had the reputation as a gay guy car. However, you see them quite a bit at road racing events. It’s a bad little car when modified.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2021, 10:39 AM by anonymous2112. Edited 1 time in total.)

No car with a clutch is a "chick car", but who cares if it is. Last I checked, girls drive real good too. And if you prefer to drive a golf cart, perhaps a well tuned roadster isn't for you.

I had a 1st gen one for a while, and it was a blast to drive as long as it wasn't freezing or roasting outside. I had it in my 40s, so when I got rid of it for an LS430, I didn't miss it. They aren't long on creature comforts. The miata wound up going to my nephew, who drove it for a while, got rid of it, and has been trying to replace it ever since. He tried an MR2 for a while, and has driven other vehicles in the category. He is looking for a 3rd generation miata with a hardtop. On the road track circuit, they're hard to beat.

I'd heard the Honda S2000 is the probably the best roadster, but it will be hard to find one, especially at a reasonable price. A Z-4 is a blast, but I can't do the BMW maintenance and repairs. I just don't trust them. Ditto for the Audi TT or Porsche Boxter. By the way, everyone I've ever known that owned a TT was female, for what that's worth.

American drop-top muscle cars like camaros, mustangs, and corvettes are all great for cruising around. They won't give you the same rush as one of the little roadsters. Hope you find a good one.

Jetta is also considered a chick car. 

In the 80s, to my recollection, a man was considered at the very least effeminate, and at the very most homosexual, if he was the owner of a Miata
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2021, 01:40 PM by Jagwired. Edited 1 time in total.)

No. Even women are to masculine for the Miata.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(07-31-2021, 01:37 PM)Jagwired Wrote: No. Even women are to masculine for the Miata.

I don't doubt there are a lot of people that think that. The question is..why? Does it all really just come down to the insecurities of the dudes that drive around with the metal ballls attached to their trailer hitches?

By the way, I wouldn't buy a Miata due to the lack of storage space but they are an absolute hoot to drive regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

The newer Miatas look plenty manly if that's a prerequisite, but even if the original NA models are more sleek than muscle, there's not a better handling roadster out there for the money. Sub-$5K gets you a car in great shape, probably already with a couple of aftermarket upgrades in place if that's your plan, and those things are great drivers on curvy roads (think mountains, tracks).

(07-31-2021, 10:38 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: No car with a clutch is a "chick car", but who cares if it is.  Last I checked, girls drive real good too.  And if you prefer to drive a golf cart, perhaps a well tuned roadster isn't for you.

I had a 1st gen one for a while, and it was a blast to drive as long as it wasn't freezing or roasting outside.  I had it in my 40s, so when I got rid of it for an LS430, I didn't miss it.  They aren't long on creature comforts.  The miata wound up going to my nephew, who drove it for a while, got rid of it, and has been trying to replace it ever since.  He tried an MR2 for a while, and has driven other vehicles in the category.  He is looking for a 3rd generation miata with a hardtop.  On the road track circuit, they're hard to beat.

I'd heard the Honda S2000 is the probably the best roadster, but it will be hard to find one, especially at a reasonable price.  A Z-4 is a blast, but I can't do the BMW maintenance and repairs.  I just don't trust them.  Ditto for the Audi TT or Porsche Boxter.  By the way, everyone I've ever known that owned a TT was female, for what that's worth.

American drop-top muscle cars like camaros, mustangs, and corvettes are all great for cruising around.  They won't give you the same rush as one of the little roadsters.  Hope you find a good one.

Us chicks can also drive a car with a clutch…shocker, I know.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(07-31-2021, 03:04 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Us chicks can also drive a car with a clutch…shocker, I know.

[Image: giphy.gif]

They're very popular out here with techies.

If I won one for some reason I'd trade it in for a Jeep Wrangler. If I won any vehicle I'd trade it in for a Wrangler though. I am not a car girl. I prefer trucks or the Wrangler. An SUV would be okay.

(07-31-2021, 04:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: If I won one for some reason I'd trade it in for a Jeep Wrangler. If I won any vehicle I'd trade it in for a Wrangler though. I am not a car girl. I prefer trucks or the Wrangler. An SUV would be okay.

I had a 2004 Wrangler. That was a fun ride although not a great commuter considering the rough highway ride and the 15 MPG.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2021, 09:36 PM by Jags. Edited 5 times in total.)

Forget everyone else’s input.  I’ll set you straight, my friend.  Yes it’s a chick car.  And I’m not talking hot “I drive an Altima or white SUV” chick.  Just a regular I don’t want to tap it kinda chick. Or perhaps they wouldn’t “tap” any dudes.  The vast majority of guys that drive one are 94.2% accurately defined as homosexual.  That’s a scientific fact.  Many studies have been done on that. Now, there’s some leeway here.  Not much, but some.    Now, someone above mentioned truck nuts.  I don’t agree with them.  However, if a proper set of truck nuts were mounted on a back of a Miata, I could totally see the humor in that.  As would the rest of the people out there judging Miata owners. In that case, I would let you slide. Like, we’d all know your Hetero  and still choose to rock the back-mobile. Which makes you cool.   So, there you have it. No need to thank me.  I’m just glad I could help.

(07-31-2021, 08:47 PM)Jags Wrote: Forget everyone else’s input.  I’ll set you straight, my friend.  Yes it’s a chick car.  And I’m not talking hot “I drive an Altima or white SUV” chick.  Just a regular I don’t want to tap it kinda chick. Or perhaps they wouldn’t “tap” any dudes.  The vast majority of guys that drive one are 94.2% accurately defined as homosexual.  That’s a scientific fact.  Many studies have been done on that. Now, there’s some leeway here.  Not much, but some.    Now, someone above mentioned truck nuts.  I don’t agree with them.  However, if a proper set of truck nuts were mounted on a back of a Miata, I could totally see the humor in that.  As would the rest of the people out there judging Miata owners. In that case, I would let you slide. Like, we’d all know your Herero and still choose to rock the back-mobile. Which makes you cool.   So, there you have it. No need to thank me.  I’m just glad I could help.

So in your opinion the Miata is a chick car because you've studied the matter intently and found that with the exception of an occasional person driving them ironically, its homosexuals that drive them. Hmmm. At least that's an attempt at an explanation although I think you're barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.

(07-31-2021, 09:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 08:47 PM)Jags Wrote: Forget everyone else’s input.  I’ll set you straight, my friend.  Yes it’s a chick car.  And I’m not talking hot “I drive an Altima or white SUV” chick.  Just a regular I don’t want to tap it kinda chick. Or perhaps they wouldn’t “tap” any dudes.  The vast majority of guys that drive one are 94.2% accurately defined as homosexual.  That’s a scientific fact.  Many studies have been done on that. Now, there’s some leeway here.  Not much, but some.    Now, someone above mentioned truck nuts.  I don’t agree with them.  However, if a proper set of truck nuts were mounted on a back of a Miata, I could totally see the humor in that.  As would the rest of the people out there judging Miata owners. In that case, I would let you slide. Like, we’d all know your Herero and still choose to rock the back-mobile. Which makes you cool.   So, there you have it. No need to thank me.  I’m just glad I could help.

So in your opinion the Miata is a chick car because you've studied the matter intently and found that with the exception of an occasional person driving them ironically, its homosexuals that drive them. Hmmm. At least that's an attempt at an explanation although I think you're barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.

He left out the part about how he owns two of them.

I can’t say I see a lot of females driving them, but I’m also in Riverside so…
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Not if it identifies as a Corvette...

(07-31-2021, 05:16 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 04:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: If I won one for some reason I'd trade it in for a Jeep Wrangler. If I won any vehicle I'd trade it in for a Wrangler though. I am not a car girl. I prefer trucks or the Wrangler. An SUV would be okay.

I had a 2004 Wrangler. That was a fun ride although not a great commuter considering the rough highway ride and the 15 MPG.

Truth. Though now that I'm living in a small town that's not an issue for me. I had a brand new '06 after driving a '94 into the ground but lost it in a divorce. I was more upset about that than the divorce.

I've always heard the Miata called a "chick car".  I don't know about that.  My sister-in-law used to own one and I drove it a couple of times.  I kind of felt like I was driving a go-cart.  It was fun, just not something that I would want to own.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.