Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is the Miata a "chick car"?

(08-01-2021, 06:08 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: I've always heard the Miata called a "chick car".  I don't know about that.  My sister-in-law used to own one and I drove it a couple of times.  I kind of felt like I was driving a go-cart.  It was fun, just not something that I would want to own.

I test drove a 21 with a stick, no less. Loads of fun but tiny and no storage space. Also relatively loud even with the top up but I would consider one as a third car if I was going to have a third car. People apparently mod them and track them as a thing and they have a huge cult following.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-31-2021, 09:42 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 09:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: So in your opinion the Miata is a chick car because you've studied the matter intently and found that with the exception of an occasional person driving them ironically, its homosexuals that drive them. Hmmm. At least that's an attempt at an explanation although I think you're barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.

He left out the part about how he owns two of them.

One for each foot! They make great roller skates.

(07-31-2021, 09:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 08:47 PM)Jags Wrote: Forget everyone else’s input.  I’ll set you straight, my friend.  Yes it’s a chick car.  And I’m not talking hot “I drive an Altima or white SUV” chick.  Just a regular I don’t want to tap it kinda chick. Or perhaps they wouldn’t “tap” any dudes.  The vast majority of guys that drive one are 94.2% accurately defined as homosexual.  That’s a scientific fact.  Many studies have been done on that. Now, there’s some leeway here.  Not much, but some.    Now, someone above mentioned truck nuts.  I don’t agree with them.  However, if a proper set of truck nuts were mounted on a back of a Miata, I could totally see the humor in that.  As would the rest of the people out there judging Miata owners. In that case, I would let you slide. Like, we’d all know your Herero and still choose to rock the back-mobile. Which makes you cool.   So, there you have it. No need to thank me.  I’m just glad I could help.

So in your opinion the Miata is a chick car because you've studied the matter intently and found that with the exception of an occasional person driving them ironically, its homosexuals that drive them. Hmmm. At least that's an attempt at an explanation although I think you're barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.

I don’t think anyone here was getting the gay impression from you.  I didn’t mean to suggest that.  I guess it was a long way of saying what a bunch of others already said in a light manner. But yes, they get a rap for being a chick or gay car. Like lifted trucks get a rap of a dude that is compensating.  I wouldn’t be too concerned about what others think, not that you are or anything

Women are smaller than men. The Miata is smaller than most cars.
Women are smoother and curvier than men. The first couple generations of the Miata didn't have any sharp corners, everything was rounded.
So the car comes across as very feminine. The newer ones are a little tougher looking but still feminine.
But you should drive what you want, nothing wrong with a man driving a feminine car if he wants to, just like there's nothing wrong with Americus driving that manly Wrangler she used to drive .
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

My wife loved hers.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-01-2021, 07:24 AM)Jags Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 09:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: So in your opinion the Miata is a chick car because you've studied the matter intently and found that with the exception of an occasional person driving them ironically, its homosexuals that drive them. Hmmm. At least that's an attempt at an explanation although I think you're barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.

I don’t think anyone here was getting the gay impression from you.  I didn’t mean to suggest that.  I guess it was a long way of saying what a bunch of others already said in a light manner. But yes, they get a rap for being a chick or gay car. Like lifted trucks get a rap of a dude that is compensating.  I wouldn’t be too concerned about what others think, not that you are or anything

Gotcha, no worries bro. I wouldn’t get a Miata for a couple of different reasons but none of those had anything to do with it being a chick car. It just always made me laugh how certain cars are identified with certain drivers and thought it would be interesting to get people’s opinions. Anyway, thinking I’ll go with a Z4. That might be a girl’s car too but I like it, it’s a ragtop and the M40i version is quicker than my old 2011 Mustang GT.

I've seen manly men driving miatas and girly girls driving big trucks. The only stereotype about cars that always seems to hold true is that BMW drivers are jerks.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2021, 12:55 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-01-2021, 12:05 PM)mikesez Wrote: I've seen manly men driving miatas and girly girls driving big trucks. The only stereotype about cars that always seems to hold true is that BMW drivers are jerks.

You’re supposed to position the rear view mirror as to see the cars/traffic behind you, not so that you can see yourself.

(08-01-2021, 10:48 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 07:24 AM)Jags Wrote: I don’t think anyone here was getting the gay impression from you.  I didn’t mean to suggest that.  I guess it was a long way of saying what a bunch of others already said in a light manner. But yes, they get a rap for being a chick or gay car. Like lifted trucks get a rap of a dude that is compensating.  I wouldn’t be too concerned about what others think, not that you are or anything

Gotcha, no worries bro. I wouldn’t get a Miata for a couple of different reasons but none of those had anything to do with it being a chick car. It just always made me laugh how certain cars are identified with certain drivers and thought it would be interesting to get people’s opinions. Anyway, thinking I’ll go with a Z4. That might be a girl’s car too but I like it, it’s a ragtop and the M40i version is quicker than my old 2011 Mustang GT.

For the record, I personally lumped the Z4 in the same category as the Miata.  Just a nicer higher end version.  Idk if others have or not.  Again, none of that matters as long as you like it and are happy with it.   I say go for it and not even think about what others wrongfully think. 

BTW, Mike just called you a jerk.  Big Grin

(08-01-2021, 12:49 PM)Jags Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 10:48 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Gotcha, no worries bro. I wouldn’t get a Miata for a couple of different reasons but none of those had anything to do with it being a chick car. It just always made me laugh how certain cars are identified with certain drivers and thought it would be interesting to get people’s opinions. Anyway, thinking I’ll go with a Z4. That might be a girl’s car too but I like it, it’s a ragtop and the M40i version is quicker than my old 2011 Mustang GT.

For the record, I personally lumped the Z4 in the same category as the Miata.  Just a nicer higher end version.  Idk if others have or not.  Again, none of that matters as long as you like it and are happy with it.   I say go for it and not even think about what others wrongfully think. 

BTW, Mike just called you a jerkBig Grin

And damn proud of it too!  Wink

(08-01-2021, 06:08 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: I've always heard the Miata called a "chick car".  I don't know about that.  My sister-in-law used to own one and I drove it a couple of times.  I kind of felt like I was driving a go-cart.  It was fun, just not something that I would want to own.

This is one of the best descriptions of a Miata I've ever read. I could see myself buying one if the circumstances and price were both exactly right, but even as a weekend fun car, there are others I'd consider first. As a daily driver, absolutely not.

(08-01-2021, 01:42 PM)TJBender Wrote:

This is one of the best descriptions of a Miata I've ever read. I could see myself buying one if the circumstances and price were both exactly right, but even as a weekend fun car, there are others I'd consider first. As a daily driver, absolutely not.

Thanks for the compliment.

I've always been a "truck guy" since my high school years.  I own a couple of them, not for any kind of "compensation".  I use them both for working on our property quite a bit as well as one of them being my daily driver.  It's a Ford F-150 Platinum that rides and handles better than any of our other vehicles including my wife's Nissan Pathfinder.  She just retired this weekend and since we are moving out to the homestead/ranch/farm in a few weeks she wants to trade her Pathfinder in for an F-150.  The problem is, there are none to be had at the moment.

On a side note, I never thought that I would consider an electric vehicle, but the new electric F-150 has caught my interest.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-01-2021, 09:28 AM)mikesez Wrote: Women are smaller than men. The Miata is smaller than most cars.
Women are smoother and curvier than men. The first couple generations of the Miata didn't have any sharp corners, everything was rounded.
So the car comes across as very feminine. The newer ones are a little tougher looking but still feminine.
But you should drive what you want, nothing wrong with a man driving a feminine car if he wants to, just like there's nothing wrong with Americus driving that manly Wrangler she used to drive .

This is probably the closest to the real reason for the perception than anything else in this thread. People anthropomorphize their cars. Seems a bit strange but I guess it's human nature.

(08-01-2021, 02:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 01:42 PM)TJBender Wrote: This is one of the best descriptions of a Miata I've ever read. I could see myself buying one if the circumstances and price were both exactly right, but even as a weekend fun car, there are others I'd consider first. As a daily driver, absolutely not.

Thanks for the compliment.

I've always been a "truck guy" since my high school years.  I own a couple of them, not for any kind of "compensation".  I use them both for working on our property quite a bit as well as one of them being my daily driver.  It's a Ford F-150 Platinum that rides and handles better than any of our other vehicles including my wife's Nissan Pathfinder.  She just retired this weekend and since we are moving out to the homestead/ranch/farm in a few weeks she wants to trade her Pathfinder in for an F-150.  The problem is, there are none to be had at the moment.

On a side note, I never thought that I would consider an electric vehicle, but the new electric F-150 has caught my interest.

My only gripe about the electric F-150 is that they are calling it the “Lighting”.  Having had the lightning in the past and coming out with an electric truck, I say call it something different. Sure, many people loved the old lightning, but who are you marketing it to?  The old lightning fanboys or the green peeps? As it is electric, I’m sure it’ll be quick due to electric’s nature.  Thus, still in the “lightning” of past spirit.  I just wish they had a gas option.  

I really hope Chevy comes out with an electric truck with solar panels.  They can call it the Silver”ray”do!  I’ll copyright the name and sue their [BLEEP],  I mean retire early!   Gotta admit, that would be a good name for it.

Drive what you like, MJ.

If people criticize you for driving une voiture de fille, just paint some flames on the side, put chrome spikes on the rims, get a lift kit, maybe attach a coffee can to the exhaust. BOOM, dudemobile.

I've been in a Miata once in my life, and the abstention was never about any insecurity with my masculinity. I'm 6'2", and have never felt less safe in a vehicle. I like a little leg and noggin room.

(08-02-2021, 09:07 AM)Mikey Wrote: Drive what you like, MJ.

If people criticize you for driving une voiture de fille, just paint some flames on the side, put chrome spikes on the rims, get a lift kit, maybe attach a coffee can to the exhaust. BOOM, dudemobile.

I've been in a Miata once in my life, and the abstention was never about any insecurity with my masculinity. I'm 6'2", and have never felt less safe in a vehicle. I like a little leg and noggin room.

A new 'Vette was always my 'cream car'.  Up until I tried to get into one.  AT 6'5" I just flat-out didn't fit.  I understand that they are more roomy than when I tried to get into one 20'ish years ago, but I've moved of to my full-size pickup phase.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Again, this thread was never about what I would drive or not drive based on perceptions. I'm secure enough and old enough to not be influenced by that sort of thing, lol.

The thread was meant to be about why people identify certain cars with certain drivers. The responses have been interesting and frequently entertaining. I suspect the dichotomy I'm hearing goes a long way towards explaining a lot about our society in general.

(08-02-2021, 09:40 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:

Again, this thread was never about what I would drive or not drive based on perceptions. I'm secure enough and old enough to not be influenced by that sort of thing, lol.

The thread was meant to be about why people identify certain cars with certain drivers. The responses have been interesting and frequently entertaining. I suspect the dichotomy I'm hearing goes a long way towards explaining a lot about our society in general.

If you are looking for a gender-stereotyped vehicle, though, the old Suzuki Sidekick has to be in the conversation.

It's the perfect vehicle for someone who thinks dogs were meant to be carried around in a purse.  Big Grin

(08-02-2021, 10:42 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-02-2021, 09:40 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Again, this thread was never about what I would drive or not drive based on perceptions. I'm secure enough and old enough to not be influenced by that sort of thing, lol.

If you are looking for a gender-stereotyped vehicle, though, the old Suzuki Sidekick has to be in the conversation.

It's the perfect vehicle for someone who thinks dogs were meant to be carried around in a purse.  Big Grin

And what about the Subaru Outback? Isn’t it the preferred car for lesbians?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Speaking of stereotypes, I own a RAM 3/4 ton. Got some funny looks when I pullied up to the Mazda dealer and asked to test drive a Miata.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2021, 12:03 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

The Mazda Miata is one of the best cheap sports cars available.

It's got the ability to take curves, the power to straighten yourself out on the straightaways with a fun little wiggle as it does... it's a great little car.

That being said... it's like a moped.

They sure are fun to drive.. but you don't want your buddies seeing you in one.