Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Observations from the first half at Browns VS Jags

-Lawrence had the rookie jitters. Manning threw 28 ints his rookie year. Qb is hard to play so not surprised he looked iffy. He had some big throws on 3rd down. Huge play to Jones for 35 yards.

-Run defense looks much improved. Cullen has these guys flying to the ball! Probably the bright spot of the draft.

-Pass defense maybe an issue. A very young inexperienced secondary paired with a lack of pass rush. I just hope this was because of the vanilla defense they are playing.

- Jags can't stop the screen pass. At least 5 times the defense was gashed by the screen. Every times the Browns ran the screen it worked.

- Offensive line is a major issue to nobody's surprise. Both Lawrence and Minshew were hurried multiple times

-Secondary was a mixed bag. Henderson, griffin, and Cisco stood out. Campbell got embarrassed in the end zone. 

-MINSHEW was mediocre. Missed a big play opportunity.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 08:49 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Let's see what happens in the second

Jags still the Jags we know and love

When Lawrence threw it up to Jones, the line gave him all day to throw.

Tebow is the only excitment left.

My observation is some of these 'fans' are worse than the team..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

About what I expected. A new staff, a bunch of new players, a new system vs a very good veteran team equals some Shakey moments...I thought Lawrence looked ok for a preseason rookie debut. Love Shanault. TE is still an issue. Wanted to see more pressure from the DL. Did Josh Allen play?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-14-2021, 09:09 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: When Lawrence threw it up to Jones, the line gave him all day to throw.

True but look how many they gave the QB's less than 3 seconds.

(08-14-2021, 09:36 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: About what I expected. A new staff, a bunch of new players, a new system vs a very good veteran team equals some Shakey moments...I thought Lawrence looked ok for a preseason rookie debut. Love Shanault. TE is still an issue. Wanted to see more pressure from the DL. Did Josh Allen play?

Yea Allen played, but not for long and he was dropping into coverage on the majority of the snaps he played.

I thought they had a little bit of a deer in the headlights look. 

DLine looks much bigger. Secondary looks faster.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 09:53 PM by Upper.)

We legit should have doubled down on OTs in the draft. Several of us loved Cosmi and he had a killer first preseason game too. Pass on ETN and Cosmi and Little would be looking pretty darn good right about now.

As much as losing sucks, I'm glad these players and coaches are going through some adversity with this loss - even if the play time and play-calling may have been held back because of preseason.

I'm looking forward to how Urban and co approach the upcoming days and see how the players adjust. Again, it's just preseason but the winning mindset begins here.

A lot to learn from this game and most importantly, no major injuries incurred.

Walker little also played well in the second half. CJ may get the Job over minshew as the backup.

If things remain equal, Beathard should be the backup. Minshew looked pretty bad. Trevor can make throws neither of the other two can.

I was pleased with the defense. It was obviously less aggressive than the team has been describing. Henderson and Griffin played well, and the run D was dominant and attacking the ball. I take it with a grain of salt because it was against backups, but the young team needs live reps to hit a groove and get a feel for each other. The only concerning thing to me (other than the screens) was Campbell losing the ball in the end zone, which was a pretty big criticism of him on draft day.

Overall, not a terrible showing from a team in flux. If Urban is who he's supposed to be, we'll look a lot better in week 1.

The first half tells me Walker Little will be starting sooner than later.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Henderson showed up. Eat it haters. TLaw wasn't perfect but had a couple plays where it was like, "oh yeah, he's the dude".
Minshew is toast I think. No trade value, no real reason to be #2. And I've been a big Minshew guy.
Run D love it.
Griffin good. Campbell and Jones a bit of a.mixed bag.
Walker Little good. Watch out Robinson, another guy I've been a staunch defender of. Dare I say we missed Norwell today early?
Pass rush in general was much like last year close but no cigar.

Can we stop a screen?

Also, touching back on Minshew though.... Is our playbook completely different for him? Seemed so.
Also... Where was Tebow?
All in all... First preseason game so nothing to draw from for long term but some good and some bad to set the table for the next one.
I wanna see more TLaw in the next game. Preferably with more OL starters (or Walker Little) and more James Rob.
Also I think Griffin and Henderson will be starters on outside. Campbell still has some rookie stuff to work through

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 12:22 AM by Jagsfan32277. Edited 5 times in total.)

(08-14-2021, 11:03 PM)Kane Wrote: Also, touching back on Minshew though.... Is our playbook completely different for him? 

Quick out to the sidelines, short quick laser slants, intermediate and deep passes especially in tight windows are thrown out the playbook.

Initiate dump off passes to the flat, underthrown jump ball sideline parachute passes, and improvise thow on the run plays.

(08-15-2021, 12:17 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 11:03 PM)Kane Wrote: Also, touching back on Minshew though.... Is our playbook completely different for him? 

Quick out to the sidelines, short quick laser slants, intermediate and deep passes especially in tight windows are thrown out the playbook.

Initiate dump off passes to the flat, underthrown jump ball sideline parachute passes, and improvise thow on the run plays.

Minshew is what he is, a player with smarts and moxy and determination but a noodle arm. He'll kick around the league for a few more years and then maybe go into coaching at the college level.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Little should play RT this season and then take over at LT next year. Taylor is probably the worst starter on the OLine.

Something I thought was cool is when I went to check my ATT.net email, the Jaguars are trending at #1 atm.. Many must've wanted to see how our shiny new QB did.

Speaking of, TLaw didn't pass the eye test yesterday. Yeah, I get it.. preseason and only 9 attempts, but you still want to see a flash and the only really strong play of the night was when he had an eternity to throw. He held the ball forever on a few plays and timing seemed off. Hopefully when he gets more play time next week he can get into a rhythm.