Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Browns Preseason Game

We've been waiting for this moment since January.  We knew the first overall pick was ours and that we'd likely use it on Trevor Lawrence.  Once we found out Urban Meyer would become the coach, whether we like the UM hire or not, we all wanted to see the new era, especially QB Trevor Lawrence.  Now at last, we get our first glimpse of this promising new era in game action.

Here are some of my thoughts...

1.  Though it's just a color, it was nice to see the Jaguars in teal again.  My preference is for the teal jerseys and white pants, but this uniform combo was okay.

2.  We got our first look at the defense first.  One of the things that jumped out to me immediately was how often the corners were up on the WRs.  For years, people would complain about how soft the coverage would be with our CBs playing off the ball.  That doesn't seem to be a characteristic of this scheme, as I rarely saw the CBs play off the ball very far in this game.  Perhaps that is more a function of the Browns' starters not being in the game, but those who were tired of the vanilla scheme of past Jaguars' defensive coordinators like Wash may like Cullen's schemes a little better.  That said, we really couldn't get any stops.  We controlled the run okay, but the Browns converted a lot of 3rd downs and extended drives.

3.  The first thing that stuck out to me about the new offensive scheme is how often the Jaguars were in 4 WR sets.  Bevell was OC in Seattle, where there was a heavy emphasis on the running game.  I'm not sure what he did in Detroit....so I'm not sure if the approach-even in this early point-was part of UM's influence on the offense, whether it was a capitulation to having TL as our QB, whether the coaches wanted to get some particular things done offensively, or some combination of the above.  But like the defense, the initial impression I am  getting is a more aggressive posture.

4.  CJ Henderson has been the subject of a lot of negative speculation this pffseason as a whole, and including this week, as trade rumors circulated in the press and on message boards.  Defensive assistant Charlie Strong said the team would do everything they could to get Henderson on track.  It seems the efforts have paid off, because henderson had a fine game.  his two PBUs on 3rd downs were things of beauty, reminiscent of his game against Indy in last year's season opener.  I can only hope he keeps
that up.

5.  Another veteran DBs who put on a good show was Sidney Jones.  While fighting the injury bug last year, he played well for us as a midseason pickup.  Tonight, he had good plays in pass defense and in run support.  I expect Jones to make this team and be a key contributor to this defense. 

6.  One thing that was not so good was the pass protection.  Many of us were adamant that the team address the offensive line in a significant way this offseason.  Tonight was but the latest reminder of why that was the case.  The team gave up sacks on each of the team's first three possessions against the Browns' second team defensive ends.  On the first play, while TL could have gotten rid of the ball quicker, the DL pretty much collapsed around him.  While technically I think Cann gave up the sack on that play, the line was pushed back into TL's face.  The second sack was just flat out bad, as Taylor was flat out beat for a sack.  There weren't many runs, though the team did a good job on Robinson's 9 yard run.  The pass protection must improve.

7.  Rookie Watch:
     A.  Trevor Lawrence-at long last, Jaguars fans caught a glimpse of the future, and he did not disappoint.  He showed toughness in taking those two sacks and getting up from them without issue.  He showed poise in converting 3rd downs after taking those sacks, hitting an out to Marvin Jones, and later hitting Jones on a 35 yard pass.  On that 35 yard pass, nobody was open initially, and he had a chance to possible scramble for a first down, like many rookies or young QBs would do.  Instead he continued to scan the field and read the defense and wait for a receiver to come open.  He wasn't perfect.  I mentioned earlier about how he could have gotten rid of the ball earlier on that first sack.  There was another pass to the right he overthrew.  On another incompletion to the left, he could have stepped up in the pocket and instead went outside the tackle.  But I certainly did not see the skittishness the writer thought he saw.  Overall he was good...6-9 overall.  One thing I noticed was I guess my own reaction.  In years' past, a sack early in a series would serve to extinguish hope in the drive succeeding.  But the sacks he suffered early on didn't send me into any sort of despair in terms of the success of the series.  Don't get me wrong...I was dismayed beyond measure that TL got hit in the first place (especially twice in one quarter).  But once he got up from those sacks, I didn't really worry about whether we'd convert.  I always felt we had a chance to continue the drive...and he made plays to continue the drives.  I'm happy with what I saw of him.

B.   Travis Etienne-didn't see much from him.  He had a two yard run, which was pretty good as far as two yard runs are concerned, but anyone looking for fireworks from him was disappointed.

C.  Tyson Campbell-had a game that epitomized all of the good and bad the scouting reports said about him.  Has good length and showed pretty good coverage ability and had a nice pass breakup.  however, he got beat for a TD on a play where he had good position but somehow couldn't manage to make a play on the ball.

D.  Walker Little-played LT in the second half and looked pretty good for the most part.  On the TD pass, he would have been beaten badly on the inside, but Derwin Gray was there to pick off the rusher.  Was off balance on the two point conversion attempt,  but otherwise was effective, if someone awkward looking.  Opened a nice hole on a running play.

E.  Andre Cisco-had an active night with a pass breakup and was in tight coverage underneath for much of the game.

F.  Jay Tufele-I did not see the wide array of moves that some observers wrote about.  What I did see was a good burst and explosiveness off the snap/quickness off the ball.

G.  Jordan Smith-I remember not being too crazy about this pick in the immediate aftermath of the selection.  However, I thought he played well tonight.  He did a good job crashing in from the outside to shut down a run.  I just wish he arrived and hit with more force, because the back was able to advance the ball some after the hit.  I saw the anti Tayen Bryan, as Smith showed excellent awareness, and paired that awareness with some athleticism on a batted down pass.

H.  Luke Farrell-I think he had a catch and got open underneath on a pass that went deeper.

I.  Jalen camp-had a catch....about 9 yards.

8.  I think it's interesting that these late addition receivers like treadwell, Tayvon Austin and Pharoah Cooper continue to make plays.  Conversely, Collin Johnson not only did not have any catches (to my knowledge), his penalty brought back a long kickoff return.

9.  Special teams were so so.  Logan Cook had some good punts, but Lambo missed a FG.  There were two long returns negated by penalty-one allowed and one made by us.

10.  Happy Birthday Tebow.  Too bad you didn't have any catches and your attempt to block on that sunning play was not good.  On the other hand, I think evey other TE caught at least one pass (Shaunessey didn't play-at least I don't think.)

11.  The more I see of Gotsis, the more I like him.  Thought he and Ekuale both had good games.

12.  Injury watch:  I saw Tre Herndon, Wingard, and Ross go down with injuries.  Hopefully none are too serious, though the Ross injury looked bad.

13.  In trouble-this is a new category I'm trying out.  Not designed to bash a player, but serves as a stock down sort of topic.  Collin Johnson, Jawaan Taylor and Taven bryan did not help themselves.

14.  Bottom line:  While the bottom line results were disappointing, I can't say I am disappointed at the main attraction-Trevor Lawrencel.  Despite the lackluster performances overall, there were some things to be excited about.  Trevor Lawrence was good, as was the run defense.  I think the secondary has some promise, though I did not like the passing yards and lack of stops overall.  It's a marathon, not a sprint, but I want to see overall improvement.  But I'm thrilled we finally have football back tp debate and discuss.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I have a sense of the same ole bad game-play from the Jaguars...I hope this season turns things around...

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 11:07 PM by jvillejagsn1. Edited 2 times in total.)

Like with every year, game 1 is over analyzed and over valued by fans (not you Bullseye, but the complainers). But it’s good the players took it so seriously. You could see TL hate we lost. I don’t think I’ve seen any of our qbs really look upset that we lost a preseason game. But, we’ll know where we stand more with game 3 and week 1. Can’t wait for opener with Denver. Hopefully we’ll be 1-0 at that point Smile
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Said in the other thread, i really think ppl are quick to write off Henderson, kid can flat out PLAY!! he had 2 deaths of ppl close to him in quick succession this summer; and lets be honest that kind of greif can take its toll on anyone. I think most on this board are too quick to write him off as the next Blackmon etc. Barring a trade for Michael Thomas, i think he has the support structure in place (and the belief from Strong Urban etc.) And will end up being a great player for the Jags. He definitely has the edge over Campbell whos shined in camp but didnt further himself tn
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I think if Little earns his way onto the line on one side or another sooner than later.

I think Henderson is one of our top two CBs still and the rookie Campbell will have to wait his turn. Henderson and Griffin start the season on the outside. His absence has been overblown in the worst way with speculation.

I don't think Etienne was used enough or properly and Hyde was given too many snaps but that may be a personal preference thing. Hyde is a spell for Robinson. Etienne needs more chances in preseason to shine, imo.

I never thought Tebow had a legit chance at the 53 and tonight didn't change that at all.

TLaw, as great as he is, is still a rookie. But by mid season I expect fireworks.

I think the WR group from spots 4-6 are wide open... Anyone has a chance including newcomer Tavon Austin.

Run D good, pass rush meh. Here's hoping vanilla scheme had something to do with it but also getting worked by screens was bothersome

Would be interested in the focal points drawn up for this game. If stout rush defense was one, they checked that off pretty good.

ETN showed his speed/hustle to chase down the ball and force a fumble on that Minshew INT at the end of the 1st half.

The faster Cisco replaces Josh Jones at Safety the better. Cisco and Jenkins should be the starters at Safety going forward. I like Wilson and think he's solid, but Cisco just has far more upside. Josh Jones has always been an underwear warrior.

Lawrence had some typical rookie bumps. Held the ball too long on one of those sacks and missed Marvin Jones badly on another pass, but he pretty much showed what you wanted to see in just 2 series of play from a young top draft pick QB. Got put in a couple 3rd and longs and converted them. Made a beautiful throw that not a lot of QBs can make.

DL is going to be much better at the point of attack than in past seasons. They brought in some major beef upfront and it showed early. They only allowed 11 yards rushing on 8 or 9 carries at one point early on.

OT position is still a work in progress, as most of us figured. Little just might be pushing for one of those spots real soon. Hopefully he gets some snaps with the 1s in the next game, ideally at LT and RT.

Herndon left with a knee injury, Wingard left with a concussion and I didn't see the Ross injury.

I seen it going around on twitter that somebody called Henderson the most talented CB on this roster and he's definitely right. The problem is, can CJ put all that talent/ability together and get his head right is the question. Can he shake off whatever hes got going on? We shall see, but he makes that DB room better.

Only 9 more days until preseason game #2 against the Saints.

(08-15-2021, 12:50 AM)Eric1 Wrote: ETN showed his speed/hustle to chase down the ball and force a fumble on that Minshew INT at the end of the 1st half.

The faster Cisco replaces Josh Jones at Safety the better. Cisco and Jenkins should be the starters at Safety going forward. I like Wilson and think he's solid, but Cisco just has far more upside. Josh Jones has always been an underwear warrior.

Lawrence had some typical rookie bumps. Held the ball too long on one of those sacks and missed Marvin Jones badly on another pass, but he pretty much showed what you wanted to see in just 2 series of play from a young top draft pick QB. Got put in a couple 3rd and longs and converted them. Made a beautiful throw that not a lot of QBs can make.

DL is going to be much better at the point of attack than in past seasons. They brought in some major beef upfront and it showed early. They only allowed 11 yards rushing on 8 or 9 carries at one point early on.

OT position is still a work in progress, as most of us figured. Little just might be pushing for one of those spots real soon. Hopefully he gets some snaps with the 1s in the next game, ideally at LT and RT.

Herndon left with a knee injury, Wingard left with a concussion and I didn't see the Ross injury.

I seen it going around on twitter that somebody called Henderson the most talented CB on this roster and he's definitely right. The problem is, can CJ put all that talent/ability together and get his head right is the question. Can he shake off whatever hes got going on? We shall see, but he makes that DB room better.

Ross took a cut block to his knee. It didn't look good.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(08-15-2021, 12:53 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 12:50 AM)Eric1 Wrote: ETN showed his speed/hustle to chase down the ball and force a fumble on that Minshew INT at the end of the 1st half.

Ross took a cut block to his knee. It didn't look good.

Rough, those rarely end up being good.

We might need to keep 6-7 WR's. Austin was balling out.

So glad CJ had a game tonight. Hopefully this silenced people for just one week. Lot of chicken little this week.

(08-15-2021, 01:33 AM)JaguarWC Wrote: We might need to keep 6-7 WR's. Austin was balling out.
With a bunch of 4 WR sets, it's a given

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

The secondary looked fantastic and deep.It seemed like every player who has a shot at making the roster can play man. They also gave great run support.

Run defense is much improved but pass rush looks like last year.No one is getting home.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 02:51 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-14-2021, 10:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: We've been waiting for this moment since January.  We knew the first overall pick was ours and that we'd likely use it on Trevor Lawrence.  Once we found out Urban Meyer would become the coach, whether we like the UM hire or not, we all wanted to see the new era, especially QB Trevor Lawrence.  Now at last, we get our first glimpse of this promising new era in game action.

Here are some of my thoughts...

1.  Though it's just a color, it was nice to see the Jaguars in teal again.  My preference is for the teal jerseys and white pants, but this uniform combo was okay.

2.  We got our first look at the defense first.  One of the things that jumped out to me immediately was how often the corners were up on the WRs.  For years, people would complain about how soft the coverage would be with our CBs playing off the ball.  That doesn't seem to be a characteristic of this scheme, as I rarely saw the CBs play off the ball very far in this game.  Perhaps that is more a function of the Browns' starters not being in the game, but those who were tired of the vanilla scheme of past Jaguars' defensive coordinators like Wash may like Cullen's schemes a little better.  That said, we really couldn't get any stops.  We controlled the run okay, but the Browns converted a lot of 3rd downs and extended drives.

3.  The first thing that stuck out to me about the new offensive scheme is how often the Jaguars were in 4 WR sets.  Bevell was OC in Seattle, where there was a heavy emphasis on the running game.  I'm not sure what he did in Detroit....so I'm not sure if the approach-even in this early point-was part of UM's influence on the offense, whether it was a capitulation to having TL as our QB, whether the coaches wanted to get some particular things done offensively, or some combination of the above.  But like the defense, the initial impression I am  getting is a more aggressive posture.

4.  CJ Henderson has been the subject of a lot of negative speculation this pffseason as a whole, and including this week, as trade rumors circulated in the press and on message boards.  Defensive assistant Charlie Strong said the team would do everything they could to get Henderson on track.  It seems the efforts have paid off, because henderson had a fine game.  his two PBUs on 3rd downs were things of beauty, reminiscent of his game against Indy in last year's season opener.  I can only hope he keeps
that up.

5.  Another veteran DBs who put on a good show was Sidney Jones.  While fighting the injury bug last year, he played well for us as a midseason pickup.  Tonight, he had good plays in pass defense and in run support.  I expect Jones to make this team and be a key contributor to this defense. 

6.  One thing that was not so good was the pass protection.  Many of us were adamant that the team address the offensive line in a significant way this offseason.  Tonight was but the latest reminder of why that was the case.  The team gave up sacks on each of the team's first three possessions against the Browns' second team defensive ends.  On the first play, while TL could have gotten rid of the ball quicker, the DL pretty much collapsed around him.  While technically I think Cann gave up the sack on that play, the line was pushed back into TL's face.  The second sack was just flat out bad, as Taylor was flat out beat for a sack.  There weren't many runs, though the team did a good job on Robinson's 9 yard run.  The pass protection must improve.

7.  Rookie Watch:
     A.  Trevor Lawrence-at long last, Jaguars fans caught a glimpse of the future, and he did not disappoint.  He showed toughness in taking those two sacks and getting up from them without issue.  He showed poise in converting 3rd downs after taking those sacks, hitting an out to Marvin Jones, and later hitting Jones on a 35 yard pass.  On that 35 yard pass, nobody was open initially, and he had a chance to possible scramble for a first down, like many rookies or young QBs would do.  Instead he continued to scan the field and read the defense and wait for a receiver to come open.  He wasn't perfect.  I mentioned earlier about how he could have gotten rid of the ball earlier on that first sack.  There was another pass to the right he overthrew.  On another incompletion to the left, he could have stepped up in the pocket and instead went outside the tackle.  But I certainly did not see the skittishness the writer thought he saw.  Overall he was good...6-9 overall.  One thing I noticed was I guess my own reaction.  In years' past, a sack early in a series would serve to extinguish hope in the drive succeeding.  But the sacks he suffered early on didn't send me into any sort of despair in terms of the success of the series.  Don't get me wrong...I was dismayed beyond measure that TL got hit in the first place (especially twice in one quarter).  But once he got up from those sacks, I didn't really worry about whether we'd convert.  I always felt we had a chance to continue the drive...and he made plays to continue the drives.  I'm happy with what I saw of him.

B.   Travis Etienne-didn't see much from him.  He had a two yard run, which was pretty good as far as two yard runs are concerned, but anyone looking for fireworks from him was disappointed.

C.  Tyson Campbell-had a game that epitomized all of the good and bad the scouting reports said about him.  Has good length and showed pretty good coverage ability and had a nice pass breakup.  however, he got beat for a TD on a play where he had good position but somehow couldn't manage to make a play on the ball.

D.  Walker Little-played LT in the second half and looked pretty good for the most part.  On the TD pass, he would have been beaten badly on the inside, but Derwin Gray was there to pick off the rusher.  Was off balance on the two point conversion attempt,  but otherwise was effective, if someone awkward looking.  Opened a nice hole on a running play.

E.  Andre Cisco-had an active night with a pass breakup and was in tight coverage underneath for much of the game.

F.  Jay Tufele-I did not see the wide array of moves that some observers wrote about.  What I did see was a good burst and explosiveness off the snap/quickness off the ball.

G.  Jordan Smith-I remember not being too crazy about this pick in the immediate aftermath of the selection.  However, I thought he played well tonight.  He did a good job crashing in from the outside to shut down a run.  I just wish he arrived and hit with more force, because the back was able to advance the ball some after the hit.  I saw the anti Tayen Bryan, as Smith showed excellent awareness, and paired that awareness with some athleticism on a batted down pass.

H.  Luke Farrell-I think he had a catch and got open underneath on a pass that went deeper.

I.  Jalen camp-had a catch....about 9 yards.

8.  I think it's interesting that these late addition receivers like treadwell, Tayvon Austin and Pharoah Cooper continue to make plays.  Conversely, Collin Johnson not only did not have any catches (to my knowledge), his penalty brought back a long kickoff return.

9.  Special teams were so so.  Logan Cook had some good punts, but Lambo missed a FG.  There were two long returns negated by penalty-one allowed and one made by us.

10.  Happy Birthday Tebow.  Too bad you didn't have any catches and your attempt to block on that sunning play was not good.  On the other hand, I think evey other TE caught at least one pass (Shaunessey didn't play-at least I don't think.)

11.  The more I see of Gotsis, the more I like him.  Thought he and Ekuale both had good games.

12.  Injury watch:  I saw Tre Herndon, Wingard, and Ross go down with injuries.  Hopefully none are too serious, though the Ross injury looked bad.

13.  In trouble-this is a new category I'm trying out.  Not designed to bash a player, but serves as a stock down sort of topic.  Collin Johnson, Jawaan Taylor and Taven bryan did not help themselves.

14.  Bottom line:  While the bottom line results were disappointing, I can't say I am disappointed at the main attraction-Trevor Lawrencel.  Despite the lackluster performances overall, there were some things to be excited about.  Trevor Lawrence was good, as was the run defense.  I think the secondary has some promise, though I did not like the passing yards and lack of stops overall.  It's a marathon, not a sprint, but I want to see overall improvement.  But I'm thrilled we finally have football back tp debate and discuss.

Great analysis as usual. 

2. The overall downfield coverage seemed to be a bit hit and miss. I think some of that was due to the lack of a pass rush we are still showing. The run defense was fantastic though and I loved seeing the aggression from the new scheme. We couldn't stop them in the passing game though, because they were killing us with the underneath screens to the RB's. We had no answer for that. I'm hoping they work on this during practices or else opposing defenses are gonna hone in on this and copy it. It's just the first preseason game though, so I'm not too worried. 

3. I too liked the aggression shown from the offense, but that was countered by the abysmal play of the O-Line. When the pocket folded up like a lawn chair on the first play of the game and Lawrence was sacked, I think my heart stopped for a moment. This is the kind of thing I was afraid of when we retained Warhop as the O-Line coach. Maybe we need to scale back the aggressive offensive play calling a bit until we get the pass protection to a manageable level. 

4. Surprisingly, I was really impressed by Henderson's coverage. If he can play like this and prove me wrong every week, it would be wonderful! I sincerely hope he keeps this up. 

5. Jones has been our most consistent CB since coming to Jacksonville. The only thing holding him back is his health. I am cautiously optimistic that he has turned the corner and he can play a full 16 game season. He is definitely needed. 

6. Agreed. I've said it from the day we drafted him, Jawaan Taylor gets out of his stance way too slow and is consistently beaten off the edge. He NEEDS to be replaced in the starting lineup before he allows something bad to happen to Trevor. I was impressed with Walker Little. It is the first time I've ever seen the kid play since there is virtually no college tape on him due to injury and him sitting out due to Covid. In one preseason game, he already looks like an improvement at OT. I know he was brought in to replace Cam Robinson, but at this point Taylor is way more of a liability. Cam's contract is guaranteed this season, so we might as well play him. We need to either insert Little as the starting RT or start him at LT and move Robinson to RT. This has to be done before the first regular season game or I might have a nervous breakdown. We must protect Trevor.  

7. Agree with pretty much everything you said. 

8. We seem to be very deep at WR, which is a big reason why I am totally opposed to any rumors of trading for Michael Thomas. I like what we have, a lot. 

9. Agreed the penalties were frustrating. I'm not too concerned about Lambo. He has been the picture of consistency throughout his time here and he is coming off of injury last season. I have confidence he will knock the rust off before the season starts. Logan Cooke looked fantastic. 

10. Tim Tebow could be gone as early as Tuesday. If not, it won't be too long after that. He is not making the final roster. 

11. Agreed. Gotsis was made for the 3-4 scheme. 

12. I loathe preseason injuries. Hopefully, none are serious. 

13. I had pretty high hopes for Johnson, but from everything I read, he is getting outplayed in camp and that was obvious tonight. With all the depth at WR, he may not make the final roster. Taven Bryan is a goner and Jawaan Taylor MUST be benched!

I almost didn't even recognize Duwane Smoot. He looks like he's lost 30-35 lbs. He had a nice pressure in the first half. I was really impressed with Cisco. I believe he will start by the first game. Minshew wanted a chance to be named the starter. Well, it's evident that he shouldn't even be the primary backup. Beathard gets rid of the ball so much faster and is so much more decisive than Minshew, it's ridiculous. Overall, I'm satisfied. I knew we weren't gonna be a playoff team and we certainly aren't. There were some good things to take away from this game though and I am hopeful for the future of this team. I haven't been able to say that for over a decade, so that's something.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 03:57 AM by Bullseye.)

(08-14-2021, 10:59 PM)TLawIsEnforced Wrote: I have a sense of the same ole bad game-play from the Jaguars...I hope this season turns things around...

Why?

Elaborate please.

(08-14-2021, 11:05 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: Like with every year, game 1 is over analyzed and over valued by fans (not you Bullseye, but the complainers). But it’s good the players took it so seriously. You could see TL hate we lost. I don’t think I’ve seen any of our qbs really look upset that we lost a preseason game. But, we’ll know where we stand more with game 3 and week 1. Can’t wait for opener with Denver. Hopefully we’ll be 1-0 at that point Smile

I didn't see his reaction, other than his post game.

He seemed okay to me.

That said, I know he has to have a sense of pride in that he wants to win.  Sadly, given our offensive line, I am unsure if winning is in the cards for us this year very much.  I am hoping we can put it together enough to bet Houston.

Having Deshaun Watson not play would go a long way towards that.

(08-14-2021, 11:13 PM)Firesky Wrote: Said in the other thread, i really think ppl are quick to write off Henderson, kid can flat out PLAY!! he had 2 deaths of ppl close  to him in quick succession this summer; and lets be honest that kind of greif can take its toll on anyone. I think most on this board are too quick to write him off as the next Blackmon etc. Barring a trade for Michael Thomas, i think he has the support structure in place (and the belief from Strong Urban etc.) And will end up being a great player for the Jags. He definitely has the edge over Campbell whos shined in camp but didnt further himself tn

At his best...at the top of his game...CJ Henderson is a very good CB.

I have never shied away from that sentiment.

He just isn't at that level enough, because last year he was hurt, and this year he has been missing training camp for various reasons.

(08-14-2021, 11:17 PM)Kane Wrote: I think if Little earns his way onto the line on one side or another sooner than later.

I think Henderson is one of our top two CBs still and the rookie Campbell will have to wait his turn. Henderson and Griffin start the season on the outside. His absence has been overblown in the worst way with speculation.

I don't think Etienne was used enough or properly and Hyde was given too many snaps but that may be a personal preference thing. Hyde is a spell for Robinson. Etienne needs more chances in preseason to shine, imo.

I never thought Tebow had a legit chance at the 53 and tonight didn't change that at all.

TLaw, as great as he is, is still a rookie. But by mid season I expect fireworks.

I think the WR group from spots 4-6 are wide open... Anyone has a chance including newcomer Tavon Austin.

Run D good, pass rush meh. Here's hoping vanilla scheme had something to do with it but also getting worked by screens was bothersome

You threw that "if" into the Little discussion, but no "then."  Should I take your statement to mean that Little will start sooner rather than later?

I absolutely think if Henderson is focused and healthy he is a very good CB and one of our top two.  You get no argument from me on that point.

While I wanted to see Entienne in action, I'm glad they didn't reveal too much too soon about his role in the offense.  Of more concern to me was the lack or run pass balance.

Tebow did NOT look good on that block.

Agreed on TLaw, but I hope the team can protect him better.  I definitely don't trust Jawaan Taylor at RT, and I'm not too much more comfortable with Cam Robinson at this point.

I think out of that group, there will be some names that are cut that a lot of people are going to be surprised about.

Yes, we've got to do better defending screen passes.  I will say I liked the run defense and the pursuit was impressive.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 04:20 AM by Bullseye.)

Good observation regarding Etienne's hustle on that play.  Speed aside, that level of hustle epitomizes what we'd like to see out of all of our players.

Rusty or not, I think Little played well enough for me to be comfortable with him at RT over jawaan Taylor at this point, even if I think LT may be his best position, ultimately.  I think Taylor is clearly the worst player on the OL.

I think Cisco had a strong debut.  He always seemed to be in good position and tackles well.

Agreed on the DL, but again with Cleveland holding out so many of their starters, it's hard for me to get too excited about it just yet, though #98 looked good early on slanting inside from the right side to disrupt a run.  I also was impressed by RRH on a pass rush,m even though it wasn't against a Browns starter.

(08-15-2021, 01:33 AM)JaguarWC Wrote: We might need to keep 6-7 WR's.  Austin was balling out.

Especially considering we just signed him.

I have long suspected that Johnson was not a UM type of WR.  I saw Austin as being more of that type, and I think that is reflected so far.

(08-15-2021, 01:46 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: So glad CJ had a game tonight. Hopefully this silenced people for just one week. Lot of chicken little this week.

TBH, from the outside looking in, there was ample reason for concern.  They wouldn't have had multiple press conferences addressing CJ Henderson if it isn't a concern.

A lack of talent is not the only reason a player can bust.

R Jay Soward had speed, quickness, burst and explosiveness for DAYS.  If his head was one straight, there's no doubt in my mind he could have been a huge weapon for the team.  But he had so many substance dependence issues, he was in no position to contribute anything but dysfunction to the team.

Same with justin Blackmon.  Blackmon put of two of the biggest receiving games in Jaguars history during his career, but kept running afoul of the law and the NFLs policy on substance abuse and is now long out of football.

henderson is a talented player, but his status as a good, consistent and reliable player is far from cemented at this point.