Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Browns Preseason Game

Manhertz is terrible at blocking
Jack still struggles on play action
Campbell had a rough game
Austin ran the wrong route and stole Tebow’s catch
Lawrence held the ball and got sacked
There’s no possible way Little is a backup.

PUT LITTLE AT LT AND CAM AT RT AND MOVE TAYLOR TO RG.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 07:06 PM by PetesPonies. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-15-2021, 06:23 PM)Jag88 Wrote: ^^ which game is that which you wont route for the jags?

Well it won't be this year  LOL  Unless we meet in the playoffs .  and that would be a good thing right?  Ravens .  and I'm tickled to have a couple Clemson guys on the Ravens this year. Sammy's a lock, not sure about the other. But I can't wait to see Trevor light it up. He's amazing.

I know it’s preseason. I know it’s a new coach and staff. But what bugged me most, was that watching the game it seemed like the same ole jags. Penalties. 2 returns with penalties. OL, zero time for the QB. Screwn passes kicked their [BLEEP], yet again.

Again, it’s preseason. They obviously have work to do and have positions that need upgrading. Until then we will be middle of the pack

Positive things, TL looked good when he had time. Speacial teams coverage looked good. Run defense looks light years ahead of what it was. The secondary didn’t look terrible. Although there were a play or two I was thinking [BLEEP]? Namely the TD pass to who I can’t remember by Cleveland.

Tebow…looked lost. I wish the man the best. But he has no future in the NFL.

(08-15-2021, 01:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 01:47 PM)surfon Wrote: We have sucked at stopping screens sice del rio has been gone.  Almost a full decade.  Man wide receiver screens even used to eat us alive.

That game was seriously depressing.  Only uside at all was run D looks a little better.  Wont matter thiugh if you cant stop a screen and short completions.  T OP had to have sucked for us untill the 4th qtr.

Was hoping to see more esp on offense.  I know it was only 1st preseason game.  Still sucked.

Clevelands backups are better than our starters.

I think it's fair to assume we'll see more situational play calling from Cullen during the actual season than during this evaluation period. 

When they really settle on their LB starters and safeties (plus various packages) I imagine they'll have better contingency for those 3rd and long scenarios beyond just being aggressive to the QB. I still hold out some hope they'll tighten that up.

While i tend to agree at least hope.  I am also pretty sure i did see several/multiple blitzes by both teams.

Buncha Chicken Littles here.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 12:40 AM by TLawIsEnforced.)

Worse off this year or just same fears and concerns about the Jaguars?

(08-15-2021, 01:33 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 10:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: We've been waiting for this moment since January.  We knew the first overall pick was ours and that we'd likely use it on Trevor Lawrence.  Once we found out Urban Meyer would become the coach, whether we like the UM hire or not, we all wanted to see the new era, especially QB Trevor Lawrence.  Now at last, we get our first glimpse of this promising new era in game action.

Here are some of my thoughts...

1.  Though it's just a color, it was nice to see the Jaguars in teal again.  My preference is for the teal jerseys and white pants, but this uniform combo was okay.

2.  We got our first look at the defense first.  One of the things that jumped out to me immediately was how often the corners were up on the WRs.  For years, people would complain about how soft the coverage would be with our CBs playing off the ball.  That doesn't seem to be a characteristic of this scheme, as I rarely saw the CBs play off the ball very far in this game.  Perhaps that is more a function of the Browns' starters not being in the game, but those who were tired of the vanilla scheme of past Jaguars' defensive coordinators like Wash may like Cullen's schemes a little better.  That said, we really couldn't get any stops.  We controlled the run okay, but the Browns converted a lot of 3rd downs and extended drives.

3.  The first thing that stuck out to me about the new offensive scheme is how often the Jaguars were in 4 WR sets.  Bevell was OC in Seattle, where there was a heavy emphasis on the running game.  I'm not sure what he did in Detroit....so I'm not sure if the approach-even in this early point-was part of UM's influence on the offense, whether it was a capitulation to having TL as our QB, whether the coaches wanted to get some particular things done offensively, or some combination of the above.  But like the defense, the initial impression I am  getting is a more aggressive posture.

4.  CJ Henderson has been the subject of a lot of negative speculation this pffseason as a whole, and including this week, as trade rumors circulated in the press and on message boards.  Defensive assistant Charlie Strong said the team would do everything they could to get Henderson on track.  It seems the efforts have paid off, because henderson had a fine game.  his two PBUs on 3rd downs were things of beauty, reminiscent of his game against Indy in last year's season opener.  I can only hope he keeps
that up.

5.  Another veteran DBs who put on a good show was Sidney Jones.  While fighting the injury bug last year, he played well for us as a midseason pickup.  Tonight, he had good plays in pass defense and in run support.  I expect Jones to make this team and be a key contributor to this defense. 

6.  One thing that was not so good was the pass protection.  Many of us were adamant that the team address the offensive line in a significant way this offseason.  Tonight was but the latest reminder of why that was the case.  The team gave up sacks on each of the team's first three possessions against the Browns' second team defensive ends.  On the first play, while TL could have gotten rid of the ball quicker, the DL pretty much collapsed around him.  While technically I think Cann gave up the sack on that play, the line was pushed back into TL's face.  The second sack was just flat out bad, as Taylor was flat out beat for a sack.  There weren't many runs, though the team did a good job on Robinson's 9 yard run.  The pass protection must improve.

7.  Rookie Watch:
     A.  Trevor Lawrence-at long last, Jaguars fans caught a glimpse of the future, and he did not disappoint.  He showed toughness in taking those two sacks and getting up from them without issue.  He showed poise in converting 3rd downs after taking those sacks, hitting an out to Marvin Jones, and later hitting Jones on a 35 yard pass.  On that 35 yard pass, nobody was open initially, and he had a chance to possible scramble for a first down, like many rookies or young QBs would do.  Instead he continued to scan the field and read the defense and wait for a receiver to come open.  He wasn't perfect.  I mentioned earlier about how he could have gotten rid of the ball earlier on that first sack.  There was another pass to the right he overthrew.  On another incompletion to the left, he could have stepped up in the pocket and instead went outside the tackle.  But I certainly did not see the skittishness the writer thought he saw.  Overall he was good...6-9 overall.  One thing I noticed was I guess my own reaction.  In years' past, a sack early in a series would serve to extinguish hope in the drive succeeding.  But the sacks he suffered early on didn't send me into any sort of despair in terms of the success of the series.  Don't get me wrong...I was dismayed beyond measure that TL got hit in the first place (especially twice in one quarter).  But once he got up from those sacks, I didn't really worry about whether we'd convert.  I always felt we had a chance to continue the drive...and he made plays to continue the drives.  I'm happy with what I saw of him.

B.   Travis Etienne-didn't see much from him.  He had a two yard run, which was pretty good as far as two yard runs are concerned, but anyone looking for fireworks from him was disappointed.

C.  Tyson Campbell-had a game that epitomized all of the good and bad the scouting reports said about him.  Has good length and showed pretty good coverage ability and had a nice pass breakup.  however, he got beat for a TD on a play where he had good position but somehow couldn't manage to make a play on the ball.

D.  Walker Little-played LT in the second half and looked pretty good for the most part.  On the TD pass, he would have been beaten badly on the inside, but Derwin Gray was there to pick off the rusher.  Was off balance on the two point conversion attempt,  but otherwise was effective, if someone awkward looking.  Opened a nice hole on a running play.

E.  Andre Cisco-had an active night with a pass breakup and was in tight coverage underneath for much of the game.

F.  Jay Tufele-I did not see the wide array of moves that some observers wrote about.  What I did see was a good burst and explosiveness off the snap/quickness off the ball.

G.  Jordan Smith-I remember not being too crazy about this pick in the immediate aftermath of the selection.  However, I thought he played well tonight.  He did a good job crashing in from the outside to shut down a run.  I just wish he arrived and hit with more force, because the back was able to advance the ball some after the hit.  I saw the anti Tayen Bryan, as Smith showed excellent awareness, and paired that awareness with some athleticism on a batted down pass.

H.  Luke Farrell-I think he had a catch and got open underneath on a pass that went deeper.

I.  Jalen camp-had a catch....about 9 yards.

8.  I think it's interesting that these late addition receivers like treadwell, Tayvon Austin and Pharoah Cooper continue to make plays.  Conversely, Collin Johnson not only did not have any catches (to my knowledge), his penalty brought back a long kickoff return.

9.  Special teams were so so.  Logan Cook had some good punts, but Lambo missed a FG.  There were two long returns negated by penalty-one allowed and one made by us.

10.  Happy Birthday Tebow.  Too bad you didn't have any catches and your attempt to block on that sunning play was not good.  On the other hand, I think evey other TE caught at least one pass (Shaunessey didn't play-at least I don't think.)

11.  The more I see of Gotsis, the more I like him.  Thought he and Ekuale both had good games.

12.  Injury watch:  I saw Tre Herndon, Wingard, and Ross go down with injuries.  Hopefully none are too serious, though the Ross injury looked bad.

13.  In trouble-this is a new category I'm trying out.  Not designed to bash a player, but serves as a stock down sort of topic.  Collin Johnson, Jawaan Taylor and Taven bryan did not help themselves.

14.  Bottom line:  While the bottom line results were disappointing, I can't say I am disappointed at the main attraction-Trevor Lawrencel.  Despite the lackluster performances overall, there were some things to be excited about.  Trevor Lawrence was good, as was the run defense.  I think the secondary has some promise, though I did not like the passing yards and lack of stops overall.  It's a marathon, not a sprint, but I want to see overall improvement.  But I'm thrilled we finally have football back tp debate and discuss.

Maybe you saw a different game than me.  I came away seeing a bad team and I was very unimpressed with all the QBs.  The OL is pitiful.  Lawrence made one throw when he had all day and Jones still had to make a great catch to make it work.  Sorry.  I cannot buy this.  We're in for a long season.
Sadly this is best post.....

Gonna start with a gripe mixed with some slapping myself in the back of the head for not double checking. DVR recorded the NFLN feed, but for some moronic reason, NFLN sent TLH the Aints and ballimer, so I gotta wait till Wednesday to record the replay to watch the first half. I got the end of the second q and second half recorded on the local affiliate feed, and I hate NFLN for trying to subject me to old browns games.

That said, it was disheartening to see the scorebug continually adding points on the CLE side knowing that it was our ones vs. their twos. I'm reminding myself that we are rebuilding (still? again?) and we're still ironing out a lot of the kinks on both sides of the ball.

Little was mauling the bottom of CLE's roster. Good that he was out there knocking the rust off and doing what he should be doing in that situation. Is he ready for the ramp up in competition? How gradually do they transition him?
I'm not ready to crown Beathard, knowing that this was much like Little, beating up on guys that aren't likely to make a final 53. He did well in his time, though, but again I want to see if he can do the same against better competition before I say we have anyone capable behind TL.
Claybrooks was making tackles, and that was good to see. I'm always skeptical of the speedy defensive guys that are more returner than defender, but he seemed to be making plays and he'll have to do that to stick to a roster this year. I don't think it will be with us, thanks to all the DBs and Agnew acquired during the offseason. Good on him to put some plays on film when he had the chance.
Austin looked like he'd spent the entire offseason with the team. I think he's still fighting an uphill battle to make the roster. I couldn't help but think that if this were a regular season game, that would be Etienne getting all those reps. Might be why they brought him in, as they are probably very similar in play style.
The Browns' last score culminated a 20 (TWENTY!!) play drive. Those reserve defenders are gonna be in Cullen's doghouse all week long. Get those ice baths ready, y'all gonna be runnin till ya puke.

In the end though, it was good to have football to watch again. Go Jags! Thankfully I think there's only one broadcast this weekend, so my DVR won't leave me high and dry.

How did Farrell do ?

(08-15-2021, 09:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: We'll be a four win team this year. It's going to be similar to Cincinnati's last season, barring the QB injury (knock on wood).

Vegas has as 6 1/2 over under in the best the fan can do is four winds. This was one preseason game in which we saw a lot of improvement against the run. The secondary looks good. There were issues to address but that’s what preseason is for.

Cleveland, Ohio -  watched the game on tv..   i think y'all have a special QB in Trevor.. Right now he does what every rookie does,, Shows signs of greatness,  and other times holds the ball way to long getting sacked.  Being realistic with you.. Long ways to go with that team, they need more parts, understanding cleveland played almost all their 2nd teamers to start..  and cleveland better hope nothing happens to Chub or Hunt, because its weak for the Browns after those two at RB..   

Tim Tebow?  I dunno..  If he makes the cut, its because Urban's heart is bigger than his brain..

Wishing y'all good luck this season..  Stay Patient with the kid QB  its going to take some time.....

(08-16-2021, 10:28 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 09:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: We'll be a four win team this year. It's going to be similar to Cincinnati's last season, barring the QB injury (knock on wood).

Vegas has as 6 1/2 over under in the best the fan can do is four winds. This was one preseason game in which we saw a lot of improvement against the run. The secondary looks good. There were issues to address but that’s what preseason is for.

What Vegas wages is meaningless to me. Four. I refuse to break wind.

(08-16-2021, 04:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 10:28 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: Vegas has as 6 1/2 over under in the best the fan can do is four winds. This was one preseason game in which we saw a lot of improvement against the run. The secondary looks good. There were issues to address but that’s what preseason is for.

I feel for ya bruddah, i`m breaking wind just now reading this.

(08-16-2021, 10:28 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: Vegas has as 6 1/2 over under in the best the fan can do is four winds. This was one preseason game in which we saw a lot of improvement against the run. The secondary looks good. There were issues to address but that’s what preseason is for.

No wind breaker here?   Whadaya  a girl?  Get your track suit ready.  “Havroooomph”. Excuse me.

(08-16-2021, 04:27 PM)Guardians Wrote: Cleveland, Ohio -  watched the game on tv..   i think y'all have a special QB in Trevor.. Right now he does what every rookie does,, Shows signs of greatness,  and other times holds the ball way to long getting sacked.  Being realistic with you.. Long ways to go with that team, they need more parts, understanding cleveland played almost all their 2nd teamers to start..  and cleveland better hope nothing happens to Chub or Hunt, because its weak for the Browns after those two at RB..   

Tim Tebow?  I dunno..  If he makes the cut, its because Urban's heart is bigger than his brain..

Wishing y'all good luck this season..  Stay Patient with the kid QB  its going to take some time.....

welcome and +1 for the username.

I have to assume you witnessed a lot of the same growing pains as Mayfield found his footing.

I'll give the oddsmakers credit, 6-11 (or 6-X-Y if we squeeze a tie or two in there!) still being a winning bet is an awful tempting lure.

I am cursed beyond recognition, so if I took that bet we'd end up kicking a late field goal in the last game of the season to end up 7-10.

(08-17-2021, 08:12 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 04:27 PM)Guardians Wrote: Cleveland, Ohio -  watched the game on tv..   i think y'all have a special QB in Trevor.. Right now he does what every rookie does,, Shows signs of greatness,  and other times holds the ball way to long getting sacked.  Being realistic with you.. Long ways to go with that team, they need more parts, understanding cleveland played almost all their 2nd teamers to start..  and cleveland better hope nothing happens to Chub or Hunt, because its weak for the Browns after those two at RB..   

I have to assume you witnessed a lot of the same growing pains as Mayfield found his footing.

Why on the username? Roller derby fan? Not going political because there is so much to say but yikes research done and that is the replacement? 

But on topic.. yeah we got way too much work to do for one off-season. Still not thrilled about the coach but we will see.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(08-17-2021, 09:38 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 08:12 AM)Mikey Wrote: welcome and +1 for the username.

Why on the username? Roller derby fan? Not going political because there is so much to say but yikes research done and that is the replacement? 

But on topic.. yeah we got way too much work to do for one off-season. Still not thrilled about the coach but we will see.

They gonna have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to a bunch of amateur MALE roller derby people. What is wrong with that organization? Seriously? Is google that foreign a thing to them?

(08-17-2021, 09:40 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 09:38 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Why on the username? Roller derby fan? Not going political because there is so much to say but yikes research done and that is the replacement? 

They gonna have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to a bunch of amateur MALE roller derby people. What is wrong with that organization? Seriously? Is google that foreign a thing to them?

something tells me a little cash and season tix for X years gonna make that a non-issue. I doubt that a derby franchise wants to carry the albatross of "the team that made the baseball team choose [insert crapalicious generic nickname here] instead" when they are trying to sell tix.

shame on me for enjoying something about the place I grew up. stupid mikey. ...and should a place with a team called the Jumbo Shrimp be casting stones?

(08-17-2021, 12:06 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 09:40 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: They gonna have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to a bunch of amateur MALE roller derby people. What is wrong with that organization? Seriously? Is google that foreign a thing to them?

something tells me a little cash and season tix for X years gonna make that a non-issue. I doubt that a derby franchise wants to carry the albatross of "the team that made the baseball team choose [insert crapalicious generic nickname here] instead" when they are trying to sell tix.

shame on me for enjoying something about the place I grew up. stupid mikey. ...and should a place with a team called the Jumbo Shrimp be casting stones?

You as a fan are fine. The organization is the point of my post. Very similar to my issues with our franchise operations.

Just having some overall fun at baseball.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(08-17-2021, 08:12 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Lets just say, i was never a real big fan of Mayfield... Swagger is good, but when you believe you are bigger than the team  itself.. you need to take a chill pill and take a step or two back.  He is getting better about that as he matures..  I think Cleveland lacked the right kind of coach to build a team that could use the tools he brings... lets face it.. he is not going to the fall of fame .  he can not throw the ball in a 2x2 window.. he needs guys in space.. he is small so he needs to get out of the pocket.  but we been on growing pains since 1999... so we feel what you are going through... it is painful