Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence's 1st NFL Sack

A little something for all you armchair analysts out there.

Looks like all three interior guys allowed some pocket collapse here while Cann let his guy ultimately ruin the dump off to Robinson which would have been a big gain with no one covering him. 

[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-08-15-at-1.15.54-PMf0b7...bccd4c.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-08-15-at-1.16.04-PMaa64...3ef74a.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-08-15-at-1.16.16-PMbbd6...6b9c25.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-08-15-at-1.16.32-PM0e35...772dc0.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yep, I was also watching that this morning. Linder got blown up and was just as responsible.

(08-15-2021, 01:30 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Yep, I was also watching that this morning. Linder got blown up and was just as responsible.

Meh, at least Linder initially moved his guy off the ball. Cann got beat from jump street. 
The middle 3 were all subpar there - but TL probably has time to dump off to JR if Cann holds up a second longer. He let his guy thru pretty quickly.

(08-15-2021, 01:30 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Yep, I was also watching that this morning. Linder got blown up and was just as responsible.

Linder is overrated without a doubt but he's not the big issue. This play shows who is. Run blocking will be decent this year but I hope Lawrence stocks up on aspirin, he's gonna need it with all the hits he'll take.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

He wanted to watch film before he said anything.. He knew...

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 01:53 PM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

On Lawrence's 2nd sack, it looks #91 Joe Jackson of the Browns, listed as 4th String DE, beats a triple team of Manhertz, O'shaugnessy, and Cam Robinson to help with other Brown's player that beat Taylor.

(08-15-2021, 01:45 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:

Linder is overrated without a doubt but he's not the big issue. This play shows who is. Run blocking will be decent this year but I hope Lawrence stocks up on aspirin, he's gonna need it with all the hits he'll take.

Agreed. He's been more consistent than the others, but gets beat out at times as well.

(08-15-2021, 01:49 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: On Lawrence's 2nd sack, it looks #91 Joe Jackson of the Browns, listed as 4th String DE, beats a triple team of Manhertz, O'shaugnessy, and Cam Robinson to help with other Brown's player that beat Taylor.

On Lawrence's 2nd sack he held the ball for 6 or 7 seconds, so... lots can happen in that amount of time, most of it not good.

(08-15-2021, 01:45 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:

He wanted to watch film before he said anything.. He knew...

Not sure what this is supposed to mean, but yeah, I saw it last night and thought it looked like several people got beat. So I rewatched it today, freeze framed, rewinded several times, etc. and was able to see the breakdown.

No charge.

Yeah second sack was on Lawrence. First sack was disappointing, because should have had some type of easy completion to get him rolling, but instead line immediately blown up by second stringers. While I want Little in the starting 5 ASAP, it does take o-lines some time to gel. However, given we are starting the same 5 as last year, you would have hoped for a quicker start.

I was initially aggravated as hell about the first sack being it was the first dang play of the game BUT.... I think it gave us a look at a rookie QB who didn't freak out and didn't get emotional. He just went to the next play. I half expected him to fall apart #becausejaguars but he didn't and that convinced me regarding his 'generational QB' status.

He still looked like a rookie QB but I have more respect for his talent now than I did before the first snap.

My first thought is, why call a pass play on the VERY first down that a rookie QB plays in an NFL game (it doesn't matter that it's preseason)?  What happened to establishing the run?  How about letting him as well as other players get comfortable and in rhythm?  After all, this is pretty much the first "full speed" work that they get.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-15-2021, 05:01 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: My first thought is, why call a pass play on the VERY first down that a rookie QB plays in an NFL game (it doesn't matter that it's preseason)?  What happened to establishing the run?  How about letting him as well as other players get comfortable and in rhythm?  After all, this is pretty much the first "full speed" work that they get.

Agree. I watched Zach Wilson and they ran it 7 times to 4 passes and kicked a FG on his first drive. Seems like a better strategy to ease a rookie in to me. 

I think Meyer thought he was going to make a statement by having Lawrence throw it all over the field and it didn't quite happen like he imagined.

(08-15-2021, 06:42 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 05:01 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: My first thought is, why call a pass play on the VERY first down that a rookie QB plays in an NFL game (it doesn't matter that it's preseason)?  What happened to establishing the run?  How about letting him as well as other players get comfortable and in rhythm?  After all, this is pretty much the first "full speed" work that they get.

Agree. I watched Zach Wilson and they ran it 7 times to 4 passes and kicked a FG on his first drive. Seems like a better strategy to ease a rookie in to me. 

I think Meyer thought he was going to make a statement by having Lawrence throw it all over the field and it didn't quite happen like he imagined.
TBF. The Jags starting OLine should be able to pass protect well enough against the 2nd string DLine of the Browns.

It’s preseason so I try not to read too much into it. If they had 3 straight runs and a 3 and out, this board would have said “let the young kid sling it!”.

I think they have more runs in the 2nd and 3rd preseason game though.