Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tackle Alums Critique Walker Little

Today, both o the radio and during Jaguars' Happy Hour, former Jaguars T greats Leon Searcy and Tony Boselli gave their review of Walker Little's performance against Cleveland.

I only heard a small part of the segment for Leon Searcy this afternoon, but he and Boselli both agreed on at least one thing:  Walker Little has terrible hands.

Searcy was saying to improve hands, they used to use 45 lb plates, though I was unclear as to how they would be utilized.

Boseli was saying Walker Little had great natural size and good feet (which he says is the most important thing for an OL to have).  He also said Little WILL be a good OL and could be great, but indicated his biggest deficiency was his hands.

He closed the segment saying Little is the 2nd best T on the team right now (presumably behind Cam Robinson).

To me, I would think hand placement is something that could have been hurt by his time away from the game, and something that can be developed, as opposed to a T with no feet. 

Taken together, this is exciting news.

I thought that Little would be rusty, and I figured the rust would manifest itself in all aspects of his game, especially his feet.  But Boselli was saying his feet were good.  If he remains healthy and Warhop is as good a coach as so many have stated (I'm still not sold) then I could see Little improving steadily over the course of the season.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not at all surprised that he would be off with his punch timing, punch strength, and latch skills right now. By far harder to replicate in training and also easier to fix. I agree it might take some time but he'll be fine.

Yeah I saw nothing but dominance when I was watching little. I think he is going to be great long-term once he knocks the dust off.

Little is playing dominate. Once he improves his hand technique he will be more polished. Meyer has to start him and I don’t care where.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 08:02 PM by Bullseye.)

(08-16-2021, 07:57 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Little is playing dominate. Once he improves his hand technique he will be more polished. Meyer has to start him and I don’t care where.

Thing is, UM said Little struggled the other night...but was conversely eager to defend Jawaan Taylor.

(08-16-2021, 07:55 PM)Newton Wrote: Yeah I saw nothing but dominance when I was watching little. I think he is going to be great long-term once he knocks the dust off.

Boselli was saying that Little was so naturally big and strong, that even with bad hands, guys couldn't beat him.

That said, those were second and 3rd teamers...guys who may not be in the league this time next month.

(08-16-2021, 08:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 07:57 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Little is playing dominate. Once he improves his hand technique he will be more polished. Meyer has to start him and I don’t care where.

Thing is, UM said Little struggled the other night...but was conversely eager to defend Jawaan Taylor.

Maybe Little needs the critique, and Taylor needs the bump.

Notice I said "need" and not "deserve".

Bad hands as in bad placement? Or bad hands as in no strength? or both?

Taylor sucked at least he sucked in pass pro.

I heard Lageman talking about not liking to go up against Searcy in practice because of his hands and the punch he had. Maybe he should go give Little a few pointers
A new broom always sweeps clean.

He doesn’t seem nearly as good in the run game as he is in the Pass game. His pass sets and feet are great for a rookie, his run game blocking is adequate and maybe it is his hands as stated by Boselli and Searcy that need to be fixed and can he can improve on the run game. Overall looks pretty good for a rookie though.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

We good
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(08-16-2021, 11:20 PM)Adub28 Wrote: He doesn’t seem nearly as good in the run game as he is in the Pass game. His pass sets and feet are great for a rookie, his run game blocking is adequate and maybe it is his hands as stated by Boselli and Searcy that need to be fixed and can he can improve on the run game. Overall looks pretty good for a rookie though.
Run blocking needs time and if he hasn't had to block a moving target for a while, it could take a bit

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

All that matters at this point is, he's better than Taylor. If he is our 2nd best OT right now, insert him at starting RT and get him playing time. By next season, he should be ready to move to LT. Just get Taylor off the field.

(08-16-2021, 07:55 PM)Newton Wrote: Yeah I saw nothing but dominance when I was watching little. I think he is going to be great long-term once he knocks the dust off.

Don't forget he was mauling third stringers. A bit of Quinn Gray syndrome there.

If he replicates that against the backups, though, it may be time to announce a "Look out".

When we drafted him, nobody thought he'd make this much progress at this point. Some people didn't even think he could play.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2021, 09:32 AM by Bullseye.)

(08-16-2021, 08:24 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 08:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Thing is, UM said Little struggled the other night...but was conversely eager to defend Jawaan Taylor.

Maybe Little needs the critique, and Taylor needs the bump.

Notice I said "need" and not "deserve".

This could very well be true.

(08-17-2021, 09:30 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: When we drafted him, nobody thought he'd make this much progress at this point.  Some people didn't even think he could play.

I thought he was a good prospect, but I was very concerned about rust.

I'm still concerned to a large degree, but I am encouraged about what I've seen and heard so far.

Man if we can get a franchise QB (which I think we did) AND a franchise LT out of this draft---we will be setting ourselves up nicely. Those are the two hardest positions to fill.

I am a Jaguars fan.. I can't be happy about anything. I will now write a paragraph of unfounded criticism because the franchise has worn me out by their approach to football.

But in reality, I would like to just see some darn football execution and I hope this guy is a hard worker and we improve. I love the team but I want to see some progress.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(08-17-2021, 09:48 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: I am a Jaguars fan.. I can't be happy about anything. I will now write a paragraph of unfounded criticism because the franchise has worn me out by their approach to football.

But in reality, I would like to just see some darn football execution and I hope this guy is a hard worker and we improve. I love the team but I want to see some progress.

....is this a joke about roster cuts? Big Grin

I don't know enough about hands and all that. I also trust a guy like Boselli over anyone here or myself.

But simple eye test tells me Little is/was better than Taylor and on par with Cam.

-shrug-