Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gaining A Pick

Link:
https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2021/8...nick-boyle

Just an update.  Josh Oliver was traded to Baltimore for a conditional 7th round pick.  Thus far in the Raven's camp, Oliver appears to be on track to earn a roster spot, which will deliver the Jags the conditional pick.  I would have liked to see him in a Jags uniform this year, but at least we may get something for him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So, if he doesn't make their roster, we traded away a guy who was worthless and got nothing in return.

But if he does make it, even though we get a pick back, he's a young TE we could have had on our team.

I'm not sure which one I would prefer. Seems like both of those alternatives pretty much suck.

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2021, 12:58 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-19-2021, 12:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, if he doesn't make their roster, we traded away a guy who was worthless and got nothing in return. 

But if he does make it, even though we get a pick back, he's a young TE we could have had on our team. 

I'm not sure which one I would prefer.  Seems like both of those alternatives pretty much suck.

LOL, I said this when they first traded him.  It was stupid.  

If they cut him (or the Ravens cut him) they got nothing anyway.  If he makes the Ravens they get a lousy seventh round pick, for a guy who could develop into something.  It was stupid [BLEEP] trade...especially given the 'talent' in our TE room.  Not to mention he was already under contract.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I've not liked 4 moves at this point from Meyer/Baalke. This one is the dumbest.

He's slated to be TE #3 or #4 in Baltimore in a good TE room.

Our room features a decent #2 guy in O'Shaughnessy and a long list of guys who would struggle to make any NFL roster. *shrug*

(08-19-2021, 01:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've not liked 4 moves at this point from Meyer/Baalke. This one is the dumbest.

Our room features a decent #2 guy in O'Shaughnessy and a long list of guys who would struggle to make any NFL roster. *shrug*

For reference:

Brad from Jacksonville, FL

Vic, this Schobert trade is baffling. What’s the logic in paying half a guy's salary and only taking a sixth-round pick for him when he’s gonna start where he goes?

They waited too long to trade him. Training camp isn't a time when teams are trying to add players. A new broom sweeps clean. Meyer/Baalke judged Schobert to be a big mistake by Marrone/Caldwell. Eighteen million dollars for one season of play is embarrassing; that's quarterback money. The new staff wanted Schobert off the books. Rivera did the same thing with Haskins. Rivera didn't want to deal with a quarterback he didn't pick.

(08-19-2021, 01:09 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 01:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've not liked 4 moves at this point from Meyer/Baalke. This one is the dumbest.

For reference:

Brad from Jacksonville, FL

Vic, this Schobert trade is baffling. What’s the logic in paying half a guy's salary and only taking a sixth-round pick for him when he’s gonna start where he goes?

They waited too long to trade him. Training camp isn't a time when teams are trying to add players. A new broom sweeps clean. Meyer/Baalke judged Schobert to be a big mistake by Marrone/Caldwell. Eighteen million dollars for one season of play is embarrassing; that's quarterback money. The new staff wanted Schobert off the books. Rivera did the same thing with Haskins. Rivera didn't want to deal with a quarterback he didn't pick.

New regime doing new regime things is fine and expected. Housekeeping included. 

Jettisoning a 3rd round pick with talent at a barren position group is likely taking it a step too far. 
This is slightly more akin to throwing out the baby with the bath water even if that’s a little hyperbolic.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if the Ravens cut him and we claim him back?

(08-19-2021, 04:26 PM)rufftime Wrote: Wouldn’t it be interesting if the Ravens cut him and we claim him back?

yes, because once we add his new contract to his dead money hit, we'd probably end up spending the same as if we'd kept him in the first place.

SMRT.

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2021, 07:30 PM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-19-2021, 12:57 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 12:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, if he doesn't make their roster, we traded away a guy who was worthless and got nothing in return. 

I'm not sure which one I would prefer.  Seems like both of those alternatives pretty much suck.

LOL, I said this when they first traded him.  It was stupid.  

If they cut him (or the Ravens cut him) they got nothing anyway.  If he makes the Ravens they get a lousy seventh round pick, for a guy who could develop into something.  It was stupid [BLEEP] trade...especially given the 'talent' in our TE room.  Not to mention he was already under contract.

Oliver was a high 3rd round pick and we'll basically get an UDFA in return...  Sick

Urban was here for literally like a week before they traded Oliver.. He didn't even get a chance to know his name, let alone get a look at him. Maybe Oliver pumped and dumped one of Meyer's daughters and he holds a grudge against him for it. At least that would make some sense/be a reason why they made such a stupid move in the first place.

Hated that move from the start and it has only looked dumber and dumber by the day.

(08-19-2021, 06:28 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 12:57 PM)RicoTx Wrote: LOL, I said this when they first traded him.  It was stupid.  

Oliver was a high 3rd round pick and we'll basically get an UDFA in return...  Sick

Urban was here for literally like a week before they traded Oliver.. He didn't even get a chance to know his name, let alone get a look at him. Maybe Oliver pumped and dumped one of Meyer's daughters and he holds a grudge against him for it. At least that would make some sense/be a reason why they made such a stupid move in the first place.

Hated that move from the start and it has only looked dumber and dumber by the day.

I think this was more a Baalke move than a Meyer move.  Baalke has been here long enough to be familiar with Oliver.  Maybe he told Meyer, he can't stay healthy and maybe he has a bad attitude about rehabbing or something, and Meyer said, okay, go ahead.  We can only speculate.

It’s always been my impression, and perhaps a little undeserved, that Oliver is fragile. The best ability is availability.

(08-21-2021, 08:07 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s always been my impression, and perhaps a little undeserved, that Oliver is fragile. The best ability is availability.

If you're basing it off a player's first couple of years Fred Taylor would have been gone.

(08-21-2021, 08:10 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 08:07 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s always been my impression, and perhaps a little undeserved, that Oliver is fragile. The best ability is availability.

If you're basing it off a player's first couple of years Fred Taylor would have been gone.

Maybe you mean Jimmy Smith.  Not Fred Taylor.

(08-21-2021, 08:10 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

No...because FT still had significant contributions his first two years.  Oliver had, what, 3 catches for us?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Let's just hope the next tweet about Oliver isn't about him being placed on IR.

He was the Marquise Lee of tight ends.

(08-19-2021, 08:08 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Link:

Just an update.  Josh Oliver was traded to Baltimore for a conditional 7th round pick.  Thus far in the Raven's camp, Oliver appears to be on track to earn a roster spot, which will deliver the Jags the conditional pick.  I would have liked to see him in a Jags uniform this year, but at least we may get something for him.

Considering we got maybe all of three catches from him, in my mind, we blew a 3rd round pick as opposed to gaining, at best, a 7th round pick.

We still don't have a TE-the position Oliver was supposed to address.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-27-2021, 08:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 08:08 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Link:

Considering we got maybe all of three catches from him, in my mind, we blew a 3rd round pick as opposed to gaining, at best, a 7th round pick.

We still don't have a TE-the position Oliver was supposed to address.

And since we traded him for basically nothing, we can't see if he could have filled the position.