Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Eating 1 hot dog claims 35 minutes off life, study suggests

Make's me want a loaded chili dog right now.........

Eating 1 hot dog claims 35 minutes off life, study suggests

Researchers released a nutritional index this week aiming to inform guidelines and help Americans achieve healthier and more environmentally stable diets. The index ranked foods by minutes gained or lost off healthy life per serving, with processed meats and sugary drinks among the biggest offenders.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/hot-dog-c...life-study
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021, 08:12 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 3 times in total.)

I'm reaching the age when the chickens come home to roost, and all those little life-long bad habits start having a noticeable effect.  I've had friends die young, of preventable diseases, brought on by lifestyle choices, like eating lots of fried food, blackened food, too much alcohol, or smoking.  People say, "I don't care", or "they can't tell me what to do, I'll do what I want, I'm a FREE MAN," when they're 20 or 30, but when they hit 60, or sometimes even 50, they start getting sick and dying.  I see it all the time. 

I had one friend who ate lots of fried food, blackened food, and smoked incessantly, and he died of cancer in his early 50s.  I had another friend who was an alcoholic who was found dead just sitting in a chair with the TV on.  Then I had another who just loved bacon, and blackened food, and fatty food, who went through an unbelievable number of health issues and died a month ago in his 60s.  I have other friends who cannot control what they eat, and as a result they are overweight, and probably won't live a lot longer. 

As for me, I want to see Yellowstone, and take some trips overseas, and go to Jaguar games, and vote in the next 8 or 10 elections, and a lot of other things that require more time on the clock and decent health.   I ain't eatin no hot dogs!  

Quit eating hot dogs and processed meat.  Unless you really don't care about suffering and dying 10 to 20 years early.

My grandfather passed last month at the age of 92.. He loved hot dogs, ate bacon like it was going out of style, enjoyed burger king and mcdonalds and smoked like a chimney for over 70 years..

I call bull [BLEEP]..

I think a lot of it has to do with genes..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021, 08:32 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 5 times in total.)

(08-21-2021, 08:22 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: My grandfather passed last month at the age of 92.. He loved hot dogs, ate bacon like it was going out of style, enjoyed burger king and mcdonalds and smoked like a chimney for over 70 years..

I call bull [BLEEP]..

Yeah, and there were a few guys who survived Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg, so it must not have been that dangerous.  Right?

Just because you survive Russian Roulette, that doesn't mean there wasn't a bullet in that gun.

Everyone seems to have a grandfather who smoked like a chimney and lived into his 90s.  I do, too.  But that doesn't lead me to believe that smoking doesn't cause cancer.  And I've now lived long enough to see quite a few people die, obviously from bad lifestyle choices, including what they eat.

(08-21-2021, 08:22 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: My grandfather passed last month at the age of 92.. He loved hot dogs, ate bacon like it was going out of style, enjoyed burger king and mcdonalds and smoked like a chimney for over 70 years..

I call bull [BLEEP]..

My grandmother was an old southern farm girl from rural Georgia.  Pan fried almost everything.  Cooked with lard.  She lived to 98.

Some does have to do with genetics, but you are increasing your chances of problems by not showing at least some restraint from what you eat.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-21-2021, 08:33 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

I call bull [BLEEP]..

My grandmother was an old southern farm girl from rural Georgia.  Pan fried almost everything.  Cooked with lard.  She lived to 98.

Some does have to do with genetics, but you are increasing your chances of problems by not showing at least some restraint from what you eat.

I can agree with that

(08-21-2021, 08:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I call bull [BLEEP]..

Yeah, and there were a few guys who survived Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg, so it must not have been that dangerous.  Right?

Just because you survive Russian Roulette, that doesn't mean there wasn't a bullet in that gun.

Everyone seems to have a grandfather who smoked like a chimney and lived into his 90s.  I do, too.  But that doesn't lead me to believe that smoking doesn't cause cancer.  And I've now lived long enough to see quite a few people die, obviously from bad lifestyle choices, including what they eat.

Sure, you can mind what you eat, exercise everyday, get 8 hours of sleep, drink plenty of water and get hit by a bus while jogging and die.. When it's your time, it's your time.. But to say you can't enjoy the things you like in life because death is knocking down your door, you're just living in fear.. And if you want to live in fear, be my guest.. You can eat what you like, the key is moderation. 

And what doesn't cause cancer this day in age? The sun even causes cancer, certain air can cause cancer and even diet sodas..

But you go ahead and keep living in fear.. Just watch out for that bus while jogging.

I'd rather live my life and enjoy it while I can than get a few extra years where I'm mostly incapacitated and turn in to a useless, cranky, mean, old codger...... YOLO!
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Genetics do have a lot to do with it. I’ve got two older brothers, both “health nuts”. Run marathons, work out all the time and watch what they eat. Both of them have high blood pressure and cholesterol they can’t keep under control.
Me? Only way I’m running is if a clown or a serial killer is chasing me and sometimes my diet resembles that of a 12 year old who’s parents are away for the weekend and left me money for food. My blood pressure and cholesterol are perfect and hasn’t wavered more than a point or two in years.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(08-21-2021, 10:24 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Genetics do have a lot to do with it. I’ve got two older brothers, both “health nuts”. Run marathons, work out all the time and watch what they eat. Both of them have high blood pressure and cholesterol they can’t keep under control.
Me? Only way I’m running is if a clown or a serial killer is chasing me and sometimes my diet resembles that of a 12 year old who’s parents are away for the weekend and left me money for food. My blood pressure and cholesterol are perfect and hasn’t wavered more than a point or two in years.

Blood measurements aren’t an issue for heartless vixens, so… Tongue

Come at me, woman! I can run faster scared than you can angry.

(08-21-2021, 10:48 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 10:24 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Genetics do have a lot to do with it. I’ve got two older brothers, both “health nuts”. Run marathons, work out all the time and watch what they eat. Both of them have high blood pressure and cholesterol they can’t keep under control.

Blood measurements aren’t an issue for heartless vixens, so… Tongue

Psssh…you know you love me! Tongue
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Sometimes its not about living longer but feeling better while you're still around. Yeah you can get hit by a bus tomorrow but if you're on five prescription meds with all of their side effects making you feel craptastic because you won't control your nutrition and get moderate exercise is it worth it? My FIL is that guy who will not change his diet. My MIL cooks somewhat healthy food but they're southern and southern cooking takes a lot of nutrition out of food. He, actually they are both on several RX meds and suffer from side effects and drug interactions. A change just in how they cook their meals would reverse many of the problems (over time) that have them on the meds in the first place. And they both desperately need to eat low carb.

I had to go low carb and completely cut sugar from my diet earlier this year to control silent reflux. I don't really miss anything except the pumpkin and dark chocolate chip muffins I would get from the local health food store. Those things have crack in them, I swear. The reflux is under control, I actually lost weight I had gained after colon surgery in 2018, and feel better. Being a woman "of a certain age" now also brings hormone imbalances that cause all kinds of chaos if not treated and a nutritionally dense diet is part of that treatment. If I have to live another 40-50 years I want to feel good doing it.

My husband went low carb/keto before I did to stave off high blood pressure and diabetes (bad genetics knocking on his door) and he only takes one RX now for asthma. He also lost about 15-20lbs and says his body odor doesn't smell as nasty as it did before.

(08-21-2021, 11:07 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 10:48 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Blood measurements aren’t an issue for heartless vixens, so… Tongue

Psssh…you know you love me! Tongue

Wink

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021, 06:02 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

RIP, Nathan’s hot dog champ. It was nice knowing you.

(08-21-2021, 09:48 AM)The Drifter Wrote: I'd rather live my life and enjoy it while I can than get a few extra years where I'm mostly incapacitated and turn in to a useless, cranky, mean, old codger...... YOLO!

But you've already made it... Huh
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I had two hotdogs while I floated the river yesterday. Didn't wear any sunscreen either.

Living dangerously!

(08-22-2021, 04:00 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I had two hotdogs while I floated the river yesterday. Didn't wear any sunscreen either.

Living dangerously!

MAN! You are living on the edge there........ But then again, YOLO!

Moderation is the key. You can indulge in an unhealthy snack or drink or smoke from time to time as long as you don't overdo it. Reducing stress is probably one of the most important things for long term health.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I read a study once on centenarians and while there was no one set rule as to why they all lived so long, they did find three commonalities between all of them:

1) All had always been within their ideal weight guidelines.
2) All took little to no medication.
3) All handle stress very well. They did not dwell on their problems. On that note it’s worthy mentioning that most had no or only one or two children. In other words, kids will help drive you to your grave.

(08-22-2021, 05:23 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I read a study once on centenarians and while there was no one set rule as to why they all lived so long, they did find three commonalities between all of them:

1) All had always been within their ideal weight guidelines.
2) All took little to no medication.
3) All handle stress very well. They did not dwell on their problems. On that note it’s worthy mentioning that most had no or only one or two children. In other words, kids will help drive you to your grave.
That’s interesting on a few levels.  

1.  Being your ideal weight can  be achieved from not over indulging and being somewhat active. I know it’s not that easy for many people.  But this is where diet and exercise come into play.  Those that have a proper diet and exercise as well included with the good genes people that don’t over do it on the food.  So that makes sense. 

2. I’d have to think, if you’re not on meds you should be an otherwise healthy person.  Even if you’re controlling high BP or diabetes with medication, there still an issue.  So no meds makes a lot of sense here too

3.  Stress.  Yes, it makes sense to live a stress free life.  It makes one just feel better.  That seems to be a biggie with a lot of people.  Also, it’s just crazy how much our brain has control on our bodies other than tell it to move, breath/oxygenate, digest etc.  it’s crazy to think worry, stress, anxiety and such can take so many years off.