Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
RIP Charlie Watts

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music...t-1161926/

What a ride.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah, just heard. Exuded a cool that was envied and admired by musicians worldwide. Helluva a drummer, too.

RIP Mr. Watts

Damn. Glad I got to see them a couple years ago at the stadium. RIP
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

My favorite band growing up. I saw them in the Gator Bowl in 1976. I guess that means I am old, too.

Wasn't really in to The Rolling Stones but.... I saw them back in 1981 at the Capitol Center in Landover Maryland.... Back then most concert tickets were $11-$12 dollars.... But the Stones, the Tickets were $20 a pop...... This was during their Tattoo You Tour. The stage set up was awesome to say the least. And the lighting... looked like the album cover at the time iirc..... The Stones were just one of those bands I had to see in concert, Just like I had to see The Grateful Dead who I saw back in 1990 in Knoblesville Indiana . So, I checked those 2 bands off my bucket list anyway
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(08-24-2021, 05:00 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Wasn't really in to The Rolling Stones but.... I saw them back in 1981 at the Capitol Center in Landover Maryland.... 

Wow we actually have something in common.  I saw them @ RFK Stadium in DC back in the 90s.

I bought my first Stones album in the mid 70s, Exile On Main Street. Thought it was good but also bought Sgt Pepper around the same time and became a lifelong Beatles fan, so invested most of my LP money in them for the next few years..Still liked the Stones though, Let It Bleed is a classic.

The Stones were the last bridge to classic rock. It's pretty much over.

Hold on as long as you can Pete.
s
;

;

(08-24-2021, 08:48 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: The Stones were the last bridge to classic rock.  It's pretty much over.

I don't even know who this guy is but it brings up an interesting question for me. What do you consider classic rock? Rock from 1950-1975? Or anything older than 20 years old? Is grunge era 90s considered classic rock these days?

(08-25-2021, 03:03 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 08:48 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: The Stones were the last bridge to classic rock.  It's pretty much over.

I don't even know who this guy is but it brings up an interesting question for me. What do you consider classic rock? Rock from 1950-1975? Or anything older than 20 years old? Is grunge era 90s considered classic rock these days?

It's just my opinion but I view about 1964 to 1980 or so as the classic rock period. Punk and new wave had started by the late 70s which were subgenres in their own right. Disco started in the mid-70s but you can't really consider that rock. Prior to 64 was more the proto-rock period (rockabilly, pre-British invasion, skiffle, etc).

Of course many classic rock bands that peaked in that era continued making music in later years but by then had mostly hit the downside or gone in different directions.

Grunge, hair-bands, nu-metal...these are older subgenres now but I'd classify them differently. Again just my opinion.

(08-25-2021, 05:52 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 03:03 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don't even know who this guy is but it brings up an interesting question for me. What do you consider classic rock? Rock from 1950-1975? Or anything older than 20 years old? Is grunge era 90s considered classic rock these days?

It's just my opinion but I view about 1964 to 1980 or so as the classic rock period. Punk and new wave had started by the late 70s which were subgenres in their own right. Disco started in the mid-70s but you can't really consider that rock. Prior to 64 was more the proto-rock period (rockabilly, pre-British invasion, skiffle, etc).

Of course many classic rock bands that peaked in that era continued making music in later years but by then had mostly hit the downside or gone in different directions.

Grunge, hair-bands, nu-metal...these are older subgenres now but I'd classify them differently. Again just my opinion.

Exactly.  You could stop at 78.  It was very much already starting to change.
s
;

;

(08-25-2021, 03:03 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

I generally put 50's and early 60's into the Oldies category. I think classic rock starts around mid-60's and into the early 80's even for some of the bands that were playing in the decade prior. For example, Steve Miller Band's Abracadabra is absolutely classic rock and released in 82. 

I think around the mid-80s began a new genre, whether it was the influence of MTV, or punk and thrash bands moving into mainstream, but there's a different vibe for lack of a better term for that era of music when contrasted with classic rock's sound. Maybe it's production quality? Like I'd classify Diver Down or Women and Children First as Classic Rock by Van Halen, but any of the Van Hagar stuff not even close to classic rock, even if it is over 20 years old.

Kinda makes me cringe when I hear Metallica or Nirvana on the classic rock station, mainly because I forget that those works are now decades old

(08-25-2021, 10:18 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 03:03 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don't even know who this guy is but it brings up an interesting question for me. What do you consider classic rock? Rock from 1950-1975? Or anything older than 20 years old? Is grunge era 90s considered classic rock these days?

I generally put 50's and early 60's into the Oldies category. I think classic rock starts around mid-60's and into the early 80's even for some of the bands that were playing in the decade prior. For example, Steve Miller Band's Abracadabra is absolutely classic rock and released in 82. 

I think around the mid-80s began a new genre, whether it was the influence of MTV, or punk and thrash bands moving into mainstream, but there's a different vibe for lack of a better term for that era of music when contrasted with classic rock's sound. Maybe it's production quality? Like I'd classify Diver Down or Women and Children First as Classic Rock by Van Halen, but any of the Van Hagar stuff not even close to classic rock, even if it is over 20 years old.

Kinda makes me cringe when I hear Metallica or Nirvana on the classic rock station, mainly because I forget that those works are now decades old

Haha, I hear ya. I still catch myself thinking of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden as "those new bands from Seattle".

It broke my heart to see what happened to rock in the 90s. Although I'm not completely discounting it as bad music, the genre crashed from an atmosphere of love, optimism and good times to dark self-loathing and defeat. Grunge is depressing.

(08-25-2021, 11:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It broke my heart to see what happened to rock in the 90s. Although I'm not completely discounting it as bad music, the genre crashed from an atmosphere of love, optimism and good times to dark self-loathing and defeat. Grunge is depressing.

There were some positive developments in the 90s too though. Aerosmith was experiencing their revival. Foo Fighters were born out of the tragedy of Nirvana. The Black Crows and Smashing Pumpkins got their debuts. Red Hot Chili Peppers released Blood Sugar Sex Magic. It wasn't ALL grunge although it seemed like it sometimes.

From Kieth Richards autobiography: In 1984, the Stones were in Amsterdam. Keith and Mick returned to the hotel at 5:00 AM. Mick wanted to talk with Charlie.
“Don’t call him, not at this time,” said Keith. “But he did, and said: ‘Where is my drummer?’ There was no answer, and he hung up the phone.”
According to Keith, 20 minutes later someone knocked on the door of the room he was in with Mick. It was Charlie, who, far from showing up in his pajamas at that hour, looked perfectly dressed in a suit, tie and perfume.
“I opened the door and he didn’t even look at me, he walked right past me, stood in front of Mick and said, ‘Never call me your drummer again. I am not your drummer, you are my damn singer.' Then he grabbed him by the lapels of his jacket. and gave him a right hook “, Richards recounted
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(08-25-2021, 11:41 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 11:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It broke my heart to see what happened to rock in the 90s. Although I'm not completely discounting it as bad music, the genre crashed from an atmosphere of love, optimism and good times to dark self-loathing and defeat. Grunge is depressing.

There were some positive developments in the 90s too though. Aerosmith was experiencing their revival. Foo Fighters were born out of the tragedy of Nirvana. The Black Crows and Smashing Pumpkins got their debuts. Red Hot Chili Peppers released Blood Sugar Sex Magic. It wasn't ALL grunge although it seemed like it sometimes.

Yes, there were some 'bright' spots in the 90s. Grunge at first was okay because it was different, then it became annoying. I remember digging into one guy I worked with because he couldn't get enough of the song "Creep" by Radiohead. The guitar tracks are good but the lyrics are just so self-loathing. Why would you listen to that?

Hair metal mercifully died fast (it was okay in small doses). I don't recall which band it was that had to call it quits in the middle of a tour while literally on the road. The company which leased them their tour bus repossessed it between shows.

I need to watch Rock Star again with Mark Walberg.

(08-25-2021, 12:28 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I need to watch Rock Star again with Mark Walberg.

Steel Dragon standing in for Judas Priest, rockin'!

Big Grin

much like punk blossomed in response to disco's popularity, grunge was a retaliation against glam bands. For this reason, I can't ever besmirch grunge.

and I may be wrong but bands like Skinny Puppy and the Smiths were bringing that darkness and self-loathing in the mid-80s, too, so it wasn't completely new.

I love 70's and 80's rock but I am so ignorant to individual band members that I had to Google Charlie Watts to see who had died. There are exactly two groups where I know all of the band members. Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.

So sue me.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]