Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
RIP Charlie Watts

(08-25-2021, 11:55 AM)The Drifter Wrote: From Kieth Richards autobiography: In 1984, the Stones were in Amsterdam. Keith and Mick returned to the hotel at 5:00 AM. Mick wanted to talk with Charlie.
“Don’t call him, not at this time,” said Keith. “But he did, and said: ‘Where is my drummer?’ There was no answer, and he hung up the phone.”
According to Keith, 20 minutes later someone knocked on the door of the room he was in with Mick. It was Charlie, who, far from showing up in his pajamas at that hour, looked perfectly dressed in a suit, tie and perfume.
“I opened the door and he didn’t even look at me, he walked right past me, stood in front of Mick and said, ‘Never call me your drummer again. I am not your drummer, you are my damn singer.' Then he grabbed him by the lapels of his jacket. and gave him a right hook “, Richards recounted

#goals

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-25-2021, 02:56 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 11:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It broke my heart to see what happened to rock in the 90s. Although I'm not completely discounting it as bad music, the genre crashed from an atmosphere of love, optimism and good times to dark self-loathing and defeat. Grunge is depressing.

much like punk blossomed in response to disco's popularity, grunge was a retaliation against glam bands. For this reason, I can't ever besmirch grunge.

and I may be wrong but bands like Skinny Puppy and the Smiths were bringing that darkness and self-loathing in the mid-80s, too, so it wasn't completely new.

Those bands were more cult following while grunge was mainstream, but fair point.