Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Preseason Grades for 1st Round rookies

From CBSSports...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-r...ce-gets-c/

FWIW, Trevor Lawrence got a C+, but more due to what is/isn't around him.

D6, do you agree with the D given to penei Sewell?

I saw he gave up the sack against Rousseau (who got an A-).  Are you dissatisfied with him thus far, or are you more patient?

Why?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-24-2021, 08:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: From CBSSports...

I saw he gave up the sack against Rousseau (who got an A-).  Are you dissatisfied with him thus far, or are you more patient?

Why?

Bullseye, the grade probably is a little lower than I thought it would be. I would have thought a C-. 

In the pre-season game vs. Buffalo, Penei Sewell got off to a slow start on the Lions first set of downs. Including, the play you mentioned. On the next drive, which went 18 plays before the Lions settled for a FG, Sewell rebounded with 1st Round caliber run and pass blocking.  The entire starting Offensive Line was taken out of the game after that.

In Pittsburgh, Penei Sewell struggled run and pass blocking. The transition for Sewell back to RT, the position he played in High School,  probably has contributed to inconsistency both in practice and in the pre-season.

I'm encouraged overall about how the Lions 2021 Draft crop is progressing.  But one of the best Lions stories this summer is CB A.J. Parker, an UDRFA from Kansas St., is on the verge of being the Lions starting Nickel CB.  

The most improbable Lions positive story this month is regarding RB Gerald Reynolds, who played briefly in a couple of games with the Jaguars last season, in-between Practice Squad stints.  The Jags released him in March.  Reynolds was signed a day before the first Lions pre-season game.  In the two pre-season games, he's performed on the level of at least a # 2 RB.  Including, looking natural as a receiver.  Granted, he's only played in the 4th QTR of both games.  But with D' Andre Swift's status for the regular season opener iffy at best, Reynolds has a realistic shot of being on the Lions opening day 53 man roster

(08-24-2021, 10:13 PM)D6 Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 08:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: From CBSSports...

Why?

Bullseye, the grade probably is a little lower than I thought it would be. I would have thought a C-. 

In the pre-season game vs. Buffalo, Penei Sewell got off to a slow start on the Lions first set of downs. Including, the play you mentioned. On the next drive, which went 18 plays before the Lions settled for a FG, Sewell rebounded with 1st Round caliber run and pass blocking.  The entire starting Offensive Line was taken out of the game after that.

In Pittsburgh, Penei Sewell struggled run and pass blocking. The transition for Sewell back to RT, the position he played in High School,  probably has contributed to inconsistency both in practice and in the pre-season.

I'm encouraged overall about how the Lions 2021 Draft crop is progressing.  But one of the best Lions stories this summer is CB A.J. Parker, an UDRFA from Kansas St., is on the verge of being the Lions starting Nickel CB.  

The most improbable Lions positive story this month is regarding RB Gerald Reynolds, who played briefly in a couple of games with the Jaguars last season, in-between Practice Squad stints.  The Jags released him in March.  Reynolds was signed a day before the first Lions pre-season game.  In the two pre-season games, he's performed on the level of at least a # 2 RB.  Including, looking natural as a receiver.  Granted, he's only played in the 4th QTR of both games.  But with D' Andre Swift's status for the regular season opener iffy at best, Reynolds has a realistic shot of being on the Lions opening day 53 man roster

There was a guy who did a breakdown on Sewell on youtube.

Sewell, like Little, sat out last year due to Covid.  The guy doing the breakdown identified bad hand placement as a problem and attributed it possibly due to him sitting out last year due to  the Covid.  People have said similar things about Walker Little.

If this is true, I wonder how long it will take both players to get over the rust sitting out last year created in their games.

Who do you think is on the Detroit bubble?  Any starters or key contributors from last year?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Chase, Sewell, Little...are any of the guys who opted out doing well?

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2021, 08:16 PM by D6. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-25-2021, 10:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 10:13 PM)D6 Wrote: Bullseye, the grade probably is a little lower than I thought it would be. I would have thought a C-. 

There was a guy who did a breakdown on Sewell on youtube.

Sewell, like Little, sat out last year due to Covid.  The guy doing the breakdown identified bad hand placement as a problem and attributed it possibly due to him sitting out last year due to  the Covid.  People have said similar things about Walker Little.

If this is true, I wonder how long it will take both players to get over the rust sitting out last year created in their games.

Who do you think is on the Detroit bubble?  Any starters or key contributors from last year?

The person who made the YouTube video made a good observation. The lack of.consistency with technique in general clearly has contributed to the inconsistencies of Penei Sewell.  Not just in the pre-season games.  It's been a reported issue in practice as well.  In the case of Sewell, he's not even 21 yet.  The growing pains aren't surprising, when age, not playing last season, and adjusting to RT again, are all combined. I'm very optimistic Sewell has a bright future, even if his rookie season is much like his first two pre-season games.

With the Lions already having a massive amount of changes on the roster since last season, the only remaining starter from last season who I believe is in danger of being released is DT John Penisini. He was a pleasant surprise as a 6th Round pick as a rookie.  But with limited upside as a pass rusher, missing plenty of time this summer because of injury, and Interior D-Line being the deepest position unit on a team that has depth issues at most other positions, he's at the very least on the roster bubble.

There are 3 other players of note that are on the roster bubble:

1. WR Breshad Perriman, who the Lions signed as an UFA from the Jets.  Perriman has dealt with injury this summer but his history of inconsistency has surfaced even dating back to off-season practices open to the media. Perriman was expected to be the Lions # 2 WR. This could still happen. But he must step up against the Colts tomorrow night in the pre-season finale. Dan Campbell is much more open with the media than Matt Patricia was.  Campbell in essence said that Perriman needs to be better.

2. LB Jahlani Tavai.  He looks like yet another Lions 2nd Round selection that won't pan out. He was way over-drafted out of Hawaii. In large part, a microcosm of the failure of the Bob Quinn-Matt Patricia regime. Tavai to his credit lost a lot of weight in the off-season in order to fit the new Defensive Scheme under DC Aaron Glenn. But he's still too limited athletically and makes too many mental / processing mistakes.

3..CB Corn Elder. As an UFA from the Panthers, he was the favorite to be the Lions Nickel CB. Injury, lack of versatility, and overall disappointing practices probably will lead to him being released in the coming days.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!